An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Just how Greek is Persia going to be after conquest? The Parthians reversed a great deal of Hellenism in Persian culture but I'm sure there are some echoes left, Iskander's name itself proving.

Just how Greek is Persia going to be after conquest? The Parthians reversed a great deal of Hellenism in Persian culture but I'm sure there are some echoes left, Iskander's name itself proving.
There’s no chance of the Romans conquering Persia. The more likely scenario is they sack and burn their way through Persia, releasing any peripheral territories they can (maybe even a Despotate in Mesopotamia).

There’s no chance of the Romans conquering Persia. The more likely scenario is they sack and burn their way through Persia, releasing any peripheral territories they can (maybe even a Despotate in Mesopotamia).
Odysseus i certainly going to try... And daddy Demetrius has set up the game hugely in his favor.

It seems the tides have definitely turned. The question is what will the Ottomans and Theodor try next? One more defeat and they will probably be done for, but as it stands they aren't down for the count just yet.

Hopefully Demetrios catches on to what is happening in Georgia before the Roman and Georgian armies actually clash. The last thing Rome needs is a pointless war on a new frontier against people that should be steadfast allies. Those 30,000 men would also probably be the nail in the coffin for either Theodor or the Ottomans depending on where they are sent. Add whatever troops the Georgians can provide as soon as they have solved their succession issues and suddenly Rome's enemies are in even bigger trouble than they were before.

We are still in the second year of the war. Which war may well take a decade to end...

leaving a twenty-kilometer wide swathe of destruction, plumes of burning villagers rising into the clear blue sky

Is that a typo? That might be a little over the top, even for such a raid aimed at destruction.

He glanced over at Odysseus, sketching on a large canvas with a lead pencil, nibbling absentmindedly on the end as he pondered the scene in front of him

Are those pencils actually containing lead, or rather Graphite? If it's the former, nibbling on them could be a dangerous habit for the young Kaisar. We wouldn't want his plans for revenge cut tragically short, just as Andreas' were, would we?

So let me put all my thought in one post here:

Mesopotamia and the Far East is apparently where all of Rome's capable subordinates have gone off to. Would've been nice if they were in Europe or Syria but c'est la vie. It is certainly working out nicely for them in Mesopotamia and East Indies.

Came here to post this and saw you beat me to it. The rest of your post is also excellent and spot on.

Would be quite nice if capable division/corps commanders were also in Syria/Europe, but some is certainly better than the none shown so far in those theaters.

Last edited:

Cryostorm

Donor
There is already some resentment at Ibrahim from the Mesopotamian Turks.
I won’t be surprised if Mesopotamia completely breaks off
As much as Rhomania would like that I doubt that will happen for two reason. One if they do there is a good possibility the Arabs and Kurds may have the same idea of leaving Mesopotamia. The second, and even greater, reason is that an independent Mesopotamia will only survive and not get reconquered by Ottoman Persia if they having the backing of Rhomania, in essence becoming a near tributary of the Empire.

Their best bet would be to push for greater influence and play kingmaker when Ibrahim dies that way they stay an important province in a powerful empire rather than a state trying to balance two neighboring ones off each other. though the idea of Mesopotamia going Swiss is fun to think about.

Now could be the time for them to transition to a other dynasty, with how the Turkish center of power is getting ravaged by the Romans and Ibrahim is off in the Levant and is in no shape to return to his kingdom.
All the situation needs now is a ambitious general and we might very well see the Ottomans leave the table.

As much as Rhomania would like that I doubt that will happen for two reason. One if they do there is a good possibility the Arabs and Kurds may have the same idea of leaving Mesopotamia. The second, and even greater, reason is that an independent Mesopotamia will only survive and not get reconquered by Ottoman Persia if they having the backing of Rhomania, in essence becoming a near tributary of the Empire.

Their best bet would be to push for greater influence and play kingmaker when Ibrahim dies that way they stay an important province in a powerful empire rather than a state trying to balance two neighboring ones off each other. though the idea of Mesopotamia going Swiss is fun to think about.
I don't think that mesopotamia can even go the way of the swiss because, unlike Switzerland mesopotamia is very very valuable in agriculture and not a single mountain to protect them

Deleted member 67076

Aww I feel bad for the Ottomans. They lucked out pretty badly in the past few years and have been at non stop war since 1600 more or less.

No arms industry to speak of either. I can see the Switzerland scheme working for Afghanistan, but not Mesopotamia.

Long term I can see Rome trying to take and integrate the Mosul area. With that firmly in Roman hands the Roman heartland and Levant are secure while the heart of Ottoman power is now on the frontier.

It would be tough to take and it would require population “transfers” to put it mildly to hold onto but it would effectively neuter the Eastern threat for good.

As for despotates I can’t see Iraq becoming one except perhaps as a passing one after a successful war. The area would have zero loyalty to Rome and would be too vulnerable to Ottoman incursions to make it worth it from Rome’s perspective long term. Better to just trash the place in every war and than leave the Ottomans with the cleaning bill.

Wait so the Romans are basically going on a death march against it Muslim populations at home becasue of the constant rebellions and massive losses life, money, soldiers, etc. So due to the fact that just wiping out the entire population is costly and would prob have a physiological impact on them as well. Prob cost some money as well. Why not move these pop to the Ottoman empire destabilize it a bit and foreign populations and stuff concentrate the ethnic groups so that they are they go to becomes the majority that and cause the empire to further fracture and weaken the ethnic groups. This would cost money but the other options is to move them to the European side of the empire and just cause chaos in the enemy empires? Too cRazy

Wait so the Romans are basically going on a death march against it Muslim populations at home becasue of the constant rebellions and massive losses life, money, soldiers, etc. So due to the fact that just wiping out the entire population is costly and would prob have a physiological impact on them as well. Prob cost some money as well. Why not move these pop to the Ottoman empire destabilize it a bit and foreign populations and stuff concentrate the ethnic groups so that they are they go to becomes the majority that and cause the empire to further fracture and weaken the ethnic groups. This would cost money but the other options is to move them to the European side of the empire and just cause chaos in the enemy empires? Too cRazy
That's assuming the Ottoman Empire takes them, and that the current plan of selling them into slavery isn't enough to recoup losses of making them go away from their ancestral homeland.

It's pretty fucking horrific but Rhomania's been going down quite a dark spiral in this war, I'm not surprised they have gone to this sort of logic.

?
How do you figure that Levantine Muslims would be disruptive to the Ottomans? We're in the early modern era, Romanticism and the idea of ethnic-nationalism is far away still. If anything the displaced Muslims would be furious with the Roman Empire for displacing them from their ancestral homes and be fanatically loyal to the Ottoman Shah-Sultan for taking them in. They'd become productive subjects of the Ottomans within a generation at most. Your proposal basically has the Romans spending money and effort to give its biggest rival a bunch of tax-payers. That's the opposite of helpful.

?
How do you figure that Levantine Muslims would be disruptive to the Ottomans? We're in the early modern era, Romanticism and the idea of ethnic-nationalism is far away still. If anything the displaced Muslims would be furious with the Roman Empire for displacing them from their ancestral homes and be fanatically loyal to the Ottoman Shah-Sultan for taking them in. They'd become productive subjects of the Ottomans within a generation at most. Your proposal basically has the Romans spending money and effort to give its biggest rival a bunch of tax-payers. That's the opposite of helpful.
okay however a broke empire battered have to take in a huge amount of people and having to integrate them and after the Romans roam through the empire and raze everything to the ground that feed them. I assume the romasn also want reperations you get my point. So they will have a problem intergrating them for a long time and will certainly cause problems for the empire In the long run becasue they will be vindicative and be anger but once the genratiosn that lived there dies thye just be liek the rest of the emprie.

okay however a broke empire battered have to take in a huge amount of people and having to integrate them and after the Romans roam through the empire and raze everything to the ground that feed them. I assume the romasn also want reperations you get my point. So they will have a problem intergrating them for a long time and will certainly cause problems for the empire In the long run becasue they will be vindicative and be anger but once the genratiosn that lived there dies thye just be liek the rest of the emprie.

Or they become the new Turkmen of the Ottomans. A fiercely loyal minority that never stop agitating for the return on their “homeland”.

Honestly even if it takes 2 generations; so 40years; to integrate them it still leaves the Ottomans stronger long term for it. The Ottomans at that point have even more claim to being a “Muslim” great power rather than a “Persian” power. D3 is thinking in the long term. His current methods brutal though it may be will effectively cripple the diaspora by scattering then to the 4 corners and by making them slaves will also cripple their literary culture. So 40 years down the line there won’t be anyone left to claim it as their ancestral home.