Civilization IV

having seen this game droolingly praised on here over and over, I broke down and bought it (well, I had this gift card for Walmart that I got for Christmas just sitting around). Played a couple of short try-out games as Rome... and I admit, I do see the appeal of it. So many paths you can take, and just which are the right ones is up in the air. So far, haven't really been in any large scale warfare, but that's about to change...

It's pretty awesome. And as you play more, the more interesting situations you find yourself in. BTW, try to play different civilizations.

I just read the previews for Civilization V. I remember playing Civ I and Civ II, but felt things were getting too complex by Civ III.

looking forward to Civ V.... I've lost countless hours to the CIV series (mostly fighting off the damn Aztecs) but was never happy with how diplomacy worked. Looks like they revamped it a bit for the upcoming game

I created a thread on Civ V. It is titled Civilization Network. I asked Ian to change it but he ignored me.

The learning curve is days, but we can probably shave off a few hours for you if you need any help. After playing a couple generic games, try mods. RFC is a good one. Just DL the most updated version before you play it.

I created a thread on Civ V. It is titled Civilization Network. I asked Ian to change it but he ignored me.

The learning curve is days, but we can probably shave off a few hours for you if you need any help. After playing a couple generic games, try mods. RFC is a good one. Just DL the most updated version before you play it.

*cough* Rise of Mankind 2+A New Dawn *cough*

That is, if your computer can handle it. I'll admit, FFH2 is fun as well, but not my kind of mod.

I've played dozens of mods but always ended up going back to RoM (which is suppose to reach its final version, 3.00, before Civ5 is released.).

um...Civ 5 isn't out yet...they just announced the Hexagonal tile set at GDC yesterday or wednesday.

um...Civ 5 isn't out yet...they just announced the Hexagonal tile set at GDC yesterday or wednesday.
We've known they were using hexagons since they first announced the game. They've recently filled out the Civ list though I think.

On Civ4, it's excellent, especially some of the mods. RFC is really fun. Haven't tried Rise of Mankind yet but it looks cool.

Play RFC. You won't regret it.

Yes you will. I played RFC 600 AD as China...

Don't... just don't... (bloody Mongols... :mad::mad::mad:)

Then I played as England, only to have endless wars with Spain and Amsterdam secede and get gobbled up by France during a period of civil war. :mad::mad::mad:

I don't mean to insult anybody, but I cannot stand Rise of Mankind. Their philosophy is to throw in as much content they can find, which seriously, IMO, spoils the game.

Right now, the mod I'm playing is Rhye's and Fall of Civilization: Europe, which is amazing! Revolution DCM is also very good. They add in minimal new content, but many new features. It's very cool.

I don't mean to insult anybody, but I cannot stand Rise of Mankind. Their philosophy is to throw in as much content they can find, which seriously, IMO, spoils the game.

I actually love that. For a mod for an obscene number of techs, units, and features, it still comes off rather balance and on marathon is a fun experience.

I've been playing Civ IV while reading this thread. I've conquered the two Indian cities closest to me; Delhi was a slog.

There are some good basic guides and early-game guides I recommend googling for. My favorite civ4 site is civfanatics.

I don't know if I'll buy civV. Realism's important to me, and, right now, it's sounded like a litle far gone toward play balance from reality for me. Reality has far-lopsided armies, economies, %c. Of course, then, reality doesn't have immortal rulers ruling their countries forever......

Yes you will. I played RFC 600 AD as China...

Don't... just don't... (bloody Mongols... :mad::mad::mad:)

Then I played as England, only to have endless wars with Spain and Amsterdam secede and get gobbled up by France during a period of civil war. :mad::mad::mad:
Try the strategies on Rhye's website.
http://rhye.civfanatics.net/wiki/index.php?title=Strategy_guides
You definitely won't regret it.
I don't know if I'll buy civV. Realism's important to me, and, right now, it's sounded like a litle far gone toward play balance from reality for me. Reality has far-lopsided armies, economies, %c. Of course, then, reality doesn't have immortal rulers ruling their countries forever......
I agree. It looks like they're just stripping away everything that made it Civ and generally dumbing it down. Hexagons is fine, but...........One unit per tile?:mad: Taking out religion and culture:mad::mad::mad: One leader per civ?:mad: And using Wu Zintao for China?:mad:
Well, I suppose there are some other good points like eaders speaking in their native language in sound, but still:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited: