An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

I'm not sure that Ottokar would be enthusiastic to bring in Henri though, because he knows he'll have to cough up his pride, his reputation, and the lands of the Rhine to him just to crush the Ravens, who are basically just peasant rebels. That's seriously not a good look for an Emperor who is pretty shaky in terms of his authority, so he'd have to weigh his options before clicking that "SOS" button to the Triunes.

Meanwhile, the Ravens are obviously a grave threat to the current social order, but they remain a much more subdued enemy compared to the massive raving armies of the Triunes and with them taking Magdeburg as a base, that only makes them an easy static target for the Germans in case they do need to get rid of them.

It'd be more interesting if Ottokar manages to crush the Raven's Rebellion on his own terms instead of taking the easy way out with Henri. The Ravens can be a useful tool for him both militarily and politically, being a weapon he can manipulate to crush the Triunes while giving some small concessions to them, only for him to betray them when they do not see Ottokar and Elisabeth's treachery. I can see Ottokar firmly establish himself as the HRE Emperor among the Electors and the rest of the German court through the death of the Ravens if done in this fashion.
I have to agree that Henri will be a last resort. If Ottokar brings him in to help deal with the Ravens, I imagine more than a few electors are going to wonder what the point of having an emperor at all is after the last one crushed them with casualties and taxes for foreign adventures and the current one failed to protect them from both external and internal threats.

I've been rereading the whole timeline, and I have to say that it is utterly amazing!

Question for the future, do you think you will keep the current writing style or go back to year-on-year?

I’m not sure yet. It might be more of a mix of both, with the year-to-year perhaps being regional. For instance, I’m planning on following the Roman-Ottoman war chronologically, then jumping back to Europe to cover it chronologically. I think that works much better for narrative cohesion, rather than segmenting everything into ‘all the stuff that happened everywhere in 1641’ and then ‘all the stuff that happened everywhere in 1642’ and so on.

I'm not sure that Ottokar would be enthusiastic to bring in Henri though, because he knows he'll have to cough up his pride, his reputation, and the lands of the Rhine to him just to crush the Ravens, who are basically just peasant rebels. That's seriously not a good look for an Emperor who is pretty shaky in terms of his authority, so he'd have to weigh his options before clicking that "SOS" button to the Triunes.

Meanwhile, the Ravens are obviously a grave threat to the current social order, but they remain a much more subdued enemy compared to the massive raving armies of the Triunes and with them taking Magdeburg as a base, that only makes them an easy static target for the Germans in case they do need to get rid of them.

It'd be more interesting if Ottokar manages to crush the Raven's Rebellion on his own terms instead of taking the easy way out with Henri. The Ravens can be a useful tool for him both militarily and politically, being a weapon he can manipulate to crush the Triunes while giving some small concessions to them, only for him to betray them when they do not see Ottokar and Elisabeth's treachery. I can see Ottokar firmly establish himself as the HRE Emperor among the Electors and the rest of the German court through the death of the Ravens if done in this fashion.

I have to agree that Henri will be a last resort. If Ottokar brings him in to help deal with the Ravens, I imagine more than a few electors are going to wonder what the point of having an emperor at all is after the last one crushed them with casualties and taxes for foreign adventures and the current one failed to protect them from both external and internal threats.

Ottokar wouldn’t want to ally with Henri in order to destroy the Ravens. However people were saying that Ottokar should ally with the Ravens against Henri, but if Ottokar had to ally with one to destroy the other, he would be allying with Henri, not the Ravens. Ottokar can’t ally with the Ravens and offer them concessions because that would be a devastating blow to his legitimacy. Monarchs do not negotiate with peasants; if they do it shows they are weak. If Ottokar crushed the Ravens and then offered some concessions afterwards as a show of paternalistic benevolence, that would be fine. But while they’re still an army in the field, that’s off the table. Meanwhile Henri, unlike the Ravens, is a fellow monarch and noble who doesn’t believe in wiping out the upper strata of society of which Ottokar is a part.

The House of Iron: Who Are You?
The House of Iron: Who Are You?

The Monastery of St. Theodoros Megas, near Didymoteichon, Thrace, April 19, 1639:

Iskandar looked up from the piece of wood he was carving to gaze again on the landscape sprawled out before him. He was sitting in a chair on a hill crowned by a copse of trees, below him a small lake. At the opposite end of the lake a stream exited, winding its way down to the shimmering ribbon that was the Evros River near the horizon. It was a clear warm day.

Next to the lake by a small dock where two small boats were moored was a square wooden structure. The ‘guests of Theodoros Megas’ used it as their hesychastic lodge while they were here; the monastery, like several others dedicated to Theodoros Megas, helped care for veterans who had…dreams. The members of their lodge had come here as a retreat.

He could see Odysseus seated down by the lake, nibbling the end of his brush while he pondered the canvas. Iskandar could make out the broad strokes. It was a landscape painting of the scene spread before him, but that was too simple, too plain, too boring for Odysseus. His lake had dinosaurs watering themselves, triceratops drinking deeply while their dismounted riders, great iron-tipped spears and bows slung over their backs, filled their canteens. It was a mix of the real world, and of a world that his father Demetrios had imagined.

Iskandar heard movement behind him and looked over to see one of the older monks, Brother Anastasios, headed towards him. He was pushing a wheelbarrow with pieces of firewood in it and halted at a splitting stump set back behind Iskandar’s chair. “Do you need any help with that?” Iskandar asked as Anastasios hefted his axe.

“No, I’ve got this. But thanks.”

Anastasios started splitting the wood while Iskandar went back to his carving, but the monk constantly muttered words under his breath as the wood was uncooperative. Iskandar couldn’t make out most of what he said, but the little he got was all profane. Iskandar turned his head to look at the monk, who had his axe bit deep into the last piece and was hammering at the back with a hammer to split the lumber. “For someone who’s taken vows, you swear a lot.”

Anastasios looked up at him. “Clearly you don’t spend much time around nuns.”

“What?”

He grinned. “I refuse to explain that.”

With a solid thunk he finished breaking apart the wood and wiped his brow. He walked over and plunked down in one of the other chairs, breathing heavily until his chest settled down. Then he looked over at Iskandar. “Is that one of those dinosaur things you’re making?”

“It is,” Iskandar replied, showing him the almost-complete wooden carving. “It’s a stegosaurus.”

“Looks like my mother-in-law.”

“I strongly suspect you have some strange stories you’re not telling me.” The white-haired monk grinned evilly at him.

“The back-plates don’t seem the best defense,” Anastasios added. “They cover the upper back, but it’s got those exposed flanks.”

“Yeah. I figure the flanks are protected by this.” He pointed at the tail with its four wicked spikes. “While the plates protect the part that can’t be reached with the tail.”

“Good explanation. Makes sense. And unsurprising from you, considering your father.” Iskandar raised an eyebrow. “Speaking of strange stories, I met your father before you were born.”

“Really, when?”

“Well, met is probably the wrong word. We never spoke but I tried to kill him. I was at Astara. I had a good shot on him but missed, obviously. Clipped his turban, although I don’t know if he noticed.”

“Do you wish you had killed him?”

“No. Are you surprised by that?”

“Not really. If you did, I doubt you’d be telling me this. Although I don’t know why.”

“If it had been God’s will for your father to die at my hand, he would have. Obviously it was not God’s will. So be it. I have enough blood on my hands; I have no need to wish for more.”

“There are some Romans who would be quite angry to hear you say that.”

“I know. And my fist would be happy to discuss this with their noses if it comes up.”

“I thought you said you didn’t want more blood on your hands.”

“Don’t want to kill anyone. But punching people, especially stupid ones, I’m open to that.”

“You are a strange monk.”

“I’ve got nothing on nuns.”

“Are you going to explain that one now?”

“Nope.”

They sat there in silence for a while. “You were at Astara, and other places, I assume?” Iskandar asked.

“Yes.”

“Do the dreams ever stop?”

Anastasios breathed out heavily. “They come less often, but no, they do not stop.”

“How do you deal with that?”

“Still trying to figure that one out myself. I guess you learn to live with them. Or you don’t. And I do not condemn or judge anyone who cannot.”

The Monastery of St. Theodoros Megas, near Didymoteichon, Thrace, April 29, 1639:

Iskandar was back seated on the hill, looking out as the sun crested over the horizon. He had the finished wooden dinosaur carvings in his hands; Odysseus had painted them once he was finished with the woodworking. In his left he had the stegosaurus and in his right he had the triceratops he’d made after the stegosaurus.

He held up the stegosaurus. “A new day dawns, and a new land for us to claim and call our own,” he said.

Then it was the triceratops’ turn. “Yes, yes, a new land for us. We must name it. We should call it Fred.”

“Fred? Fred? Are you serious?” Steg ‘replied’.

“Of course,” Tri ‘answered’. “It’s a great name.”

“Well, then it’s official.”

“Wait, are you serious?”

“Yup. You’re not allowed to name anything, ever.”

“That doesn’t seem fair.”

“Says the one who wants to call our new land Fred. No, we’re going to call it Steve. That’s a much better name.”

Iskandar smiled as the horn called from the lodge, interrupting him. There were reasons he preferred to keep his thoughts to himself.

Dyulino Pass, Theme of Bulgaria, May 5, 1639:

The three of them rode up to the hunting lodge, currently empty and locked up. Odysseus looked over at his companions, Michael Pirokolos and Iskandar of Persia. “Are you sure you wish to do this?” Michael asked.

“Wish, no,” Odysseus replied. “But have to, yes.” He dismounted, handing the reins over to Iskandar who took them silently.

It was just the three of them in the yard; their attendants had stopped a kilometer down the road. Odysseus had no desire to stay here.

The hunting lodge now belonged to his brother-in-law Alexandros but he rarely used the place, which was just fine with Odysseus. This was where Andreas, Emperor of the Romans, his brother, had died.

He wandered around to the back of the building, not willing to step inside. It was silly, ridiculous, arguably pathetic, that he had come this far, and yet couldn’t make that last little step, but that was the way it was. He still wasn’t entirely sure why he was here. He hadn’t been here since that hateful day, and it wasn’t a special anniversary even. The trip had been out of the way, and he needed to go to Constantinople. His father had called for him, and it did not seem the Emperor would long be in the land of the living.

That was why Odysseus had come here, now. To do so during what would be likely his last chance before he was Emperor of the Romans, before he took the throne that had once been that of Andreas III, back in what seemed like another lifetime.

He just stood there silently, staring out into the silent woods, his thoughts tumbling and crashing over each other, arguing and pleading and pondering inside his head.

He felt shame at the first thought he’d made at seeing Maria after Andreas had died. He felt grief at the loss of his friend, his brother. Yet he was also angry at Andreas, angry at him for dying. That was what had started it all. And he felt guilt for feeling that anger. But he also felt relief, for perhaps the nightmares would’ve come anyway, and at least this way Andreas had been spared them. But while Odysseus shuddered at the nightmares, he could not deny that war and battle called to him. He yearned for it, for it was the only time he truly felt alive, the only time he truly felt free from fear. Yet he knew that was wrong, for it only spread the nightmares even more, and so the guilt and shame returned.

He felt…tired.

There were some promises to keep, and a thing or two for himself he wished to do, but he was tired. “See you soon, brother,” he whispered, then turned and walked back to his companions.

The White Palace, Constantinople, May 9, 1639:

The smell was the first thing he noticed. It wasn’t very strong, but there was a distinct tang of it in the air. The smell of human excrement, wet, hot, new. Odysseus knew from where it came.

His father was seated on the opposite side of the room, a thick black curtain set between them. The window was on his father’s side, so Odysseus’ part of the chamber was dark, making it even harder for him to see. All he could make out was an outline, a thin old man in a chair, a small desk in front of him, a glass and small plate set on top. Along with the excrement was a smell of milk and shrimp.

Demetrios III Sideros, Emperor of the Romans, had been worried about his wrecked digestive system incapacitating him during the key negotiations with the Latins over Italy. To keep that from being a problem, he’d lessened his already low food intake, to decrease the amount of matter scraping over ulcerated intestines. It had worked, but like all things, it came at a cost. Three days after the treaty signing, he’d collapsed. He’d been so weak he’d been unable to hold his bowels. Somehow he’d not died then, and with some more regular food intake he’d recovered a bit, but even now, the Emperor of the Romans, one of the most powerful men in the world, could only with difficulty and with limited success keep from fouling himself. Odysseus did not blame his father for hiding away from the world.

“Thank you for not saying anything,” Demetrios said. Odysseus opened his mouth. “Don’t patronize me; I know what I smell like.”

The voice was weak, but that of his father, but not quite. Odysseus knew immediately what was off, for he had heard that voice many times. It was the voice of a man who had already died inside, and was waiting for that one merciful bullet to come and finally end it. Odysseus knew that voice well. He had sometimes wondered about that one merciful bullet himself.

“You wished to speak to me,” Odysseus replied, coming up close to the curtain.

“You’re going to be Emperor soon. I had some words of advice from a man who, in theory, is supposed to be intelligent, although I have my doubts.”

“What would those be?”

“Don’t end up like me.”

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t be like me, someone who had his life decided for him by others. Find the story you want to tell with your life, tell it, and then get the hell out of here.”

“Was it, was it really that bad, your life?”

“No, it could’ve been worse. But this was my one life, and it was not the one I would’ve wanted, and it was not the one I was meant for. Purple is a good color for your mother, and your sister, but not for me. Nor is it a good color for you. You know I’m right. This place is not for you or me. If you stay here, you’ll end up like me. Promise me you won’t.”

“I promise. I promise I won’t end up like you.” A pause. “That sounded wrong, coming from me.”

Demetrios actually managed a chuckle. “A bit. But thank you. Goodbye, my son.” There was a bit of strain in his voice in the last word, Odysseus guessing that he was trying to hold his bowels.

“Goodbye, Father.”

As Odysseus left the chamber he could smell that his father had failed. The last thing he sensed as he exited was Demetrios’ pained whisper, “please, don’t end up like me.”

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
Seems like Demetrios essentially just said what everyone here thinks, leave the administration and politics to his wife, sister, and mother and focus on his own strengths. Avoid Constantinople unless necessary.

Sounds like Odysseus might abdicate and let Athena take over. It might be a good precedent, letting the more capable sibling rule. Or let Athena become the Chancellor perhaps?

For Athena not the power behind the throne, but the power in front of it perhaps. Then add in a council with Odysseus blessing, perhaps a Pro Forma senate and see where that evolves.

Hmm. Ignoring all the political shenanigans - in the next Roman-Ottoman war, we might see Rome finally get a decisive victory.

Despite only abandoning (for the most part) 'irelevant' territories, the past 40 (?) years have been a series of territorially speaking massive losses for Byzantium.

Funnily enough this is mainly because they were constrained by a reflection of what OTL stopped the Ottomans from smashing Europe. A strong power on their other main border. For the OTL Ottomans, it was the fact that they had to constantly have several armies on the borders of Persia, for TTL Byzantium it was the reverse, they had to keep several armies in Europe.

Whilst obviously there is still a European threat, it is massively weakened and the Empire's European border is entirely surrounded by buffer states. They can afford to massively scale down troops in Europe, and move these armies to the east.

Let's look at the advantages of Byzantium this time around.

1. Ottomans are very overstretched
2. The border is much further from the Ottoman heartland than the Byzantine one
3. Pretty much all of Byzantium's armies are veterans
4. Byzantium has dragged itself into the modern age, giving it a massive organisational advantage and a massive advantage in their ability to raise money.
5. The Ottomans have lost Iskander the Great, essentially the only reason that they managed to beat and then bluff the Byzantine's the first time

I'd expect large conquests, possibly making it look more like the 1600 border... (I picked that date at random to emphasise the scale of Ottoman potential losses)

We've already seen a mostly permanent/accepted border in the west, will we soon see one in the East? Maybe.

My ideal Eastern border would be the coast going decently inland (modern Israel+Lebanon+Palestine etc), Syria, and Northern Iraq. Defensible, economically significant, but after recent wars it should be depopulated enough that assimilation could be achieved within a century.

You mentioned in an earlier that the Roman navy kinda stagnates compared to powers like that unholy England-France-Lowlands union - this could be because the Byzantine's are crippled, but I think it is more likely to be caused by a peace which is largely in Roman favour coupled with not needing massive first rates when they own the entire Eastern Mediterranean coasts due to their direct lands and despotates.

Last edited:
Ottokar wouldn’t want to ally with Henri in order to destroy the Ravens. However people were saying that Ottokar should ally with the Ravens against Henri, but if Ottokar had to ally with one to destroy the other, he would be allying with Henri, not the Ravens. Ottokar can’t ally with the Ravens and offer them concessions because that would be a devastating blow to his legitimacy. Monarchs do not negotiate with peasants; if they do it shows they are weak. If Ottokar crushed the Ravens and then offered some concessions afterwards as a show of paternalistic benevolence, that would be fine. But while they’re still an army in the field, that’s off the table. Meanwhile Henri, unlike the Ravens, is a fellow monarch and noble who doesn’t believe in wiping out the upper strata of society of which Ottokar is a part.
Fair point, although I reckon that it's still his last trump card against the Ravens if all else fails. Although the HRE has been weakened by the Great Latin War, he still has Bavaria, Hungary-Austria, and his own holdings in Bohemia. He's certainly not out of the game yet and it's only a matter of time until the Ravens cannot overcome the sheer numbers that he can field once they learn to counter Raven tactics.

RIP Demetrios III, the kickass bureaucrat turned Basileus, although his final days have been pretty...crappy to say the least. Really gonna miss the guy.

Anyways, Odysseus has so much expectations to fulfill as Basileus that it would make Suleiman, Augustus, and Alexander sigh in relief that they didn't receive this much baggage. Fulfilling Andreas III's legacy, on top of fixing up the image of the Sideroi, and bringing Romania to its practical zenith that surpasses Andreas Niketas? Very very hard job.

Still, I don't think he will listen to Demetrios and abdicate in favor of Athena or Jahzara, because he feels that he is obligated to take the throne due to Andreas III's untimely death and his relationship with Maria. It's his responsibility to do what Andreas III could not, although his father would be right that he let others decide his fate, even if they were from beyond the grave. It's going to be a sad life behind all of that magnificence and glory.

If Odysseus still becomes Emperor, Athena would very much become his right hand woman in virtually every affair besides war regardless. In fact, that's what I could see happening as Athena becomes the real power in the throne, managing the minute details in the White Palace while Odysseus makes up battle plans and war goals. It's not a horrible arrangement at all and we could see the Emperor slowly lose his absolutist powers as they are relegated to a Prime Minister role and the Roman Senate after Odysseus. It'd be a marked change towards a more modern system.

Last edited:
Still, I don't think he will listen to Demetrios and abdicate in favor of Athena or Eudoxia, because he feels that he is obligated to take the throne due to Andreas III's untimely death and his relationship with Maria. It's his responsibility to do what Andreas III could not, although his father would be right that he let others decide his fate, even if they were from beyond the grave. It's going to be a sad life behind all of that magnificence and glory.
If memory serves a marriage between Athena's and his children has already been arranged?

And by the way let me point again a basic difference the empire has with the west, in the person of the new empress who is as much a commoner as you can get...

And so passes a great and flawed man in equal measure, like all men and women. A man who was called to hold together an empire and did so, at the cost of his health, his mental acuity, and perhaps his soul. A man who didn't want the crown in the first place and hated wearing it once he got it but who wore it with grace and skill nonetheless. Perhaps there's a lesson there.

Godspeed Demetrios, third of his name, Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans. May your Heaven be an endless library with a bottomless supply of kaffos and White Tower pizza.

Further talking about the future development of Byzantium, their European border seems to have reached a state like France's post-1815. It is 'the border', accepted by Byzantium and the Latin powers as the border.

This coupled with the establishment of buffer states is very good for the future of Byzantine Europe. The regions North of Greece (which is already artificially highly populated) will likely see a moderate, but significant, population boom. They have historically been the ones to get kicked in the nuts by any war in Europe: Peace, large scale immigration (Vlachs etc.) and more free land due to a lower population density should contribute towards a general rise in population.

Anatolia, being essentially safe from invasion (I can't remember the exact quote, but it is stated in a recent paragraph that the last Turkish invasion was the first to have no intention to invade Anatolia, as it was essentially impossible to hold) and finally getting potatoes (mentioned in a previous chapter) which will make previously useless hilly areas perfectly fine for growing food - should also see a population increase of around ~20%.

Looking at the effects of this on the balance of power, this rejuvenated Balkans should be equal to Southern Germany (Bavaria, Austria etc) in strength (when Germany isn't burning that is) - or maybe slightly lower. This stronger Anatolia should be equal to the Northern HRE, or the pure France bits of the Triunes. Whilst if the Byzantine's do manage to reverse their losses to the Ottomans, those territories should be the equal of what was Lothalaringia, plus a little bit more due to their well-developed and old cities.

So, in a no reconquest from Ottomans scenario Byzantium would (in my predictions) rank like this in terms of nearby powers:

1) Triunes
2) Byzantium & Fully rejuvenated HRE
3) Ottomans

Whilst if they do reconquer their lands from the Ottomans it would be like this:

1) Triunes
2) Byzantium
3) Fully rejuvenated HRE
4) Ottomans

This of course assumes that Byzantium has some peaceful decades post the soon coming Roman-Ottoman war, but this seems likely to happen as most powers will need it (Byzantium, Ottomans, HRE) whilst others will want it so they can expand outside of Europe (Triune, Other colonial powers). Still, I don't think that another major, devastating civil war will happen - the power of Generals to go "My throne now" has been broken, the legitimacy of claimants utilizing military force to enforce their will has been dealt a decisive blow by the execution of an Empress's eldest son for doing such (by said Empress!), and Byzantium has a common shared enemy/siege mentality, which typically massively lowers the willingness of a state to war within itself. Another useful thing is the by now well established precedent of sharing power when the Emperor isn't competent enough at a specific thing.

I might be hella wrong - but this is just my thoughts. I hope we have some peaceful decades post a succesful Roman-Ottoman war - Byzantium deserves some good times 😀 after all their suffering in recent decades.

Long live Rome!

Poor Demetrios, he doesn't deserve such an end, shitting himself to death. At least he had one last chance to connect with Odysseus (I believe they were a bit emotionally estranged?).

Odysseus is honestly better empowering Athena as an extension of himself, rather than transitioning to a 'Prime Minister' style of Government. Europe is after all only beginning the Age of Absolutism.

Farewell Demetrios, the forgotten one, many will remember you nonetheless. The world is grateful you weren't as ambitious as you could have been, as brutal as was possible, or as monstrous. You fought off nearly all of Europe in some way or measure, and came out on top.

----

Regarding the last words - I'm pretty sure they were specifically "don't rule from here, be the Emperor in your way, with a loyal army (note: much closer to Timur in that way), and let your sister deal with the City.

The idea of broadening the institutions to assist the Emperor would certainly be worthwhile, whilst we've seen the start of reforms in how foreign affairs are handled, there are probably further reforms that D3 hadn't had time to implement that could be useful in various areas, and offices of use.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ody spends time touring the cities of the Empire in his early days and gathering talent to either serve him in Constantinople, or serve him where he sets his hat. Considering the predictions of the future, I wonder if that would be Antioch, or some other city in Syria (I think Damascus is in Ottoman territory at the moment, but I've not checked the map in a while). It'd be cool to see him turn it into his main base, ruling from there or at least, preparing for the war with the Ottomans there, and the conquest of Mesopotamia. Part of me secretly hopes that he spends most of his reign in Mesopotamia, starting with preparing to take it, but then effectively sitting in Baghdad, centre of his operations in his realm, with Athena given pretty much all the power she needs in exchange for ensuring his efforts in the east are supported. We've got an Ottomans to cow, a reasonable border in Mesopotamia to establish, and probably diplomatic and military efforts to make throughout the rest of Arabia to ensure a pacified east.

That's my "more sensible" expectations - the more extreme, given the obvious parallels and references to Iskandars father and his veterans, suggests potentially a terrifyingly successful stomp of the Ottomans, with the Great Crime being something that kicks the Ottomans back for a long time, only to freak out N.India, and being turned back.

Or the one that intrigues me but is unlikely - he actually goes East, to RITE, and meets the Emperor of Vijayanagar on his way to handle the issues of RITE. There is a part of me that loves the idea of Ody going there, learning and understanding the situation, doing a little bit of (restrained) butt-kicking with the forces he's brought with him, and then going home leaving an organised Exarchate in the area, and a Malay Guard to bring home. I don't know why but I sort of love the idea of a Malay guard for either Ody or even Athena. Get some fresh blood swapped around.

Regarding the last words - I'm pretty sure they were specifically "don't rule from here, be the Emperor in your way, with a loyal army (note: much closer to Timur in that way), and let your sister deal with the City.

The idea of broadening the institutions to assist the Emperor would certainly be worthwhile, whilst we've seen the start of reforms in how foreign affairs are handled, there are probably further reforms that D3 hadn't had time to implement that could be useful in various areas, and offices of use.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ody spends time touring the cities of the Empire in his early days and gathering talent to either serve him in Constantinople, or serve him where he sets his hat. Considering the predictions of the future, I wonder if that would be Antioch, or some other city in Syria (I think Damascus is in Ottoman territory at the moment, but I've not checked the map in a while). It'd be cool to see him turn it into his main base, ruling from there or at least, preparing for the war with the Ottomans there, and the conquest of Mesopotamia. Part of me secretly hopes that he spends most of his reign in Mesopotamia, starting with preparing to take it, but then effectively sitting in Baghdad, centre of his operations in his realm, with Athena given pretty much all the power she needs in exchange for ensuring his efforts in the east are supported. We've got an Ottomans to cow, a reasonable border in Mesopotamia to establish, and probably diplomatic and military efforts to make throughout the rest of Arabia to ensure a pacified east.

That's my "more sensible" expectations - the more extreme, given the obvious parallels and references to Iskandars father and his veterans, suggests potentially a terrifyingly successful stomp of the Ottomans, with the Great Crime being something that kicks the Ottomans back for a long time, only to freak out N.India, and being turned back.

Or the one that intrigues me but is unlikely - he actually goes East, to RITE, and meets the Emperor of Vijayanagar on his way to handle the issues of RITE. There is a part of me that loves the idea of Ody going there, learning and understanding the situation, doing a little bit of (restrained) butt-kicking with the forces he's brought with him, and then going home leaving an organised Exarchate in the area, and a Malay Guard to bring home. I don't know why but I sort of love the idea of a Malay guard for either Ody or even Athena. Get some fresh blood swapped around.
Except he won't capture Mesopotamia, not to occupy it. It's too far away from the Imperial heartlands, supply lines would be too long, and it would sap too much manpower to control and keep. Sure he might fight in and ruin parts of it and put Iskander on the throne but he won't conquer Mesopotamia.

Nah, I think he was pretty straightforward with asking Odysseus to give the Emperor title to his sister. She is clearly more capable and suited for the job than him while Odysseus doesn't really desire the purple. If Andreas III didn't die so suddenly and left Odysseus with a massive amount of guilt over it, I think he could've accepted, but the tragedy of his brother-in-arms clearly runs through his mind now, and I don't think he'll acquiesce to his father's demands. He has to be Emperor for Andreas and Maria's sake.

I'm going to be curious how Athena will expand the imperial bureaucracy, since it's clear that she will have full control over the government. I think she'll continue to endorse her father's policies so whatever he did not achieve in death she will fulfill once she becomes the Emperor's aide.

Odysseus is honestly better empowering Athena as an extension of himself, rather than transitioning to a 'Prime Minister' style of Government. Europe is after all only beginning the Age of Absolutism.
As much as we can praise on Odysseus being "The Magnificent", he doesn't strike me as incredibly ambitious, politically capable, or absolutist like other examples of great kings and queens. He might end up being completely subsumed by Athena and the rest of the Imperial court/government instead of ruling on his own like an actual autocrat.
While it's unlikely that he's gonna go all constitutional monarchy or liberal reforms during this age, changes in government can happen incrementally over time like what happened in Great Britain.

Except he won't capture Mesopotamia, not to occupy it. It's too far away from the Imperial heartlands, supply lines would be too long, and it would sap too much manpower to control and keep. Sure he might fight in and ruin parts of it and put Iskander on the throne but he won't conquer Mesopotamia.
I feel like he's going to try and occupy Mesopotamia anyways after seizing Jerusalem and the rest of the Levant regardless out of personal pride to fulfill Andreas III's ambitions. Although a crushing defeat or realizing that he's overextended could snap him back to reality and garner a more favorable treaty with the Ottomans before things turn around for the enemy.

Last edited:
I’m expecting Odysseus’ reign to be entirely about eastwards conquests while Athena runs the home front as co-empress in all but name. But Odysseus will burn bright and briefly. He will conquer for a few spectacular years, draw a line, and then abdicate in favour of his sister.