Bush vs. The Axis of Evil - TL

Yes but I'm skeptical about the concept of the neighbors caring about.
True, but the Kurds will have a better claim to their statehood.
In what ways?
China and the US are gonna argue endlessly over NK's fate, the US is going to be caught up in two anti-colonial insurgencies in Iraq and Iran, the refugee crisis that OTL Europe witnessed in 2015 will be miles worse, Islamist groups will be even more determined to fight against the US with the region being even more war-torn, and gosh knows what Israel or Afghanistan will do.

Sorairo likes to end his timelines in a optimistic note regardless of how dark the worlds he conceived were so thats not really surprising

China and the US are gonna argue endlessly over NK's fate, the US is going to be caught up in two anti-colonial insurgencies in Iraq and Iran, the refugee crisis that OTL Europe witnessed in 2015 will be miles worse, Islamist groups will be even more determined to fight against the US with the region being even more war-torn, and gosh knows what Israel or Afghanistan will do.

For one thing, yes, the Taliban will remain in Afghanistan, but the Refugee Crisis can be averted if Gaddafi survives or if it's inevitable, the refugee flow would be limited as most of them IOTL went on land.

The rest of your comment is true.

I think it will heavily depend on wheter Iran goes the OTL Iraq route
If they estabilize under whatever government is set up there a refuge crisis after the war could be avoided, though the refuges from during the war would still be there
However if it goes the OTL Iraq route, which is what I expect considering...well, OTL, then it'd be to the refuge crisis of our world what the Great Depression was to the 2008 crisis

True, but the Kurds will have a better claim to their statehood.

What is the role of the Monarchy? The Red Lion and Sun retain support!

Thus ends the conventional stage of the War on Terror ITTL - my intention is to continue writing this timeline until TTL's 2012 US Presidential election. I hope this will take no more than three or four updates, as I'm setting a goal to myself to finish this before the end of March. I will be going to Taiwan at the end of March and when I'm back in April I'll stick around to answer some story questions and say my goodbyes.
Bravo. Depressing, horrific, everything I could have imagined a war like this, started by complete idiots like Dubya, Cheney and Rumsfeld, with a death toll of horrifying proportions.
At least Bush is stepping down in this TL, horrified by what he had unleashed.

Honestly I'm reluctant to focus much on that part of the world given current emotions, especially given the closeness of the TL to the present day - I don't really have a finalised idea for that part of the world at the moment anyway, but I will still write a summary of any significant changes.
I think that the impact on the the UK will be... interesting. My initial thought that Blair is toast, Brown as well, ITTL, but I'm not so sure now. The Tory leader until the May 2005 UK General election was Michael Howard, who took over from Iain Duncan Smith, both of who would have tied themselves to the USA even more firmly than Blair. It would not surprise me to see a substantial rise in the protest vote, with the Liberal Democrats, who were not supporters of the OTL war very much, benefitting.
Damn it, we need @iainbhx to chime in with his wisdom.

Always good stuff. Let's see how the ROK and China rebuild the north and how it will be gradually reunited with the southern ROK. I wonder how any of the surviving hostages from the 1979-80 Iran hostage crisis must be thinking about seeing the flag on the old embassy once again and also for American conservatives. These former hostages could give some useful advice on how to work with a new Iran.

What is the role of the Monarchy? The Red Lion and Sun retain support!
At best, a Simeon of Bulgaria situation could be a thing, as I suggested before with previous updates noting the exiled Crown Prince but Sorairo mentioning no monarchical restoration, to me, foreshadowing such a development. And speaking of which, if Crown Prince Reza does try to enter Iranian politics, I imagine that Bulgarian events to serve as a sort of inspiration to him in such a move as this was during the time Simeon was Bulgarian PM.

Last edited:
I’m glad no nukes were dropped. Honestly did not see that twist coming.
Very grim ending despite that though. I can also see edgelords on the internet ttl saying Kim was right and North Korea won in the end because everyone hates America now.