About the North Africa/Maghreb discussion - @GTStinger, as @St. Just and @MK-ULTRAmontist pointed out, the reasons by which the Iberians voyaged across the Ocean were peculiar, and not necessarily can be replicated with whatever Islamic peoples remain in case North Africa becomes geopolitically "cut off" the rest of the Islamic world. I'm actually working with the premise that the Discoveries will be delayed for some time (well, we've had this discussion in TTL more than once), especially because the Europeans now would have a convenient passway to Southeast and Eastern Asia to care about going to the Atlantic.

The Maghrebi and Sahelian Muslim entities, once the Reconquista ends, and Egypt is in Crusader hands, will become increasingly isolated lose much of its relevance to the Islamic world, which will most likey move its axis towards the Indo-Persian and Central Asian spheres of influence. Oddly enough, we can also imagine that the loss of the Levant and northeastern Africa to the Christians, and of the Crescent to the Turkic sultanates might inspire a renaissance of sorts in Arabia proper, whole relevance declined after the Abbasid Caliphate established itself in Iraq.

@MK-ULTRAmontist and @jocay - the idea of the Maghrebi Muslims being the pioneers of the circumnavigation of Africa is very interesting, and gives an interesting perspective in an Africa that becomes even more Islamic-influenced than IOTL. Curiously enough, these Subsaharan peoples will be more influenced by Berber Islamism than Arabic Islamic properly, so I can see some more peculiar denominations arising among the Khoisan, for example, as it happened with the Tuaregs in the nascent days of the Almoravids and of the Almohads.

TBH I don't see how or why the Christians would block hajj pilgrims -- they know that crimes against their pilgrims led to the Crusades indirectly, and also will have to deal with Muslim neighbors and local Muslim populations.

Yeah, there might be some episodes of conflict, but, overall, the Latins won't have incentive, neither religious, nor economic, to prevent the Muslims going to Mecca. The Caliphates as a rule of thumb were very tolerant of Christian pilgrims coming to Jerusalem. In any case, I believe that the continued presence of a non-Islamic entity in the Levant, tolerant as it might be, will inspire Muslims to seek alternative routes.

I'm really confused why a number of posters have suddenly jumped on this "stronger Maghreb" bandwagon when the OP has openly stated that he's actually interested in a more successful Reconquista where the Christians get down into OTL Morocco.

My guess is that even though the 'pendulum theory' is lambasted wildly, it is still favoured by many people's subconcious, if not no other reason that the 'winning' side should have rivals and foes going forwards to keep the story interesting.

Yes, you worded it perfectly. In fact, as TVTropes commonly points out, tropes are tools, and even the "pendulum fallacy" can be well used in an alt-TL, if we see reasonable explanations to "If A loses Y, B wins X", we'll accept it in the realm of plausibility.

While I'm currently adopting the premise of a quicker and comprehensive Reconquista, compared to OTL, we can certainly think about possible scenarios that explain a surviving Granada or a Berber Caliphate. As I've stated many times before, the main focus is always the situation in the Levant, but we'll be delving time to time in these other regions.

@St. Just - Yes, you guessed correctly. Theodoric/Thierry will stay in the Levant. He's a fascinating character in his own right, and, being Flemish, he brings another layer of complexity in the relationship between the Norman x Occitan x Lorrainer debate. Also, I think it would be into his (historical) character to accept some offer to remain in the Orient, given the right conditions; he made the pilgrimage four times, after all.

Gregory is another interesting persona. IOTL, as Pope, he was very, very dynamic, and I wanted to emulate his character and personality in the microcosm of feudal x ecclesiastic politics of the Outremer. It might be viewed as a laboratory of sorts to understand Medieval society. Now, while I've given him a large role, you made a good point in that he might be taking bites too big for his mouth...

@Icedaemon - OTL Phillip, having died so young, is somewhat an obscure character. That's, in part, the reason why I picked him to play a role in the TL; being historical, but lesser known, I'll have free hands to depict him without being constrained by what might have been his personality and attitudes.

Also, Aquitaine's independence, even if by now has already been defined as a question I'll be working in the future, is still far away from a fait accompli by the time of the *Second Crusade. Of course, the French Crown at the time was politically very weak, but having a whole duchy break apart as an independent kingdom is still something that won't sit very well among the other European nations, at least not without some especific circumstances that might justify it.

Britanny is an interesting case, because it was less integrated to the French Crown than other duchies, but I don't suppose they would attain de jure independence without tweaking the circumstances (perhap Britanny is inherited by a foreign monarch in personal union, similar to Normandy vis-a-vis England).

@DanMcCollum - this one William III is actually OTL William Adelin, the (legitimate) son of King Henry I, the same one that died in the White Ship disaster, and would be the third with this name, after William the Conqueror and William "Rufus" (Henry's older brother, and thus William Adelin's paternal uncle). And Robert of Gloucester is Henry I's bastard son, indeed he's William III's brother.

And, as our friend St. Just, you are also taking the bits of detail and predicting the future... the alternate Kingdom of Aquitaine will be established sometime later with Papal legitimacy. It won't be exactly in the reign of (fictional) William XI, but certainly will be accomplished by the middle of the 13th Century.

@DanMcCollum - this one William III is actually OTL William Adelin, the (legitimate) son of King Henry I, the same one that died in the White Ship disaster, and would be the third with this name, after William the Conqueror and William "Rufus" (Henry's older brother, and thus William Adelin's paternal uncle). And Robert of Gloucester is Henry I's bastard son, indeed he's William III's brother.

And, as our friend St. Just, you are also taking the bits of detail and predicting the future... the alternate Kingdom of Aquitaine will be established sometime later with Papal legitimacy. It won't be exactly in the reign of (fictional) William XI, but certainly will be accomplished by the middle of the 13th Century.

Blood! Got my Henries and my Williams mixed up there for a second! Sorry about that.

Also: oh good - can't wait to see a Kingdom of Aquitaine develop. Might we see the continuation of Occitanian as a prestige language and it's survival I this timeline? If it becomes the national tongue of Aquitaine, it should be protected (of course, butterflies, and Universal Education and Nationalism are far far in the future of this TL)

Just like the Levant and Egypt had significant numbers of Christians after the Arabs came to town, I imagine there will still be a significant Islamic population in those areas after the crusades.

Curiosity here: Do Muslim usury laws apply to lending to non-muslims? It might be interesting to see Muslims become the moneylenders in Christian controlled Egypt.

Huh. No German host? Is there some reason to that?

That's a pretty glaring omission, isn't it? There are reasons, indeed, but I assure you that they are more related to narrative drama than logic.

Blood! Got my Henries and my Williams mixed up there for a second! Sorry about that. Also: oh good - can't wait to see a Kingdom of Aquitaine develop. Might we see the continuation of Occitanian as a prestige language and it's survival I this timeline? If it becomes the national tongue of Aquitaine, it should be protected (of course, butterflies, and Universal Education and Nationalism are far far in the future of this TL)

Yeah, its pretty easy to confuse our Williams, in an age where "William" is actually more common than "John", but no worries.

Indeed, this projected Kingdom of Aquitaine will be a very peculiar entity, one to which I certainly intend to develop in later installments. Their monarchs will make conscientious efforts to distinguish themselves of the French sociocultural sphere, and can expect a longer-lasting troubadour culture that evolves into a proto-Renaissance of sorts.

Navarra-Norway-Brittany, for MAXIMUM FISH

Even with the serious risk of this becoming a meme, I'm 98% sure I'll be MAKING IT HAPPEN in-story, just for the sake of this gag.

Just like the Levant and Egypt had significant numbers of Christians after the Arabs came to town, I imagine there will still be a significant Islamic population in those areas after the crusades. Curiosity here: Do Muslim usury laws apply to lending to non-muslims? It might be interesting to see Muslims become the moneylenders in Christian controlled Egypt.

Indeed, there will, and the idea of having the religiously "alien" Muslims as minorities inside Christian dominated territories will be a focus of contention for many centuries to come.

About usury laws, that's a good question, one to which I'm afraid I don't have the answer. I suppose the prohibition of the Qu'ran is pretty straightforward, but there is always a gray area where economic interests (with pun intended here) prevail. On the other hand, it is likely that Muslim minorities in Christian-dominated areas will likely devolve into a sort of inward fundamentalism (without the pejorative sense), because their own religious principles will be the distinctive measure in a multiconfessional stratified society, even if the Crusaders grow to the be fairly liberal. It is more a cultural deviation than properly a political demand.

You have said that Egypt will be conquered and Mesopotamia won't be conquered by Crusading armies but you haven't really said anything about N. Africa. Wouldn't the Italians and Iberian states want to continue Crusading there where they might take some land.

You have said that Egypt will be conquered and Mesopotamia won't be conquered by Crusading armies but you haven't really said anything about N. Africa. Wouldn't the Italians and Iberian states want to continue Crusading there where they might take some land.

I do believe that a Crusader presence in North Africa has been hinted at. Certainly, Roger II of Sicily created an African state in OTL. If he has more prestige and Papal support follow a successful Second Crusade, I would imagine he would make some efforts to grab Tunis - it has a lot of economic connections to Sicily after all.

It would be kinda cool if Norman Africa is longer lasting in this ATL.

jocay

Banned
I do believe that a Crusader presence in North Africa has been hinted at. Certainly, Roger II of Sicily created an African state in OTL. If he has more prestige and Papal support follow a successful Second Crusade, I would imagine he would make some efforts to grab Tunis - it has a lot of economic connections to Sicily after all.

It would be kinda cool if Norman Africa is longer lasting in this ATL.

Aye. Might be able to save African Romance from decline and eventual extinction.

Yes, you worded it perfectly. In fact, as TVTropes commonly points out, tropes are tools, and even the "pendulum fallacy" can be well used in an alt-TL, if we see reasonable explanations to "If A loses Y, B wins X", we'll accept it in the realm of plausibility.

While I'm currently adopting the premise of a quicker and comprehensive Reconquista, compared to OTL, we can certainly think about possible scenarios that explain a surviving Granada or a Berber Caliphate. As I've stated many times before, the main focus is always the situation in the Levant, but we'll be delving time to time in these other regions.
Long live Norman Africa! :cool:

Also, Aquitaine's independence, even if by now has already been defined as a question I'll be working in the future, is still far away from a fait accompli by the time of the *Second Crusade. Of course, the French Crown at the time was politically very weak, but having a whole duchy break apart as an independent kingdom is still something that won't sit very well among the other European nations, at least not without some especific circumstances that might justify it.

[...]

Indeed, this projected Kingdom of Aquitaine will be a very peculiar entity, one to which I certainly intend to develop in later installments. Their monarchs will make conscientious efforts to distinguish themselves of the French sociocultural sphere, and can expect a longer-lasting troubadour culture that evolves into a proto-Renaissance of sorts.
Well, so we're heading for this TL version of the Hundred Years War.
As I did say in an earlier post, there was this OTL almost century long succession war over Toulouse waged by both Aquitaine and Toulouse lords through the 12th century.
So I guess the French kings will step in Toulouse's favor to keep access to the Mediterranean sea.

Also, hurrah for the appearance of Montpellier (well, as it will certainly play a role in this TL HYR, I can legitimately refer to it now :biggrin:).
I hope the ruling family won't get extinct ITTL going into 13rd century. The local lords had made a major trade and culture center, a cosmopolitan city renowned by Jewish and Arab scholars from abroad (I think Benjamin if Tudela right here to begin with), and before the Black Death, the largest city of the French kingdom after Paris.
Sorry if I do too much, but I love the history of that birthplace of mine.

These groups reunited already in Macedonia, near Thessalonica, having communicated in advance with the court of Constantinople, whose Emperor had not only furnished a significant logistical apparatus, but also vowed to join them in the Crusade.

Very interesting to see what will happen with full Roman-Crusader cooperation, a much more secure route route to the Levant and a focused, systematic campaigner in John II rather than bipolar Manuel I.

IIRC the Crusader state recognises John as it’s nominal suzerain, will he be able to steer some crusading resources towards finishing off the Turks? Or will it be more difficult with Kingly contingents this time?

That could perhaps depend on which kings want to do a favour to the emperor, on the basis of the emperor perhaps reciprocating in some manner?

Not sure how the Papacy would react to a Catholic state acknowledging itself as a vassal to an Orthodox overlord, even in name only.

@TheHandsomeBrute - North Africa has been often discussed by various posters in this thread, but, indeed, I figured that I haven't really mentioned it in some detail in the TL itself. As @DanMcCollum put it very correctly, I believe that a more successful Crusader State in the Orient, will inspire more Crusading movements in North Africa, most notably Tunisia, which is only a few steps across the sea beyond Sicily. An alternate more successful Norman Africa will most certainly become a reality, one to which I intend to devote some details, even if remains mostly peripheral in the grand scheme of things.

@jocay - African Romance might survive indeed, but it will remain a mostly minority language, with the whatever language the Siculo-Normans spoke becoming a prestige elite language. I doubt, however, that it will destroy the Arabic influence, as it by the 12th Century has already left profound cultural marks in the region.

@galileo-034 - glad I could give a worthy mention to your birthplace, my friend :) You can be sure that "Occitania" as a whole will have a large role to play in this TL. It fascinates me as the birthplace of the troubadour and chivalric culture in western Europe - perhaps it better incorporates the ideology of the Medieval worldview than many other more famous cultures, such as the Anglo-Norman or the French ones. Also, I figure that having Europe relatively balkanized in medium-sized and strong states gives us an useful recipe to justify the continuation of the Crusading trends through the following centuries, even more than OTL.

BTW, would you have more sources describing local culture and demographics in Montpellier? Anything that gives a picture about its situation in the pre-Black Death era would be very useful.

@ImperatorAlexander - indeed, that was from the beginning one of the most fundamental points of this TL: the conclusion of a genuine alliance between the Latins and the Greeks in dedication to the Crusades. I believe this gave us a more plausible picture to explain how an alt-KOJ might survive through the course of these centuries.

Also, you'll see that the Byzantines will do exactly as you said, that is "hijack" the Crusade to fit their own interests. It won't happen often, but it will.

@Some Bloke - that's a very complex question. As a rule of thumb, I believe that some Popes didn't really find it too concerning; after all, it was a time in which the Papacy saw itself above all the crowned heads of Europe, including the HRE Emperor, and the establishment of oaths was viewed simply as a "layman pact" defining feudal relationship, one that did not impact in the ecclesiastic relationship. It worked like this: a knight owed allegiance to the count, and this one to the duke, but all of them owed reverence to the bishop and even to the abbot as much as they did as they did to the Pope. In practical terms, of course, there was a lot of promiscuity and intermingling between these two spheres, the feudal and the ecclesiastic ones, but, from a legal or institutional point of view, they were distinct social structures. So, a Pope such as Urban II would have no real concern about a Catholic duke proclaiming his loyalty to the Byzantine Emperor, because it was seen more like a military allegiance that properly an institutional one (according to his point of view, that is. It is not necessarily how the nobleman himself would regard this sort of arrangement). But the Pope might be concerned, for example, if one Catholic duke proclaims to support the Orthodox Patriarch.

And there is one interesting detail that we cannot forget: in the post-Investiture Controversy era, the more geopolitically minded Popes were ever concerned with amending the Great Schism, and obtaining a concession on the part of the Byzantine Emperors of recognizing the Papal primacy. In this context, I believe some Popes such as Urban II, seeing Alexios basically imploring for help of the western European nations (according to the latter's perception, that is...), would actually be enthusiastic about the fact that Catholic lords were becoming more integrated to the Byzantine sociocultural sphere, as they would be seeing it as a "two-way venue", opening the path for a future recognition, by Constantinople, of Papal suzerainty, considering that the Pope would be the ultimate suzerain over the Crusaders.

@UnaiB - I have a lot of stuff to write about the HRE as a whole. In fact, I'm trying to put it in next chapter to explain, for the time being, their absence from the alt-Second Crusade.

You where I could imagine less crusades? The Baltic. The Teutonic Order won't get shrekt out of the Holy Land, there will be a lot of better Muslim targets with real tax base and/or religious significance. Ortho Balts would be a nice counterweight to all the Catholicism, and Lithuania as the big bad pagan holdout is always fun too

How are the Crusaders handling their new subjects?
They can't depend on pilgrim soldiers and their Rhomanoi allies forever and will probably need to recruit locally sooner or later.
Perhaps adopting local equipment and troop types like composite bows and horse archers.

jocay

Banned
They can't depend on pilgrim soldiers and their Rhomanoi allies forever and will probably need to recruit locally sooner or later.
Perhaps adopting local equipment and troop types like composite bows and horse archers.

For horse archers, you already have the Turcopoles. Historically, the Crusaders used the Maronites as archers and garrison.

Last edited:
I remember some early updates that mentioned the Crusaders recruiting local Christians to help replenish their ranks.