An MLB Collaborative TL: Piece of Cake: The Cubs win Game 6 in '03

2005 first overall pick
*ESPN’s COVERAGE OF THE 2005 NFL DRAFT ON APRIL 23RD 2005*

Chris Berman: Welcome everyone we are live here in the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center on this near Saturday afternoon as we get ready for the 2005 NFL Draft the wait is long over and we about to get this thing going! I’m Chris Berman along side the one and only Mel Kiper Jr and Chris Mortensen plus a special guest joining us for today I am talking about All Pro wide receiver St Louis Rams Tory Holt.

Torry Holt: Good to be here with you guys!

*Later on*

Chris Berman: So in a few moments from now we will have the commissioner Paul Tagliabue come out and kick off this whole thing but the question remains now who will be the number 1 pick? Will it be Cadillac Williams *The camera zooms to him waiting in the green room* or will it be his teammate Ronnie Brown? *The camera zooms to him* Will it be Cal quarterback and frequent rival of Lions chow Norm Chow Aaron Rodgers *Camera zooms to him in the green room* or will it be a receiver like Braylon Edwards from Michigan or Mike Williams from USC *The camera zooms to both of them in the green room* or will it be Oklahoma quarterback Jason White who is not here in New York but back at home *The camera shows Jason White at a draft party at his home in Oklahoma with his family and friends*

Oh well I think we will get that answer soon but for now let’s go to the commissioner who is about to take the stage for the first time to open this thing up!

*Commissioner Paul Tagliabue walks up to the podium*

“Good afternoon football fans here and across the world welcome to the Jacob K.Jatvis Convention Center in New York City for the 2005 NFL Draft! The 1st selection belongs to the Detroit Lions who are now on the clock

Chris Berman: So the Detroit Lions are officially on the clock and this time for that moment of truth and I believe we can go to ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio in Detroit as he say something for us

Sal Paolantonio: Yeah Chris I am here outside the war room of the Detroit Lions and we believe that they are set to make Carnell “Cadliac” Williams the first overall pick in this NFL draft as expected

The team were close to making Aaron Rodgers or Mike Williams the number 1 pick but it’s looking for the first time in a decade a running back will go number 1 overall and Williams will be the first Auburn player to go number 1 since of course Bo Jackson

*Later on*

Chris Berman: Well here comes the Lions with the first overall pick and make this officially

“With the first choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Detroit Lions select Cadillac Williams running back Auburn.”

*The camera zooms to Williams hugging his agent and parents while putting on a Detroit Lions hat*

Chris Berman: So the Lions are gonna get themselves a Cadillac after all as the most hyped running back prospect since Ricky Williams as you can take it away Mel!

Mel Kiper: Well there is a reason why he was my number 1 overall player and now he will be the perfect successor to Barry Sanders! Now I believe they should get a quarterback in this round and I think this will be a perfect start for this new era in Detroit

2005 NFL Draft, 2nd pick
*Later on*

Chris Berman: So the Cardinals are now on the clock and the surprise of the season was Troy Akiman finally getting his comebacks wish and with Dan Reeves returning to coaching but even with that though do they still take someone like Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers or Derek Anderson or even Jason Campbell

Mel Kiper Jr: This is a tough decision now for the Cardinals but you had Emmit Smith retire this past offseason and I don’t think it’s out of the question here if they go with a running back here

I mean they are set at WR and I believe they can be contenders for the NFC West if they get a franchise running back like Cedric Benson or Ronnie Brown and I think you have a team on paper that looks like divisional contenders

*Later on*
“With the 2nd choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select Ronnie Brown running back Auburn.”

Chris Berman: Haha so both the Auburn teammates and running backs are indeed so 1st and 2nd overall picks of this draft plus and the first time since 1977 when we had 2 running backs be the 1st 2 picks of the NFL Draft remember the Buccaneers took Ricky Bell number 1 overall and then at number 2 it was the Cowboys taking the future Hall of Famer Tony Dorsett.

Mel Kiper Jr: I am shocked but glad to see Ronnie Brown go this high but then again Brown and Williams were being called the greatest backfield in college football history as everything Cadliac did well Brown did just as good! I will go far to say that while Williams 2004 was obviously better Brown might have had the better 2003 season!

However don’t mean to compare the 2 but it’s gonna be hard to be a in the role as the successor to Emmitt Smith in Arizona but I don’t think he is trying to but I am excited to see what Ronnie Brown does in Arizona

In OTL Cadliac and Brown looked like they had very much potential in the pros when healthy
Still picking RB too high is a waste of picks, I'm wondering if people genuinely believe that(Cadillac did but brown was an enigma,) still this feel ASB

3rd pick in ‘05 NFL Draft
Chris Berman: So the 49ers are on the clock now they have defensive mind Monte Kiffin as their head coach now but they really need help on all sides of the ball

Mel Kiper Jr: Well I know they traded for Jake Plummer but he is someone who you can have a solid season or 2 with as you develop the quarterback if you at least take one right here

However I wouldn’t be surprised if they are just waiting for Leinart next draft and they end up getting someone who can prepare for them. You got Mike Williams from USC my best available player on the board or Braylon Edwards from Michigan for wide receivers. Also there is Cedric Benson from Texas if we really are going to see 3 running backs taken in a row but I don’t think that is the case

“With the 3rd choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the San Francisco 49ers select Mike Williams wide receiver USC.”

Chris Berman: So Mel your top ranked wide receiver and your 2nd best player on your board goes to San Francisco at pick 3 and he doesn’t have to go very far for his NFL career

Mel Kiper Jr: Let me just say that even if Mike Williams skipped the 2004 season like he played to do I would still have him where I did. He has been the best wide receiver in college football the past 3 seasons and the 49ers probably are getting their best wide receiver post Terrell Owens.

He is going to be a favorite target for whoever the 49ers quarterback is for years to come

(2005 NFL Draft 1st round result so far)
  1. Lions-Cadillac Williams RB Auburn
  2. Cardinals-Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
  3. 49ers-Mike Williams WR USC
  4. Bears
  5. Buccaneers
  6. Saints
  7. Redskins
  8. Broncos
  9. Bills
  10. Texans
  11. Chiefs
  12. Panthers
  13. Cowboys
  14. Giants
  15. Jaguars
  16. Browns
  17. Ravens
  18. Steelers
  19. Lions (From Jets)
  20. Chargers
  21. Rams
  22. Seahawks
  23. Chargers (From Patriots)
  24. Titans
  25. Packers
  26. Dolphins
  27. Falcons
  28. Colts
  29. Bengals
  30. Vikings
  31. Eagles
  32. Raiders

2004/05 UCL Semifinals
UEFA Champions League 2004-05 - Semifinals

Leg 1 - April 26/27 2005

PSV Eindhoven 2-0 Marseille
Arsenal 1-0 Porto

Leg 2 - May 3/4 2005

Porto 0-0 Arsenal (0-1 Agg)
Marseille 1-1 PSV Eindhoven (1-2 Agg)

And with that, one of the most shocking UEFA Champions League campaigns of all time has its final set - Arsenal will face PSV Eindhoven at the Ataturk Stadium, Istanbul!

Frank Gore on Da Bears would be sick

That said, taking Pac-Man or DeMarcus Ware or Carlos Rogers to a defense that already has Urlacher and Briggs would be absolutely lethal and the direction id probably go

A-Rod off the board
Chris Morterson: I think it’s possible the Bears throw the first curveball of the draft here they have some-Wait there is a trade now and it’s…..The Broncos they are on the clock now!

Torry Holt: This has to be for a quarterback right?

Chris Berman: I would believe so but for who? Denver remember traded away Jake Plummer to the 49ers the team who just picked but it’s either really Rodgers,Smith,Campbell or White you never know it’s been a toss up and debate for who the first quarterback of those draft class would be taken be.

*Later on*

“The Chicago Bears have traded the 4th overall pick of the 2005 NFL Draft to the Denver Broncos and with the 4th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Denver Broncos select Aaron Rodgers Quarterback Cal.”

Chris Berman: So its Aaron Rodgers the gunslinger from Cal is the first quarterback taken off the board in this draft at pick number 4.

Rodgers gave USC one of their 2 losses in the last 2 years back in Cal-Berkeley and pretty much was the not just the best quarterback in the PAC 10 not named Matt Leinart last season but the best quarterback in the college season not named Matt Leinart

Mel Kiper Jr: That’s right Chris I think this is a good for Rodgers as Denver has not shown anything worth a franchise quarterback since Elway retired but that might now change with Rodgers there now. He was my top quarterback for this draft and now he is the top quarterback selected in this draft. It will be interesting to see what Mike Shanahan does with him.

*Later on*

Chris Morterson: Alright here is the trade details for what just happened

Denver gets the
4th overall pick which became Aaron Rodgers
A 2005 3rd rounder

Chicago gets the
8th Overall Pick
2005 4th Rounder
2006 2nd Rounder

(2005 NFL Draft 1st round results so far)
  1. Lions-Cadillac Williams RB Auburn
  2. Cardinals-Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
  3. 49ers-Mike Williams WR USC
  4. Broncos (From Bears)-Aaron Rodgers QB Cal
  5. Buccaneers
  6. Saints
  7. Redskins
  8. Bears (From Broncos)
  9. Bills
  10. Texans
  11. Chiefs
  12. Panthers
  13. Cowboys
  14. Giants
  15. Jaguars
  16. Browns
  17. Ravens
  18. Steelers
  19. Lions (From Jets)
  20. Chargers
  21. Rams
  22. Seahawks
  23. Chargers (From Patriots)
  24. Titans
  25. Packers
  26. Dolphins
  27. Falcons
  28. Colts
  29. Bengals
  30. Vikings
  31. Eagles
  32. Raiders

Last edited:
Mel Kiper Jr: That’s right Chris I think this is a good for Rodgers as Denver has not shown anything worth a franchise quarterback since Elway retired but that might now change with Rodgers there now. He was my top quarterback for this draft and now he is the top quarterback selected in this draft. It will be interesting to see what Mike Shanahan does with him.
Thank you!!!!