An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

I don't see why anyone in Europe or even away from Europe would want to see the unholy not Roman emperor become basileus. Not even his own allies in the coming war. If Louis XIV gaining Spain was bad this is even worse. Which means the smaller European powers have the option of backing Constantinople now, or getting hanged separately later.
But no-one wants to see Constantinople gain ascendancy, and there is much more public hate in Catholic Europe for Constantinople IIRC.

But no-one wants to see Constantinople gain ascendancy, and there is much more public hate in Catholic Europe for Constantinople IIRC.

The empire isn't gaining ascendancy if left on its own under Demetrios. And give that it also has an eastern front to deal with it ability to threaten the independence of lesser European powers is to put it mildly limited. Creating a single state from it an the Germans on the other hand means a monster of 40+ million people that's effectively unmanageable by any of its neighbours.

It would be so, if the smaller states thought for a moment that such a conquest wouldn't simply drain German manpower and money for generations before the inevitable successful Roman rebellion.

The same reasoning that the Triunes use for allying themselves to the Germans (so they can pick of the Roman Far East) is the same reasoning the other minor powers will use not to support Constantinople but even to pick off colonies for themselves as well without needing to ally themselves to the Germans or Triunes.

The empire isn't gaining ascendancy if left on its own under Demetrios. And give that it also has an eastern front to deal with it ability to threaten the independence of lesser European powers is to put it mildly limited. Creating a single state from it an the Germans on the other hand means a monster of 40+ million people that's effectively unmanageable by any of its neighbours.
Firstly, I don't think anyone other than the Poles expect the HRE to win, and secondly: if ERE wins a smashing victory, then they have free reign (other than the UKs) over Europe. However, if the ERE wins a pyrrhic victory, then both giants have been weakened, and the secondary states can make a push for great power status, and the Triunes (who aren't getting involved in Europe) would achieve ascendancy - however they would be countered by the Empire of All the North, so it would result in a less restrictive situation for the secondary powers.

Firstly, I don't think anyone other than the Poles expect the HRE to win, and secondly: if ERE wins a smashing victory, then they have free reign (other than the UKs) over Europe. However, if the ERE wins a pyrrhic victory, then both giants have been weakened, and the secondary states can make a push for great power status, and the Triunes (who aren't getting involved in Europe) would achieve ascendancy - however they would be countered by the Empire of All the North, so it would result in a less restrictive situation for the secondary powers.

Even in the event of a smashing Roman victory they're not going to do much to Western Europe. They have no direction (or desire) to expand, the most they can do if the 2nd tier powers gang up on them is probably shave off some territories to boost Sicily and Serbia.

The only European power that the Empire has a good way to punish is Poland, which is to have them return the territories they took off Prussia and the various Russian states.

In the event of a Demetrian victory I reckon he'll settle for a massive financial indemnity, having the Germans renounce their claim and perhaps some colonial Asian concessions.

The Empire of All the North is a great deal weaker than the Triunes, they're probably one of the weaker 2nd tier powers.

Even in the event of a smashing Roman victory they're not going to do much to Western Europe. They have no direction (or desire) to expand, the most they can do if the 2nd tier powers gang up on them is probably shave off some territories to boost Sicily and Serbia.

The only European power that the Empire has a good way to punish is Poland, which is to have them return the territories they took off Prussia and the various Russian states.

In the event of a Demetrian victory I reckon he'll settle for a massive financial indemnity, having the Germans renounce their claim and perhaps some colonial Asian concessions.

The Empire of All the North is a great deal weaker than the Triunes, they're probably one of the weaker 2nd tier powers.

Yeah, ERE has been a satiated power for a long, long time. Their priorities are in Middle (Persia) and Far East (colonies). I doubt anyone is afraid of their domination or even modest influence over western Europe. Unified HRE is the giant gorrila here, without 30 years war to decimate their population and reformation to shatter it's unity they should be absolute heavyweights.

In the end, I belieave that a total takeover of either HRE or ERE is unfeasible, so no one will gain a total domination.

And yeah, low population of EAN stops them to ever be a true equal of Triunes.

Yeah, ERE has been a satiated power for a long, long time. Their priorities are in Middle (Persia) and Far East (colonies). I doubt anyone is afraid of their domination or even modest influence over western Europe. Unified HRE is the giant gorrila here, without 30 years war to decimate their population and reformation to shatter it's unity they should be absolute heavyweights.

That's pretty spot on. The HRE and Triple Monarchy represent serious territorial (maybe existential) threats to many of the 2nd tier powers like Arles and Lombardia. If any of these Kings had any foresight they would realise that a stronger Roman Empire would be counterweight to the other great powers, with almost no feasible way to encroach on their European interests (especially as their demographics gradually catch up). Rhomania has reached its ceiling in power and influence, the HRE and Triple Monarchy are just beginning to reach theirs.

You know what I'm wondering; How will western European historians in the coming enlightenment handle Rhomania when they write the ITTL version of the "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"? The one in OTL attacked Rhomania as a pathetic shadow of the Roman empire and could get away with it because it had been dead for centuries by then. But ITTL, with Rhomania being a great power and very, very sure of being the heirs of Rome how will western historians approach their connection? Will they just write it the same way, that seems hardly diplomatic, it's one thing to insult a fallen empire, it's another to directly insult another great power in such a way. If they do, what will the response of Rhomania be? I presume their scholarly community would attack back with twice the force against what they see as a smear campaign by barbarian Latins. But will their be more that'd come from it I wonder. Since ITTL Rhomania has a really twitchy response to Western Europeans and their descendants from the Fourth Crusade and later.

Actually I'm also wondering how western philosophers, if they follow the same general path as OTL, would view Rhomania and it's culture of absolutism. Those who believe in the Enlighten monarchy would like it naturally but those who were against the general concept of the unrestrained monarchy would look at it aghast, as it is technically an absolute monarchy.

Hey I have another thing, sorry for the double post but it doesn't really have anything to do with my previous post in content and there has been no real activity since then but I'm wondering if your still bothering with the Federal Empire concept? I'm wondering since the Kingdom of the Rus, the one you first used the term for, completely balkanized thanks to it's internal tensions. The HRE is really based around the German cultural region. The empire of all the North is really based around Scandinavia, which was always a very similar region and are thus really easy to synthesize into a single nationality after a long period of time. With Scotland being a relatively small part of it and basically scared into being part of Scandinavia by the Triple Monarchy. The Triple Monarchy is the only one I can really see as being a proper federal Empire and even they are largely French it seems and are developing a civic national identity. The Arabs of Syria and Palestine ITTL have all the makings of a disgruntle minority that'll adopt Ethnic nationalism to free themselves from their oppressors as well, in this case the Greek (with the Turks in Anatolia being essentially Hellenized and the Armenians being thoroughly integrated into the Roman matrix) based Rhomania.

I'm so absolutely ecstatic to finally be caught up with this timeline, even binging it it lasted for almost two weeks of intense, daily reading!

Well, after catching up with this for nearly a month, I never thought I would be here with you guys, commenting and waiting.
Thought this would be abandoned or finished by the time I got here.
Glad to see that isn't the case.

Now to wait for an update…

Well, after catching up with this for nearly a month, I never thought I would be here with you guys, commenting and waiting.
Thought this would be abandoned or finished by the time I got here.
Glad to see that isn't the case.

Now to wait for an update…

Niketas was something else wasn't he?