Caesar Lives: A timeline of the Roman Empire

Hi there. And thanks.

So, for the Cantabri and their defeat: the legions stationed in Hispania were due to move north, to Gallica, and so they were rather unprepared for the attack; as well, they were leaderless except for Phillipus Scipio, governor of Hispania. And unlike his great ancestor, Scipio Africanus, he was not the greatest of generals. And so they were overwhelmed and forced back to Valendia. All they needed, really, was organization and a strong leader, and Calvinus gave that to them. So, I really don't think it was that unbelievable. But if you disagree, just say the word and I'll change it.

I didn't know that the Parthians had a feudal-style society! The things you learn. Also, I was little unsure about the size of that army, and I was thinking about making it smaller. I'll do that. Thanks. :eek:

Anthony's base is actually in Rhodes; his allies have been sending him supplies throughout his li'l campaign in Judea. The Kemetic and Caesarian navies, however, have cut that little lifeline off, forcing Anthony to support his army by looting. As a result, many of his troops began deserting; not having enough food kinda does that to you. Anthony was counting on being able to defeat the Kemetics and get to the breadbasket of Europe, north Africa, before his army outright revolted against him. As well, many of the Republican soldiers are disgusted by his brutality in crushing the small garrisons of Kemetic loyalists that he crushes on his way south.

Yes, Cleopatra has been pandering excessively to the native Egyptians to get them on her side (a major strategic mistake), and the blowback will be addressed in the next update.

Thanks, I was thinking that because of all the changes (i.e. the first Caesar becoming much more hardline on the aristocrats), Octavian would become much more brutal, and would lack the PR that would distinguish him in his OTL reign. Also, yeah, Kemet is another bit of pandering, and it will lead to a lot of blowback.

And finally, the intellectual revolution will have a LOT of effects on the Ptolemy dynasty's last few rulers and their reigns.

So, for the Cantabri and their defeat: the legions stationed in Hispania were due to move north, to Gallica, and so they were rather unprepared for the attack; as well, they were leaderless except for Phillipus Scipio, governor of Hispania. And unlike his great ancestor, Scipio Africanus, he was not the greatest of generals. And so they were overwhelmed and forced back to Valendia. All they needed, really, was organization and a strong leader, and Calvinus gave that to them. So, I really don't think it was that unbelievable. But if you disagree, just say the word and I'll change it.

My problem with the Iberian theatre is that at the end of the day, the Cantabri were your prototypical tribal confederacy. Although there is no arguing that they were incredible fighters, I find it highly unlikely that they would have had either the will or the organisational ability to march all the way to Valencia to lay siege to it. The most aggressive stance that the Cantabri were ever recorded to have taken would be the unprovoked raiding of a number of neighbouring tribes that had grown fat thanks to Roman patronage. To have the Cantabri launch some kind of unprovoked imperial adventure to challenge the local hegemon while at the same time ignoring easy opportunities for plunder right next door seems like a big departure from the aforementioned OTL.

I didn't know that the Parthians had a feudal-style society! The things you learn. Also, I was little unsure about the size of that army, and I was thinking about making it smaller. I'll do that. Thanks. :eek:

Hey the more you know;)

Anthony's base is actually in Rhodes; his allies have been sending him supplies throughout his li'l campaign in Judea. The Kemetic and Caesarian navies, however, have cut that little lifeline off, forcing Anthony to support his army by looting. As a result, many of his troops began deserting; not having enough food kinda does that to you. Anthony was counting on being able to defeat the Kemetics and get to the breadbasket of Europe, north Africa, before his army outright revolted against him. As well, many of the Republican soldiers are disgusted by his brutality in crushing the small garrisons of Kemetic loyalists that he crushes on his way south.

OK. Personally I find Antony setting off on such a major campaign without securing his main supply lines by building a sufficiently strong navy or by maintaining a rearguard in Asia Minor and Syria uncharacteristically amateurish. On the other hand you could explain this by saying that Antony had gone all Dionysian hedonist so as to deal with his defeat thus leaving all the work to the much less experienced Brutus.

Yes, Cleopatra has been pandering excessively to the native Egyptians to get them on her side (a major strategic mistake), and the blowback will be addressed in the next update.

Thanks, I was thinking that because of all the changes (i.e. the first Caesar becoming much more hardline on the aristocrats), Octavian would become much more brutal, and would lack the PR that would distinguish him in his OTL reign. Also, yeah, Kemet is another bit of pandering, and it will lead to a lot of blowback.

And finally, the intellectual revolution will have a LOT of effects on the Ptolemy dynasty's last few rulers and their reigns.

Good to know that the Romano-Ptolemies will not be wanked to high heaven.
Also will the Caesarian empire see one last Republican hurrah or has the Octavian hold on power become too strong ?

Anyway thank you for replying to my concerns.
I will be looking forward to your next update
Have fun writing !!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to tell you guys this, but I won't have an update today or tomorrow. I plan to be very drunk this weekend.

But in answer to your question, kee, no, Octavian has a stranglehold on power ATM. Besides, most Republicans are dead or in Kemet.

Unfortunately, I lied unknowingly. There's almost nothing in here about the Alexandrian intellectual revolution, and there is a last gasp of Republican revolt. Sorry.

An excerpt from A Comprehensive History of the Modern World

by Antonius Gracchus

The Reign of Gaius Octavianus Caesar, 1st Emperor of the Caesarian Empire

1 A.E—23 A.E. (43 B.C.-- 20 B.C.)

Gaius Octavianus Caesar, commonly known as Octavian, was the first emperor of the Caesarians, having inherited his empire from his adoptive father, Julius Caesar. He is also one of the most controversial of the Caesarian emperors; on the one hand, he built infrastructure, made Rome one of the most beautiful cities in the world, added the provinces of Germania and Danieca to the Empire, and fully centralized the administration of Caesaria: on the other hand, he allowed what was but a small slave revolt to become a fully fledged Britannian state, he allowed the Empire to be humiliated by their weaker southern counterpart, ruled over a terrifying police state, and slaughtered an estimated 300,000 Caesarian citizens out of crippling paranoia.

Octavian first rose to power in 43 B.C., after the death of Julius Caesar at Rhodes. According to Caesar's will, his empire was to be split between his adopted son Octavian and his real son Ptolemy XV Philometer Philopater Caesar, commonly known as Caesarion ("Little Caesar"). The line was to be "...where the Hellespont intrudes between the two great continents; Asia and Europa." Thusly, Caesarion received Bosporus, Syria, Judea, Africanus, and Aigyptos (in those days known as Kemet) for his Romano-Kemetic Empire. Octavian received Hellas, Italia, Hispania, and Gallica.

The first months of Octavian's reign were marked by chaos as Germanians invaded in the north and Hispanians invaded in the west. These two invasions were quickly put down by Octavian's two most trusted generals; Lepidus and Calvinus. Octavian himself traveled to Kemet, where he assisted Caesarion's regent and mother Cleopatra in crushing Marcus Antonius' Republican revolt. After this show of good will, he returned to Rome, where he declared (his first legal decree) that he and his father were both to be worshiped as gods-on-earth. While this caused rumblings among the clergy, used to getting their way, Octavian quickly crushed this with a few well-placed executions. Only a few days later, he decreed that any who wrote a tome criticizing any Caesarian emperor would be slaughtered, and backed this up with the killing of several well-known writers. This would later lead to the exodus of the intelligentsia from Caesaria; many, including the later-to-be-famed architect Vitruvius, traveled to Alexandria, capital of the Romano-Kemetic Empire, where they contributed to the Alexandrian intellectual revolution. This deprived the Caesarian intellectual scene of its leading lights and left it shabby for many years, as compared to Kemet.

After consolidating his empire, Octavian named Lepidus as governor of Gallica, Calvinus as governor of Hispania, and Gaius Carrinas, a former general, as governor of Hellas-Italia. Octavian then prepared his new army for revenge on the Germanians who had brought such pain to his new empire just a few weeks before, increasing the 10 legions to 18. But before he could attack Germania, he needed to test his new army; and a perfect target waited just across the Gallican Sea.

Britannia. During his Gallic Wars, Julius Caesar had crossed the Gallican Sea and landed on the windswept island, establishing a foothold at Cantium. By invading Britannia, Octavian would accomplish two goals; testing his new army, and besting his late father's achievements. And so, in 40 B.C., Octavian commanded Lepidus, his favorite general, to prepare a fleet and attack Britannia. Lepidus, though aging, quickly followed his master's orders, and sailed across the channel in August. There, he swiftly defeated the Cantici and the rest of the Celtic tribes of southern Britannia. However, he was stopped by the mountains of Pictland, leading to Caesar demoting him from governor of Gallica in favor of Quintus Pedius, the deaf son of the late Senator of the same name.* Britannia was quickly turned into a sort of "work-camp province", where Octavian sent those who displeased him to work on the massive farms and mines Quintus Pedius established after coming to power. Lepidus was the first to go there, and the first to die in 39 B.C. In the same year, a group of Greek Republican bandits were sent to Britannia; among them was Antonius Phaedos, the future leader of Demokratos Britannia.

In 38 B.C., with his new army's power proven, Octavian assumed command of eight legions personally, and marched towards Germania. The Germanians were completely surprised by this attack, and though there was some resistance, they fell before the Roman army's might. After Octavian's forces won the land up to the base of the Daniecan peninsula, he was faced with a choice. Should his mighty army march east and continue subjugating the Germanians, or should the march north and face what surprises the mysterious Daniecans had to offer. He chose the latter option. Unfortunately, there were few riches to be found in Danieca; only gibberish-shouting, half-frozen tribal warriors and their petty feuds. Nonetheless, Danieca was officially added to the Empire in early 37 B.C. The two new provinces were given to two relatively unknown soldiers in his army; a man today only known as Tiberius was given Germania, while Danieca was given to the centurion Cassius Andronicus. In the late part of that year, Gaius Caesar returned to Gallica, where he expected to find praise; instead, chaos waited for him at home.

After Caesar left, the afore-mentioned Antonius Phaedos found his chance to regain his power. Meeting secretly with the other members of the massive slave force in Britannia, he developed a plot to overthrow Quintus Pedius and the legion garrisoning Britannia and establish an independent Demokratos, or people-ruled state, based upon the old Athenian system. And in July of 38 B.C., they carried out their plan, rising up in a massive, province-wide revolution. Quintus Pedius was captured and hung from his own palace's window, while the sedentary legionnaires of the 5th Legion were surprised and mostly killed, though some escaped. Many argue that the resulting inaction taken by the governors of Caesarea are truly what led to the unmolested rule of Phaedos. However, I will place the blame squarely on Caesar's inadequate qualities as a leader and commander. Upon returning to Gallica, he, learning of the attack, immediately raised a fleet and took four legions, expecting the battle to be easy. However, a huge storm blew up on the Channel, and sunk much of his hastily-drawn-up fleet. 6,300 legionnaires survived, nonetheless, and landed near Londinium in May of 36 B.C. At first, it seemed as though they would be uncontested in their march to the capital; there were no Britannian troops to oppose them, and the city was abandoned when they reached it. However, it was but a trap. As Octavian's army marched into the capital's center, the city was quickly surrounded by 7,000 Britannian soldiers, led personally by Phaedos. They charged upon the city, where the legions were paralyzed and trapped in its small streets. The legionnaires, however, knew this was a battle to the death, and so fought even more ferociously then they already would have. Finally, after several hours of battle, Octavian and a band of about 500 soldiers broke through the Britannian lines and retreated all the way back to the navy, where they beat a hasty retreat to Gallica. A few months later, the 5,800 heads of the remaining legionnaires were sent to Octavian via an itinerant merchant. Octavian, enraged, drew his sword and slaughtered the merchant. He never, however, would attempt to reconquer Britannia again.

Phaedos quickly established a Demokratia, where he was soon voted “Protos Metaxy Ison”, or first among equals. The Demokratos of Britannia began the construction of a massive wall spanning its northern border, so as to keep the Pictish tribes away. Surprisingly, the Demokratia had the widespread support of the only half-civilized tribes of Britainnia, in that if they consented to Demokratian rule, they would both have a voice in and be left alone by Londinium. An admirable solution.

Octavian's reign proceeded smoothly after this humiliation; Germannia and Danieca were slowly Romanized, while the rest of the provinces were quite quiescent. However, in 26 B.C., events in Romano-Kemet drew Octavian's attention southwards. Cleopatra, Caesarion's mother, had recently died in Alexandria, and Caesarion had taken full control of his empire with a will. In the east, the Parthians were still quite weak after the civil war of 32 B.C., but were rapidly strengthening. Caesarion, seeking to head this off by surrounding the Persians, invaded southern Arabia and pushed his way north through the desert until he was at the border of Parthia. The Parthian emperor Pacorus II, knowing he could not weather a Kemetic advance alone, sent desperate requests for help to Rome. Octavian, eager to regain some provinces of the original Roman Republic, agreed. On September 12 in 26 B.C., Caesarian troops landed in Bospurus. Even this early in the war, the Parthians did not live up to their side of the deal, refusing to declare war against the enemy they had asked Caesar to help them against! As such, Caesarion was free to divert his phalanxes to Bospurus. Even so, Octavian made much progress in the first few months, conquering all the way up to Syria. There, however, he was met with a steel wall of Kemetic spears and forced back to northern Bospurus, where he would fight an increasingly desperate campaign against Caesarion until 24 B.C., when he was forced out of Kemet and sailed back to Hellas. Just a few weeks later, Kemetic troops landed in Sicilia, Sardinia, Corsica, Crete, Rhodes, and Cyprus, all territories of Caesarea. They easily overwhelmed the tiny garrisons there. Octavian was helpless to intervene, having had his army reduced to only six legions by the recent war. Finally, in March of 23 B.C., Caesarion landed in the Pelopennese, where he was greeted by cheering Hellenes finally liberated from Octavian's dictatorial rule. Octavian attempted to stop him, but was pushed further and further back until, finally, in 20 B.C., in the mountains of Macedon, he was accidentally slain by an arrow volley from his own troops. Tiberius, governor of Germannia, quickly took control of the Empire and offered a settlement to Caesarion, giving him Hellas and the islands in exchange for peace. The Romano-Kemetic emperor graciously accepted and returned to Alexandria, where he basked in the glory of an enlightened court.

Thus ended the reign of Gaius Octavianus Caesar.

Notes:
*It may seem improbable, but with his late father's connections, it's perfectly possible.

So, the enter of human medieval civilization will be at Egypt and Byzantium rather than Rome? Very interesting..... :D

You should have Caserion be a succesfull ruler, reign for over forty years, and be labeled "the Great" for great reforms and accomplishments. That would be cool!

Oh, Caesarion will have a very long reign, and he will conquer quite a bit. As well, his empire will become increasingly enlightened. On the other hand, he will come down hard on dissidents and traitors, and will be quite ruthless. But I do believe he will be called "the Great".

Oh, Caesarion will have a very long reign, and he will conquer quite a bit. As well, his empire will become increasingly enlightened. On the other hand, he will come down hard on dissidents and traitors, and will be quite ruthless. But I do believe he will be called "the Great".

That means Caesarion would contrast with the great Persian ruler Cyrus II the Great, who was benvolent to his people and also a great conqueror.

Okay, since Caesarion's reign is going to be LONG, here's part one. Enjoy!

An excerpt from The Slow Revolution: Industrialization in Mediterranea

by Antonius Gracchus

The Reign of Ptolemy XV Philopater Philometer Caesar, 1st Emperor of the Romano-Kemetics, and of the Imperial Dominion of Mediterranea

1 A.E.--72 A.E. (43 B.C.--29 A.D.)

Part One

Ptolemy XV or “The Great”, usually known as Caesarion or “Little Caesar”, was the first Emperor of the Romano-Kemetic Empire. His nickname is misleading; he far surpassed his father's, and erstwhile half-brother's, achievements and made Romano-Kemet the most powerful nation of its day. However, this charming, brilliant, and passionate man was not without his flaws. He led his people into a disastrous war with Parthia, wasting thousands of Hellenic and Kemetic lives; allowed a Jewish resistance group to escape to the aforementioned Parthia, where they grew strong enough to intervene during the succession crisis following Ptolemy's death; and finally, he never named an heir, leading to years of chaos after his long life finally ended.

Ptolemy was only four years old when he was named Emperor in 1 A.E. ; thus, his mother Cleopatra ruled for him as regent. Her early reign was marked by several strategic missteps; the first, naming her empire the Romano-Kemetic empire, angering the Hellenic elites, the Jews, and almost every other minority you care to name. The fact was that Cleopatra simply miscalculated, believing that she had to woo the native population of Kemet to keep her son ruling. As Octavian's rule north of Kemet began to descend into militarism, thousands of intellectuals began flocking south to Alexandria, while Cleopatra herself began putting much of the treasury into building schools throughout the empire, and into the construction of a new Library of Alexandria. She ordered the bringing of scientific, political, philosophical, and other texts from around the Empire to Alexandria, and indeed, requested volumes from Octavian's empire. He sent her three measly volumes, among which was Aristotle's famous mechanical tome On Sphere-Making. As a young child, Ptolemy read and re-read On Sphere-Making until he could almost relate every word by heart. In 41 B.C., he asked his mother to get him regular supplies of metals and tools, out of which he attempted to make the objects described in the book, mostly unsuccessfully. However, just three years later, at the age of ten and with the help of architect and scientist Vitruvius, he was able to build a working orerry, on the design of the later-to-be-famed Antikythera mechanism. Cleopatra, seeing the potential in the mechanism, began the building of three experimental triremes equipped with the orerry. To this day, scientific historians debate whether or not it was Ptolemy or Vitruvius who really created the Ptolemaic Star-Map. The triremes were a huge success, and soon enough, most triremes in the Kemetic navy were being built with Star-Maps.

Alexandria, meanwhile, was becoming more and more beautiful by the day. The far-sighted visions of Vitruvius, soon named National Architect, were reflected in the city, with massive towers of granite and marble being built to honor both the gods and the state, while the very first state-instituted housing developments were created on the edges of the city, in classic Hellenic style. The city was rapidly becoming the center of the Empire, both spiritually and physically. On the social front, however, things were not going well. Perceiving that Cleopatra was continually upstaging them, the Hellenic elite of Kemet began plotting against her in 34 B.C., after agitating for an invasion of Caesarea and a reclamation of Hellas itself. The Jews, too, had begun a low-level partisan war against Kemetic rule, led by a a middle-aged Torah scholar named Heli of Nazareth. (For those who don't know their Biblical references, or their Wikipedia, Heli is believed to be the father of Mary, mother of Jesus.--Author's Note) In 30 B.C., however, the now 18-year-old Caesarion personally led an army against them and defeated the Jewish rebels, slaughtering Heli personally. (That's right, Christianity just got butterflied out of existence.--Author's Note) The remains of the Jewish rebels escaped to Parthia, where they began to regroup and recruit, funded by Parthia. He returned to Alexandria to a massive parade. At the time, it was proper to leave one's army outside of the capital instead of entering it with them. However, Ptolemy gathered his army and rode into the streets, followed by his men. The crowd quickly grew silent. Then, in a scene which was written about time and time again in contemporary historical accounts and added to Ptolemy's future god-cult's wealth of legends, Ptolemy left his army at the gates of the great palace and rode to it, surrounded by the people of Alexandria. There, his mother waited, on the Peacock Balcony at the front of the palace. Pointing his Spanish sword at her, he demanded that she step down as regent and give him his birthright. Knowing she would be killed if she did not agree, she agreed. The crowd burst into cheers and Ptolemy XV entered the White Palace of Alexandria as the true Emperor of Romano-Kemet.

He was an active Emperor, and made many changes in his first few days. He began the construction of another Diolkos(1), based off of the one in Hellas, from the Nile to the Red Sea. He reorganized the army; instead of a standing army, each citizen of the Empire above a certain income level was required to hire a certain number of troops and report for duty to Alexandria when summoned. The Emperor would outfit their soldiers. This groups were known as phalanxes, though of course they fought using fundamentally different tactics. And finally, he actively encouraged invention among his people, and awarded those who did invent useful things. He also invented a novel way of making sure inventors were rewarded for their useful inventions; the paycard (2). A paycard, for those who do not know, entitles one to at least 20% of all profits made by the sale of one's invention. Ptolemy XV's new system made inventing a lucrative business, and enterprising young men all around the Empire came to Alexandria to attempt to dazzle the young Emperor with their natural philosophik(3) wonders. The White Palace quickly became filled with the steam-driven philosophik wonders of the Empire. However, the Empire was not yet ready for an industrial revolution; the necessary agrarian revolution and extreme urbanization had not yet been achieved.

Ptolemy's most important early reform was to, surprisingly, change the name of the Empire. He had seen how the elites had stewed when his mother was in charge, and he thought he had found the reason. Thus, the empire was renamed, after a referendum among the people, to the Imperial Dominion of Great Mediterranea. This name was possibly the best Ptolemy could have chosen, being neutral and accepted by all of the Imperial minorities. Still, the native Kemetics felt snubbed by their leader and his popularity in all of Kemet, sans Alexandria itself, sank somewhat. In 26 B.C., after years of reform and peaceful rule, Ptolemy finally turned his ever-wandering eye to Parthia. Ever since he had become Emperor, he had thought of Kemet. It was where his father had been driven into a stalemate, and the reason for his death. By crushing Parthia, he would be besting his father. But first, he needed a solid source of income; and so, his eye turned to the wild lands of Arabia, to the east.

Arabia was famed for its place on very profitable trade links between east and west, and for its acclaimed spices. It would be an excellent source of income to Mediterranea, and one which Ptolemy truly wanted. And so, in early 26 B.C., Ptolemy landed in southern Arabia with an army of 3,000 and drove quickly north, conquering the peninsula in a little less than five months. Terrified by this, the Parthian Shahanshah quickly contacted Octavian, who still ruled in Caesarea, begging him for assistance. Octavian, who had always wanted to restore the territories of the Roman Republic, quickly agreed and attacked Bosporus in July. He quickly overwhelmed the small garrisons; however, but a month later, Ptolemy himself arrived in Bosporus, and fought a brilliant two-year campaign against Octavian's superior numbers, finally forcing him out in 24 B.C. A week later, his troops landed in Crete, Rhodes, Cyprus, Malta, Sardinia, Corsica, and Sicily, all Caesarean territories, and conquered them easily. Ptolemy, meanwhile, landed in Hellas and was greeted by cheering Hellenes happy to be free from the dictatorial rule of Octavian. Ptolemy slowly forced Octavian north until, in 20 B.C., he was killed by his own troops in Macedonia. Tiberius, governor of Germania, took over the Empire and negotiated a peace with Ptolemy, giving him all of Hellas and the islands in exchange for leaving Caesarea and Parthia alone. Ptolemy graciously agreed.

And just a week later, Ptolemy returned to Alexandria at the head of a huge victory procession; it was Mediterranea's golden age.

END OF PART ONE

Footnotes:
(1)A primitive form of railway.
(2)A patent.
(3)This ATL's word for science is natural philosophy; thus, philosophik roughly correlates to our word scientific.

The Jews, too, had begun a low-level partisan war against Kemetic rule, led by a a middle-aged Torah scholar named Heli of Nazareth. (For those who don't know their Biblical references, or their Wikipedia, Heli is believed to be the father of Mary, mother of Jesus.--Author's Note
Err... No, or at least 'believed by some' rather than 'believed'.

Mary's parents were Joachim and Anna, according to both the Orthodox and Roman Catholics.

According to Orthodoxwiki, Anna's father was named Matthan.

Aha! you've pulled 'Eli' from the Lukan genealogy where he's list as the X of Joseph (X being unstated). And following the Protestant reconstruction of that being Mary's genealogy. Hm.... OK.

Really? Hmm, I never thought of it that way.

Oh, and by the way, I welcome collaboration, so anyone who wants to make a map of the two Roman Empires+Demokratia Britannia and/or write some stuff about butterflies in places that I've neglected, feel free!

Hi. Just a little thing; I've had writer's block for over a week now on this subject, so I won't be writing much here for a while. But I think my other thread, One Nation Indivisible, will be moving on...soooooo, read it if you're interested in the Civil War! :D

Wow on the whole I must say that was pretty good.

Especially liked the introduction of the patent system to the Dominion. Its a wonder that during the brilliant Hellenistic age, factions with such similar equipment and tactics didn't attempt to employ such a system to get an advantage. Also having Britain turn into a refuge of freedom/nest of rebellious knaves is pretty awesome. I can see them supporting rebellions in Gaul, Iberia, Germania and Daenica each time the Caesarian empire has internal problems.

My only gripe would be Lepidus and the British/Britannian campaign. OTL, the conquest of Britain was a long and protracted affair that only reached the mountains of Pict land some 30 years after the initial Claudian landing. During this time the Romans had to face some pretty stiff resistance and their initial efforts focused on the much more commercially viable Southeast before moving into OTL Wales and the north. If Lepidus could pull off what took multiple major campaigns and a number of major rebellions including Boudica's war to happen in OTL, his soldier's would be more likely to proclaim him emperor rather let him be murdered by a distant and autocratic Emperor.

It would have made more sense for the initial invasion to be a success but maybe have Lepidus be defeated or just badly bloodied in an ATL analogue to the Battle of Medway. Augustus has him recalled and focuses more resources and Pedius in Britain. As a result, the Romans manage to carve out a pretty decent zone of control in the south east as shown in the link. Instead of wasting more money on the much poorer tribes to the west and north, Augusts focuses of securing this hard won territory while sending the rest of his blooded troops into Germania.

Once the rebellion starts maybe have Phaedos invite some of the bigger tribes further up north like the Brigantes to attack the norther frontier while he raises the prisoners in revolt.

Anyway too bad that you have writer's block. Don't feel discouraged, hopefully you will get back into this TL eventually. Good luck on the new project!

Thanks, man! I'm glad to see somebody's reading this!

About the conquest of Britannia; even though I know it was pretty difficult OTL, I thought that my Octavian needed a bigger propaganda victory than just Germania to justify his reign; while that may not be a great reason, I have a better one. I wanted Demokratia Britannia to own all of what is today known as England. That gives them the manpower to actively mess with Caesarea. I know that it may be a little ASB, but I like it this way. If you still don't like it, I can always change it.

Thanks once again for listening to my nitpicks.

I wanted Demokratia Britannia to own all of what is today known as England. That gives them the manpower to actively mess with Caesarea.

OK I can understand wanting a strong Demokratia Britannia to not only stand on its own but to act as a viable threat to the Caesarians. The thing is the scenario I outlined doesn't prevent this from happening.

Let's say the British invasion and rebellion goes as I put forward in my previous post. Lets say that you have two main rebellions against Roman authority, a massive invasion by the tribes bordering Roman Britannia, chief among them the very powerful Brigantes and a political prisoner revolt centred around the mining centres led by Phaedos. Once they have successfully taken out central Roman authority, you will probably have the invading tribes running amok in the countryside while Phaedus consolidates his hold on the urban centres. News of Octavian's invasion preparations will however force Phaedos to consider what his future options are. Attempting to solidify the de facto alliance with the tribes, he would probably call a council where he would make the case that if they don't stand together, Octavian will first crush the prisoner revolt before then moving against the barbarians who had the gall to invade his territory. As a result of this, all the disparate tribes unite with the nascent republic for mutual protection.

Now lets say Octavian's invasion goes forward as you stated in the TL. Once the Romans have been driven off Phaedos can then make the case that the storm that made their victory possible was proof that the Goddess Britannia herself would give them victory so long as her children remained united. Thus you have the foundations laid for a semi-divine democratic federation that has access to both the economic engine of the south east in addition to the vast reserves of extremely skilled manpower further north and west.

So what do you think? Is that a more plausible scenario ? I know I'm being a bit pushy but hey I think this TL has great potential!!! ;)