But I also suppose now is a good as chance as any for the French to make an attempt... IIRC, at this point Brazil is still divided into hereditary captaincies, and it wasn't exactly a system that worked out compared to it's use elsewhere. Seems Pernambuco and São Vincente were the "most" successful, alongside Ilhéus and Porto Seguro. So what is now Bahia, São Paulo and Recife?

Considering the project of France Antarctique around Rio lasted from 1555 to ~1567 (I'd say 1560, since that is when the Portuguese attacked Fort Coligny and scattered most of the settlers onto the mainland, but they weren't definitively expelled until 1567) while being an absolute hot mess, it might be more successful with more royal backing and as a Catholic colony, rather than some experiment to try and settle Huguenots and Catholics together. With an English pope who is aligned with the spirituali faction, he might be a little more pragmatic about trying to check Spanish and Portuguese ambitions and their claim to have dominion of the whole entire world split between them. If the French crown invests and support it, and there's buy in from religious groups (Brazil already had Jesuits through the Portuguese, but why not add some more?) who's to say what might happen.

The French also seem to have had good relations with Indians in that general region, the Tamoios and Tupinambá, who were fighting against the Portuguese. Why not use them as allies and arm them? It's also interesting to consider France's indigenous policy vs. Spain or Portugal. The French IOTL tried to coexist where possible, and acculturation and conversion were the main goals of the religious missions. Ordinances in 1627 IOTL even claimed that Indian's who converted to Catholicism were "natural Frenchmen" and given the same rights as other French subjects. France wouldn't have the manpower in ~1550 to compete with Portugal's already existent colonies, but they might be able to use the natives to level the playing field...
Personally I think that Rio de Janeiro would still be the French best bet, if they improve their alliance with the Tupinambas. The Portuguese victory in Guanabara Bay could be considered actually a victory of the Tupiniquins (helped by the Portuguese) over the Tamoios Confederation. And the Portuguese success over the French certainly was rooted in the fact that the Portuguese were much more willing to "go native" than the French. It means they had characters as João Ramalho. In exchange for giving iron tools to the tribes, he had several Tupiniquim wives from different villages (but he made sure to baptize everyone of his many dozens of children 😅), something that allowed him to mobilize a greater manpower - to cut brazilwood, to capture slaves or to go to war. What the French needed was one or two poligamous "Jean Ramalle" who can really delivery tools and weapons to the Tupinambas.
Other place that could be more easily taken is the Northern Coast between Rio Grande do Norte and the mouth of the Amazon. The portuguese didn't really have strong presence there until the end of the 1500's and the second half of the 1600's, in many places. Ceará, for example, was pretty much a French trading post until 1600.

Last edited:
Honestly I'd be a bit wary of this, while the French would certainly treat the tribes that allied to them well, they're still very likely to go brutal on the non friendly ones, especially if they were Portuguese backed. It's likely we'll see that the French friendly natives will go the same route as to what the Portuguese aligned tribes went through: mainly assimilation but still having enough of them around they would still be a presence, even if greatly diminished compared to the influx of settlers and slaves coming in, which depending on how that goes, ends up with them subjugated after having outlived their usefulness or living in a "peaceful coexistence" with the French colonial administration where they have their own little lands that are protected from encroachment from plantation owners who always want more land.
Oh yes. I'm not trying to say that it would be some utopia, but certainly the French could be just as brutal as others when tribes didn't work in their interest. Tribes who are friendly with the Portuguese are likely to be dealt with. These tribes are likely to get ravaged by diseases just as most native tribes who came into contact with Europeans. But I do think it's likely they could end up with Creole / Métis populations within the hinterhand, perhaps centered around the Brazilwood trade. That first generation of colonists will likely have plenty of men who may take native wives / concubines as well.

Given Brazil's land the crops / resources that can grow there, there's no doubt that any French colony in Brazil will seek out slaves, which will probably lead to interest in establishing a trading post(s) in Africa to allow France to purchase them. But that will take sometime, and once the colony starts growing, then yes, I think the natives will likely lose their usefulness.

Personally I think that Rio de Janeiro would still be the French best bet, if they improve their alliance with the Tupinambas. The Portuguese victory in Guanabara Bay was could be considered actually a victory of the Tupiniquins (helped by the Portuguese) over the Tamoios Confederation. And the Portuguese success over the French certainly was rooted in the fact that the Portuguese were much more willing to "go native" than the French. It means they had characters as João Ramalho. In exchange for giving iron tools to the tribes, hehehe had several Tupiniquim wives from different villages (but he made sure to baptize everyone of his many dozens of children 😅), something that allowed him to mobilize a greater manpower - to cut brazilwood, to capture slaves or to go to war. What the French needed was one or two poligamous "Jean Ramalle" who can really delivery tools and weapons to the Tupinambas.
Other place that could be more easily taken is the Northen Coast between Rio Grande do Norte and the mouth of the Amazon. The portuguese didn't really have strong presence there until the end of the 1500's and the second half of the 1600's, in many places. Ceará, for example, was pretty much a French trading post until 1600.
I'm definitely think so too. And I'm sure perhaps France can find some... characters to settle this colony, especially some forty years after the POD that could make this colony more successful.

I love the pics of the Hospitaller Palaces on Corfu! Look great, though I would almost classify them as Neoclassical than Renaissance, not that I know much in the way of architectural trends.

I wonder at the bit about the Jesuit Plantations using forced labor, seeing as the Pope and the Church was pretty against Christians as slaves, though maybe you meant like serfs, which still seems backwards for the Jesuits, the same order that made the Guarani plantations centers of native (christianized and europeanized) culture so much that the local colonist bigwigs hated them and sought their removal. Now that i have thought of it, it would be very cool if the Jesuits did something similar in Ireland, and these plantations backfired against the English, with the Jesuits setting up Gaelic presses and turning the Plantations into centers of Gaelic resistance.

I do think that the Knights would probably run their lands similar to the Venetian colonies in the Aegean, very harshly, though again there is room to doubt that they would treat fellow catholics quite so badly as the Venetians treated heretics/schismatics etc.

I do like the look at Ireland and I think it is very interesting and definitely what to come back and see how it and its islamic mormons are doing. It was a great update and I very much enjoyed it, though, poor Mary, I know that feeling too.

I wonder at the bit about the Jesuit Plantations using forced labor, seeing as the Pope and the Church was pretty against Christians as slaves, though maybe you meant like serfs, which still seems backwards for the Jesuits, the same order that made the Guarani plantations centers of native (christianized and europeanized) culture so much that the local colonist bigwigs hated them and sought their removal. Now that i have thought of it, it would be very cool if the Jesuits did something similar in Ireland, and these plantations backfired against the English, with the Jesuits setting up Gaelic presses and turning the Plantations into centers of Gaelic resistance.
Forced labor can have a variety of connotations, the Jesuit plantations in Ireland do not have the Irish enslaved. Serfdom would not really be appropriate either, given such a class didn't exist in Ireland, and such a class of peasantry in England was almost entirely died out by 1500. While the Jesuit reductions were definitely different compared to other land systems in Spanish America, I think it'd be unfair to classify it as being a good thing for the Guarani. Jesuit control over such reductions ran from sun-up to sun-down in a very rigid system, whether it was working in the fields or working indoors. Certainly it was more benign than other systems, but I'd also argue that it sounds rather forced and I would not classify it as a good for the natives, IMO. Just as the system here is not good for the Irish: their main issue is that they have a way of life that is alien to the English and does not fit into English views of conformity.

Given that these plantations in Ireland have royal backing and have received backing from the Church to further England's mission in Ireland, there is no doubt that that will be their main support. I do not see any reason why they would risk upsetting there. While they'll certainly do instruction Irish, English is likely to play a role just as Spanish did within the South American reductions, with the goal being to "civilize" the tribal Irish... ie, making them conform to English dress, laws, and norms. Given the church's role (and an English Pope, at that, extending vital support) these plantations will serve to further England's mission. Gaelic resistance will be through Wexford and the Protestant influenced presses there, not through the Jesuits.

Chapter 41. Rogues of Italy
Chapter 41. The Rogues of Italy
1545-1553; Italy.

“I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble.”
— Augustus

Musical Accompaniment: Toccata Cromatica XII

3wdrWaE.jpeg
t9MrIlH.jpeg

Duke Filippo II Emanuele of Milan & Duke Ottavio of Parma, c. 1550s; AI Generated.

The death of King François in 1547 had profound effects on the Italian peninsula, which allowed for the Treaty of Compiègne to come into effect. The king’s youngest living son—Philippe Emmanuel, the Duke of Orléans, who would become more commonly known as Filippo Emanuele, was finally enfeoffed with the Duchy of Milan and the Lordship of Genoa. As young Filippo was only twelve, it was decreed that his mother, Beatriz of Portugal, would serve as his regent until he came to age. Another concern was the erection of the Duchy of Parma in the territories surrounding Parma and Piacenza that Milan had once held. These were to be spun off into a second duchy, formed by the emperor, which was granted to the late French king’s eldest bastard son—Octave or Ottavio as he too would become known. He too was still in his youth, at fourteen—and it was agreed that he too should have a regent in the person of his mother, Anne Boullan—the Duchess of Plaisance and a long-standing rival to Beatriz of Portugal. These two women, who had long feuded in France, would soon export their problems into Italy.

Anne and Ottavio arrived at their new possessions first—Beatriz was detained by the forty-day mourning period carried out by the Dowager Queens of France. This head start allowed Anne to take hold of her son’s possessions and legitimize his territories in Italy—preventing their capture by Beatriz. Anne quickly took to the business of government and established her son’s court at the Palazzo del Governatore. “It is a grim place,” Anne wrote in a letter to her brother back in France. “Medieval and Romish, it has a beautiful edifice… but it does not compare to the châteaux of France.” One of her first decisions was to expend some £30,000 from her personal revenues to acquire a group of homes within Parma’s central square. She ordered them razed and soon began construction on what would become known as the Palazzo di Santilario, which in time would become more commonly known as the Palazzo Ducale.

Anne wanted to build a new palace for her son that would allow him to host a glorious court and enhance his power among the Italian princes. Anne worked chiefly with a small council—one of her primary advisors was Andrea Casali, a renowned humanist; another was the Bishop of Parma—Basilio Chiari. Anne did not dare rock the boat regarding Parma’s Catholic religious structures. While she continued to hear private Protestant sermons within her chapel, her son attended Catholic services hosted by Bishop Chiari. “Were he merely the Duke of Plaisance in France, he would have been free to choose the dictates of his own consciousness,” Anne wrote in another letter to her brother. “In Italy, the Catholic faith—and the Pope—reign supreme. If he is to reign here in this land, he must also be Catholic.” It wasn’t a thought that boded well for Anne, but she thought only of Ottavio. “When he is grown, I can return to France,” Anne wrote in her diary. “Only then will I be truly free to worship as I believe.” Anne still had many loyal servants—though some refused to continue in her service in Italy, she found new servants in Parma who became devoted to her. Anne also remained close to her siblings: Georges, the Duke of Valentinois, was not exactly welcomed at the more subdued court of François II and settled at Châlus with his wife Louise, where he dedicated himself to the management of his estates and the education of his two sons, Alain (b. 1538) and Jean (b. 1541) Marie, the Dame de La Bussière, and Anne’s elder sister agreed to accompany her to Parma—both as a companion and moral support. “My sister has been more than kind to us,” Marie wrote in a letter to her husband. “When her star was high in the sky, she did all she could for us. Now that her star has fallen, I feel compelled to offer her whatever support I can… I know that you shall be most busy with your archival work, and the children shall be in good hands… in hope to return in a year, perhaps two at the latest…”
400px-Arms_of_Charles_dOrleans_%28Milan%29.svg.png

The Coat of Arms of the Duke of Milan
Orléans quartered with those of Milan, used by the Visconti.

Beatriz and Filippo did not reach Milan until the fall of 1547, but compared with Anne’s trepidation, Beatriz was overjoyed. “Even the air here is fresher and lighter compared to that which I have breathed day in and day out,” Beatriz would write in a joyous letter to her brother in Portugal. “Twenty years of heartache and trouble faded when I crossed the frontier.” Beatriz and Filippo first took up residence in Pavia at Visconti Castle, with the queen dowager issuing strict instructions that both Palazzo Ducale in Milan should be prepared for her son’s inhabitance, alongside the Castello Sforzesca. It did not take long for Beatriz to earn a reputation as a taskmaster among the Milanese. Many of them fondly referred to the queen dowager as Madama Vedova—Madam Widow. “Queen Dowager Beatriz left France loaded down with whatever she could take with her,” one historian wrote. “Furniture, tapestries—even books, glassware, and candles—all were taken so that they could decorate the spartan Milanese palazzo and castles, some of which had not been inhabited in decades. In one instance, Beatriz even carted away her featherbed from Fontainebleau. When Queen Isabelle took possession of the queen dowager’s chambers, she could not help but remark: ‘Perhaps an inventory would be easier if we counted that which the queen dowager has not taken.’ While some items were in the queen’s right to take, others, perhaps, were not—from the royal library, she claimed tomes that had previously been a part of the Visconti library… half had been removed from Pavia to France in 1498; she succeeded in claiming about a third of the books to be returned.” Like Anne, Beatriz was desperate to make the Milanese residences comfortable for herself and her son. Unlike Anne, Beatriz intended to remain in Italy until she took her last dying breath. Beatriz used her jointure, valued at some £35,000 per annum, liberally—she used funds shortly after her arrival to purchase land near the ducal park in Milan to build her own private residence, the Padiglione del Porto.

Beatriz had always been denied an official political position throughout her marriage to King François. Despite this, she proved to be a quick study. The first move was to weaken French influence within the Senate of Milan—she named Ippolito d’Este, the Archbishop of Milan, her primary minister. Even her household was purged of French influence, with Beatriz naming Ricciarda Malaspina, the Marquise of Massa, as her primary lady-in-waiting. Beatriz’s working relationship with the archbishop proved helpful. It allowed her to build relationships with Italy’s native princes—such as Ippolito’s brother, Ercole II—the Duke of Ferrara and Modena. Ercole II had been wed to the daughter of the late Claude of Lorraine, Maria of Lorraine, who had given him two sons, Alfonso (b. 1534) and Claudio (b. 1545), and a daughter Maria Antoinetta (b. 1543). It had not been a happy marriage, and Ercole shed no tears upon her death. Ercole was one of the first princes invited to Milan by Beatriz—with some whispering that perhaps she had an ulterior motive. “She has moved through the seasons—spring, summer, and fall, with tragedy at every turn,” one Italian poet allegedly wrote. “In the winter of life, a new love springs forth to revive.” For the first time in her life, Beatriz discovered that men were not all lecherous creatures. “I discovered that men, even handsome ones—could be kind… and dare I say, loving?” She wrote in a letter to the Marquise of Massa. Ercole lavished attention upon the queen dowager—lavishing her with gifts and trinkets while spending as much time in Milan with her as he possibly could. By 1548, Ercole had swept Beatriz entirely off her feet. They wed secretly at Santa Maria del Carmine; by late 1549, the secret was out when Beatriz discovered she was pregnant. The marriage was publicly solemnized at the ducal chapel by the Archbishop of Milan, and Beatriz soon adopted the style of Duchess of Ferrara, Modena, and Reggio—along with inviting Ercole II to share in the authority of the regency of Milan. Beatriz would give birth to a daughter named Isabella in the spring of 1550. At forty-six, Beatriz had not expected to remarry, let alone have another child—but she was beyond overjoyed. “Better a duchess in happiness and health,” Beatriz reportedly told one of her ladies. “Then a queen in tragedy and misery.” Beatriz’s ambition had not tempered—she still wished for her son to shine brighter than all the other Italian princes. But for the first time, Beatriz was content with her own life.

With Filippo Emanuele nearing his fourteenth birthday, Beatriz knew it would soon be time for him to take a wife—either a Spanish princess or one of the emperor’s daughters. She settled upon a Spanish match for her son, accepting through the Treaty of Chiavari in 1549 that formally betrothed her son to the Spanish Infanta Leonor (b. 1540), who was Beatriz’s niece through her late sister Isabella. Though Leonor was still young, it was arranged that they would be wed shortly following the infanta’s twelfth birthday in 1552, allowing her to spend the final years of her education in Milan. Beatriz sent tutors to Spain to educate Leonor in Italian and etiquette. They even began to exchange letters—with Beatriz wishing to have a better relationship with Leonor than she had ever had in France with her other daughter-in-law, Isabelle. “We are daily waiting for the years to pass so that you might finally be able to join us,” Beatriz wrote in a honied letter to Leonor, dated in 1550. “My son treasures the miniature that your father sent, and already he has begun decorating your chambers, a most spacious suite of rooms that will adjoin his own…” Under Beatriz’s aegis, Milan became a glittering court—a Maestro di Stalla managed the stables, while the Cacciatore handled the court’s hunting excursions. The Maggiordomo di Palazzo managed the ducal household, while the duke’s chamber was managed by the Ciambello. Beatriz had her own separate household. “The birth of Milan’s court etiquette came through Duke Filippo’s installation as Duke of Milan. The household was reconstituted from scratch—mostly along French lines, as no ducal household had existed for nearly fifty years.” Filippo Emanuele formally attained his majority at the age of eighteen in 1553. Though Beatriz was allowed to retire from the regency, she was immediately appointed to the Consiglio Ducale, which served Milan’s privy council. Duke Filippo also invited his stepfather, the Duke of Ferrara to advise him on matters of state.

SbON9Dt.jpeg

Milan Embraces the Duke of Milan—Allegorical Fresco of Milan's Palazzo Ducale, c. 1570; AI Generated.

If Milan represented Italy’s jewel, Parma represented a more provincial backwater. Though the Duchess of Plaisance did what she could to raise the standards in Parma, she understood her son occupied a small sovereign territory. Parma was less a city than a town, with some 20,000 souls—while the duchy possessed perhaps some 250,000 souls. “We have no true treasury to speak of,” Anne wrote piteously to her brother. “The annual revenues are piteous—some £20,000 per annum, with which I am expected to fund the court, carry out renovations, repairs, and new constructions, and pay our army. Our army is a mere 4000 men… perhaps five hundred of those are fit for fighting service as members of the ducal guard, former men of the Armée d’Italie… their costs alone consume over half the revenues…” Anne was forced to use her revenues from France to cover the numerous shortfalls. “It must be something we acquaint ourselves with,” Anne reportedly quipped to one of her ladies-in-waiting. “When I am but dust and gone, my son shall be forced to do the same.” While Beatriz could rest easy in Milan, Anne’s time in Parma was one of worry and anguish. “While Beatriz had left the misery of France for brighter pastures,” one historian wrote in the opening lines of Anne & Beatriz: The Rogues of Italy. “Anne’s experience was the opposite—losing her protector and benefactor, she left the protection of France for the unknown of Italy, where for the first time she had not won the first prize. Parma’s sovereignty was an important win, but its territory and wealth were a pittance compared to Milan and Genoa—who had the support of the Habsburgs behind them. Alone in an alien land that did not even recognize her faith. For perhaps the first time in her life, the cossetted maîtresse of François I faced her first ever genuine challenge.”

South of Milan was the Kingdom of Naples—still secure under the rule of the House of Lorraine. By 1549, Louis IV—better known as Luigi IV, had sat on the Neapolitan throne for nearly twenty years. He had wed a Princess of France, Louise, and their match proved fecund, with two daughters, Francesca (b. 1536) and Claudia (b. 1542), and two sons, Renato (b. 1537) and Antonio (b. 1541). Two children had died young—Giovanna in 1538, shortly after birth, and Giovanni, who died in 1545 at the age of four. “Both the king and queen were in misery following the young prince’s death,” one lady-in-waiting to Louise wrote. “They wept and prayed together, but to no avail—while the king was made of sterner stuff and able to move forward, the queen could not. Delicate and shy, she was not meant for the public life of a consort… she withdrew into her chambers following the young prince’s death, complaining of maladies that struck at her head and her back like daggers cutting through the flesh. His Majesty did all he could for her, even staying at her side for her last moments. Three months after the death of the young prince, our queen perished as well.” It was said that Luigi was inconsolable at the death of his wife, whom he had been fond of. Louise was given an opulent funeral and was laid to rest in the Basilica of Santa Chiara. Louise was the first queen to be buried within the basilica since Giovanna of Naples in 1382—Luigi used the funeral to demonstrate his claims to Naples through the Angevin line. Shortly after, the king hired Pirro Ligorio as a royal architect—Luigi desired for Ligorio to not only construct a tomb for the late queen but also paint new frescoes within the basilica and update its Gothic interior. Luigi would spend some 250,000 ducats renovating Santa Chiara, which he intended to be the burial place of his dynasty. Though the Neapolitan line was secure, some within the king’s council pressed him to consider the possibility of remarriage. “You are yet young, sire,” Scipione Farinacci, the king’s chief councilor, cautioned. “More than that, the royal princes and princesses are still young—Signora Francesca is nine, and Signor Renato is eight; the youngest, Signor Antonio and Signora Claudia are six and three. You are a most august parent, but the kingdom’s demands also weigh upon you… what they shall need is a mother’s love and affection.” The king at first resisted these calls to remarry, reportedly chastising the council: “Her Majesty’s body is not yet cold, yet you already seek to replace her. Remember, sirs, the good that she did—and how well she treated all of you.”

By 1547, the king relented and agreed to remarry—but he did not give the council a chance to find him a wife; instead, he announced before them that he did intend to wed again—and that his future wife and queen would be Isabella of Savoy—a maid of honor within Queen Louise’s former household. Isabella, born in 1529, was the daughter of Philippe of Savoy, better known as the Duke of Nemours, who had died shortly before her birth. Isabella was better known because of her mother, Bona Sforza—the Duchess of Bari and Princess of Rossano. Isabella’s parents had not wed for love—Bona wed Philippe at the late age of thirty-two to protect her lands and interests during the French occupation of Naples, though he had been proposed as a husband in her youth. Wed in 1526, Philippe had left Bona pregnant in 1528 and died five months later. Four months later, in early 1529, Isabella was born. Luigi IV had become king, and Bona felt secure as the widow of a prince aligned with France. Though she often attended court, she preferred to reside in her domains. Still, Isabella had been sent to court at a young age, and though the pretty girl had many suitors, her mother always hoped for a more extraordinary match. What was more extraordinary than the King of Naples?

NU2e16P.jpeg

Isabella of Savoy, c. 1547; AI Generated.

“Bona, the Duchess of Bari, had once been a jewel of the Sforza dynasty,” one historian would write in their biography about Bona, titled Jewel of the Sforza. “She was considered as a consort for her cousin Massimiliano—a plan that collapsed following the French invasion of Italy in 1515 that deposed the Sforza in Milan for good. Other proposals came and failed—Guiliano de Medici, Ferdinand, the Prince of Asturias, and even Philippe of Savoy and Lorenzo de Medici, the Duke of Urbino… all these matches failed, and Bona languished in Bari, where she succeeded her mother in 1524 as Duchess of Bari. She quickly fell into conflict with the Spanish; the Viceroy of Naples, Hugo of Moncada, attempted to bully Bona into willing her territories into Spain, given her lack of an heir. He also solicited loans for his government in Naples that would eventually reach the sum of some 200,000 ducats. There also remained unsolved issues regarding the inheritance of her great-aunt, Joanna of Aragon, the late Queen of Naples: she had willed a significant portion of her fortune to Bona’s mother, but part was held by Charles V as King of Spain. When the French invaded Naples, she quickly threw her lot with them and was favorably rewarded; when Luigi IV became king, one of his first acts was to allow Bona to claim the whole of her great aunt’s inheritance that existed within Naples, which made her even wealthier. Still, she could not but hope that her daughter’s future might be more brilliant than her own—and that her daughter might marry a king.”

It surprised very few that Bona Sforza’s daughter had triumphed as the prime candidate for the widowed king’s hand. “All know that the Duchess of Bari is perhaps one of the wealthiest women in the kingdom,” one courtier wrote in a gossipy letter. “If her daughter has truly secured the king’s affections, then the duchess shall give anything to see that her daughter becomes queen.” This proved prescient, as Bona offered a massive dowry of 350,000 ducats that dwarfed even what the king had received from France. The marriage contract was signed at Aversa in June 1547: the main stipulations centered around Bona Sforza’s landed domains. Luigi agreed that Isabella should have unrestricted inheritance of both Bari and Rossano when Bona died and that the domains would be administered by Isabella outside of the royal demesne for her life. In terms of the succession to Bona’s lands, the marriage agreement recognized that Isabella would pass the duchy either to her eldest son (or barring sons) to her eldest daughter—with the marriage of the future Duchess of Bari to be decided by the (future) King of Naples. If Isabella had no issue with the king, it was agreed that Isabella would recognize Renato, the king’s eldest son and heir, as her successor. Luigi and Isabella married several days later in a subdued ceremony at the Chapel of Santa Maria a Sicola in Naples.

500px-Raphael_-_The_Miraculous_Draft_of_Fishes_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

The Miraculous Draught of Fishes by Raphael as part of the Raphael Cartoons; c. 1515-16.

In Rome, all concerned the newly elected Pope Adrian VI—formally Reginald Pole—who had triumphed in the 1549-50 Conclave. Margaret Pole, Countess of Salisbury and now mother of the pope, wrote a letter to Queen Mary when she discovered the news. “God is most truly gracious… I could have never imagined that one of my sons might have risen to such heights, let alone the glories of serving as our Holy Father and guiding our church. I am truly most content, madame.” The countess passed away a few months into Pope Adrian’s new reign in August 1550—several weeks before her seventy-sixth birthday. The election of Adrian VI represented a significant victory for the Spirituali, or evangelists—those who believed that their church and faith needed reform—primarily through spiritual renewal and a more internal focus on faith through scripture and justification by faith. Adrian’s victory dealt a blow to the more conservative Zelanti faction within the church, but it did not mean their destruction. Adrian entered his pontificate with some within the Roman Curia weary of his intentions, such as Cardinal Gian Pietro Carafa, who had sought to prevent Adrian VI’s election and failed. Carafa’s hatred and rivalry with the new pope was so intense that Carafa even began to believe that Adrian VI was a wolf that masqueraded as a sheep. “I believe firmly and fully with all my heart and soul,” Cardinal Carafa wrote to an associate. “That we have erred, and this election shall be a blemish upon our Holy Church until the end times. Holy Father, he may be, but he cannot be trusted. I know within my heart and soul that the man is a fraud and a Lutheran… he shall destroy us all if given the chance, and I refuse to let him do so.

Adrian VI did not concern himself much with Carafa—in Adrian’s eyes, the man was merely a sore loser. One of Adrian’s first acts as pope was to reorganize the curia. He nominated as Cardinal-Nephew his nephew Arthur—eldest son of his younger brother, Geoffrey. Arthur was named Cardinal-Deacon with the titular church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin, which Adrian had previously held. Adrian VI took steps to delineate his nephew’s role within his papacy, writing to Arthur: “Know that I give you this honor for the glory of our church and not of our house. I shall lean upon you for your assistance; know that I shall reward you well for this but in line with your accomplishments. Do not think you shall reap riches merely upon your name and title alone.” Adrian VI immediately sought to make changes to the curia. Giovanni Morone was named Vice Chancellor, while Francesco Pisani was named Camerlengo. Giovanni Domenico de Cupis was named the first Cardinal-Secretary of State. The pope tasked Cardinal Cupis to serve as a tutor and instructor to his nephew. “Pope Adrian VI was deliberate in his choices—though he had spent nearly twenty years in Rome, he understood the Romans would see him as a foreigner and Englishman first and foremost.” one biographer of Adrian VI wrote. “He desired to surround himself with those cardinals who would support his views but who had established relationships within the church already.” Adrian VI’s first formal consistory was held in the Summer of 1550—he nominated not only his nephew Arthur Pole but Edigio Foscarari, Pietro Lippomano, Isidoro Chiari, and Girolamo Seripano—all men that held views within the bounds of the Spirituali. Another appointee was Cuthbert Tunstall, Archbishop of Canterbury—who was recognized as Crown-Cardinal of England and England’s first who was not an Italian. Robert de Croÿ, the Bishop of Cambrai, was also appointed alongside Jean Suau of France.

Adrian VI placed very great importance upon the Council of Bologna. Though the council had been opened in the year previously by Gelasius III, his death shortly after its opening had robbed the church of needed initiative. The issue of Protestant attendance also remained up in the air. Though Charles V demanded that the German Protestants send a delegation to Bologna, many remained intransigent about attending a council in the heart of the Papal States. These matters were compounded in the fall of 1550 when an outbreak of the plague occurred in Bologna—leading Adrian to prorogue the council before it even truly opened to begin any deliberations. Adrian, intent on reopening the council before the end of 1551, decided that the council needed to be moved. Adrian received numerous suggestions and offers—some suggested moving the council into Germany; Charles V offered up Besançon alongside Konstanz as a possible location. François II incensed at the idea, threatened to host a national council in France and to embargo the export of gold to Rome if the council was moved to Germany. “A council in Germany would be dominated by schismatics and heretics,” François II wrote in an adamant letter to Adrian VI. “Remember well that France is the eldest daughter of the church; should you sacrifice our affection, you risk sacrificing our obedience as well.” François offered up the city of Arles and suggested that the pope consider moving the council to Avignon—ideas that also met the emperor’s rejection. “My son-in-law holds a knife at your throat and expects you to bow to his authority,” Charles V wrote to the pope. “You cannot hold the council in Arles or even Avignon—it will stink of French influence that damned the last council. The Protestants will not attend such a council. I cannot guarantee that German prelates would either… and if the Germans do not attend, you may be assured that the English and Spanish will also think otherwise, dooming your good intentions to another shuttered council.” The Venetians offered up Padua, but Adrian VI dismissed the offer with thanks. He remembered well the failures that had plagued the previous Council of Bologna—and the move to Verona did not fix them. In the end, Adrian secured an agreement with Lucerne to move the council there. “It cannot displease anyone,” Adrian VI wrote in a letter to Cardinal Morone. “Lucerne lays outside the dominions of the emperor and King of France; it is not in Italy, nor in Germany… more than that, the city and patricians have agreed to assist in financing the council, which will help matters greatly.” With plans to reopen the council, now known as the Council of Lucerne, Adrian appointed three new legates to attend: Niccolò Ardinghelli, Ercole Gonzaga, and Gasparo Contarini[1]. All three men were chosen not because of their wide breadth of knowledge and credentials but because of their firm belief that the Catholic Church needed reform—views that aligned with the pope’s own.

Religious issues would largely dominate and overshadow Adrian’s pontificate. Despite this, Adrian VI attempted to implement fiscal and political reforms to the best of his ability. Adrian spent vast sums to expand Ancona’s port, which had been declared a free port in 1532. He also allowed Jews to continue to settle in Ancona as well as Rome—though the yellow badge was still strictly enforced. Adrian also sought to provide relief to the Conversanos and Marranos, who daily begged the Roman Curia for relief—paying vast sums for the privilege to beg like dogs. While Adrian VI dared not meddle in the affairs of Spain or Portugal, he made the gift of the islands of Ponza and Ventotene (uninhabited since medieval times) to the Iberian Jewish community residing in Rome for an annual rent of 6000 scudi. “Settle these islands and make them yours,” Adrian exhorted to the Jewish envoys. “They shall suit your needs perfectly—should you agree to live quietly, prosper, fortify them, and pay what you shall owe us each year, they are yours.” Adrian ensured that the Jews within the dominions of the church fell under his protection—and that they were solely under his own authority. Adrian also sought to balance out papal finances—he instituted measures of economy within the Papal Household while slightly increasing the nominal fees owed for dispensations and also to file suits within the Apostolic Camera. “While Pope Adrian VI’s fiscal policy was not without its issues,” one historian of Adrian’s policy wrote. “It made him the first pope of his era that attempted to deal with Rome’s unsettled financial situation. While Adrian VI might have simply accumulated more debt through the luoghi di monte like his predecessors (which he still did, to an extent), he truly attempted to bring about a change.” New direct taxes were also established to maintain the papal galleys and papal armies, while the gabella delle carne was introduced in 1552 as a direct tax on meat. Compared with previous Popes, Adrian attempted to work with the Roman Curia as best he could. While the curia was in no way returned to its former status as the Senate of the Roman Church; it enjoyed more input and influence over Papal policies than it had in previous pontificates—even if it was those aligned with Adrian’s VI’s policies who received the most benefit from this change.

400px-Cranach_il_giovane%2C_allegoria_della_redenzione%2C_1557_01.JPG

Allegory of Redemption, Lucas Cranach the Younger; c. 1557.

As 1551 opened in Parma, Anne’s primary concern was to search for a wife for her son—who had recently attained his majority. “Though the young Duke of Parma possessed the blood of the House of Valois—it was from the wrong side of the blanket,” one historian would write. “Few Italian princes had the desired to attach themselves to the late King of France’s bastard—especially when the new interests of François II heralded the possibility of Italy shaking off the Italian yoke.” With the Duke of Ferrara’s marriage to Beatriz, any union with the House of Este was impossible. Not even the parvenus of Italy, the Medici expressed interest in such a union. “My wife is the bastard of an emperor,” Duke Lorenzo III uttered. “I shall not wed one of my daughters to the bastard of a king.” Eventually, Anne arranged for Ottavio to marry a daughter of the Lord of Monaco, Francesca Grimaldi (b. 1536), through the Treaty of Piacenza signed in June 1551. Ottavio would wed his Monégasque bride in the spring of 1552 in grand style at the Palazzo del Governatore, which the court currently occupied. “The Duchess of Plaisance wished for her son’s wedding to be an opulent affair,” the Rogues of Italy continued. “She spared no expense—some £5000 was raised through an extraordinary tax in Parma (to great discontent and grumbling), while she would expend another £25,000 of her own funds, which she ordered sent to a Florentine bank from France, fearing the Genoese might not be as helpful. Though the wedding was grand, Beatriz sought to outdo her rival everywhere… it was rumored that some £60,000 alone was spent on the Duke of Milan’s wedding to his young Spanish bride held in the same year, which included a religious ceremony at the Cathedral of Milan and massive feasts and celebrations at the Palazzo Ducale which lasted for several days and included many dignitaries, with many Italian ambassadors attending on behalf of their masters and offering felicitations to the newly married couple. In contrast, the wedding of the Duke of Parma was grand, if not subdued—attended primarily by the gentry and nobility of the duchy.” Though the Duke of Parma was now wed and had assumed the government over his duchy, Anne remained in Parma as a valuable source of support, despite her desire to return to France. “So long as he wishes for me to be here, so I shall stay,” Anne told her sister Marie. “In truth, I cannot leave so long as the Portuguese harpy breathes… were I to retire to France tomorrow, the next day, my son would be dead. The late king fought for him to receive this duchy… I will not allow it to be lost so long as I am alive…”

The early 1550s represented a flourishing period for the Italian peninsula. “Little more than serviles, we have been trampled and crumpled under the boot of the French,” An Italian pamphleteer, Niccolò Franco, wrote in Il Secondo Raptio (The Second Rape), a pamphlet published in 1552 that attacked French influence in Italy. “Robbed, beaten, corrupted: we are once more the Sabines at the mercy of a mighty Rome, without its true luster.” Such political tracts attacking the French became increasingly common at the start of the decade, primarily coming out of Milan and other Italian cities, such as Ferrara, Florence, and even Rome. Niccolò Franco, once in the service of the Duke of Mantua, was invited to enter Milanese service. Beatriz provided Franco with a pension of 300 scudi and named him cameriere di camera within her son’s household. There was a revival in Italian culture, and many Italian artists and musicians saw themselves as patriots—viewing their culture under attack by the dominion of France. “The French are leeches and always have been,” one Italian musician reportedly wrote in a letter. “The refinement and elegance for which they are known for come from us… when they descended upon us in 1494, they were no better than barbarians. They have claimed our art, music, and heritage as their own…” France’s position in Italy following the death of François I had greatly shifted; François II saw the matter of Italy as finished and following the cessation of Milan and Genoa to Filippo Emmanuele and that of Parma to Ottavio, he ordered the French administration in Italy scaled down. “Italy has been conquered,” François II wrote in his private diary. “It is chained to us through our princes and men, and it shall always be. Italy was my father’s dream; It is finished. I dream instead of Artois and Franche-Comté, dominions that by right belong to my wife (and myself) but which have been denied to us for nearly twenty years. I strive for France’s greatness before all things.”

400px-Veronese_Allegory_of_Wisdom_and_Strength.jpg

Allegory of Wisdom and Strength, Paolo Veronese; c. 1555.

In 1547, François II signed the Treaty of Novara with the Duke of Savoy—returning to Carlo III the dominions he had lost nearly ten years before—though Carlo was forced to recognize French influence over Saluzzo, held by Michele II, son of the late Marquis Francesco Ludovico. A year later, in 1549, François II abolished the French governorships in Milan and Genoa, ending the parallel governments that had hereto existed in both regions since 1547. François II ordered the recall of French administrators from both areas, allowing the Milanese regency to appoint their own officials for the first time. These changes were soon followed by reductions in the 1550s of the Armée d’Italie. “French finances were in poor shape in the early reign of François II—owing to the profligacy of his father,” one historian wrote. “When François Ier died, French annual revenues stood at nearly seven million livres—but they were swallowed almost completely by the late king’s debts: he owed nearly seven million alone to financiers in Lyons; some three million was owed to the city of Paris through the Bureau de Ville, and debts accumulated from the wars of 1536 and 1542 totaled almost four million.”

While François could restructure and reschedule some of his father’s debts in 1550, his financial situation remained dire. Though he introduced financial innovations to the Maison du Roi, one of the king’s councilors, Henri de Saint-Priest d’Épinac, attacked the bloated Armée d’Italie as a source of the king’s financial woes. “Men of France are garrisoned from Milan to Calabria, sire. It is the Armée d’Italie which is an anchor about your neck,” a letter from Saint-Priest to François II began—with the second part detailing alleged monthly expenses. “Officer’s Wages—£63,000. Soldier’s Wages—£50,000. Supplies—£38,000. Horses—£20,000. Gunpowder—£18,000. This great army costs Your Majesty some two million livres per annum. To restore the treasury, expenses in Italy must be lessened considerably.” François II paid heed to Saint-Priest’s suggestions: in 1550, garrisons in Naples were ordered to be drastically reduced. In 1551, François planned with Adrian VI to restore the port of Civitavecchia to the pope. French garrisons in central Italy were also drastically curtailed—those at Bologna, Ferrara, and Florence were dissolved completely, leaving a force of some 3000 men that would be based instead in Parma—retained only at the behest of the Duchess of Plaisance. By 1553, François II ordered the headquarters of the Armée d’Italie shifted to Alessandria, granted to them by the Duke of Milan. By 1553, the army in Lombardy now numbered some 11,000 men, its posture shifted from conquest to defense. “The Armée d’Italie should function as an instrument of security, not of conquest,” François II wrote again in his diaries. “It must be augmented by the troops of our Italian vassals and friends—Italians should bleed for Italy, not Frenchmen.” It indeed represented a kind thought—though perhaps not a realistic one when the Duke of Milan, despite being a French prince, looked instead to his Habsburg cousins for succor in place of his French brother. It was not a unique thought—and by 1553, many others in Italy felt the same.

Ercole was one of the first princes invited to Milan by Beatriz
By 1548, Ercole had swept Beatriz entirely off her feet. They wed secretly at Santa Maria del Carmine; by late 1549, the secret was out when Beatriz discovered she was pregnant.
You go girl. And I wonder what France will say about its dowager queen remarrying without their permission to a sovereign Italian Duke? But on the other hand, Francis I and II haven't really been good to Beatriz either so they only have them self to blame.
“Queen Dowager Beatriz left France loaded down with whatever she could take with her,” one historian wrote. “Furniture, tapestries—even books, glassware, and candles—all were taken so that they could decorate the spartan Milanese palazzo and castles, some of which had not been inhabited in decades. In one instance, Beatriz even carted away her featherbed from Fontainebleau. When Queen Isabelle took possession of the queen dowager’s chambers, she could not help but remark: ‘Perhaps an inventory would be easier if we counted that which the queen dowager has not taken.’ While some items were in the queen’s right to take, others, perhaps, were not—from the royal library, she claimed tomes that had previously been a part of the Visconti library… half had been removed from Pavia to France in 1498; she succeeded in claiming about a third of the books to be returned.”
Lmao, she really did say peace out and stole the silverware on her way out of France. Perhaps she would not have taken it if you had been nicer to her, Isabelle! Suck on that!
She settled upon a Spanish match for her son, accepting through the Treaty of Chiavari in 1549 that formally betrothed her son to the Spanish Infanta Leonor (b. 1540), who was Beatriz’s niece through her late sister Isabella.
Oooooh. So the dowager of France goes and marries a Italian Duke, dimishes French influence in Milan and then her son goes and marries a Spanish Infanta. Now we are cooking with 🔥.
France’s position in Italy following the death of François I had greatly shifted; François II saw the matter of Italy as finished and following the cessation of Milan and Genoa to Filippo Emmanuele and that of Parma to Ottavio, he ordered the French administration in Italy scaled down.
This is totally not going to backfire in some ways.
It indeed represented a kind thought—though perhaps not a realistic one when the Duke of Milan, despite being a French prince, looked instead to his Habsburg cousins for succor in place of his French brother. It was not a unique thought—and by 1553, many others in Italy felt the same.
Independent Milan let's goooo!

While some items were in the queen’s right to take, others, perhaps, were not—from the royal library, she claimed tomes that had previously been a part of the Visconti library… half had been removed from Pavia to France in 1498; she succeeded in claiming about a third of the books to be returned.”
Honestly, werk. Return those stolen books to where they belong in Milan
Ercole was one of the first princes invited to Milan by Beatriz—with some whispering that perhaps she had an ulterior motive. “She has moved through the seasons—spring, summer, and fall, with tragedy at every turn,” one Italian poet allegedly wrote. “In the winter of life, a new love springs forth to revive.” For the first time in her life, Beatriz discovered that men were not all lecherous creatures. “I discovered that men, even handsome ones—could be kind… and dare I say, loving?” She wrote in a letter to the Marquise of Massa. Ercole lavished attention upon the queen dowager—lavishing her with gifts and trinkets while spending as much time in Milan with her as he possibly could. By 1548, Ercole had swept Beatriz entirely off her feet. They wed secretly at Santa Maria del Carmine; by late 1549, the secret was out when Beatriz discovered she was pregnant. The marriage was publicly solemnized at the ducal chapel by the Archbishop of Milan, and Beatriz soon adopted the style of Duchess of Ferrara, Modena, and Reggio—along with inviting Ercole II to share in the authority of the regency of Milan. Beatriz would give birth to a daughter named Isabella in the spring of 1550. At forty-six, Beatriz had not expected to remarry, let alone have another child—but she was beyond overjoyed. “Better a duchess in happiness and health,” Beatriz reportedly told one of her ladies. “Then a queen in tragedy and misery.” Beatriz’s ambition had not tempered—she still wished for her son to shine brighter than all the other Italian princes. But for the first time, Beatriz was content with her own life.
About time that Beatriz got her happy ending. We stan the happy Duchess
With Filippo Emanuele nearing his fourteenth birthday, Beatriz knew it would soon be time for him to take a wife—either a Spanish princess or one of the emperor’s daughters. She settled upon a Spanish match for her son, accepting through the Treaty of Chiavari in 1549 that formally betrothed her son to the Spanish Infanta Leonor (b. 1540), who was Beatriz’s niece through her late sister Isabella. Though Leonor was still young, it was arranged that they would be wed shortly following the infanta’s twelfth birthday in 1552, allowing her to spend the final years of her education in Milan. Beatriz sent tutors to Spain to educate Leonor in Italian and etiquette. They even began to exchange letters—with Beatriz wishing to have a better relationship with Leonor than she had ever had in France with her other daughter-in-law, Isabelle. “We are daily waiting for the years to pass so that you might finally be able to join us,” Beatriz wrote in a honied letter to Leonor, dated in 1550. “My son treasures the miniature that your father sent, and already he has begun decorating your chambers, a most spacious suite of rooms that will adjoin his own…”
Damn, Milan is gonna leave the French orbit quickly it seems. Already, Beatriz is cozying up to the Habsburgs
“Anne’s experience was the opposite—losing her protector and benefactor, she left the protection of France for the unknown of Italy, where for the first time she had not won the first prize. Parma’s sovereignty was an important win, but its territory and wealth were a pittance compared to Milan and Genoa—who had the support of the Habsburgs behind them. Alone in an alien land that did not even recognize her faith. For perhaps the first time in her life, the cossetted maîtresse of François I faced her first ever genuine challenge.”
About time that Anne faced some difficulties ttl. Beatriz must be laughing her ass off in Milan
The marriage contract was signed at Aversa in June 1547: the main stipulations centered around Bona Sforza’s landed domains. Luigi agreed that Isabella should have unrestricted inheritance of both Bari and Rossano when Bona died and that the domains would be administered by Isabella outside of the royal demesne for her life. In terms of the succession to Bona’s lands, the marriage agreement recognized that Isabella would pass the duchy either to her eldest son (or barring sons) to her eldest daughter—with the marriage of the future Duchess of Bari to be decided by the (future) King of Naples. If Isabella had no issue with the king, it was agreed that Isabella would recognize Renato, the king’s eldest son and heir, as her successor. Luigi and Isabella married several days later in a subdued ceremony at the Chapel of Santa Maria a Sicola in Naples.
Finally Bari is back in the King of Naples’ hands it seems!
In 1547, François II signed the Treaty of Novara with the Duke of Savoy—returning to Carlo III the dominions he had lost nearly ten years before—though Carlo was forced to recognize French influence over Saluzzo, held by Michele II, son of the late Marquis Francesco Ludovico. A year later, in 1549, François II abolished the French governorships in Milan and Genoa, ending the parallel governments that had hereto existed in both regions since 1547. François II ordered the recall of French administrators from both areas, allowing the Milanese regency to appoint their own officials for the first time. These changes were soon followed by reductions in the 1550s of the Armée d’Italie. “French finances were in poor shape in the early reign of François II—owing to the profligacy of his father,” one historian wrote. “When François Ier died, French annual revenues stood at nearly seven million livres—but they were swallowed almost completely by the late king’s debts: he owed nearly seven million alone to financiers in Lyons; some three million was owed to the city of Paris through the Bureau de Ville, and debts accumulated from the wars of 1536 and 1542 totaled almost four million.”

While François could restructure and reschedule some of his father’s debts in 1550, his financial situation remained dire. Though he introduced financial innovations to the Maison du Roi, one of the king’s councilors, Henri de Saint-Priest d’Épinac, attacked the bloated Armée d’Italie as a source of the king’s financial woes. “Men of France are garrisoned from Milan to Calabria, sire. It is the Armée d’Italie which is an anchor about your neck,” a letter from Saint-Priest to François II began—with the second part detailing alleged monthly expenses. “Officer’s Wages—£63,000. Soldier’s Wages—£50,000. Supplies—£38,000. Horses—£20,000. Gunpowder—£18,000. This great army costs Your Majesty some two million livres per annum. To restore the treasury, expenses in Italy must be lessened considerably.” François II paid heed to Saint-Priest’s suggestions: in 1550, garrisons in Naples were ordered to be drastically reduced. In 1551, François planned with Adrian VI to restore the port of Civitavecchia to the pope. French garrisons in central Italy were also drastically curtailed—those at Bologna, Ferrara, and Florence were dissolved completely, leaving a force of some 3000 men that would be based instead in Parma—retained only at the behest of the Duchess of Plaisance. By 1553, François II ordered the headquarters of the Armée d’Italie shifted to Alessandria, granted to them by the Duke of Milan. By 1553, the army in Lombardy now numbered some 11,000 men, its posture shifted from conquest to defense. “The Armée d’Italie should function as an instrument of security, not of conquest,” François II wrote again in his diaries. “It must be augmented by the troops of our Italian vassals and friends—Italians should bleed for Italy, not Frenchmen.” It indeed represented a kind thought—though perhaps not a realistic one when the Duke of Milan, despite being a French prince, looked instead to his Habsburg cousins for succor in place of his French brother. It was not a unique thought—and by 1553, many others in Italy felt the same.
So Francis II is relenting on the Italian ambitions, it seems. No doubt the Habsburgs are gearing up for a round two then. Hopefully Ferdinand gets Naples back and reunites the Sicilies
Lmao, she really did say peace out and stole the silverware on her way out of France. Perhaps she would not have taken it if you had been nicer to her, Isabelle! Suck on that!
Sophia Petrillo would be proud

Seems like Italy is ready to slip away(outside of Naples given they're close allies with France) which honestly is not that bad for France, if they can keep the Italians from outright joining against them when another war with Habsburgs erupt, then already that will work perfectly for both parties as France doesn't worry about another front and the Italians don't get their lands ravished once again. The true prize for France after all is into the Burgudian Inheritance and the lands west of the Rhine, losing Italy is much more acceptable if they can get the more valuable and(more importantly, defensible) territory in the North.

You go girl. And I wonder what France will say about its dowager queen remarrying without their permission to a sovereign Italian Duke? But on the other hand, Francis I and II haven't really been good to Beatriz either so they only have them self to blame.
François II is not happy, to say the least... but at the same turn of the coin, there is nothing he could really do to keep his step-mother from remarrying. She waited her forty days in France and was not pregnant by the late king. He knew by letting her go to Milan that she might get up to mischief.

This is totally not going to backfire in some ways.
Oh yes. It's going to be a mess, and quite soon.

Damn, Milan is gonna leave the French orbit quickly it seems. Already, Beatriz is cozying up to the Habsburgs
It was to be expected. In many ways, the Treaty of Compiègne has proven a poisoned chalice for the French... François I will be spinning in his grave no doubt.

About time that Anne faced some difficulties ttl. Beatriz must be laughing her ass off in Milan
Yep, she's in the most vulnerable position in her life. I found it interesting to see how their lives might change when the king was gone. Beatriz's star is on the rise, Anne's is falling.

So Francis II is relenting on the Italian ambitions, it seems. No doubt the Habsburgs are gearing up for a round two then. Hopefully Ferdinand gets Naples back and reunites the Sicilies
He sees the job as done. And two, French finances are rapidly falling apart. He cannot continue to spend as his father had on Italy. As for Naples, the Angevins will be around for awhile yet.

Seems like Italy is ready to slip away(outside of Naples given they're close allies with France) which honestly is not that bad for France, if they can keep the Italians from outright joining against them when another war with Habsburgs erupt, then already that will work perfectly for both parties as France doesn't worry about another front and the Italians don't get their lands ravished once again. The true prize for France after all is into the Burgudian Inheritance and the lands west of the Rhine, losing Italy is much more acceptable if they can get the more valuable and(more importantly, defensible) territory in the North.
Unfortunately, it's way too optimistic to assume the Italians won't fight back. France still has troops in Italy, albeit in reduced circumstances, and many in Italy have tired of the French bootheel. There's no doubt that there will be a second front. France's influence is already starting to diminish as well: their only allies are Naples (who they helped install upon the throne) and Parma (a tiny duchy). They may perhaps be able to seek Venice's assistance. Milan will no doubt seek to profit from any trouble against French, as Beatriz will urge her son to align with his Habsburg relatives, from which he might be well rewarded. France's financial situation also does not bode well: any sort of protracted conflict will only add further financial stress (though I should add that imperial finances are in bad shape too). For the first time in this TL, the French are not in a good position. Don't expect them to make any sweeping gains in this next conflict.

Out of interest what has Thomas Cromwell been up to? Asside from providing the opening quote he's never appeared which is a shame as he really is the most interesting figure of the Tudor court.

Based on his lack of mention he obviously hasn't made it into the higher ranks government - unsurprising considering Catherine's preference for the old aristocracy and the inability of Wolsey & Henry VIII to promote him - but at the time of the POD he was already working as a lawyer and agent for Christopher Bainbridge, Wolsey's OTL predecessor as Archbishop & Cardinal of York, and making his fortune as a cloth merchant and banker in London and the Low Countries.

It was his independent legal & bussiness careers in the period between 1513 & 1523 which led to him becoming an MP - most notably (and ironically for this timeline) arguing against war with France because of the risk that Henry VIII might be killed in battle - and then being employed in goverment by Wolsey from 1524.

With goverment closed to him I would imagine he would remain focused on his private bussiness as a lawyer, merchant and banker - and considering how successful he was IOTL and the improved Tudor-Habsburg relationship making bussiness between his main areas of operation easier, he likely still becomes ridiculously wealthy.

By 1553 he would have been sixty-eight. How high has the ultimate Tudor homo novus made it? Is he an MP? Has he bought himself into the minor gentry out in the countryside? Is he Lord Mayor of London, or the principal banker to the Queen?

Last edited:
That was to be expected. In many ways, the Treaty of Compiègne has proven a poisoned chalice for the French... François I will be spinning in his grave no doubt.
I shall go luck up what that treaty entailed, because I can't remember it at the moment.
For the first time in this TL, the French are not in a good position. Don't expect them to make any sweeping gains in this next conflict.
I take that as Artois and Franche-Comte won't be successfully taken give their situation. Or that they win that, but completely loose the italian lands?

Out of interest what has Thomas Cromwell been up to? Asside from providing the opening quote he's never appeared which is a shame as he really is the most interesting figure of the Tudor court.

Basef on his lack of mention he obviously hasn't made it into the higher ranks government - unsurprising considering Catherine's preference for the old aristocracy and the inability of Wolsey & Henry VIII to promote him - but at the time of the POD he was already working as a lawyer and agent for Christopher Bainbridge, Wolsey's OTL predecessor as Archbishop & Cardinal of York, and making his fortune as a cloth merchant and banker in London and the Low Countries.

It was his independent legal & bussiness careers in the period between 1513 & 1523 which led to him becoming an MP - most notably (and ironically for this timeline) arguing against war with France because of the risk that Henry VIII might be killed in battle - and then being employed in goverment by Wolsey from 1524.

With goverment closed to him I would imagine he would remain focused on his private bussiness as a lawyer, merchant and banker - and considering how successful he was IOTL and the improved Tudor-Habsburg relationship making bussiness between his main areas of operation easier, he likely still becomes ridiculously wealthy.

By 1553 he would have been sixty-eight. How high has the ultimate Tudor homo novus made it? Is he an MP? Has he bought himself into the minor gentry out in the countryside? Is he Lord Mayor of London, or the principal banker to the Queen?
That opening quote was mainly used in it's OTL context, as he allegedly uttered it about Catherine of Aragon. I thought it fitting given the direction that Catherine developed in IATL as England's regent and protector of her daughter's inheritance.

As for Cromwell IATL, well: you are correct in that he attained no high office in Anno.

When drafting this story, I had no interest in retreading through with well known characters and personalities at the Tudor court. I did not want it to be a situation where Mary succeeded her father and was surrounded by his old councilors / personalities, especially since many had frictions with Catherine. It was likely they would be sacked (especially the new men) like Henry VII, Catherine was more comfortable employing the nobility and high clergy.

I wanted other people to shine, hence Cromwell (and indeed, many of Henry VIII's councilors) not making an appearance or being shuttered to the side. Brandon is perhaps the exception, if only because I found his story intriguing: attaching his fortunes to Mary and the Habsburgs.

His early life was likely unchanged by the death of Henry VIII; he likely spent some period abroad and still served as an agent of Archbishop Bainbridge in Rome and was able to establish himself comfortably by 1520 within mercantile circles. He may have been elected MP at some point, but he was never tapped for any sort of services. Wolsey was retained for a period, but was always on the outlier of her council. Cromwell, given his associations on the continent, was likely intrigued by the growing reform movement.

He is likely deceased by 1553. He was perhaps elected to the commons, but of no great importance. He died in relative obscurity: well off and surrounded by his family.

I shall go luck up what that treaty entailed, because I can't remember it at the moment.
Charles V basically recognized French control of Italy: He agreed to enfeoff the Duke of Orléans as Duke of Milan + Lord of Genoa, Anne's son got Parma. It ended up a terrible situation, as Beatriz has basically held Milan for her son's regency and been able to pursue a pro-Habsburg policy.

I take that as Artois and Franche-Comte won't be successfully taken give their situation. Or that they win that, but completely loose the italian lands?
My lips are sealed, but you are in the right direction. 😉

Charles V basically recognized French control of Italy: He agreed to enfeoff the Duke of Orléans as Duke of Milan + Lord of Genoa, Anne's son got Parma. It ended up a terrible situation, as Beatriz has basically held Milan for her son's regency and been able to pursue a pro-Habsburg policy.
Hey, if Francis, Anne and the children hadn't hated Beatriz and treated her horrible in favour of Anne, then they might have avoided this!

That opening quote was mainly used in it's OTL context, as he allegedly uttered it about Catherine of Aragon. I thought it fitting given the direction that Catherine developed in IATL as England's regent and protector of her daughter's inheritance.

As for Cromwell IATL, well: you are correct in that he attained no high office in Anno.

When drafting this story, I had no interest in retreading through with well known characters and personalities at the Tudor court. I did not want it to be a situation where Mary succeeded her father and was surrounded by his old councilors / personalities, especially since many had frictions with Catherine. It was likely they would be sacked (especially the new men) like Henry VII, Catherine was more comfortable employing the nobility and high clergy.

I wanted other people to shine, hence Cromwell (and indeed, many of Henry VIII's councilors) not making an appearance or being shuttered to the side. Brandon is perhaps the exception, if only because I found his story intriguing: attaching his fortunes to Mary and the Habsburgs.

His early life was likely unchanged by the death of Henry VIII; he likely spent some period abroad and still served as an agent of Archbishop Bainbridge in Rome and was able to establish himself comfortably by 1520 within mercantile circles. He may have been elected MP at some point, but he was never tapped for any sort of services. Wolsey was retained for a period, but was always on the outlier of her council. Cromwell, given his associations on the continent, was likely intrigued by the growing reform movement.

He is likely deceased by 1553. He was perhaps elected to the commons, but of no great importance. He died in relative obscurity: well off and surrounded by his family.
That all makes sense, though is a bit of a shame - both from my perspective as a fan of Cromwell and from England's perspective, as with all those debts John has built up they really could have used someone with his financial skills.

That all makes sense, though is a bit of a shame - both from my perspective as a fan of Cromwell and from England's perspective, as with all those debts John has built up they really could have used someone with his financial skills.
That would have been cool to see him becoming some sort of financial advisor to Mary/John. But on the other side, we did get Thomas More as a trusted advisor!

Hey, if Francis, Anne and the children hadn't hated Beatriz and treated her horrible in favour of Anne, then they might have avoided this!
Agreed, it was a self inflicted wound. If they'd treated her better, it might've ended much differently. There's also the fact that Filippo Emanuele ended up Duke of Orléans at all. If young Louis (I believe...) hadn't been shredded by a cannonball, Filippo would've remained Philippe and likely ended up Duke of Anjou and remained in France. Though perhaps it is better he left, since lord knows what might've happened if he had.

I love the idea of person relationships / how people were treated having major impacts down the line. France will rue their treatment of Beatriz, that's for sure.

I am most sorry to disappoint. Though I do promise we see some interesting characters going forward into the 1550s/1560s who will deal with England's financial situation. And hey, with Thomas Cromwell living quietly, his son Gregory likely inherited his wealth and will do his own thing. Perhaps one of Cromwell's grandsons might pop up at a certain point...

That would have been cool to see him becoming some sort of financial advisor to Mary/John. But on the other side, we did get Thomas More as a trusted advisor!
It definitely would've been interesting! And I think possible, even without Wolsey. Cromwell was def an astute political actor. But I decided he'd take a break in this timeline so other's could shine. And yes, we did get Thomas More! The young queen was taught from his books, and he ultimately became Lord Chancellor (and kept his head).

Hey, beats being executed by Henry VIII after falling out of favor...

Good update, BTW--will say more after I get more in-depth...