Update 1: Saturn rumors & Mega Genesis
  • Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
    Sega Prepares 32-Bit Game Machine
    from Electronic Gaming Monthly 052, November 1993 [1]

For much of the last year, Sega has been steaming ahead in developing its new 32-Bit game console. Tom Kalinske, Sega president, has indicated that the new machine will be called ‘Saturn’. Saturn is said to be based on a customized Sega/NEC V810 processor, a chip which clocks at upwards of 20 MHz. [2]

Full specifications are still a couple of weeks away from being revealed, but analysts in Japan who are familiar with NEC’s Ironman project, on which the new chipset is based, state that the Saturn will almost certainly not be backwards compatible with the Genesis or Sega CD. To do this, Sega would have to build a set of 68000 and Z80 chips from the ground up in the Saturn. Since cost is a major factor with any game console, Sega will do everything possible to minimize the amount of chips and circuitry.

Cartridge, disc, or both? Sega will probably opt for CD first in the interest of future proofing, but cart compatibility is not out of the question either. Including a CD drive will probably drive up the Saturn's price relative to past Sega consoles.

Developers in Japan are already worried about the issue of incompatibility, as they are concerned that the existing Sega consoles could become ‘lame ducks’. However, most of these same companies at least seem to be content with the chip architecture provided by NEC, whose home game machines are even more popular than Sega’s in their home country.

As for the U.S., if Sega delays the North American launch of Saturn until mid-1995, it will need to lean even more heavily on the its existing hardware during the all important Christmas 1994 season…

KALINSKE: [...] Which, of course, is what we did. That was a pretty dangerous time for us. With the 32-bit age arriving soon, there was concern about how we’d even keep marketing 16-bit games to our audience in 1994. Development kits for Saturn were already out there by the end of 1993. How do you convince developers to keep supporting your old machines when their shelf life is getting shorter and shorter? The answer to this and to the question of keeping our core audience was simple: keep making quality first-party games.

IGN: Is it true that a 32-bit add-on for the Genesis was considered as a way of filling in that gap?

KALINSKE: Yeah, that’s true… It never got past the planning stage, which was probably a good thing. It’s not that it was a bad machine, conceptually, this 32X. But after a point, all of Sega’s divisions agreed that it would be better to direct all of our 32-bit efforts toward the Saturn, which was seen as the future of our company. The fact that NEC was not even a little interested in supporting the 32X, hardware-wise, definitely had a thing or two to do with that.

IGN: So, enter the Mega Genesis instead.

KALINSKE: Right. The American name was a little nod to the base system’s name internationally, and we devised it as a way of selling the idea that this was a complete and more powerful machine, the definitive Genesis if you will. Abroad, of course, it was the Giga Drive CD. Taking all the same off-the-shelf hardware that was in the Genesis and its CD add-on and putting it in one shell was a whole lot easier than designing a new machine like the 32X would have been. Cheaper, too. As I understand it, the cost of manufacturing the Genesis hardware had become less expensive as time went by, which made it easier to beef up the Mega Genesis’ processing power slightly without breaking the bank. This let us sell the integrated Mega Genesis for less than a Genesis and Sega CD’s combined price. Once it was on the market for the holiday season in ‘93, we definitely noticed an uptick in hardware sales, from players who had never owned a Sega machine and wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and newcomers to video gaming as well. It was a good way for someone to jump on and catch up with all the Genesis and Sega CD titles up to that point.

IGN: Originally, it was conceived as being a portable CD player as well as a console...

KALINSKE: [Laughs.] Can you imagine, carrying around a Genesis like a walkman? Yes, that was an idea that was heard in a few meetings early on, but it would never have been accepted by consumers as anything more than a novelty, and miniaturizing it like that was problematic, too. Sizing it up a little and making it a real home console and not just a gimmick was the right move. The Mega Genesis really ended up being our bridge to the Saturn. [3]

IGN: You weren’t so sure about the Saturn at first, were you?

KALINSKE: No, not when it was first pitched to me. Sega of Japan was pretty eager to shove their Mega Drive, our Genesis, under the rug. It was a smash hit here, but it had barely made a mark back home in Japan. Granted, we got it later, and from our perspective we had only had a few years with it. By the time Saturn was announced, though, the Mega Drive had been on the market for more than five years in Japan, so from their perspective it was a little long in the tooth. I think they definitely had a chip on their shoulder about coming in third place over there, while we grappled for a close second here in North America. In their eyes, the Genesis had failed, no matter that it was selling well overseas. Coming to an accommodation with NEC, who was their close rival in the Japanese market, seemed to mellow them out a little on that. They wouldn’t kill the Genesis until the time was right.
    Interview with Tom Kalinske, President of Sega of America, 1990 - 1999
    IGN, June 2006​

----​

[1] - Most of this article’s text is similar to (but heavily modified from) its OTL equivalent in the real issue 052 of EGM.

[2] - This, of course, is the POD. A quiet one, caused in corporate boardrooms back in late 1992, and so we don’t see the butterflies flap until it goes public in ‘93. IOTL, Sega was very close to choosing an NEC chip for the Saturn’s RISC microcontroller. A simpler and cheaper Saturn might very well make all the difference. Ironman was already being shopped around in trade shows as early as 1992, so the time is right. This is only the base that TTL's Saturn will build upon, of course, so it's going to end up quite a bit stronger than the original Ironman, and better at 3D to boot. Sega and NEC will collaborate heavily on the hardware. (And so dies one of the stupidest and coolest consoles of the 1990s, the PC-FX, strangled in its cradle…)

[3] - This is TTL’s version of the CDX/Multi-Mega and Project Neptune. It's launching several months before the CDX did, since the portable CD player features were ditched in development and all progress on 32X was canned and resources more focused accordingly.

----
    So here I am, getting a start on this idea I've had clinking around in my noggin for a little while. I'm keen to sketch out a history where Sega manages to stumble out of the 1990s in decent shape and survives as a force in the game industry up to the present. As for just how I intend to get it there, well, I'm content in letting that remain a surprise for now. Suffice it to say for the time being that we'll be moving through the tail end of the fourth generation of consoles very quickly and that the Mega Genesis episode we see here will mostly serve to set the stage for the Saturn.

Overall, I'm in this for the fun of it, so I'm sure inaccuracies and implausibilities will crop up from time to time, and I'm not very concerned about that. I welcome discussion, suggestions and additions if anyone feels inspired to contribute them.

I'm also going to make tangents into music, movies and television on occasion, so by all means, don't limit any of that to video games. I'm going to mostly ignore "real-life" developments out of respect to the subforum's limitations on current events and politics.

Special thanks go to @Electric Monk and @Nivek for offering me advice on the premise of the timeline in the early stages as well as to others who have remarked on my idea.

The next post is coming along soon and will step back in time a little to explore the NEC deal in more detail.

Last edited:
    Update 2: The NEC deal
  • Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
    NEC make it far different, ironically they could have worked Hitachi but maybe scrathing everything was for the best

That was my read on the situation, too. Hitachi made some great chips at the time and nothing was, in theory, stopping Sega from making a fairly powerful Hiatchi chipset for the Saturn, without also making an overly complicated shoggoth of a machine and scaring away Western developers. (Of course, we know what they actually did...) But in the end I decided getting NEC on-side was a much more interesting consequence.

Anyway, more words.

----

Sega to Partner With Tech Giant NEC for Upcoming Game Hardware
    from The New York Times, 8 June 1993 [1]

In news sure to shock video gaming enthusiasts, former rivals Sega Enterprises, Ltd and NEC Corporation have announced that their companies will be collaborating on co-developing a custom processor chip based on one of NEC’s designs. This would seem to be a prelude to utilizing this chip in a new video game system, with rumors from many quarters suggesting a 32-Bit Sega system as its ultimate beneficiary.

Despite Sega’s most prominent rivalry being that with Nintendo, it actually competes closely with NEC in Japan, pitting its Genesis against NEC’s and Hudson Soft’s PC Engine, marketed stateside as the TurboGrafx-16. This announcement comes with the news that the TurboGrafx-16 and TurboDuo will be discontinued in North America effective January 1st, ending their relatively unremarkable lifespan in this market. The PC Engine and PC Engine Duo in Japan will receive continued technical support from Sega and NEC through the end of 1994, but game development will “wind down” effective immediately.

More surprisingly, this news was partnered with the announcement that Hudson Soft Co., Ltd, creator of the Bomberman series and erstwhile collaborator with NEC, would be acquired by Sega. Initial reports suggest that the Hudson brand will continue as a developing team directly under Sega.

Despite all of this, most video game fans are more abuzz regarding the rumors of Sega’s 32-Bit machine, which some say will be named “Saturn”. Nintendo, as of yet, has given no sign of releasing its own successor to the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, leading one analyst in Tokyo to remark that Sega will continue its gains on Nintendo if it beats them to the market with a new game system. “I think it’s going to be the product that’s going to drive the market share,” she said. [2]

YUKAWA: Making a deal with NEC was by no means a certainty at that time. There were many shopfronts to browse, if you will, and Sega was, as always, on the lookout for the best bargain. At first Motorola was on their minds, having made the central processor for the Mega Drive, and later on Hitachi dominated the conversation. Both had their benefits and drawbacks. Motorola, for one, was not a Japanese company, which perhaps made the board reluctant to pin the fortunes of Sega upon them again.

SEGAWORLD: Hideki Sato originally wanted two Hitachi chips for Saturn, didn’t he?

YUKAWA: As I understand it, yes. Sato-san’s original conception of Saturn was meant to be a powerful, if complex machine that was made to bring arcade hits home in full fidelity. But my specialty has always been business and not technology, and the decision to drop Hitachi for NEC was pure business. Although the PC Engine had been a big hit in Japan, it was no secret in the industry that NEC’s time in the sun as part of the video game market was coming to an end. We and Nintendo were moving on to replace the current generation of consoles, and Sony was already in motion to meet us there. What did NEC have planned? Not much at all. Its customers were by and large not clamoring for an upgraded PC Engine or PC Engine Duo. NEC could have lost money making its Tetsujin project into a next-generation PC Engine, or it could have sold the technology to someone else and made money on every machine manufactured with those chips without ever needing to take the risk themselves. We know what they chose, of course.

SEGAWORLD: So Sega was trying to bring those PC Engine fans into its sphere.

YUKAWA: Yes, you could say that. Up to that point, Sega had been the outsider in the Japanese game market, at least outside of the arcades. Coming to this agreement with NEC not only solved the question of how to build Saturn, it also neatly removed one competitor from the market altogether and gave Sega access to the goodwill and resources it had built among gamers and developers in Japan. Being allowed to acquire Hudson and its games as part of the whole situation was just a little bonus. I was only a low-level executive at the time, but having the perspective I did, it was easy to perceive that the board of directors was very pleased with this deal. With the PC Engine sunsetting, it was hoped that customers who had turned out to stores for NEC’s products would turn to Sega. You can imagine the surprise among the members of the board when the Giga Drive CD was released, and for the first time in some years, Sega topped hardware sales for the month!

SEGAWORLD: Even though there wasn’t any NEC hardware in it?

YUKAWA: Even so. They had generously offered a good number of PC Engine CD-ROM games to accompany the launch, along with our own titles and those from other developers. It seemed to many like a PC Engine Duo successor, being a somewhat more powerful machine and having so many Hudson games available for it, and I think it’s safe to say that the NEC fans were curious. I only hope they got their money’s worth! They certainly seem to think they did. And at the end of the day, what was good for them was good for Sega, since for the first time in a long time a sense of ease and relief prevailed in the company.

Interview with Hidekazu Yukawa, former executive at Sega of Japan [3]
    Segaworld, April 2009 [4]

----​

[1] - NYT in fact published a similar article IOTL in September 1993 regarding the Hitachi chip deal for the Saturn.

[2] - This quote is identical to one found in real life on the Hitachi deal article. In our timeline it’s hilariously sad in retrospect, but here it might just have a ring of truth.

[3] - It’s the man from those commercials!

[4] - A fanmade publication, probably.

----
    The next update isn't too far off. It will detail a few games available for the Mega Genesis in North America, then provide a little perspective on Nintendo's attitude at the end of the 16-bit era ITTL.

Last edited:
    Update 3: Mega Genesis highlights
  • Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
    Sega Mega Genesis Highlights That You Should Play in 2018
    from Dorkly, 6 November 2018

This week marks a quarter of a century since the North American release of the Sega Mega Genesis, the final (and some say definitive) member of the Genesis family of systems. Over its lifetime, from 1993 until 1998 when production of the console itself was finally halted, 4.8 million units had entered the market, of which 2.6 million were sold in the United States. Accordingly, Mega Genesis machines are not hard or expensive for modern collectors to find secondhand, and it remains popular among fans of Sega’s older consoles. Like any old CD-ROM console, disc drive failure is an occasional issue due to age, but since many of the mechanical parts in the drive (including the laser) could also be found in the Saturn, spares aren’t hard to find either. As well as being able to play any baseline Genesis or Sega CD game via its cartridge port and CD-ROM drive, the Mega Genesis had a number of titles designed only to run on its unique hardware, including a number of expanded ports of titles from other systems. Whether you’re a dedicated collector or just curious, here is a non-comprehensive list of some Mega Genesis titles that our staff think you should check out.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3: Complete and Definitive (Sega, Q2 1995)
    The story of “Sonic the Hedgehog 3” and “Sonic & Knuckles” is well-known to any Sega fan worth their salt. Originally intended as a single game, time and space constraints forced its dev team to split it in two, utilizing then-novel “lock on” cartridge technology after the fact to have both games (or rather halves of the game) interface. Seemingly not content with this, Sega eventually released “Sonic the Hedgehog 3: Complete and Definitive” to finally unite the games as one in a single release. Among fans, the name is commonly abbreviated to “Sonic 3 CD”, which are, after all, the initials of the subtitle (which are helpfully highlighted on the box, showing that this was very much intentional on Sega’s part). The box also shows Sonic, Tails and Knuckles together in the open, facing the viewer in a jungle landscape over which Robotnik’s technology looms. As well as the full stories of both “Sonic 3” and “Knuckles”, the CD-ROM technology allowed the developers to insert more simple cutscenes and story elements, including, interestingly enough, some tie-ins with Little Planet from “Sonic the Hedgehog CD”. This includes a single time travel sequence between the “3” and “Knuckles” halves of the game, as well as an appearance from Amy Rose. These inclusions make sense given that a significant portion of the team involved with “Sonic 3 CD” was involved in that game as well. Along with a lot of the art elements (which definitely look very “Sonic CD”-esque in places), this leads many to treat “Sonic 3 CD” as a spiritual successor to “Sonic CD” as well, in a way uniting both of the “third” Sonic games. Just as the icing on the cake, since there was still room left on the CD, the dev team included a straight port of “Sonic 1” with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles all as playable characters. As these levels weren’t made with Tails’ or Knuckles’ abilities in mind, they tend to be broken hilariously by their presence, and so this port is much beloved by fans. By the time that its retail lifespan ended in 1998, “Sonic 3 CD” had cemented its place as the best-selling game on the Mega Genesis, and had sold around 3.1 million copies.

Jurassic Park: Isle of Terror (Sega Multimedia Studio, Q2 1994) [1]
    One of the more thrilling entries in the Mega Genesis library can be found in “Jurassic Park: Isle of Terror”. The second Jurassic Park game produced by Sega after the original “Jurassic Park” on the Genesis, “Isle of Terror” was not only the first game developed wholly in the United States for the Mega Genesis, but the first such for the Sega CD (which saw a slightly pared-down port of its own). A first-person point and click adventure game, uncommon on home consoles at the time, “Isle of Terror” puts players in the shoes of an ex-soldier, part of a recovery team sent to Isla Nublar just after the events of the first movie. Quickly stranded, isolated, and hunted by the native dinosaurs, the player’s ultimate objective is to survive and escape. It is possible for the player to find journal pages and computer entries logging some of the unseen history behind the park, much of which is based directly on the original Michael Crichton novel rather than the movie continuity. A consistently dark and gloomy atmosphere pervades the game, the high sound quality available on CD-ROM allowing a fine ambient soundtrack and lush jungle sound effects to accompany the player’s journey. As a lighter addition, filmed segments by paleontologist Robert Bakker are unlockable to play from the main menu, explaining some of the science behind the film and game. The game would be rated MA-13 upon release, and relabeled T once the ESRB came into force late in 1994. Its cover portrays the subtitle underneath a yellow “Jurassic Park” logo instead of red, with a production still of a snarling Velociraptor in front of a dark forest silhouetted orange by a sunset. Consistently ranked among the best Jurassic Park games of all time (really behind only the ironically named “Operation: Genesis”), “Isle of Terror” was also well-liked by fans of the movie in its day, and would of course have some influence on the franchise going forward. A PC port was released in 1997 with better FMV quality. The Mega Genesis and Sega CD versions together had about 1.2 million lifetime sales.

Phantasy Star IV (Sega, Q3 1994)
    The Mega Genesis re-release of “Phantasy Star IV”, available at the launch of the system for Japanese consumers and arriving on the American market almost a year later, is without a doubt the definitive version of the game. In the CD medium, the graphics and sound are much expanded from the cartridge-based original release, with the background sprites during the boss battles against the Profound Darkness and its creations wowing gamers of the time. Owing to the improved storage space, some new scenes and dialogue are included, focusing particularly on the characters of Alys and Rune. For many American Sega fans, however, who had not seen a Phantasy Star game since “Phantasy Star III” (which did not sell well in North America anyway), this was among the first JRPGs to fall into their hands, and would have significant effects for the reception of both the Phantasy Star series and the JRPG genre in general going forward. Critical reception for the Mega Genesis version of the game was generally improved over the original, with both the graphics and the battle system receiving significant praise. Retrospectives on the game have inflated its reputation further to that of a minor classic. “Phantasy Star IV” on the Genesis and Mega Genesis combined would see around 830,000 sales over its lifetime.

Ratchet and Bolt (Sega, Q4 1994) [2]
    Coming from the 22nd century, the robot police duo Ratchet and Bolt, designed by the cunning Dr. Von Ion, would prove to be among the most iconic Sega characters to appear on the Mega Genesis. This family friendly take on the RoboCop formula put the player into a high-speed platforming and vehicle driving experience. Fighting across a futuristic cityscape, the robots had many appearances that they would transition through during their journey, stripping down from human-like android forms as they took damage into increasingly simpler robotic shapes. Numerous weapons were available for each of the crime-fighting duo, creating a massive number of different combinations to try while pursuing “public enemies” in large levels called “cases”. These and the transition from platforming to vehicle levels and back created a surprisingly deep platformer which stood out from the similar platformers of the post-Sonic “attitude” era in a big way. Although not a system seller, “Ratchet and Bolt” would become a cult classic. Designer Michael Latham pseudo-retired from game development after the completion of this project, stretched thin by other commitments at Sega, but the robotic duo would eventually return for a well-liked 2003 sequel. The original “Ratchet and Bolt” would end up selling 480,000 copies before disappearing from store shelves and back to the 22nd century after the 1997 holidays.

Castlevania: Cantata of Death (Konami, Q4 1995) [3]
    Perhaps the biggest third-party title to land on the Mega Genesis was “Castlevania: Cantata of Death”. A direct sequel to the PC Engine CD game “Rondo of Blood”, “Cantata of Death” picks up five years after, again following the adventures of Richter Belmont and Maria Renard. They are joined by occasional antagonist Wilhelm von Blutheim, an adventurous German nobleman and self-proclaimed vampire hunter, in his first appearance in the series. When Dracula’s castle unexpectedly rises from the dark forests of Transylvania again far ahead of time, Richter and Maria return to stop the armies of darkness once again. They are interrupted on its very doorstep by Wilhelm, who attacks, accusing Richter of having turned over to the side of darkness and becoming a servant of Dracula. They fight, with Richter coming out on top, forcing Wilhelm to retreat into the castle, vowing to stop him. Puzzled, Maria and Richter nevertheless forge onward, fighting innumerable fiends and monsters within the risen castle. They also find numerous strong enemies slain by the rival vampire hunter Wilhelm, and even encounter him again several times. It becomes increasingly obvious as they go that the work of a familiar agent is behind the castle’s return, and they soon encounter Dracula’s servant, the dark priest Shaft, who appears to have survived his last encounter with Richter. On his way to put down the dark priest once and for all, Richter is forced to fight a frenzied copy of himself created by Shaft from the blood shed in their last battle, which had attacked Wilhelm previously, explaining his misapprehensions. Wilhelm is forced to acknowledge that he was mistaken and pledges to fight at the Belmont’s side from here on out. Though unable to resurrect his master again, Shaft does absorb a shard of Dracula’s power, becoming a fearsome half-vampire which Richter, Maria and Wilhelm fight together. Although Shaft is destroyed, and the castle quiet, the edifice does not crumble, leaving them at a loss. The game ends on an ambiguous note, insinuating that Dracula will soon return, and that Richter’s adventures will continue. Notably, this is the first main directorial role for a game from Koji Igarashi, who of course would go on to be a central figure in the “Castlevania” franchise going forward.

----​

[1] - This is a slightly divergent cousin to OTL’s “Jurassic Park” game for the Sega CD. Which, curiously, had nothing whatsoever to do with the game of the same name and with identical box art for the Genesis, which was just a side-scroller. TTL’s version is still a point-and-click, but a significantly darker and more atmospheric one than what we got. Ours is still good, though. I recommend checking it out.

[2] - “Ratchet and Bolt”, of course, was a canceled 32X title IOTL. Most of the games which we knew on our 32X, such as “Kolibri”, will find a home on the Mega Genesis, if they exist at all. “Doom” is there, of course, because it was on everything, ever. The graphics for these orphaned 32X games may not be as impressive as the ones we knew, but CD-quality sound might help make up for that.

[3] - Fan lore knows this as “Castlevania: The Bloodletting”, the canceled 32X Castlevania game. IGA says that this name’s attribution with the abandoned project is apocryphal, though, so we’ll acknowledge his expertise on the matter. The project IOTL got rolled into what became “Symphony of the Night”, so you might recognize a similar plot point or two described here.

----
    Thank you very much, everyone, for tolerating my tardiness! I work at an educational company and the US back-to-school season is very busy, so I haven't had the spare time or energy for much of anything. Our next update will cover most of what happens between the introduction of the Mega Genesis in the Holidays of 1993 until the lead-up to the Japanese launch of the Saturn and PlayStation. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
    Update 4: The end of Saturn's hardware development and Japanese launch
  • Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
    History of the Sega Saturn
    excerpts from various sections on segaretro.org, retrieved 18 August 2016

As the development of Saturn neared its final stages in early 1994, the console gaming landscape was changing, and some of its envisaged competitors already seemed set to be culled from the playing field. Although still a few years away from its ultimate demise, the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer had made little splash in Sega’s native Japan, and the three-dimensional capabilities of the Saturn were considered to be far in excess of what Panasonic had to offer. The Atari Jaguar had likewise not proved to be quite the 64-bit monster it was cracked up to be in its small American test market during this time. It seemed that for the first eighteen months of Saturn’s life at the very least, Sony’s imminent gaming platform would be Saturn’s sole true competition. This would prove to be both a blessing and a curse.

[...]

With the hardware finally completely crystallized, Saturn developer kits hit eastern and western shores alike in droves, finding their way into the hands of both Sega and NEC’s erstwhile collaborators in Japan, while Sega of America spread them far and wide among the many developers with whom they had forged strong relationships during the Genesis era. Initial reactions ranged from cautiously to enthusiastically positive, with Japanese developers leaning toward the latter, greatly pleased by the platform’s ability to replicate arcade-quality experiences. Western developers were initially more hesitant, having already seen comparable kits for Sony’s PlayStation begin to emerge. Initial impressions suggested that the 3D capabilities of the Saturn were not as highly evolved as those of the PlayStation, though in truth the situation was more complex than that. Still, impressions warmed over the coming months as developers became more at home with the programming environment of the Saturn, aided by competent support work by Sega of America. Trickling down from Sega of America, kits made it to Europe slightly later, to a likewise cautiously optimistic audience of new and old developers keen to be a part of the next stage of Sega’s evolution.

[...]

Meanwhile, Sega’s internal teams were hard at work bringing old and new IPs alike into readiness for Saturn’s opening salvo in the new console war. The newly formed Team Andromeda was hard at work on the foundational game of the “Panzer Dragoon” franchise, while other teams worked on conversions of Sega’s 32-bit arcade hits. Sonic the Hedgehog, of course, was on everybody’s minds, chief among them Yuji Naka, heading Sonic Team alongside Naoto Ohshima. Although Naka was keen to begin development on the game project that would eventually become “NiGHTS into Dreams”, the blue blur (as always) took precedence. “NiGHTS” would ultimately become one of the Saturn’s top titles of 1996, while “Sonic the Hedgehog 4” began to take shape in preparation for the console’s western launch.

[...]

As the console’s software library took shape, Sega’s army of marketing and logistical staff in all markets considered how best to package the 32-bit revolution for anxious Sega fans everywhere. Recognizing the convenient size and uniformity of the CD jewel case, Saturn games in Japan would ultimately come in this packaging with gold accents and a black/red logo. In North America, the idea of continuing with the acrylic cases used for Sega CD and Mega Genesis games was floated. However, with production of Mega Genesis games still ongoing, it was decided not to pursue a renewed production run of the cases, as Sega of America was sensitive to complaints from vendors and consumers alike about fragile and broken cases. Instead, it was decided that Sega of America would continue somewhat in the vein of the plastic cases of the Master System and Genesis, going with plastic longboxes. [1] Later life cycle Mega Genesis games would likewise be rolled over to these longboxes after the Saturn era began. The spine art and other accents on the Saturn box art would follow the example of previous systems, maintaining the light and dark striping of the Genesis (red), Sega CD (blue), and Mega Genesis (orange), this time in silver. The Saturn text used in branding would be given a slightly “friendlier” font than what Japanese consumers would see, with the blue ball and “S” logo front and center. [2] Sega of Europe would generally follow the same pattern as Sega of America, changing only the color of the box art’s background from silver to black. Although a set price for the system in the North American market was still a long way off, a retail price of ¥42,800 for Japan was announced in the summer of 1994, while competitor PlayStation soon announced its own price point of ¥39,800. [3]

[...]

The whole gaming world watched with interest as the fifth generation console war finally began in earnest, with the Saturn releasing in Japan on 22 November 1994 and the PlayStation on 3 December, two weeks later. Although one might expect a stronger performance from Sony’s inaugural console, considering its substantially lower price, the PlayStation was shadowed by supply trouble at its launch, shipping a bare 100,000 units while Sega easily crossed the 400,000 mark. Out of this number, it sold almost 200,000 on the first day, shattering records for the Japanese console market. [4] Although its seeming invincibility would not last far into the next year, the Saturn was, for a time, on top of the world, as Japanese gamers clamored to bring home the chief launch title “Virtua Fighter” and Western gamers desperately awaited their own turn.

----​

[1] - Basically, they’re identical to OTL’s PAL longboxes for Saturn games. Just a minor cosmetic change, but many an ATL retro collector in this timeline’s future will thank me for banishing this bugbear, I’m sure.

[2] - In other words, the box branding for the Saturn in North America is the same as ours. The only difference being the color change from OTL’s white to silver/gray.

[3] - This represents a slightly lower price for the Saturn at launch than OTL, but not to a significant degree. The Saturn will just never be cheaper than the PS1 during their respective lifespans; Sony’s pockets are too deep for that to happen either in this timeline or ours.

[4] - This is actually mostly unchanged from OTL, aside from a small increase in Saturn sales numbers because of the lower price. The popularity of “Virtua Fighter” allowed the Saturn to slaughter the PS1 during the opening weeks of this console war in real life. In fact, though it’s not often brought up, PlayStation only started to outpace the Saturn in hardware sales in early 1997, more than two years after the two consoles’ launch! While Sony Imagesoft had a foothold in America, Japanese gamers in 1994 still did not take them seriously as a developer/publisher. As I’m sure you know, however, Sony’s time will come.

----
    A sudden burst of resolve to write is always good for the spirit, no? Next time we'll cover the space from the start of 1995 to the very first E3. I'm looking forward to it!

Last edited:
    Update 5: E3 1995
  • Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
    Sega’s Sonic fanatics anticipate a new generation
    from The Daily Californian [1], May 1995

With a new generation of video gaming consoles freshly debuted in Japan at the end of 1994, American gamers now patiently (or not so patiently) wait for the arrival of the new 32-Bit machines on US shores. We asked some people around the campus of UC Berkeley for their thoughts on the upcoming Sega Saturn and Sony PlayStation, and while newcomer Sony is attracting some interest, Sega seems to be the name on everyone’s lips. Here’s what they had to say.

“I’ll be waiting for the Ultra 64 [2]. Sega really lost me with all those CD games, like Night Trap, and I liked Nintendo first anyway. You just know the Big N is going to come out swinging.” - Colin M

“Nintendo is really pushing it by waiting until next year. I think people are going to get impatient and turn to Sega and Sony instead. [3] - Tom S

“I mean, Sony is the best there is with CD technology. What did Sega do with their CD addon? FMV games? I guess Castlevania was pretty good, though.” - Min H

“I think PlayStation looks awesome.” - Tina L

“All respect to Sega but – you just can’t win with a $46 billion gorilla in the room.” - Tom R

“It’s Sega’s game to win. They just have to keep up the momentum.” - Jen D

“Saturn will probably carry it. They’re just more popular with developers right now.” - Brian T

“I really hope Sega pulls it off. A 3D Sonic game is just what the doctor ordered.” - Will W

“As long as the sports games are good, I don’t really care which one wins out.” - Mark S

“Which one am I more excited for? (laughs) Ask me again in September!” - Nancy K

NG: So far, PlayStation is trailing Saturn in Japan. Do you think this will be repeated in the North America market?
    Steve: I don’t think so. There’s no question that going up against Sega won’t be an easy task, and that the Saturn is a strong machine, but I believe we have the superior product - and feedback from our test groups back us up on that. As you know, a lot of us at Sony are Sega alumni. We’ve seen them from the inside and we know how they operate. And that gives us confidence. We’re still great friends, though. At the end of the day, this is a friendly competition.

NG: So no Sony/Sega gang fights on the streets?
    Steve: (grins) You’ll have to wait until E3 to find out.
    Interview with Steve Race, President of Sony PlayStation Group
    Next Generation #5, May 1995 [4]

E3 1995
    excerpts from a Sega fanblog, retrieved 21 September 2023

In most respects, Tom Kalinske’s keynote speech at the start of E3 1995 reflected Sega’s optimism coming into the fifth console generation. After discussing Sega’s prioritization of the teen and young adult demographic and the importance of the game industry’s continuing evolution, he finally wrapped it up with the news everyone had been waiting for. The Sega Saturn, with its launch date now firmly set for 2 September 1995 (or “Saturnday” as it would be advertised everywhere), would launch with an MSRP of $349.99. This represented a significant cut from the original Japanese MSRP due to steadily dropping manufacturing costs and was better than some analysts were expecting.

Still, it can’t be denied that the buzz of Sega’s triumphant return was undercut somewhat by Steve Race’s one-word address not too long after: “$299.” [5]

[...]

Despite the embarrassment of losing the game of price point chicken, Sega acquitted itself well on the showroom floor during the rest of E3. A number of games targeted for the September 1995 release window were present and playable, and demos were likewise there for several games due out in 1996. Of particular interest to booth-goers was, of course, Sonic 4, helpfully advertised by an acrylic statue of the blue blur hovering over Sega’s portion of the floor and visible both near and far. The Sonic 4 demo was something to behold, with an air of palpable excitement for the final game energizing attendees and employees alike.

The home release of Virtua Fighter was also popular with attendees, along with the impressive 3D shooter Panzer Dragoon, which was considered the most graphically advanced game on display. While the Mega Genesis was late in its lifespan, one new release, Vectorman, was also on display at the show and attracted some positive attention.

At the end of the show, with the shape of the first clash between Sega and Sony now clearer, the gaming world could only wait with bated breath for the real show to begin that September.

----​

[1] - UC Berkeley’s student paper, founded in 1871.

[2] - At this time, Nintendo’s 64-bit monster had not yet been given its final name.

[3] - As announced early in May 1995, the Nintendo 64 was delayed from the ‘95 Xmas window to April 1996. It would ultimately be released IOTL in June 1996.

[4] - The real interview is well worth a read if you’re interested in the history of the era. Race states in the interview that the launch sales numbers of the Saturn in Japan were inflated because they counted units sold to retailers, and didn’t necessarily limit it to units that were sold to consumers. I was unable to verify this independently, and for what it’s worth later sources still seem to back up the claim that Saturn outsold PlayStation in late 1994, even if you only look at its second shipment which arrived around December 3rd, the PSX launch date.

I was also amused by the NG interviewer’s pointed comments about the price point of CD-ROM games, asking how it makes sense for them to retail at the same price point as cartridge games when the cost of manufacture is far lower. Race basically washes his hands of the question, saying that it’s up to software manufacturers to place that price point and that Sony (or Sega, or Nintendo) had no control over it. I find this interesting, as in the modern day the same process has repeated again with digital games, which cost almost nothing to distribute except server costs, being sold at the same price point as their physical counterparts.

[5] - Saturn avoids the disastrous blunder of the surprise May 1995 launch ITTL as Sega of Japan feels secure enough not to coax Sega of America into it. Saturn also launches $50 cheaper than IOTL thanks to its slightly cheaper architecture and Mega Genesis software profits. Still not enough to prevent one of the sickest owns in video game history, however.

----
    So, hey. This long-ish update is in celebration of the end of my 3 or 4 year hiatus. I certainly hope I'll never be gone for so long again; after COVID hit, I experienced a series of challenging life events that really kept me occupied until late last year. Still, I now find myself re-energized and ready to continue my two ongoing threads and explore Blue Phoenix further. Next update will also be large-ish (this is a real word, I promise) and will cover the North American Saturn launch. See you soon.

Update 6: Saturn and PlayStation launch, September 1995
  • Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
    It’s Out There: The Story of Saturn
    excerpt from the book, published August 2017

In the immediate lead-up to “Saturnday”, the hype of the gaming public reached a fever pitch. Good word of mouth and encouraging reviews, not to mention a $60 million advertising campaign [1], had done their part to inform the public of the impending 32-bit revolution. If that and the solid-looking launch lineup weren’t enough, the impending release of the first 3D installation in the world-famous Sonic the Hedgehog series could have easily carried the affair on its back. It is safe to say that most of the people camped overnight outside KB Toys and Electronics Boutiques across the US and Canada on the night of September 1st were there for the Blue Blur more than anything else. But Sega of America would never complain.

When the doors opened, gamers and harried parents both flocked to the displays and the counters, finding not quite enough units to go around. In twenty-four hours, the entire first shipment of 300,000 consoles would find itself sold out, which might seem wild in light of the fact that buyers could have waited a week to spend $100 less on the PlayStation. That was the power of pack-in games at work, as the inclusion of “Sonic 4” bundled with the console more or less made up the difference in respect to the PlayStation, which would not release with any pack-ins. [2] Sega of America had capitalized on Americans’ sheer enthusiasm for their prickly protagonist, repeating their Genesis/“Sonic the Hedgehog” bundle success from a few years before – this time in spades.

A strong stable of additional launch titles and continued Sonic hype would continue to drive Saturn sales once the next shipment arrived, coinciding with the PlayStation launch on September 9th. Sony would briskly sell 120,000 units by the end of its own launch day, a respectable number driven by positive reviews for its flagship launch titles “Ridge Racer” and “Tekken”, but it was clear they had been bested yet again in an apparent reflection of Saturn’s earlier successes in Japan. The scene was repeated once more in miniature a month later, when both consoles were released at the end of September in Europe. As the holidays drew closer, it was clear that Steve Race’s confident predictions were wrong: Sega had beat the odds yet again.

Sega Saturn North America launch titles [3]
    from Wikipedia

• Astal (Sega CS)
    • Battle Arena Toshinden (Tamsoft)
    • Black Fire (NovaLogic)
    • Bug! (Realtime Associates) [4]
    • Clockwork Knight (Sega CS1)
    • Cyber Speedway (Nextech)
    • Daytona USA (Sega AM2)
    • Doom (id Software)
    • Dragon Warrior VI (Heartbeat/Enix)
    • Ghen War (Jumpin’ Jack)
    • Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder (Sega AM1)
    • Madden NFL ‘96 (High Score/EA)
    • Myst (Sunsoft)
    • NBA Jam Tournament Edition (Iguana Entertainment/Acclaim)
    • NHL ‘96 (High Score/EA)
    • Panzer Dragoon (Team Andromeda)
    • Parodius (Konami)
    • Pebble Beach Golf Links (T&E Soft)
    • Phantasy Star: Age of Strife (Sega RPG Production)
    • Rayman (Ubisoft)
    • Roar of Thunder (Hudson)
    • Robotica (Micronet)
    • Sega Rally Championship (Sega AM3)
    • Shanghai: Triple Threat (Activision)
    • Shining Wisdom (Sonic! Software Planning)
    • Shinobi Legions (Sega CS2/Tose)
    • Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (Sonic Team)
    • Street Fighter: The Movie (Capcom)
    • Virtua Fighter (Sega AM2)
    • Virtua Racing (Time Warner Interactive)
    • Virtual Hydlide (T&E Soft)
    • World Series Baseball (Sega Sports)

Console War ‘95 - The Launch Titles
    excerpts from a Sega fanblog, retrieved 21 September 2023

Platformers

Following up on their last hugely successful Sonic game would prove to be a challenging task for Sonic Team, and even more so on this new 32-bit hardware. The early stages of development soured the project for Yuji Naka, who would go on to say that he was not especially proud of his work on “Sonic the Hedgehog 4”. It might just be that his heart was not in it, as Naka was already thinking ahead to his next project, “Nights into Dreams”. Other Sonic Team members would recall it as a lopsided development cycle, with a beginning plagued by bugs and turns of ill fortune, from the coffee machine exploding the day that Sega top brass visited the studio to the source code of the game almost being lost due to a technical fault in early 1995. Fortunately, the “Hedgehog Curse” would be broken; after this incident, the remainder of development was remarkably smooth, and would be remembered fondly by many of Sonic Team.

The story of “Sonic 4” picks up on the time travel trends last seen in “Sonic the Hedgehog 3 CD” for the Mega Genesis. Having successfully stolen the Chaos Emeralds at the beginning of the game, the devilish Dr. Robotnik uses their power to break time itself in his last desperate attempt to stop Sonic the Hedgehog, by going back before their first confrontation to destroy the earlier Sonic with his advanced technology. With the whole world fluctuating rapidly between past and present, Sonic and his buddies Tails and Knuckles are sent racing through bizarre landscapes including a Precambrian volcano field, the age of the dinosaurs, and ancient Atlantis, defeating Badniks all the way. Along with the three heroes that Sonic fans knew so well, the game would also mark the first appearance of Team Chaotix, including Espio the Chameleon, Vector the Crocodile, and Charmy the Bee, who are rescued from captivity by Knuckles early in the game and join the fight against Robotnik. [5]

Ultimately, having recovered the Chaos emeralds, Super Sonic dukes it out with the Doc in a dramatic battle, ending with Robotnik’s latest mecha breaking up and sinking into a whirlpool in a stormy ocean, a maelstrom caused by the time rifts backfiring. In the face of this more final defeat, Sonic wonders if this is really the end of Robotnik, but puts it out of mind to enjoy a beach party with his friends and enjoy the peaceful world they created.

In gameplay terms, the player alternates between Sonic and his friends on different missions. Sonic’s missions took inspiration from the half-pipe bonus levels in “Sonic the Hedgehog 2”, starting off in a side-scrolling view before the hedgehog takes a right or left turn, after which the player would be free to dodge around the track with the camera following him from behind. Dramatic rises and falls in the path gave a convincing feeling of speed, but for a taste of true third-dimensional gameplay, players would need to wait for the boss at the end of each zone, where Sonic and friends could move freely around a circular arena while dodging attacks. By contrast, Tails, Knuckles, and Charmy’s levels would have more verticality and traditional platforming.

While the characters, tracks and platforms were all polygonal, the backdrops were parallax scrolling 2D paintings, with occasional objects and animals close to the track (such as the Brachiosaurus in Jurassic World Zone [6]) being fully modeled. The game contains several FMV cutscenes, without character voices but instead with text on the screen to indicate character dialogue; scrolling boxes would perform the same purpose outside of cutscenes. The choice to not add voiced dialogue was ultimately a question of space on the disc, which was pushed to its limit by the game’s ambitious scope. Some criticized the choice not to take advantage of the move to the CD medium in this way, but others were relieved, feeling that it would have been a little weird to hear the Sonic characters chatting audibly. Sonic would find his voice in later games in the series, of course, but players would at least hear the characters exclaiming while jumping, attacking, or taking damage.

The CD medium was used to its full advantage in the realm of music, but the choice of how to soundtrack the game proved a difficult one for Sonic Team. An orchestral score was much desired, but the cost involved ultimately ruled it out. The final soundtrack instead took inspiration from house music, with synthetic noises playing on the game’s sci-fi themes and a thumping bassline to add to the feeling of speed and energy. Sega of America considered a grungy rock soundtrack as a replacement for the NA market, but Sega of Japan put their foot down on the matter, and “Sonic 4” would ultimately release with the same soundtrack in all regions.

Posters everywhere boldly advertised the game, showing a familiar red cap being left in the dust. “Sorry Mario,” they boasted, “you’re too slow!” These celebrated the milestone of Sonic arriving in the 3D landscape well before his Nintendo rival.

The critical reception was overwhelmingly positive. Despite occasional frame drops in the fastest sequences, the game otherwise ran smoothly at 30 FPS and looked phenomenal for the time, albeit rough by the standards of later Saturn games. A few critics sighed at the fact that the game was mostly “on rails” and did not permit the player to fully explore a 3D world, accompanied by chuckles in gaming magazines about players spending most of the game staring at Sonic’s butt. [7] But for most players this limited locomotion wasn’t much of a negative. The gameplay itself was fun and fast, just what Sonic fans were expecting. It would become the console’s first million-seller, then later multi-million seller, helped along by its pack-in status and the hedgehog’s enduring popularity. While superseded in gamer’s hearts by later, more polished 3D entries, it is still remembered as a classic today.

Despite this, Yuji Naka and his colleague Naoto Ohshima were both eager to move on from Sonic, feeling they had done all they could with the Blue Blur and overstayed their time with the property. They would move on to “Nights into Dreams” as soon as “Sonic 4” development wrapped, leaving many to wonder what sort of future Sonic would have.

While the other first-party platformers that made it to launch day all had their fans, particularly the humorous “Bug!” and the fanciful “Clockwork Knight”, it was generally agreed that both were rendered dead on arrival in terms of technological advancement, Sonic having blazed past them. The Ubi Soft platformer “Rayman” also out-competed its 2D counterpart, “Astal”, which while a gorgeous and quite solid game did not have nearly as much content. Though “Sonic 4” was the obvious leader, “Rayman” still surprised many, who were playing it for the first time despite its original release on the Atari Jaguar earlier that year. It would go on to spark the beginning of a successful franchise.

Fighters

Sega’s own “Virtua Fighter” led its charge into the Fifth Generation fighting-game space, just as it had done in arcades before. Compared with the arcade original, players were impressed by the texture-mapped character models as well as its faithful translation of the arcade experience. [8] Critics compared it favorably with “Battle Arena Toshinden” by Tamsoft, a cross-platform title, but the matchup against Namco’s “Tekken” on the PlayStation was less clear. Many pointed out that, gussied up graphics or not, “Virtua Fighter” still felt a bit outdated when up against the newer game on Sony’s machine. It was received well by the gaming public as well, albeit soon overshadowed by later releases.

Racing games

Ever since the release of “Virtua Racing” in arcades in 1992, Sega had been a leader in pushing racing games to the next level. But with the debut of the fantastic “Ridge Racer” from Namco on the Sony PlayStation, it seemed like there was a worthy challenger. Sega riposted against this new challenger with three titles of its own, including an expanded port of “Virtua Racing” by Time Warner Interactive [9], a home version of “Daytona USA” [10], and “Sega Rally Championship”. Between these three and “Ridge Racer”, the latter was ultimately considered the best-looking game, though Sega’s assortment of racers gave it a serious run for its money. By sheer quantity, at least, Sega were the victors.

RPGs

RPG fans were disappointed with the early PlayStation lineup, which carried no RPGs in the American market at all. Sega fans would be far happier with their own selection, as Sega of America, while a bit skeptical of the genre, had responded to positive feedback for the Mega Genesis release of “Phantasy Star IV” by greenlighting three RPGs to be localized from Japan. “Phantasy Star: Age of Strife”, the first 32-bit entry in one of Sega’s premier series, would prove to be the flagship of this valiant offensive, and fans would not be disappointed.

With the story line of the first four games having wrapped up in the previous entry, “Age of Strife” takes players out of the Algol system for the first time, spanning a wider part of the same galaxy in the third millennium, the titular age of instability and war following the events of “Phantasy Star IV”. The game follows the story of Flair Trill, a cargo pilot who finds himself wrapped up in the quest to prevent the rise to power of a dictator who intends to end the Age of Strife with fire and steel.

While still 2D in its overworld segments, the 3D dungeon-crawling segments of the game, inspired by those of the first “Phantasy Star”, would be widely praised, and the art direction of the game was considered stunning overall. All things considered, it was a great transition to the new generation for the series, and many would consider it the best game out of the starting lineup.

Not to be left out, another venerable RPG series would come exclusively to the Saturn in time for the launch: “Dragon Warrior VI” (“Dragon Quest VI” in Japan) from Enix. Enticed over by the benefits of CD storage capacity for music and game worlds, as well as the opportunity to tweak the nose of their rival Square who seemed set to hop into the Sony camp, Enix would in fact go on to primarily favor the Sega Saturn for the duration of the Fifth Generation console war. Unlike “Age of Strife”, “Dragon Warrior VI” would have few 3D elements to speak of, aside from some monsters. These would be praised, but some in the gaming press would grumble that it looked little better than a Super Nintendo game. To those who took time with it, it was considered another winner in the Saturn RPGs column. [11]

“Virtual Hydlide” by T&E Soft would receive a more mixed response, with its graphics praised by most, but its gameplay praised by few. [12] Most gamers overlooked it in favor of the stronger offerings by Sega, and today copies are quite rare.

Shooters

The headliner in the shooters department was, by far, “Panzer Dragoon”. Developed by the comparatively new Team Andromeda at Sega, this futuristic rail shooter was widely admired for the strength of its gameplay and beautiful graphics, if sometimes with the caveat that the game didn’t have much mechanical depth besides. Immediately after its development wrapped, Team Andromeda split its efforts to work on two follow-ups in the same world.

It was joined by a new game from Hudson, acquired by Sega in 1993. Hudson Soft had last developed a game for a Sega platform in late 1993 with “Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys”, which released exclusively on the Mega Genesis, although they had also recently ported their excellent shoot ‘em up “Lords of Thunder” to that same system in early 1995. Now they were ready for another go with “Roar of Thunder”, a sequel to the aforementioned. Once again, Duran takes up arms against the demonic legions with an array of magical projectiles. Although the story was considered a bit thin, the game excelled as a shoot ‘em up, and its use of 3D characters and locations were considered highly impressive at the time.

Shoot ‘em up fans would also be pleased to see Konami’s “Parodius” finally make it stateside in the form of a two-part compilation of their hits “Parodius Da” and “Gokujou Parodius”. Konami had started to foster a stronger relationship with Sega since the launch of the Mega Genesis, with this bizarre but fun shooter being the first of many hits that would come from them to the Saturn. Thanks to this semi-exclusivity, PlayStation fans would need to wait until early 1996 for their own copies. [13]

Inevitably, id Software’s “Doom”, that groundbreaking first-person shooter, also made the jump over. The port was generally well-regarded and would open the way for many “Doom-likes” on the Saturn over the next few years.

Sports games
    Although sports fans were for the most part content to keep buying 16-bit editions of their favorite series, the appeal of polygons drew more than a few for the launches of both the Saturn and the PlayStation. “Madden NFL ‘96” was not technically the first 32-bit game in the series, that being “John Madden Football” (1994) for the 3DO, but that wasn’t exactly a hot seller. The game arrived right around the start of the 1995-96 American football season on both Saturn and PlayStation and sold a hilarious amount of copies. It is still well-regarded despite the inevitable clumsiness inherent to early 3D sports titles. [14] 3D hockey and baseball games, and an updated “NBA Jam”, would round out the early Saturn sports stable, although it no longer had a strong lead over the competition with the “Joe Montana Football” series seemingly in limbo.

Conclusion

All in all, the Saturn enjoyed one of the strongest launch lineups of the 90s, and few gamers found anything to complain about in the variety and quality of the games available, as evidenced by the console’s healthy sales through the end of 1995. PlayStation being put on the back foot and forced to keep up with Sega was definitely a good sign for the blue titan, which had justified its own bravado while making Sony’s look premature…

----​

[1] - Compare with OTL’s $50 million campaign, which included some of the weirdest damn commercials I’ve ever seen.

[2] - IOTL, the pack-in game at Saturn’s May 11th launch was “Virtua Fighter”.

[3] - This list may seem a little inflated at first glance, but this is basically every Saturn game that should have been released around its original September 2nd launch window IOTL, plus several extras on account of Sega not bungling their third-party relationships ITTL. The PlayStation’s NA launch titles list is similar to OTL, but with the addition of “Madden NFL ‘96” and “NHL ‘96”.

If a game isn’t mentioned in the paragraphs below the list, feel free to assume that it is largely unchanged from OTL.

[4] - “Bug!” was famously conceived originally as an American-made Sonic game when it was clear that the Saturn wouldn’t have a Sonic game at launch. SOJ put the kibosh on that idea and it was reworked into this original concept instead. ITTL, “Bug!” arrives nevertheless. Realtime Associates, who were always most at home in this genre, just developed it anyway. It was probably conceived during the troubled early production of “Sonic 4” when it wasn’t certain if Sonic would make it to the launch after all.

[5] - “Knuckles’ Chaotix” for the 32X obviously never happened ITTL, but was canned after the character concepts for these three were finalized.

[6] - No relation, but the Brachiosaurus was probably picked because of its famous appearance in Jurassic Park (1993).

[7] - OTL’s “Sonic's ass game”, starring a certain bandicoot, will be covered in a future update.

[8] - It has been known for years that, despite launching the Saturn with the original pack-in version of “Virtua Fighter” with all its glitches and textureless polygons, Sega had the fixed and prettied up “Virtua Fighter Remix” pretty much ready to go by E3 1995. Their decision to withhold this improved version of the game until later baffled many. ITTL, the Saturn is comfortably able to launch in North America with the “Remix” version instead.

[9] - IOTL, Time Warner Interactive didn’t exactly port “Virtua Racing”. In fact, Sega refused to give them the source code for the arcade version and they had to build it from scratch instead. All things considered, it was still a great version of the game, but players noticed the difference in how vehicles handled. This weird blunder manages to be avoided ITTL, allowing the game to release in time for the launch.

[10] - A smoother product than OTL’s original Saturn “Daytona”, basically resembling “Championship Circuit Edition” with its 30 FPS and reduced pop-in issues.

[11] - Released on the Super Famicom IOTL, the series’ early transition away from cartridge games is the work of dedicated schmoozing by Sega and money.

[12] - Believe it or not, this is as OTL. The game is mostly a meme nowadays, but apparently people were really easy to impress in 1995 as long as you put polygons in front of them.

[13] - This two-part “Parodius” collection was released on Saturn and PS1 in Japan IOTL, but despite being localized to English for the EU it was never released in North America. The reasons why are still quite mysterious. ITTL it manages to make it, but Sega gets first dibs.

[14] - This game didn’t actually make it to the next-gen consoles in OTL’s 1995, though God only knows why.

----
    There you have it. The changes made by Sega so far reap big dividends here, but it's not over yet. The 1995 holiday season is coming up next.

Update 7: Holiday Season 1995, and looking forward to 1996
  • Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
    Saturn’s not just out there (It could also be under your tree!)
    from a promotional page spread in a Toys “R” Us catalog, November 1995

( An illustration of Sonic in a Santa Claus hat can be seen, waving to the reader and sitting on top of an oversized Saturn. )

Saturn comes to Earth with hot Black Friday deals! Now just $299.99! [1] Enjoy an authentic arcade experience right in your living room!

[...]

The Queen has been kidnapped by the forces of the evil mage Bane! Can a noble prince and his eleven allies rescue her? Find out in the exciting adventure “Blazing Heroes”! [2]

[...]

Dino-mayhem! The arcade hit by Sega based on the blockbuster movie, “Jurassic Park”, comes home. Is your aim good enough to help you escape the island alive? Get the most out of your gaming experience with the help of the Sega Saturn Arcade Stick! [3]

( The page goes on to show several launch titles, plus “Gex”, “Virtua Fighter 2”, and “Earthworm Jim 2” )

It’s Out There: The Story of Saturn (cont.)

When all was said and done, Sega had a lot to be proud of at the end of 1995. They had conclusively shown that Sony’s financial might was not everything; strong first-party titles, plus the tight third-party relationships they’d cultivated over the last five years, had proved more than enough for Sega to fend off their new rival. The numbers reflected this as well, with Sega and Sony closing out the year with the former firmly in the lead; the Saturn had sold 986,423 units in North America, with some speculating that it might have sold more if Sega had been able to keep up with demand, and the PlayStation had sold 344,686. Worldwide, Saturn was close to the 3 million mark, with PlayStation trailing at just under 1 million.

The industry as a whole could take some optimism from this, as the cumulative numbers of both systems combined seemed to indicate that the industry-wide slump which had begun in 1993 was now being reversed. Sega, of course, was the happiest of them all. But despite all appearances, they were not out of the woods yet. 1996 would be the year that Sony struck back… [4]

The War Council
    excerpt from a post on SonyWorld, a fan blog, retrieved 28 September 2023

Olaf Olafsson was reviewing holiday sales projections in late December 1995 when he received a summons from on high. Flying to Japan later that same night, he arrived in Tokyo jet-lagged but steeling himself. The phone call had been short and terse, and Olafsson wasn’t sure if he was about to be sacked.

What he found instead was nothing short of a war council. Aside from himself, Ken Kutaragi was in attendance, as was a representative from the parent company, and even some of his own subordinates from Europe. They had all been gathered there to discuss – what else? – the challenge posed by Saturn.

Olafsson, Kutaragi, and their colleagues were relieved to hear that Sony’s upper management still had faith in the PlayStation IP. It hadn’t achieved the market dominance they’d hoped for, but all their projections suggested that this could be reversed. For now, they were still willing to pump more money into PlayStation to help it carve out a larger market share. The silent implication: if the 1996 financial year didn’t turn things around, that willingness could change.

Many strategies were discussed that would ultimately be implemented, including a massive new advertisement campaign, as well as an initiative to offer cheaper prices to retailers for PlayStation demo kiosks to crowd out the competition. Finally, a price drop was agreed upon, bringing the PlayStation down to $199.99 stateside as soon as possible. Olafsson, who had clashed with his superiors numerous times already about lowering the PlayStation’s price, felt vindicated by this. [5]

Everyone knew that games were the biggest issue, however. Launch titles “Ridge Racer”, “Wipeout”, and “Tekken” [6] had impressed the industry and players both, and the newly released “Twisted Metal” was proving quite popular, but surveys suggested that players perceived a gap in both quantity and quality between Sony and its competitor Sega. The Saturn’s first-party launch titles were seen as bold and inventive, and there were far more of them besides.

As a relative newcomer to the industry, Sony’s own first-party stable was still finding its feet. Third-party support had been what they banked on, and while that was still fairly strong, they hadn’t gotten nearly as far with that as they’d hoped. Sega’s long-established relationships in the industry had closed a lot of doors for them; Konami’s preference for Sega in particular was a stinging blow, as Sony had been very interested in their upcoming games.

Sequels to “Tekken” and “Ridge Racer” were both due for release in 1996, with other first-party projects in early development at the San Diego, Santa Monica, and London studios as well as Polys Entertainment. All of these were fairly promising, but they were still a ways off. On the third-party front, a large number of equally promising games were coming, but many of these were set to be cross-platform releases.

RPGs were seen to be a particularly weak area for Sony, who had been surprised by the strong performance of Sega’s releases in the genre that year. Olafsson inquired with his Japanese colleagues about whether there were any strong RPG releases coming up. On that end, it was somewhat slim pickings, but after hearing more about “Arc the Lad” by G-Craft, which had been PlayStation’s top-seller in Japan in 1995, he and his team jumped to ask if it could be brought stateside. It would ultimately be localized in North America and Europe in late 1996. “King’s Field” by up and coming developer FromSoftware was also due for a North American release in early 1996. When asked about Square, the Japanese reps could only shrug, saying that the next installment in the “Final Fantasy” series was at least a year away.

A rep from the UK also mentioned that the game “Rapid Reload” by Media.Vision, which had not yet been localized to North America, had been a hit with PlayStation fans in Europe, and while not an RPG itself (a run-and-gun game similar to the “Gunstar Heroes” series on the Mega Drive/Genesis), Ken Kutaragi confirmed that the developer was making a Wild West themed RPG that would probably be out in Japan later that year. It was decided to bring “Rapid Reload” over in the meantime.

Also pressing was the fact that survey responses said, when compared with Sega, Sony Computer Entertainment had yet to establish a firm brand identity for itself. Its famous “U R NOT (RED) E” series of ads was now running, showing off a modern, frenetic image for PlayStation promising a high-octane gaming experience. The linchpin factor of a mascot, an instantly-recognizable character like Mario or Sonic, was still missing.

Sony didn’t have anything from its first-party studios to address this problem. Kutaragi mentioned that Hideo Yoshizawa at Namco was working on a mascot platformer, but it was still very early in development, and many present were reluctant to pin all their fortunes on Namco yet again, especially with rumors in the industry that Namco was considering going cross-platform in 1997.

Olafsson remembered something, and smiled. He had recently been in touch with Mark Cerny at Universal Interactive Studios, and they had a project over there that sounded like it was just what Sony needed.

The Once and Future King?
    excerpt from an article on Nintendo Legends, a fan blog, retrieved 28 September 2023

As always, Nintendo outwardly kept its cool as 1995 slowly turned to 1996, but internally they were finally starting to worry. With an eye on quality assurance, they did not regret their decision to wait to release the Ultra 64 (now revealed as the Nintendo 64 at Shoshinkai in November), but they were nevertheless starting to come to grips with the challenges this delay posed. As it stood, only three games were forecasted for the June 1996 launch of the console in Japan, and only two for the planned September 1996 launch in North America. Overcoming that year-plus late start was going to pose an uphill battle, as both its largest competitors were now firmly established in all the major markets.

They knew their first-party games were well worth the price, but the lack of enthusiasm among third parties was proving to be a vexing issue. Long-time Nintendo allies Enix and Square had both thus far declined to announce any games for the 64, and were seemingly fully committed to their new friends Sega and Sony respectively. Many developers were growing more lukewarm about the idea of developing games for cartridges when the benefits of the CD format were now more obvious. To make matters worse, the price of CDs was projected to drop further over the next couple of years, something which Nintendo’s proprietary cartridges could not match.

The facts as presented promised some pretty lean years ahead for what had once been the console industry’s sole superpower, but Nintendo were still determined to play to their strengths and stick by their beloved properties. They would remain true to themselves, no matter the good or the ill that would come of it…

The Sega Empire in 1996
    excerpt from Moonrise: The Definitive Sega Luna, published November 2008

With the Saturn proving to be successful in the Japanese, American and European markets, Sega now had its sights set firmly on the future. However, there were just a few remnants of the past slowing them down. More than a few, actually – there was a positive glut of Sega hardware sitting in their warehouses, some of it with nowhere to go.

Although the Saturn was still selling everywhere about as fast as they could stock it, and the Mega Genesis was still selling at a modest, if declining rate, Americans and Canadians had started to lose interest in the basic Genesis, abandoning it in favor of the newer fifth-generation machines or its upgraded variant. This posed a problem for Sega of America, which had been forced to overstock much of its hardware in order to meet the requirements of American retailers and still had tens of thousands of Genesis units rotting in its warehouses. It likewise had too many Game Gear units, a surplus of Picos, and even some Sega CDs still lying around. [7]

This was a point of embarrassment for Sega of America, who were otherwise having such a nice year. They needed to get out the old to make space for the new, but with the demand for their older systems drying up, doing so at the domestic level just wasn’t feasible.

Ultimately, as Sega considered branching into emerging video game markets with the Saturn, they decided to pave the way by shipping and retooling this excess hardware in Southeast Asia, Southern and North Africa, and Latin America and the Caribbean. It was hoped that this could kill two birds with one stone by dealing with the stock problem and creating new markets for future Sega hardware and software.

This plan would have only limited success, as the cost involved in shipping and localizing the machines and software (usually just a few games for each region) proved greater than the profits made in return. Furthermore, not all the stock could be moved even with this initiative, requiring some more to be sold at bargain bin prices in the states, given away to Sega employees, or even scrapped. But the export strategy did, nevertheless, make new Sega fans and prime certain markets for upcoming releases of the Saturn, most notably South Africa and Argentina.

As for out with the old, in with the new, Sega was closely watching the movements of its rival Nintendo in the handheld gaming space. The Game Gear had been a modest success, but had never come close to catching up with Nintendo’s Game Boy, in part due to the Game Gear’s issues with battery life. Now it seemed that Nintendo was about to release a new iteration of the Game Boy with a smaller form factor and improved battery life in the form of the Game Boy Pocket, due out in Japan sometime later in 1996. It wasn’t time to discontinue the Game Gear just yet, but it would begin to wind down in early 1996 in all regions except Europe and Brazil, where it was still doing fairly well. In the meantime, Sega would begin to research the feasibility of a 16-bit handheld, seeking software and hardware developers to collaborate with… [8]

----​

[1] - As in OTL, Saturn’s price was cut to match the PSX’s $299 for Black Friday in 1995. ITTL Sega’s not losing quite as much money on each system.

[2] - In our timeline, its name had to be changed from “Mystaria: The Realms of Lore” after a copyright infringement suit from TSR, owner of Dungeons & Dragons and its Mystara setting. This time around it was caught and fixed earlier, preventing it from losing valuable time on the market.

[3] - The “Jurassic Park” System 32 shooter game never made it to home consoles in our timeline. Nor did the Saturn ever have a dedicated arcade joystick peripheral; it did have a twin stick controller for “Virtual On: Cyber Troopers” as well as an arcade flight stick, but nothing that would have been appropriate for the stick-operated shooting crosshair in “Jurassic Park”. This has changed here.

[4] - These numbers are ultimately extrapolated from the Sega FY1997 brand report that was uploaded to Archive.org earlier this year. It’s a treasure trove of previously forgotten or hidden information about the financial hole that Sega got itself into; page 48 includes cumulative sales to date of both the Saturn and PlayStation as of the end of 1995.

Saturn of course fares far better thanks to a multitude of factors, but the cumulative numbers of both systems combined are better than OTL due to increased hype over the new generation and the presence of 5th-generation sports games on both consoles bringing in the normie dollars. In theory, the console industry is off to a better start in this generation than IOTL.

[5] - IOTL, this price drop would occur months later in May 1996. Olaf Olafsson ultimately left the company in early 1996 because of his disagreements about multiple things, including the hardware price. Them caving early has the butterfly effect of leaving him with Sony, at least for a bit longer.

[6] - I forgot to mention it, but “Tekken” was actually released in North America in November 1995 IOTL; localization and release was moved up slightly ITTL as a reaction to the Saturn’s stronger starting lineup of fighter games.

[7] - This is also based on information from the aforementioned FY1997 brand report. Apparently in 1996 OTL, Sega of America projected it would have more than 600,000 Model 2 Genesis units rotting in its warehouses with nowhere to go. Dire stuff.

[8] - They actually looked into this IOTL too, but were forced to stop with Sega’s finances collapsing in ‘96 - ‘97. Where will this tangent lead? You'll see soon enough…

----
    So, we reach the end of 1995 at last. It's been a big year, but 1996 is gonna be even bigger. Stay tuned for the arrival of the N64, Sega's explorations of the handheld market, an update focusing on South Korea, and Sony's revenge, featuring a certain marsupial.

Update 8: Saturn ports for personal computers
  • Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
    Sega brings the arcade home... again.
    excerpt from Sega Games on Home Computers: The Complete History, published April 2016
    1996 would mark the year when Sega Saturn games finally arrived on the home PC market, though perhaps not quite in the way that gamers expected. Sega was, of course, in the middle of a multi-year contract with NEC, who had provided the CPU architecture for the Saturn. But when it wasn't moonlighting in the game industry, NEC was also one of the largest home computer manufacturers in Japan. Their deal with Sega promised to make them a lot of money in the American and European markets, but this was not NEC's only foray into the West, as in July 1996 they finalized an acquisition of Packard Bell.

Packard Bell had once been one of the most dominant PC manufacturers in America, but a series of class-action suits prompted by PB failing to adequately advertise their usage of refurbished parts brought them to the brink of ruin in 1995. NEC bought the brand in the interests of spreading its roots in North America, taking over a roughly 15% market share overnight. Despite this strong start, the highly competitive American PC marketplace quickly proved a tough nut to crack. NEC decided to turn to their friends at Sega in the hopes that they could help coax Americans into buying Packard Bell NEC machines.

Sega was a bit skeptical, but they had been planning to make further inroads into the PC space anyway; their release of the Genesis hit "Comix Zone" for Windows had been well received in late 1995, and they were curious how their newer Saturn titles would fly with the PC gamers of the day. Perhaps in spite of their better judgement, Sega agreed to a six-month exclusive contract with Packard Bell NEC to allow one of "Virtua Racing", "Panzer Dragoon", or "Daytona USA" to come pre-installed on new units of the Force series of PCs. These three games in particular were chosen because preliminary Windows builds of these three games had already been in development by Time Warner Interactive, in the case of "Virtua Racing"
    , and the other two by Sega PC. They started to roll out with Force machines in September 1996.

Although those who played the ports received them positively, that roster of players was a pretty small one. Packard Bell NEC saw its share of the US PC market decline precipitously over the following six months, and NEC began to have second thoughts about its American adventure. They ultimately opted not to renew the PC port contract with Sega, who gladly went on to put out wider releases of its Saturn titles on Windows PCs in 1997. Although this deal did not save Packard Bell NEC as some had hoped, it had the unexpected benefit of giving Sega plenty of time to prepare yet more PC ports for a 1997 release, including "Sonic 4" and "Virtua Fighter 2". Many of these were likewise developed by Sega PC, but Tantalus Media would also be an important partner.

When they did make a push for the PC market that year, the software sold well, as did a PC version of the Saturn Arcade Stick peripheral. Although ultimately a sideshow to the console race Sega was embroiled in, this series of events would leave Sega's footprint on the PC game space for years to come, with big effects in the late '90s...

Last edited:
    Update 9: Early 1996
  • Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
    It’s Out There: The Story of Saturn (cont.)

As the holiday season disappeared into the rear view mirror, Sega and Sony sized each other up and prepared for the next phase of their unfolding battle. There were already warning signs that Sony would not meekly accept Saturn’s continuing lead, but Sega, riding high on its 1995 successes, was not too inclined to notice at first. Their aura of invincibility seemed to be backed up with the praise of the gaming press for their exclusives released in the first three months of 1996, including the excellent beat ‘em up “Guardian Heroes”, developed by Treasure, the same team who brought “Gunstar Heroes” to the Genesis two years before.

They received a shot across their bow at about the same time, however, as Sony published “Rapid Reload” in North America just a month later, a game somewhat aping the formula Treasure had perfected. Comparing each 2D sidescroller to the other, the gaming press was hard pressed to say which they preferred. Although most agreed that “Guardian Heroes” was the more visually beautiful and graphically complex game, owing to the Saturn’s strength with sprite graphics, many reviewers found “Rapid Reload” more exciting to play. Both games would ultimately sell more or less on parity with each other, performing well in early 1996.

The RPG market, which had been such a sore point for PlayStation in 1995, would see Sony begin to fight back. One of the first PS1 RPGs, “King’s Field” by FromSoftware, went up against “Terranigma” by Enix for the Saturn. In the duel between the 3D dungeon crawler and the sprite-based JRPG, it was hard to say which one really succeeded in swaying more hearts. The graphics of “King’s Field” were a major hit, while the music and world of “Terranigma” ensnared the imaginations of many gamers whose appetites were whetted on the previous year’s JRPG releases. Both games would enjoy commercial success.

Sony had no particular answer to “Panzer Dragoon II Zwei” from Team Andromeda at Sega, the sequel to the immensely popular launch title for the Saturn. Perfecting what many saw as the mechanical shortcomings of its predecessor, “Zwei” impressed the gaming press with its infinitely scrolling backdrops, dense environments, and creative enemies. Encouraged by the success of their titles so far, it was announced that a third mainline “Panzer Dragoon” game would be developed. However, development would first be shifting to the tentatively titled “Panzer Dragoon RPG”, which was expected to release in late 1997.

As the spring months turned to summer, the release of the Nintendo 64 loomed large, and the eyes of the gaming public turned to the sophomore E3 conference. Anticipation was high as the fifth-generation console war prepared to enter a new stage…

----
    Just a short and sweet update to help me get back into the swing of things. E3 '96 is coming up next.

Update 10: E3 1996
  • Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
    E3 1996
    excerpts from a Sega fanblog, retrieved 21 April 2024
    If its inaugural year had set the stage for the fifth generation of consoles, E3’s sophomore outing, also at the LA Convention Center, would forecast its expansion into the most heated console war to date. Spanning May 16 - 18, 1996, the show took place during the immediate leadup to the Japanese launch of the Nintendo 64. The gaming public was deeply interested in the effect that Nintendo’s long-awaited console would have on what had already proved to be a vigorous competition between the Saturn and the PlayStation.

Nobody was surprised that Nintendo would have an outsized appearance at the expo, a display which included hired acrobats and circus performers. The bombast paled in comparison to the public’s first good look at “Super Mario 64”, which sent the hype to stratospheric levels. Sega reps, sulking in the wings around the Nintendo booths, may have grudgingly acknowledged what the visitors from the public were saying: Sonic made it to 3D first, but Mario had certainly arrived with a bigger splash.

Following in the footsteps of Sony and Sega, who had slashed the prices of their consoles in January-February of that year, Nintendo announced its new machine would launch at a $199 MSRP to general approval from the audience.

As well as the ever-reliable plumber, Nintendo showed off a new game in the “DOOM” franchise, a game based on the James Bond film “Goldeneye”, and “Blast Dozer”, impressing the crowds with its 3D graphics as well as the analog stick sported by its controller.

[...]

On its own side of the hall, Sega had plenty of upcoming games to show off. “Nights into Dreams” by Yuji Naka of Sonic fame took pride of place, and its graphics left an impression on visitors. [1] In action games, there was no shortage of excitement on display, including the arcade game “Sonic the Fighters”, due for a home release before the end of the year, “Fighting Vipers”, and “Virtual On: Cyber Troopers”. Attendees would note that, with the possible exceptions of “Fighting Vipers” and “Virtual On”, Sega’s first-party offerings for the expo were very pretty but somewhat lacking in the gameplay department compared with their competitors.

However, the presence of a console port for “The Elder Scrolls: Arena” by Bethesda Softworks, which was advertised as a console-exclusive for the Saturn, turned more than a few heads. 3D RPGs on consoles were still very new, and this conversion of the popular MS-DOS game certainly blew the likes of “Virtual Hydlide” out of the water. This seemingly marked a shot across the bow of Sony, who were hoping to recruit western RPG developers to fulfill the PlayStation’s seeming deficiency in the genre compared with Saturn. Clearly they were not safe from Sega courting developers of their own. [2]

The biggest hit on Sega’s showfloor for the year was unquestionably “Star Wars: Alien Hive”, developed by LucasArts as an exclusive for Saturn. With a primary focus on vehicle combat, it was not the most revolutionary game at the show that year, but Star Wars would prove an attention draw nevertheless. [3]

[...]

Sony was not shy to boast its own upcoming exclusives, including “Ridge Racer Revolution” and “Tekken 2”, both from Namco. It placed considerable emphasis on “Crash Bandicoot” from up-and-comers Naughty Dog, posing the spunky orange marsupial as a mascot of sorts for their show presence. Although “Super Mario 64” drew some attention away, attendees were still impressed by the game and eager to get hands-on with Crash that autumn.

[...]

While the three console superpowers dominated the show, lesser competitors like 3DO and Atari, which had been seen at trade shows in years past, were nowhere to be found. What was once a crowded playing field had more or less been culled down to just the big three. The Jaguar would be quietly discontinued later that year, and while Trip Hawkins was still cheering on his M2 system – which would have a second lease on life away from the brand soon enough – it was clear that 3DO would soon follow suit.

Nevertheless, one other company did have a strong presence at E3 that year: Microsoft, who would represent the PC gaming market with a number of games for Windows, including “Close Combat” and “Hell Bender”.

Although it is not a matter of public record, persistent rumor would have it that E3 1996 was the backdrop for Sega and Microsoft representatives, meeting at the local bars after hours, to lay the foundations for a long-lasting partnership. Sega had just attained a greater interest in the PC gaming market after its recent deal with NEC, and for its own part, Microsoft was sniffing around the increasingly lucrative console market to explore further avenues for profit.

It is clear that the two companies had much to gain from working together, but whether or not this partnership truly began at E3 1996, we cannot say for certain…

----​

[1] - Because of the development of “Sonic the Hedgehog 4”, “Nights” was delayed by several months to November 1996 in Japan and early 1997 in North America.

[2] - Believe it or not, this almost happened IOTL. “Arena” was planned for a console release on Saturn and PSX but seemingly never materialized. Here, Sega opts to make Bethesda a generous offer and secure it as a console exclusive as they become more interested in integrating the console and PC sides of their market presence.

[3] - This Saturn exclusive was famously canceled in real life. We don’t know very many details about what sort of game it would have been, but I’ll go into a bit more detail on this timeline’s version in a future update.