Caesar Lives: A timeline of the Roman Empire

Hmm. Well, actually, now that I think about it, it would provide some interesting friction between the Romano-Britons and the tribes. It'd keep the Demokratia on its toes, and still powerful enough to be a major regional power.

All right. I'll change it tonight or tomorrow night and have the changed version up tomorrow. Cool, man! ;)

All right, here's what I got.

There, though he fought well and moved quickly, the Britannian tribes were much more powerful than Lepidus had expected. Thus, he was only able to carve a zone of control in the south-east of the island with great difficulty. This lead to Caesar demoting him from governor of Gallica in favor of Quintus Pedius, the deaf son of the late Senator of the same name.* The borders between Britannia Barbaros and Britannia Romana were quickly established with a makeshift wall.

After Caesar left, the afore-mentioned Antonius Phaedos found his chance to regain his power. Meeting secretly with the other members of the massive slave force in Britannia, he developed a plot to overthrow Quintus Pedius and the legion garrisoning Britannia and establish an independent Demokratos, or people-ruled state, based upon the old Athenian system. First, however, he would have to gain the help of the powerful tribe of Brigantes in the north. With the island's fragile political hiearchy crushed by the entrance of the Romans, the Brigantes had subjugated the lesser tribes of northern and west Britannia, and were the biggest headache for Quintus Pedius. Phaedos managed to slip out of his camp in May of 38 B.C., and met with the leader of the Brigantes, Cerphandorix. Cerphandorix agreed to support Phaedos' rebellion and join in a union with the freed slaves as long as the Brigantes got a major voice in the running of the nation.

In July of 38 B.C., Phaedos carried out his plan, rising up in a massive, province-wide revolution, while Cerphandorix led his men in a massive invasion into the north.

By the way, I've started writing again, and I might have an update up today or tomorrow.

All right, here's what I got.

There, though he fought well and moved quickly, the Britannian tribes were much more powerful than Lepidus had expected. Thus, he was only able to carve a zone of control in the south-east of the island with great difficulty. This lead to Caesar demoting him from governor of Gallica in favor of Quintus Pedius, the deaf son of the late Senator of the same name.* The borders between Britannia Barbaros and Britannia Romana were quickly established with a makeshift wall.

After Caesar left, the afore-mentioned Antonius Phaedos found his chance to regain his power. Meeting secretly with the other members of the massive slave force in Britannia, he developed a plot to overthrow Quintus Pedius and the legion garrisoning Britannia and establish an independent Demokratos, or people-ruled state, based upon the old Athenian system. First, however, he would have to gain the help of the powerful tribe of Brigantes in the north. With the island's fragile political hiearchy crushed by the entrance of the Romans, the Brigantes had subjugated the lesser tribes of northern and west Britannia, and were the biggest headache for Quintus Pedius. Phaedos managed to slip out of his camp in May of 38 B.C., and met with the leader of the Brigantes, Cerphandorix. Cerphandorix agreed to support Phaedos' rebellion and join in a union with the freed slaves as long as the Brigantes got a major voice in the running of the nation.

In July of 38 B.C., Phaedos carried out his plan, rising up in a massive, province-wide revolution, while Cerphandorix led his men in a massive invasion into the north.

By the way, I've started writing again, and I might have an update up today or tomorrow.

Sounds good. I am going to assume that you plan to flesh out more of the structure of the Demokratia in later updates as they try to take advantage of a much humbled Caesarian Empire with a brand new emperor. As an aside is this the same Emperor Tiberius of OTL or is it just someone else. If it is the OTL Tiberius, is he still Caesar official heir or is he just an other provincial emperor. Hell did Livia even marry Augustus TTL ?

Anyway good to hear that your writing again. Looking forward to next update!

Sounds good. I am going to assume that you plan to flesh out more of the structure of the Demokratia in later updates as they try to take advantage of a much humbled Caesarian Empire with a brand new emperor.

Yup, that is the plan.

As an aside is this the same Emperor Tiberius of OTL or is it just someone else. If it is the OTL Tiberius, is he still Caesar official heir or is he just an other provincial emperor.

This Tiberius is not the same one as OTL. TTL's Tiberius is just a talented soldier who impressed Augustus in Germania. While he wasn't Octavian's official heir, he was the Emperor's favorite and is the obvious successor. Also, he's going to prove himself a much harder man to defeat than Octavian, and may even return the Empire to its earlier glory days.

Hell did Livia even marry Augustus TTL ?

Nope, TTL Octavian never married. While he still has relatives who could serve as heirs, Tiberius was still his choice.

Anyway good to hear that your writing again. Looking forward to next update!

Good for me too. Sorry, by the way, but it won't concern the coming Mediterranean--Parthian wars. I really want to flesh out Ptolemy's reign, so I've just made this update about the twenty-six interwar years. I've been working on it for about three hours straight and I should have it polished off and up in about fifteen--twenty minutes.

Here it is. Tell me what you think, eh?

An excerpt from The Slow Revolution: Industrialization in Mediterranea

by Antonius Gracchus

The Reign of Ptolemy XV Philopater Philometer Caesar, 1st Imperator of the Romano-Kemetics, and of the Imperial Dominion of Mediterranea

1 A.E.--72 A.E. (43 B.C.--29 A.D.)

Part Two: Pax Ptolemaio

Upon Ptolemy's return from Hellas, he instituted a new rash of reforms and public projects. Hellas was officially added to the empire as a sixth magistrata. Arabia was officially split between the two magistrata of Judea and Kemet. Meanwhile, the recent agitation for demokratic(1) reforms along the lines of Demokratia Britannia caused Ptolemy to implement a revolutionary system in the six magistrata. Each magistratos would be elected by the people of the magistrata. Each candidate, however, would have to be approved by Ptolemy himself before being allowed to run. He also declared Hellenic the official language of Great Meditteranea, a move that is well-received in both Kemet and Hellas.

Meanwhile, in Judea, a rising Jewish politician named Yousef of Bethlehem(2), realizing that the laws of Mediterranea are not being recorded, commissioned the writing of a Mesogeios Vivlio ton Nomon, or Mediterranean Book of Laws. Ptolemy gave the project his official approval and adopts as the Book of Laws for all of Great Mediterranea; a copy was required to be displayed in the capital of each magistrata (3). Yousef was soon approved as a candidate for the Judean elections, and became the magistratos of Judea in 23 A.E. Though he was young, he soon became one of Ptolemy's most trusted advisors on legal matters, and indeed, would advise his leader to invade Parthia. But not just yet.

For twenty-six more years, Ptolemy's reign progressed peacefully and beautifully. A new Diolkos was completed in the Levant, connecting the Mediterranean to the rich ports of Arabia, and allowing delicious Arabian spices to begin flowing into the great inner sea. In Judea, rich Jewish merchants in Jaffa were beginning to prosper from the flow of spices from the south. Jaffa was rapidly becoming a second Alexandria, as the aforementioned merchants began contracting architects, artists, and inventors from the capital to come to the city and change it. The city was quickly becoming a paragon of Jewish civilization, with the great Temple of Jaffa becoming the new center of Judaism itself. Tall, close-together, sand-colored buildings perched on the shoreline, with some houses' doors opening right out onto the water.

There was a third great urban center developing in Mediterranea. The city of Knossos, on the island of Crete, was also using the profitable trade in spices to drag itself out of a long, long decline. Talented spice merchants such as the famed Ergoteles Minoas were beginning to use their newfound riches to beautify their home. Hellenic philosophers, architects, and artists began to stream southwards to this new center of Hellenic civilization. However, just as Jaffa was becoming a definitively Jewish city, so Knossos was becoming a definitively Hellenic city. Widely-spaced, light-but-colored, and massive buildings dominated the city. The city was filled with statues and temples of the god Poseidon, the patron deity of the city. The ancient center of Minoa was rapidly returning to its ancient glory.

However, not all of the Dominion was as advanced as these three great cities. Though Kemet was still a glorious center of civilization, its two neighbors, Africanus and Judea, were not as well off. While Judea hosted Jaffa and Jerusalem, two of the Dominion's greatest cities, this magistrata was the most volatile of them all. Jewish rebels conducted a low-level partisan war (even more low-level after Yousef's election) in the countryside, permanently damaging what could have been quite a substantial farming industry. Mediterranean troops were permanently stationed in the spice farms of southern Judea to protect the nation's most profitable industry. The cities, though, were oases of peace in a volatile magistrata.

Africanus was no better. Though it was, along with the Nile Valley, the breadbasket of Mediterranea, it was also the core of Mediterranea's slave trade. The native Berber people were looked down upon by both their Kemetic neighbors and their Hellenic masters, and were used as forced labor in the massive farms of Africanus. The “surplus” Berbers were shipped off to Caesarea and even Demokratia Britannia by the African slavers, bringing massive profits to the African slavers, who in turn brought them to their home cities of Alexandria, Jaffa, and Knossos, making them even more beautiful. As a result, Africanus remained poor, backward, and unequal.

Bosporus, in the north, was also quite volatile, though less so than Judea. Armenian rebels constantly
captured and killed travelers on the tiny roads, and attacked the few military posts scattered through the magistrata. With Ptolemy's absolute lack of interest in Bosporus, and the absence of any real economic centers in the magistrata, besides Rhodes, the magistrata remained poor, backward, and almost entirely untamed. The Mediterranean Book of Laws was ignored in the cities and backroads of Bosporus, while the magistratos sat happy and corrupt in his peaceful island seat at Rhodes.

Hellas, besides Kemet, was the most peaceful and civilized magistrata of them all. While Macedonia remained as poor and backward as it had been since its brief spurt of glory, Athens, Thebes, and the cities of the Pelopennesse, with their economies now geared towards Knossos, were excellent subsidiary cities, along the lines of Jerusalem or Memphis. However, the revolution in Britannia had sparked off a renaissance in demokratic ideals in the cities of Hellas, and many in Athens and Thebes were petitioning the magistratos in Knossos, Damocles Berias, to reform the political structure of Hellas even more than it already was, to allow the former city-states more say in their own affairs. Berias, in turn, was constantly asking his liege, Ptolemy, for the permission to enact these reforms. Ptolemy, who felt that this quasi-demokracy was as far as he would go in his reforms, refused. All of this led to an uneasy balance in the Dominion, all presided over by an almost universally-beloved Imperator. But this balance was soon to be shattered, in a succession of wars that would affect the politics, mindset, and culture of Mediterranea for over a generation.

Footnotes:

(1) Demokratic=democratic. Britannia's popularization of the word eventually leads to this little quirk in Mediterranea's dialect.
(2) The first fictional character I've introduced here. He'll play a large part in the succession crisis, later on.
(3) Pretty much a mixture of the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and legal tomes worldwide, the Mediterranean Book of Laws details all the rights a citizen of Great Mediterranea has, all the actions that are considered crimes in Mediterranea, the legal definition of ownership, and pretty much every other legality in Mediterranea.

It would be nice if the Brittanian Republic eventually collapsed and was replaced by a Kingdom of Brittania or something like that. Anyways, this is interesting.

Wow you typed that up really fast. Nice to see you doing a good amount of elaboration of Mediterranea.

A number of points to be made

- Temple of Jaffa ? If I am not mistaken there could be only one Temple in Judaism. I mean so long as it exisited in its various forms, the Jerusalem Temple was THE central focus of all Judaism. Any attempt to steal this title would have seemed borderline heretical if you were a Jew.Unless by temple you mean Synagogue.

- Wouldn't the Red Sea- Nile Diolkos already connect the Red Sea to the Mediterranean ? Also why have what is essentially a ship railway if you could just fix up the currently silted up canal linking the Red Sea to the Mediterranean?

- Nice to see Crete treated like less of backwater TTL :)

- By Bosporus I assume you mean all of Asia Minor. If so what ever happened to all the rich Greek cities on/near the Aegean Coast? Major centres like Ephesus, Pergamom or Smyrna don't just melt away just like that!!!

- What about the newly rebuilt city of Carthage ? Or the old administrative centre of Utica? It would be rather poor form if Caesar's own son ignored one of his father's major rebuilding projects.

Anyway I look forward to seeing how the upcoming Parthian war is going to unfold.

Wow you typed that up really fast. Nice to see you doing a good amount of elaboration of Mediterranea.

A number of points to be made

- Temple of Jaffa ? If I am not mistaken there could be only one Temple in Judaism. I mean so long as it exisited in its various forms, the Jerusalem Temple was THE central focus of all Judaism. Any attempt to steal this title would have seemed borderline heretical if you were a Jew.Unless by temple you mean Synagogue.

My idea was that without Herod renovating the temple in 20 B.C. (it was already collapsing by then), the rich Jewish elite of Judea saw good reasons for moving the main temple to Jaffa. A reasonably good argument could be made for the idea that with Jerusalem deteriorating as the economic and intellectual center of Judaism and Jaffa rising, the spiritual center should also be moved.

- Wouldn't the Red Sea- Nile Diolkos already connect the Red Sea to the Mediterranean ?

It does, but it's quite an inefficient and slow route, much further than simply going over the Levant.

Also why have what is essentially a ship railway if you could just fix up the currently silted up canal linking the Red Sea to the Mediterranean?

Well, economically speaking, it would be much cheaper to build said ship railway rather than basically re-digging the canal.

- Nice to see Crete treated like less of backwater TTL :)

Yeah, I've never seen Knossos become a major center in any TL, so I thought I might as well show the Cretans some love. :D

- By Bosporus I assume you mean all of Asia Minor. If so what ever happened to all the rich Greek cities on/near the Aegean Coast? Major centres like Ephesus, Pergamom or Smyrna don't just melt away just like that!!!

Actually, I don't mean all of Asia Minor. Because of the fact that those centers were founded by Hellenes, the northern 2/3rds of the Aegean coast has been added to Hellas, while the southern 1/3rd, plus Rhodes, remains with Bosporus. This leaves only Rhodes as a major city, and it's basically geared to Knossos by now.

- What about the newly rebuilt city of Carthage ? Or the old administrative centre of Utica? It would be rather poor form if Caesar's own son ignored one of his father's major rebuilding projects.

Carthage has suffered greatly during the Alexandrian renaissance. With the political lines drastically redrawn by Caesar's will, Carthage and Utica became geared towards Kemet as a whole. With Alexandria and Hellas seeming much more civilized than Carthage as a whole, native artists, philosophers, poets, writers, and rich men have been leaving the city in droves and travelling to Alexandria. This has left poor Carthage terribly depleted, though it's still the capital of Africanus. Ptolemy's instituted some token public projects in the city, but they've been mostly lackluster and half-hearted. Utica has been basically ignored by Ptolemy, and has been similarly depleted.

Anyway I look forward to seeing how the upcoming Parthian war is going to unfold.

Wars, my friend. The last few decades of Ptolemy's reign are going to be incredibly bloody.

In response to DirtyCommie's collaboration invitation, I have written an update that fleshes out the army of Caesarion.

The army established by Caesarion's reforms had two central pillars. The first of these were a much modified and expanded Klerouchian system of military farm settlements that had supported earlier Ptolemaic armies. In this system, a soldier was given a plot of state land (called a klerouch) to farm in return for military service. Originally, the klerouch would pass back into the state's hands once the soldier’s military carrier was over either due to death or injury. Over the second century BC however, the system broke down as the klerouch become less a temporary allotment of land made at the Pharaoh's sufferance and more an inheritable piece of personal property that was heavily taxed. As a result of this the actual Klerouchoi went from a soldier class to landed aristocracy.

To reverse this trend, Caesarion’s decreed that instead of being taxed, the Klerouchoi were required to provide a certain number of troops based on the size of their estate. He then went about radically expanding the system all across the empire by incorporating all existing land holdings with an area greater than a certain threshold value into the Klerouch system. To ensure that the system did not cause complete economic collapse at the advent of war, Caesarion then divided the Klerouchoi into three distinct classes. The first was the full Klerouchoi which were required to support a number of full-time professional troops. The second was the partial Klerouchoi required to provide a number of troops for the duration of a certain campaign or war. The third was the emergency Klerouchoi, who were essentially standard land owners required to muster in the case of an invasion only.

The second major pillar of the army were the urban soldiers of the Periochi-Stratioton or District Soldiers[1]. These were included because of the sheer amount of urbanisation that Mediterranea had undergone since the death of Caesar. The basis of the urban system was to have individual city districts supply troops either from their own population or to train them using their own resources. This often meant that district raised troops often had a high degree of esprit-de-corps due the feeling of that they were a representation of their home districts in some far away battlefield. Indeed troops from districts in the same city often had a friendly rivalry with each other, something that clever commanders often exploited.

Like the Klerouchoi, the city troops were divided into classes based on the relative wealth of the city districts from which they originated. Thus you could expect a gentrified district like the Brucheum (The Greek District) of Alexandria to produce crack troops like the Alexandrian Hypaspists well known for their daring assault on Roman Syracuse during the war with Augustus. By the same token much poorer districts could only be expected to supply ill disciplined former gang members who were essentially expected to act as meat shields. More prosperous districts however provided men to central training centres where they along with those supplied by the Klerouchois were trained to be the mainstay of the army: the phalanx.

The term phalanx doesn’t mean that all the men fought in that most famous formation. Instead the phalanx was simply an administrative unit similar to the Roman 'Legio'. Indeed similar to the Roman legions, a phalanx consisted not only of infantry fighting in a mixture of styles but also of various ranged troops and light cavalry support.

The heavy infantry in the phalanx fought in two distinct styles. The centre of the line consisted of the traditional Macedonian style pike phalanx. The flanks consisted of the so-called Thorakites, javelin and spear armed heavy infantry who fought in a fashion not unlike that of the Roman Legionaries [2]. The actual proportion of Thorakite to Phalanx was flexible since most soldiers were trained to fight in both roles.

To supplement these Klerouchoi Phalanxes, Caesarion also employed large numbers of actual Roman citizen legionaries. These men were mostly provided by the many Roman colonies in Caesarion's realm in return for tax exemptions and increased autonomy. Since they did not have the kind of resources of the mother city however, the Roman colonies had to deploy their forces according to the manipular formations of the pre Marian army instead of the reformed cohorts of Caesar and Pompey. This essentially meant that the Roman troops would be divided into three lines, the initial hastati made up of the youth, the principes made of the more experienced men and the final triarii made up of the veterans of countless wars [3].

Because of this sequential deployment, armies with significant Roman contingents often sent in the hastati as an initial wave to weaken and demoralise the enemy line. They were only recalled if the enemy had failed to break them and if they had suffered more than thirty percent casualties. As a result of these policies, only a fraction of the hastati who set of on campaign ever survived to be principles. Although the Romans did not actually like this particular policy they went along with it largely because they realised that without Caesarion as their patron, their colonies would easily wither and die as their people slowly but surely assimilated into the surrounding population. In addition once a hastati became a principe, he could expect to receive special privilages and ‘tokens of appreciation’ usually reserved for only the most valuable of the Imperator’s soldiers. Indeed the Triarii were often guarded jealously by their commanders and were only committed in a worst case scenario since they were generally looked on as the best infantry in the entire army.

Finally, for the heavy cavalry arm of the army, Caesarion employed his reformed royal guard: The Basilikon Agema. Originally a heavy infantry unit, Caesarion re-equipped them as heavy lancers in a manner quite similar to Alexander's companion cavalry. Armoured from head to toe in iron plate and mail, armed with the two handed spear and sword and riding half barded horses, the Agema were supreme horseman. Although they were not as heavily armoured as the Parthian cataphracts[4], the Agema had both the incredible discipline and the elan to be considered among the best cavalry in the known world.

[1] I couldn’t find a proper-era specific term for these so as per DC's suggestion I'm using the modern greek for District Soldiers.
[2] Indeed when Romans first encounterd Thorakites, they were so convinced that the Hellenistic kings had copied them wholesale from legions that they referred to them as pseudo-legionnaires
[3] The triarii who served under Caesarion were often veterans of the Antony’s and Caesar’s legions.
[4] A Parthian Cataphract was decked out in iron lamellar and leather armour. His horse was completely barded in scale armour. See link. Although this made him extremely hard to kill, it also made his movement rather ponderous

Last edited:
Hey, guys, bad news. I had written up pretty much all of the next installment of Casear Lives, plus part of the one after that, when my computer froze. I rebooted and it turned out all of my Word documents had been wiped. Luckily, I had most of them on a memory stick...but not Caesar Lives. So, unfortunately, it might be another few days before I have the next update. Sorry. :(