An MLB Collaborative TL: Piece of Cake: The Cubs win Game 6 in '03

The Chicago Bears have traded the 4th overall pick of the 2005 NFL Draft to the Denver Broncos and with the 4th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Denver Broncos select Aaron Rodgers Quarterback Cal.”
Congrats Denver, you've unfucked yourself in the short to middle term, and the best thing, the bears could land an offensive or defensive stuff cheaper

Picks 5-6-7
Chris Berman: The Buccaneers are on the clock now as I know they have Chris Sims and now Drew Bledsoe but I don’t think it would hurt them they get someone that can develop around them or a running back here

Mel Kiper Jr: Well I think Rodgers could have very well gone off the board here if it the Broncos different trade put but they might have to wait on a quarterback though this is might where we see our first defender off the board but if not expect maybe Troy Williamson or Braylon Edwards off the board

*With the 6th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Braylon Edwards Wide Receiver Michigan”

Chris Berman: It’s gonna be Braylon Edwards that will join free agent signing Ike Hilliard as the 2 new receivers in Tampa Bay as the 2nd wide receiver in the Top 5 goes here

Mel Kiper Jr: I thought for the past 2 seasons this guy was the best player in all of the Big 10 and he really had a good chance of being the receiver off the board but either way Edwards is gonna be a bright spot for the Buccaneers future no matter who the quarterback is

*Later on*

Chris Berman: The Saints are marching in as they are on the clock now
They have a new head coach at the helm with Brad Childress and they have plenty of needs on both sides of the ball

Chris Morterson: The Saints seem to be find with Aaron Brooks so far at quarterback so really I see best player available in this situation as Mel we looked at our best players available are
Cedric Benson
Alex Smith
Carlos Rogers
Derrick Johnson
A.J Hawk
Jason White
Antrel Rolle
Adam Jones

Mel Kiper Jr: The Saints want to get back into contending territory in the NFC South so yes I would go BPA
*Later on*

“With the 6th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the New Orleans Saints select Troy Williamson Wide Receiver South Carolina.”

Chris Berman: Well this has to be the first curveball of the draft right? Troy Williamson becomes the 2nd straight wide receiver taken and the 3rd wide receiver taken in the Top 10

Mel Kiper Jr: Well Boom Joe Horn is 35 and has his contract year heading soon and they lost Michael Lewis so they needed a wide receiver upgrade like this

Williamson has been a late riser in the past month or so and it leads to him being a top 10 pick

*Later on*

Chris Berman: So the Redskins who saw solid play from last year’s 2nd round pick JP Losman are on the clock now and this is another BPA spot

Mel Kiper Jr: Well we have still yet to see the first defensive player taken on the board and this could very well be there this happens

*Later on*

“With the 7th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Washington Redskins select DeMarcus Ware End Troy State”

Chris Berman: So the first defensive player off the board is DeMarcus Ware from a college that just recently became a Division I school Troy State

Mel Kiper Jr. I’m honestly surprised it’s DeMarcus Ware is the first defensive player taken and while I don’t think this is a bad pick at all it’s just very surprised given who else is on the board but there is lot to lick about Ware and his rise from small school star to Top 10 NFL Draft pick

(2005 NFL Draft 1st round results so far)
  1. Lions-Cadillac Williams RB Auburn
  2. Cardinals-Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
  3. 49ers-Mike Williams WR USC
  4. Broncos (From Bears)-Aaron Rodgers QB Cal
  5. Buccaneers-Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
  6. Saints-Troy Williamson WR South Carolina
  7. Redskins-DeMarcus Ware DE Troy State
  8. Bears (From Broncos)
  9. Bills
  10. Texans
  11. Chiefs
  12. Panthers
  13. Cowboys
  14. Giants
  15. Jaguars
  16. Browns
  17. Ravens
  18. Steelers
  19. Lions (From Jets)
  20. Chargers
  21. Rams
  22. Seahawks
  23. Chargers (From Patriots)
  24. Titans
  25. Packers
  26. Dolphins
  27. Falcons
  28. Colts
  29. Bengals
  30. Vikings
  31. Eagles
  32. Raiders

Picks 8-9-10
“With the 8th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Chicago Bears select Antrel Rolle Cornerback Miami.”

Chris Berman: So the Bears trade back and get someone who they had their eye on in Antrel Rolle the first defensive back taken in this draft!

Mel Kiper Jr: And there is a good reason he is the first cornerback taken you watch the Virginia Tech game he was all over the place and the same with the Oklahoma Sugar Bowl game he was the heart and soul of the Miami defense in 2004 and he’s is gonna be the cornerback they need in Chicago if they wanna contend again

*Later on*

Chris Berman: It’s team nobody circles around that’s right it’s the Buffalo Bills! They traded for Chad Pennington and hope he is the future there but that are in need of more star power

Chris Morterson: I think this is another case of best player available of need it’s clear they want to build around Chad Pennington but how do you do to achieve that?

Torry Holt: But I know is if that the phones are gonna start ringing to trade up if the Bills don’t go BPA and instead of need as they will get anxious for one of this quarterbacks

*Later on*

“With the 9th pick in the 2005 NFL Draft the Buffalo Bills select Jammal Brown Offensive Tackle Oklahoma”

Chris Berman: So the Bills go need and double down on their need to build with Chad Pennington as they take the first offensive tackle in the draft

Mel Kiper Jr: Brown was my top offensive tackle in this draft and if you watched the Bills last season you would know that it was the league worst so no matter who your quarterback is you have to have a above average line to help him.

This was another guy who shined in the Sugar Bowl game

*Later on*

Chris Berman: At pick 10 it’s the newest team in the league the Texans

Chris Morterson: Actually we got a trade and the Lions have moved all the way up from pick 19 to 10! Obviously this has to be for a quarterback

Chris Berman: Well let’s see who it is for

“The Houston Texans have traded the 10th overall choice to the Detroit Lions and with the 10th overall choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Detroit Lions select Jason White quarterback Oklahoma.”

*The camera zooms to Jason White’s draft party as cheers roar as his name is heard as he puts on a Lions hat.”

Chris Berman: Jason White is such a fantastic story and really the biggest underdog story we had heard in recent NFL draft history
He injured his leg after the 2002 season and people wondered if he would ever play football again and then in his junior and senior year in 2003 and 2004 he goes out and starts to break every NCAA and Big 12 passing record in the book and even then it took a fantastic showing at the Senior Bowl and at the combine to put him in 1st round consideration several NFL team representatives said that they had none seen such a man who wanted to be a leader and champion as him but be so humble about it

Mel Kiper Jr: Yeah but only several teams had him as a 1st rounder and one of those was the Detroit Lions and Norm Chow. People around him said that he could be the one to fix him and shape him up to be a NFL quarterback
There still were concerns given White will be 24 in June and his leg will it still prevent him from showing mobility and while it’s still in the work the signs showing mobility are there

Chris Berman: White lost 2 close Heisman votes in 2003 and 2004 and now he will be teammates with the guy he was the runner up to in that voting Cadillac Williams

Chris Morterson: It will be interesting to see what he does with the Lions in his professional career

*Later on*

So here is the trade breakdown of the Lions Texans trade

Lions get
10th overall pick Jason White
2006 5th rounder
2005 6th rounder

Texans get
19th overall pick
Both of the Lions 2005 2nd rounders
2006 2nd rounder
2005 7th rounder

(2005 NFL Draft 1st Round so far)
  8. Bears (From Broncos)-Antrel Rolle CB Miami (FL)
  9. Bills Jammal Brown-OT Oklahoma
  10. Lions (From Texans)-Jason White QB Oklahoma
  11. Chiefs
  12. Panthers
  13. Cowboys
  14. Giants
  15. Jaguars
  16. Browns
  17. Ravens
  18. Steelers
  19. Texans (From Lions)
  20. Chargers
  21. Rams
  22. Seahawks
  24. Titans
  25. Packers
  26. Dolphins
  27. Falcons
  28. Colts
  29. Bengals
  30. Vikings
  31. Eagles
  32. Raiders

Last edited:
Lions get
10th overall pick Jason White
2006 5th rounder
2005 6th rounder

Texans get
19th overall pick
Both of the Lions 2005 3rd rounders
2005 3rd rounders
2005 7th rounder

Lions (From Texans)-Jason White QB Oklahoma
IMG_1976.jpeg

Chiefs, Panthers, Cowboys pick, Alex Smith slide
Trey Wingo: Alright thanks Berman,Morterson Mel and Torry im here with Ron Jaworski,Merlin Hodge and Randy Muller here in the NFL Live set so as the Top 10 ends we see 2 quarterbacks go in the top 10 and both are traded up with the Broncos traded up for Aaron Rodgers and the Lions trading up for Jason White

Merlin Hodge: First off what a massive good job by Denver to trade up who for Aaron Rodgers! He’s gonna be a franchise changer and I think he will be the face of the franchise for a long time

Randy Muller: How is Alex Smith still not the board and why does Jason White go ahead of him?

No offense to Jason what so ever it’s a nice story and all but I guess the issues of Alex Smith are leaving him still not picked the issue of his way of play also the debate of him being able to start right away which isn’t a issue with Rodgers and White
I would love to see Alex Smith fall to Dallas at 13 though

But hopefully by pick 20 Smith is off the board

Ron Jaworski: Kinda off topic but Cedric Benson isn’t off the board yet nor Carlos Rogers? That is shocking to me! That said I do think Benson should fall to Carolina or the Chiefs and have Benson be the replacement for Priest Holmes eventually

Randy Muller: Jason Campbell?

Ron Jaworski: He’s got the same complains I have heard with Jason Campbell but I think both will be good projects for the future

Trey Wingo: Well back to you guys take it away Chris

Chris Berman: Alright we have the Chiefs on the clock they went from playoff team to below 500 after a injury to Trent Green

Mel Kiper Jr: I think you gotta go BPA here still some of the top 15 players overall on my big board and I do think that the Chiefs can upgrade that defense

*Later on*

“With the 11th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Kansas City Chiefs select Alex Barron Offensive Tackle Florida State”

Chris Berman: So the 2nd offensive tackle off the board is Alex Barron from Florida State as the Chiefs go need over best player available

Mel Kiper Jr: Well Boomer Willie Roaf just turned 35 and Will Shields is gonna be 33 soon so they go ahead and get someone that can replace them for Trent Green and eventually their new signal caller a few years from now

*Later on*

Chris Berman: So it’s the Panthers on the clock now and they shocked people by taking Craig Krenzel last season and despite a hit and miss rookie season they are wanting to build around him

Chris Morterson: They were in the NFC South title race for awhile as they went and tried to capitalize on that in the trade deadline getting Larry Allen but it seems like he will be returning to Carolina in 2005.

Torry Holt: I just wish the best for my good friend Steve Smith up there and I think he is one of the most underappreciated receivers in the league on

*Later on*

“With the 12th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Carolina Panthers select Cedric Benson running back Texas”

Chris Berman: So the Panthers decided to hopefully fix their long term running back problems and Cedric Benson falls to them at pick 12

Mel Kiper Jr: I think this is a great value for Carolina here you got a guy who very well could have been a top 5 pick if it wasn’t for some knee problems scouts and team representatives were talking about but he’s a guy who you can plug and play right away

*Later on*

Chris Berman: The Dallas Cowboys are on the clock and this is a team that really should be a contender now I mean they got the defense they just need some more offensive depth

Mel Kiper Jr: This is also another possible place for a offensive tackle to get someone to replace Larry Allen or there’s a hole on the defensive end spot or if they really wanna do it they can find their future signal caller here

*Later on*

“With the 13th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Dallas Cowboys select Travis Johnson defensive tackle Florida State”

Chris Berman: So Mel Kiper’s best defensive tackle in the draft Travis Johnson goes to the Dallas Cowboys at 13

Mel Kiper: Yes he was boomer it was all about his size and the way he can play defensive end at times. He was a key player early on last College season when they took on Miami and they upset them in overtime

Couple corners, receiver, and A.J Hawk
“With the 14th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the New York Giants select Carlos Rogers cornerback Auburn.”

Chris Berman: So the 3rd Auburn player Carlos Rogers goes to the Giants as you top 10 best available period in the draft starts to get short and shorter

Mel Kiper Jr: For my money he was the best defensive player in college football last year and the Giants get so far the steal of the 1st round right here

*Later on*

“With the 15th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Jacksonville Jaguars select Adam Jones cornerback West Virginia.”

Chris Berman: Jacksonville gets the 3rd best cornerback in the draft according to Mel Kiper Jr

Mel Kiper Jr: Well Boomer Jones very well could have been a Top 10 or even a top 5 pick if it wasn’t for reported character issues but now 2 of the best cornerbacks in the draft are finally off the board

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Well let’s see what the Browns do

“With the 16th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Cleveland Browns select Mark Clayton Wide Receiver .”

Chris Berman: So the Browns end up giving Phillip Rivers some receiver help and it’s Mark Clayton

Mel Kiper Jr: Wide Receiver 4 on my board it seemed liked he was breaking Sooners for the records left and right these past 2 seasons
Rivers had a excellent rookie season despite the receivers he had and he should be glad he could have a true number 1 receiver now

*Later on*

Chris Morterson: Well we got another trade here it’s the Bengals on the clock as they trade up with their divisional rivals

Chris Berman: All the way from pick 29 to 17 and I guess it’s for someone that really want

Mel Kiper Jr: Let me just say I am surprised that Derrick Johnson,Shawn Meriman and A.J Hawk are still on the board and if the Bengals trade for any of these guys that could be the reason

*Later on*

“The Baltimore Ravens have traded the 17th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft to the Cincinnati Bengals and with the 17th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Cincinnati Bengals select A.J Hawk linebacker Ohio State”

Chris Berman: So A.J Hawk who caused sort of a shock when he declared early is gonna stay in the backyard for his professional career

Mel Kiper Jr: And I totally understand why Boom
Hawk had a monster 2003/2004 Sugar Bowl where he was called the unofficial Co Defensive MVP of that game and then a monster 2004 season especially after that disappointing start and then he really kicked it into high gear and then would go on to be the Big 10 Defensive player of the year and the 2004/2005 Rose Bowl Defensive MVP
Despite that run the Bengals holds in defense were showing and I am glad that they trade up to deal with that problem

Chris Morterson: Ok so here are the details of this trade
Bengals get 17th overall pick-AJ Hawk
2006 7th Rounder
2005 6th Rounder

Ravens get
29th Overall Pick
2005 2nd Rounder
2006 2nd Rounder
Linebacker Kevin Hardy

(2005 1st Round results so far)

8. Bears (From Broncos)-Antrel Rolle CB Miami (FL)
  9. Bills Jammal Brown-OT Oklahoma
  10. Lions (From Texans)-Jason White QB Oklahoma
  11. Chiefs-Alex Baron OT Florida
  12. Panthers-Cedric Benson RB Texas
  13. Cowboys-Travis Johnson DT Florida State
  14. Giants-Carlos Rogers CB Auburn
  15. Jaguars-Adam Jones CB West Virginia
  16. Browns-Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
  17. Bengals (From Ravens)-A.J Hawk LB Ohio State
  18. Steelers
  19. Texans (From Lions)
  20. Chargers
  21. Rams
  22. Seahawks
  24. Titans
  25. Packers
  26. Dolphins
  27. Falcons
  28. Colts
  29. Ravens (From Bengals)
  30. Vikings
  31. Eagles
  32. Raiders

Last edited:
College Football division shift, Bills rebrand
April 23rd, 2005: ESPN reveals that Florida International, whose is currently a Division 1-AA independent, has plans to move up to Division 1 in CFB. Later that day, ESPN also reveals the intentions of Western Kentucky to move up to division 1 in CFB.

April 25th, 2005: Controversy arises from the NFL today, but not because of the draft. No, the source of the controversy lies on the Buffalo Bills, or rather, their logo. Just hours ago, the Bills announced that they were changing their long standing logo. The reason for the change was sighted as a "fresh, colorful" retake of a logo that is dire need of one. During the reveal, they showcased a concept of what the final logo would probably look like.

Below is what the concept looked like. The concept is subject to change, of course.

BuffaloBillsNewLogo.gif

April 23rd, 2005: ESPN reveals that Florida International, whose is currently a Division 1-AA independent, has plans to move up to Division 1 in CFB. Later that day, ESPN also reveals the intentions of Western Kentucky to move up to division 1 in CFB.

April 25th, 2005: Controversy arises from the NFL today, but not because of the draft. No, the source of the controversy lies on the Buffalo Bills, or rather, their logo. Just hours ago, the Bills announced that they were changing their long standing logo. The reason for the change was sighted as a "fresh, colorful" retake of a logo that is dire need of one. During the reveal, they showcased a concept of what the final logo would probably look like.

Below is what the concept looked like. The concept is subject to change, of course.

View attachment 863418
Also will they bring back the AFL style uniforms?