An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Long term I can see Rome trying to take and integrate the Mosul area. With that firmly in Roman hands the Roman heartland and Levant are secure while the heart of Ottoman power is now on the frontier.

It would be tough to take and it would require population “transfers” to put it mildly to hold onto but it would effectively neuter the Eastern threat for good.

Call the Arletian slave merchants and tell them you have more "product" for them to sell off.

Wait so the Romans are basically going on a death march against it Muslim populations at home becasue of the constant rebellions and massive losses life, money, soldiers, etc. So due to the fact that just wiping out the entire population is costly and would prob have a physiological impact on them as well. Prob cost some money as well. Why not move these pop to the Ottoman empire destabilize it a bit and foreign populations and stuff concentrate the ethnic groups so that they are they go to becomes the majority that and cause the empire to further fracture and weaken the ethnic groups. This would cost money but the other options is to move them to the European side of the empire and just cause chaos in the enemy empires? Too cRazy

Why give your lifelong enemy more manpower to (possibly) use against you in a future war?

okay however a broke empire battered have to take in a huge amount of people and having to integrate them and after the Romans roam through the empire and raze everything to the ground that feed them. I assume the romasn also want reperations you get my point. So they will have a problem intergrating them for a long time and will certainly cause problems for the empire In the long run becasue they will be vindicative and be anger but once the genratiosn that lived there dies thye just be liek the rest of the emprie.
The refugees don't have much life quality expectations, they're early modern peasants from a poor desert backwater. All the Ottomans have to do is to give them some empty land, kill bandits, and give them a temporary tax exemption.
If doing that strains the Ottoman Empire then they don't deserve the title.

Cryostorm

Donor
Yeah, this war is going to do to the Sunni Arsb populations of Syria, Palestine, and Egypt/Sudan what happened to the Bulgarian population during the Second Komnenian dynasty, effectively finish them as anything more than a minor ethnic group. They have caused Rhomania, and Ethiopia, way too many problems and this war was the last straw for both of them. It is not pretty but this thing happened pretty much until WWII otl.

There totrlqy to different areas though and Christians and Muslims in Central Europe or Italy isn’t a recipe for stability

As disgusting as D3's methods are he doesn't really have another option. There are two ways to make sure Roman Syria/Palestine doesn't rebel. Either replace the leadership wholesale with Muslims (which means ceding the land to the Ottomans or Arabs and that's an absolute non-starter for the Romans for obvious reasons) or replace the population wholesale, which means either slaughtering them quickly via massacres or slowly via slavery.

As long as a majority-Muslim population is ruled and oppressed by a Christian empire rebellions are inevitable. The only way to end them is replacing either the leaders or the people. Enslaving huge chunks of the population is the only real way out of this mess from the Roman perspective.

There totrlqy to different areas though and Christians and Muslims in Central Europe or Italy isn’t a recipe for stability

I think we all need to remember that for all the modern looking reforms and general forward looking ways of Rome ITTL they remain an Orthodox Christian Theocracy. They are willing to tolerate the Jews, Shias, Heretical Christians, and Anatolian Muslim’s because they are all small groups that have “proven” their loyalty. The Arabs have proven the opposite; a group that has to be on their knees lest they be at your throat. So no emperor could justify giving them land anywhere even if that might make them loyal because it is land that should go to a good Orthodox family first.

Which comes to the 2nd point. After this war Rome is going to have to demobilize about 150000 soldiers who for the most part used to be landless peasants. What better way to both ensure the now ex-soldiers don’t tirn to banditry AND bring a large area back into productive uses AND Christianize all the cities than to give all those soldiers and their families land grants in the Levant.

150000 figure an average family of 4. So 600000 potential settlers. Do some slum clearance of major cities in the Aegean basin and Antioch to add another 150000 and suddenly within a generation you have a Greek Orthodox population of 1M+ in the Levant looking over a minority population of perhaps 350000.

Everybody wins! Except the Arabs Sunnis who are effectively wiped out.

Just to be clear when I say Europe I mean in not Roman Europe I mean in enemy Romans Europe
Why would Christian nations in Europe accept large numbers of angry Muslims?

@Basileus444 has the Ottoman Empire adopted printing presses on a large scale? IIRC the OTL Ottoman Empire gave in to the scribes and hobbled its printing industry until the 19th century.

Why would Christian nations in Europe accept large numbers of angry Muslims?

@Basileus444 has the Ottoman Empire adopted printing presses on a large scale? IIRC the OTL Ottoman Empire gave in to the scribes and hobbled its printing industry until the 19th century.
They wouldn’t the Romans are going to be just as Anger at the ottman as the latins and then to weaken them and just to mess with them they could move large amount there

They wouldn’t the Romans are going to be just as Anger at the ottman as the latins and then to weaken them and just to mess with them they could move large amount there
I can't understand a word in this post, but going by context I think you're suggesting that the Romans just dump the Levantine Arab Sunnis on foreign shores.
...That's an act of war. You're suggesting that the Romans declare war on another nation. Yeah, no.

So you want to uproot hundreds of thousands of Syrian Muslims, put them on ships (coming from where?) and have them sail to the front up the Danube (which is a war zone) and then dump all those hundreds of thousands of people in front of Blucher's army and then say "ok people, walk over there now!" That's the plan?

I can't understand a word in this post, but going by context I think you're suggesting that the Romans just dump the Levantine Arab Sunnis on foreign shores.
...That's an act of war. You're suggesting that the Romans declare war on another nation. Yeah, no.

So you want to uproot hundreds of thousands of Syrian Muslims, put them on ships (coming from where?) and have them sail to the front up the Danube (which is a war zone) and then dump all those hundreds of thousands of people in front of Blucher's army and then say "ok people, walk over there now!" That's the plan?
Once the war is over and I assume they have won

Once the war is over and I assume they have won

1 - @HanEmpire is right, that's an act of war. Or at least it will be perceived as such by the nation you are sending the refugees to.
2 - Where are you gonna get the logistical capacity to do that even if it were legal? Does Rome (hell, does anyone?) have enough of a naval fleet/merchant marine to ship hundreds of thousands of unwilling refugees while not cratering your economy at the same time?

As gross as it is it is easier to just sell them to Arles/Aragon/KotI and call it a day. That way Rome profits too - this war is expensive as hell and every hyperpyron helps offset that.

1 - @HanEmpire is right, that's an act of war. Or at least it will be perceived as such by the nation you are sending the refugees to.
2 - Where are you gonna get the logistical capacity to do that even if it were legal? Does Rome (hell, does anyone?) have enough of a naval fleet/merchant marine to ship hundreds of thousands of unwilling refugees while not cratering your economy at the same time?

As gross as it is it is easier to just sell them to Arles/Aragon/KotI and call it a day. That way Rome profits too - this war is expensive as hell and every hyperpyron helps offset that.
Yah that why was I said is it to cRazy

Winning doesn't grant you the right to throw unwanted crap on someone else's yard. Dumping refugees like that will turn the Roman Empire into a diplomatic pariah and destroy any amount of softpower it has.

If you know it then don't suggest it. At this point you're just shitposting.

b-b-but shitposting is fun!

/s

still tho, is there any possibility of doing to the Levantine Sunni what the Roman Empire did to the Anatolian Muslims? Eh, probably not, but I’m sure D3 did formulate a long term plan.

Additionally, I’m wondering if they won’t demobilize ALL the soldiers down onto Levantine territory. Probably like at least 75% to Syria and Palaestina maybe, but we don’t know what position the Druze, Arab Christians, and Assyrians will be in to help repopulate after this war is over. They will be a massive help if enough of them are still around. Whatever slack the non Arab Sunni minorities can pick up frees more soldiers up to demobilize and settle Egypt or other North African vassals.

Demetrios’ hope is that a ‘nudge’ from Mauromanikos will make the would-be Georgian King reasonable. He is still unaware that Logothete Sarantenos is misrepresenting the diplomatic proposals to both Demetrios and Alexei. He views this ‘nudge’ as a first step towards convincing his sovereign that Alexei is hopelessly irreconcilable and that the Emperor has no choice other than to throw his full weight behind Konstantin and his regent mother Anna Drakina. Anna, recognizing the importance of the Logothete to her and her son’s continued survival, steadfastly maintains Sarantenos’ retainer despite the severe strain on her finances and promises a hefty increase when full control over Georgia is restored.
It may. But with the strain lessened there, the Emperor is also free to look more thoroughly into other fields, and he is getting suspicious that something fishy is going on in these waters.

Folks have compared Phillip/Alexander to Demetrios/Odesseus to suggest how D3 can be a forgotten Emperor. I wonder if the parallels extend a bit further, and the Logothete would be willing to murder the Emperor in order to cover his tracks. D3 dying right now would be a big blow for the Romans, and this might be the one thing leading to a longer war (since the Romans have a decisive advantage in Italy, and are doing very well in Asia and the Danube, indicating a reasonable conclusion might be in sight soon)....

I hope this won't happen, but it would not surprise me if it does in fact occur....