An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

I feel like the Syrian border would follow the rivers near it if possible
Not necessarily the war was conducted by the ottomans with rebel support so its very possible that border isn't really that accurate especially since the "truce" mind you not a peace treaty. Specifically stated that all their gains would be beholden to the one who took it. So the border will be really quite long and disorganised, a benefit for the Romans when the truce expires.

Cryostorm

Donor
Not necessarily the war was conducted by the ottomans with rebel support so its very possible that border isn't really that accurate especially since the "truce" mind you not a peace treaty. Specifically stated that all their gains would be beholden to the one who took it. So the border will be really quite long and disorganised, a benefit for the Romans when the truce expires.
Yeah, this wasn't a border hashed out and agreed to after the diplomats and cartographers went over it. It was essentially everyone ceases to fight and holds what they had at that time, agreeing to work out the issues at a later date.

Would it make sense to formally Integrate the Anazzah lands into the empire or should they be reinstated as vassal. (Or they could become a despotate)

Would it make sense to formally Integrate the Anazzah lands into the empire or should they be reinstated as vassal. (Or they could become a despotate)

I can't recall the comparison, but I recall that before they were ravaged the Anizzah were a Great Lordship, which might be more autonomous than a Despotate, though I'm not entirely sure. However, they aren't exactly in top form at the moment so that relationship might radically change, especially if there are any new, charismatic, Romanophilic arrivals, or candidates arising from the survivors.

I can't recall the faith of the Anizzah either, but if they are in any way Christian, they're probably the better candidate over the Romans or Ethiopians to snag Mecca and Medina from the Ottoman sphere. Not at all suggesting they're in any place to do so currently, but I expect that Hedjaz is going to be a big part of the next Roman war against the Ottomans, considering the importance of securing the Red Sea. The Anizzah are probably more tolerable as potential Christian rulers go, over the Romans or Ethiopians. At least they're Arabs. That probably wouldn't cause the same storm that the Romans taking Mecca would cause.

Depending on their relationship going further, the idea of the Despotate of Arabia is potentially something worth dangling in the area, to see who'd be willing to fight for that title. Might even be worth dangling recognition as the rulers of Arabia in a Serbia-esque situation, unification then independence. A nominally Christian, Allied Arabia is a potential coup in the same respect as the situation in the Balkans. Wouldn't be cheap to see done, but cheaper than direct rule, and secures trade.

I remember one time during the reign of Andres nikitas the hedjas was basically an informal vassal. Perhaps it could become a good place to deport the sunni arabs from mesopotamia and the levant rather than just murdering them all

Cryostorm

Donor
I remember one time during the reign of Andres nikitas the hedjas was basically an informal vassal. Perhaps it could become a good place to deport the sunni arabs from mesopotamia and the levant rather than just murdering them all
Problem with that is the Hedjaz can't support that many people, not even just those from the Levant. In my opinion the country that could most benefit and should try to take them in is the Marinid Sultanate. It would help them recover from the loss of Andalucia, give them a larger Arabic population, and could be used to settle and consolidate their hold on Western Africa. Rhomania wouldn't mind since Western Africa may as well be the moon for all the importance it is to them, even better the Marinid Sultanate are no friends of Spain or the Triunes. Once Rhomania and Carthage regain the Tunisian hinterland then there really isn't any reason for Rhomania and the Marinids, or any Arab-Berber state, to be enemies and would actually be better off as at least respectful neutrals.

Last edited:
Problem with that is the Hedjaz can't support that many people, not even just those from the Levant. In my opinion the country that could most benefit and should try to take them in is the Marinid Sultanate. It would help them recover from the loss of Andalucia, give them a larger Arabic population, and could be used to settle and consolidate their hold on Western Africa. Rhomania wouldn't mind since Western Africa may as well be the moon for all the importance it is to them, even better the Marinid Sultanate are no friends of Spain or the Triunes. Once Rhomania and Carthage regain the Tunisian hinterland then there really isn't any reason for Rhomania and the Marinids, or any Arab-Berber state, to be enemies and would actually be better off as at least respectful neutrals.
Sicillian slaves are captured by them pretty often so i imagine they would be pretty upset with the Romans stopping their anti piracy policy. Plus they would most likely use their strategic ally of the kingdom of the isles

Sicillian slaves are captured by them pretty often so i imagine they would be pretty upset with the Romans stopping their anti piracy policy. Plus they would most likely use their strategic ally of the kingdom of the isles
Exactly the Romans wouldn't want a strong marinids who could potentially be more troublesome by taking those angry people. The Kingdom of the Isle is not really strong but I guess if it wants to stay independent and free of spanish, and arles. Having some Roman support in case they try something stupid would be a lifesaver.

I'm pretty sure its just the floaty part. No Hinterland. What would be the hinterland is under Sicilian occupation.

The problem isn't really that. The Venetian lagoon looks like this:
220px-Venedig-lagune.png
So there a ton of islands, of which only one is Venice (the big island inside the lagoon). Which of the other islands are Roman?

You don't. You make them walk through the desert up to tripolitania.
Guess what's between Mesopotamia and Tripolitania? Egypt, and Egypt is just going to nope out of it (justifiable, given their recent experiences). So you would need tons of boats. Well guess what? No one is going to offer enough boats for an endeavour like this.

I fail to see how that is Rhomania’s problem.

On one hand I get the point, on the other, you have to account for the fact that you'd immediately see brutal raiding a pillaging. Chaos in Arabia is NOT a good goal for the Romans. If the Hedjaz collapses into civil war, then you don't know what will come out of it in the end.

Doubly so when you realise that the Hedjaz is a great place to raid Roman shipping from. If the option is civil war, or letting bandits get away with raiding Roman shipping? The latter will be chosen.

Does the Syrian frontier look right @Basileus444? The map that was there in your update regarding the Demetrian Truce was rather low-res, so I fear I may have veered a little off-track concerning this border.

From north to south, the cities on the mainland are Aleppo, Antioch, Beirut (which I will remove from the final map because I mistook it for Tyre), Sidon, Tyre, Acre and Gaza. The city on Cyprus is Nicosia.
It seems that Tripoli was forgotten in the list. Between Antioch and Beurut

Am i remembering correctly that the Armeniac theme has a very small amount of Armenians? If true what are the demographics of the region? Mostly Kurds, Arabs Turks and a few Assyrians? What caused the Armenians to leave their homeland in such large numbers?

On one hand I get the point, on the other, you have to account for the fact that you'd immediately see brutal raiding a pillaging. Chaos in Arabia is NOT a good goal for the Romans. If the Hedjaz collapses into civil war, then you don't know what will come out of it in the end.

Doubly so when you realise that the Hedjaz is a great place to raid Roman shipping from. If the option is civil war, or letting bandits get away with raiding Roman shipping? The latter will be chosen.

Yeah, I was being a bit cheeky. Dumping millions of people anywhere is going to be a problem, especially in areas can’t support them.

I imagine most of the Arab Rhoman diaspora will be heading east into the ottoman empire which will further destabilize them following the war of the wrath. If only St Theadoros were around to stop the senseless violence of the Rhoman government against their own subjects.

Do you think there's anyone crazy enough to attempt to name and organize all 171 kephalates?

Yes, and unfortunately that person is me. Here is a day's worth of researching a number of prominent cities of Rhomania, sorted into the multiple themes, with modern-day and historical names attached. It does come with the caveat that 1) many of these cities were destroyed over the years and replaced by new ones in the vicinity and I had to assume the cities were rebuilt ITTL; 2) the cities' names did not change over the years, the spelling isn't particularly standardized; 3) I had to assume the number of kephalates assigned to each mesazon were not equal across the board, as some regions were smaller or less populated than others. I had to get creative as the borders weren't clear from the maps I used, but I was able to approximate which cities fell in which theme from the spreadsheet.

Please feel free to correct and modify this list for your own reference, @Basileus444 , and keep up the fantastic work!

Wow, very impressive. Thanks for doing that. It’s especially impressive since I just choose 171 solely because averaged out that’s one district for every 100,000 or so people.

I hate to disappoint you then but you put 49 cities in there (first line are descriptions).

In the immortal words of General Jack O’Neill, close enough.

@Basileus444, I did some digging and found some more population statistics. However, they seem a little... weird. See for yourself.

Poor poor Antioch.

OOC, it’s from me not paying attention to previous figures of mine. But early modern cities were population sinks. They didn’t grow of their accord, but did so by increased immigration from the countryside. So just one or two big natural disasters, earthquake, fire, plague, or famine can explain why Antioch’s been pretty much flat the past 200 years.

Question: what is the current geographical extent of the Kephalate of Venetia?

For that matter, how big is the Livorno exclave?
One more question:

Does this mean that the Romans have integrated Civitavecchia into the Empire directly? If so, how big is this exclave?

For Venetia, it’s all of the lagoon but none of the mainland. As for Livorno and Civitavecchia, I haven’t decided yet. I’m only now settling all the details for post-war Italy.

Does the Syrian frontier look right @Basileus444? The map that was there in your update regarding the Demetrian Truce was rather low-res, so I fear I may have veered a little off-track concerning this border.

From north to south, the cities on the mainland are Aleppo, Antioch, Tripoli,Beirut (which I will remove from the final map because I mistook it for Tyre), Sidon, Tyre, Acre and Gaza. The city on Cyprus is Nicosia.

Looks right. The border isn’t a solid logical line anyway, but a frequently violated truce marker.

It’d be “rewarding” a loyal vassal, that’s currently sitting in northern Mesopotamia and that’s provided a century of good service, by taking away all of their holdings.

I can't recall the comparison, but I recall that before they were ravaged the Anizzah were a Great Lordship, which might be more autonomous than a Despotate, though I'm not entirely sure. However, they aren't exactly in top form at the moment so that relationship might radically change, especially if there are any new, charismatic, Romanophilic arrivals, or candidates arising from the survivors.

I can't recall the faith of the Anizzah either, but if they are in any way Christian, they're probably the better candidate over the Romans or Ethiopians to snag Mecca and Medina from the Ottoman sphere. Not at all suggesting they're in any place to do so currently, but I expect that Hedjaz is going to be a big part of the next Roman war against the Ottomans, considering the importance of securing the Red Sea. The Anizzah are probably more tolerable as potential Christian rulers go, over the Romans or Ethiopians. At least they're Arabs. That probably wouldn't cause the same storm that the Romans taking Mecca would cause.

Depending on their relationship going further, the idea of the Despotate of Arabia is potentially something worth dangling in the area, to see who'd be willing to fight for that title. Might even be worth dangling recognition as the rulers of Arabia in a Serbia-esque situation, unification then independence. A nominally Christian, Allied Arabia is a potential coup in the same respect as the situation in the Balkans. Wouldn't be cheap to see done, but cheaper than direct rule, and secures trade.

Anizzah are Orthodox Christians. But frankly I don’t see a Roman puppet ruling the Holy Cities of Islam, particularly a Christian puppet, being any more tolerable to the Dar al-Islam than Roman direct rule.

Syrian Muslims and expulsions: Marching them off into Hedjaz (which can’t feed them) or across the coast of North Africa (because there aren’t enough ships) would work, but it’d be the von Trotha solution.

It’s going to be ugly.