An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

I thought Zeng's mostly a trade partner,it's the Timurids that they raid against.As for pissing off the Chinese,they probably did cause some historical enmities with the Chinese--which eventually lead to the Pearl Harbor style attack in the future world war.The Romans are almost like the equivalent of Japan in this timeline in that they behaved like the Wakou.

Didn't he later say that update was non-cannon?
I remember that after Pyrgos relations with the Zeng cooled after they executed a Roman "Ship Lord" for smuggling.

@Han empire

Thanks for the answers! Hopefully i'm not over-questioning you:D

If Carthaginian is going to be Greek, Italian, and Arabic, which will be the base grammar? (Maltese is Italian and Arabic, but with Arabic grammar, sort of how English is north sea German and Latin with German grammar)

@Han empire

Thanks for the answers! Hopefully i'm not over-questioning you:D

If Carthaginian is going to be Greek, Italian, and Arabic, which will be the base grammar? (Maltese is Italian and Arabic, but with Arabic grammar, sort of how English is north sea German and Latin with German grammar)

Apparently Ligurian italian, from what b444 said.

Wow, do you know what this means?

this

means

that

we

will

have

a

surviving

form

of

UNIQUE ROMANCE LANGUAGES IN NORTH AFRICA!!!!! HELL YEAH!!!!!

Let's hope that "Carthage" survives in ttl's modern times :D

Thanks and good bacon,
swagmiester

Is it taboo to do that on this forum?

I wanted to show my excitement about an actual unique romance language in north Africa. NOBODY has done a timeline about this. GOD DAMN NOBODY. My alt history dream has come true!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Darthfanta: Don’t worry; Helena the Younger’s husband brings much more to the table than just a pretty face.
/
JackExpo: The current Roman possession of the Black Stone will end…eventually. That does not, however, preclude the possibility of the Romans taking it again. Maintaining control of the Red Sea is important to the White Palace and Mecca is not that far away.
/
Brokenman: I’m planning for an interlude update devoted solely to the New World, although when exactly that will be placed I have not decided. As for ‘First World War’, that is not the contemporary term but one applied after the Peninsular War. View it as if all the historical commentary of the Seven Years War being the first world war was accepted by general practice.
/
Sh3baproject: Cossack-stan is here to stay. However it may border an independent Xinjiang that never was conquered by China (no Qing dynasty). Although to be honest after the fall of the Timurid Empire Central Asia has fallen off my mental map for the most part.
/
Swag of the swag: See below. HanEmpire covered most of them and I’ll just a few details here and there.
/
City populations: Can’t answer that question even close to its entirety. But the largest cities are Beijing (600,000), Vijayanagara (450,000), Constantinople (320,000), Paris (250,000), and Texcoco (225,000). Thessaloniki, Milan, Genoa, Antioch, Guangzhou, Baghdad, and London are all in the 150-170,000 range. In the 120-149,000 range are Palermo, Naples, Rome, Florence, Lisbon, Cordoba, Rayy, and Marselha. In the 80-119,000 range are Smyrna, Nicaea, Messina, Seville, Mbanza Kongo, Alexandria, Sijilmasa, Munich, Hamburg, Lubeck, Cologne, and Malacca.
/
There are also undoubtedly many Indian, Chinese, and Japanese cities who should also be in the above list, but with my lack of knowledge any selection and population I would make would be purely arbitrary guesswork.
/
Danube and Vlachs: See HanEmpire’s posts.
/
Levant: The centers of Greek Orthodoxy in the Levant are Antioch, Aleppo, Tyre, and Acre, which at this point ITTL are as Greek and Orthodox as Smyrna. The area will be a mix with the details undetermined, but more Greek the closer one is to those four cities and to the coast.
/
Mesopotamia: The area is Turkish-majority north, Arabic-majority south (also Shiite), and mixed center.
/
Andalus/Maghreb: See HanEmpire’s posts. Carthaginian is a wholly TTL creation and is the lingua franca of northern Tunisia, although the first grammar was written within living memory. Its base grammar and script is Ligurian, with a big helping of Maghrebi Arabic loan words and some Greek. As for Libya, the Romans really couldn’t care less about it. But if they still hold it when oil is discovered that would change drastically.
/
Egypt: See HanEmpire’s posts.
/
Russian Far East: It will look similar to OTL. I don’t have the creativity, imagination, knowledge or time to significantly alter all of the world, so areas where my knowledge is limited won’t get a lot of attention and likely won’t see too much change from OTL. I would like to dial back the focus of the TL to center back more on the Roman Empire. It would help from overloading my imagination and help get this TL moving faster. It’s progressed something like 50 TL years in the past calendar year. At this rate I won’t get to the present day before the 2020s.
/
Japan: Japan is currently divided between whatever the Ainu still hold, the Azai who control Honshu, and the Shimazu who control Kyushu and Shikoku.
/
Asian colonies: Not going to happen. My Korea idea was not workable and is in the trash bin.
/
Mongols: Probably not.
/
US: No spoilers.
/
Dalmatia: That is undetermined but HanEmpire’s analysis is accurate.
/
The rest: HanEmpire covered them.
/
HanEmpire: Thank you for helping me out here. I appreciate it.
/
Status of China: It’s a bloody mess. The Zeng control the south, the Tieh are holding out in Sichuan, and the north again answers to a Mongol Khan. The Romans are loving it, and are cozying up to the Khan.
/
The Romans raided the Tieh incessantly, so relations there are really bad. Relations though with the Zeng are poor (two of the Four Incidents have happened already). The problem with Sino-Roman relations is that both think they are the center of the universe and so get rather irritated with the other. Plus here the Romans are acting like Italians to China’s Byzantium.
/
Teasers for the next updates:
1) Second half of economic/cultural interlude
2) The Dreams of Demetrios II
3) The Sadistic Sea
4) Redheads
5) Strawberry jam and a clot of blood
6) Dragon-fire

@b444

thanks for explaining what you could! i'm not asking for anyone to make miracles, but its good to know some stuff that would otherwise be left uncovered. This alt history is probably the best of the site:D. I do hope the timeline starts moving faster though, so skipping Siberia is no problemo. You probably should start thinking on wether there will be an arles-aragon union in the future :p

@frustrated progressive

thanks for the tip! :)

Thanks and good bacon,
Swagmiester

Last edited:
oh wait, this reminds me

if ttl Spain is castile and Portugal, then which will be the dominate language on the home territory? In the Azores, Canaries, and Madeira? and especially in otl southern Brazil and Argentina? (and future colonies)

thanks and good bacon,
Swagmiester

oh wait, this reminds me

if ttl Spain is castile and Portugal, then which will be the dominate language on the home territory? In the Azores, Canaries, and Madeira? and especially in otl southern Brazil and Argentina? (and future colonies)

thanks and good bacon,
Swagmiester

It'd be Castilian. They are the ones who have been providing the manpower for Portuguese colonial ventures since long before the Personal Union occurred, so it stands to reason that they outnumber the Portuguese in the colonies.

It'd be Castilian. They are the ones who have been providing the manpower for Portuguese colonial ventures since long before the Personal Union occurred, so it stands to reason that they outnumber the Portuguese in the colonies.

That... doesn't sound accurate.

Well, I agree that Castillian would be the main language of the Union, there are simply more Castillians after all and they are the undisputed most powerful of the four kingdoms in Iberia on the land.

However they don't have a port. Best they got is La Coruna, where Galicians live, and their dialect is very similar to Portuguese. It's far far more likely that the colonies speak Portuguese and will continue to speak Portuguese even after Portugal starts speaking Castillian (such will be how new world 'Spanish' and old world 'Spanish' will be different, including the new native American words). The Portuguese are the sailors, something Castile has next to no experience with. They are the ones staffing the ships and sailing to the colonies. Civilians won't be migrating to the colonies from the interior for a long time as most people on boats have to be sailors since transporting people won't be very profitable for a long time unless you are transporting slaves and even then once it does become profitable it will only do so because they are transporting Indentured Servants. Most colonization and immigration will happen as incident by just individual sailors deciding to stay in the colonies.

@evil prodigy

That's what i was thinking, but how does the castillian manpower factor in?
Maybe b444 should clear this up?

thanks and good bacon,
Swagmiester

Deleted member 67076

That... doesn't sound accurate.

Well, I agree that Castillian would be the main language of the Union, there are simply more Castillians after all and they are the undisputed most powerful of the four kingdoms in Iberia on the land.

However they don't have a port. Best they got is La Coruna, where Galicians live, and their dialect is very similar to Portuguese. It's far far more likely that the colonies speak Portuguese and will continue to speak Portuguese even after Portugal starts speaking Castillian (such will be how new world 'Spanish' and old world 'Spanish' will be different, including the new native American words). The Portuguese are the sailors, something Castile has next to no experience with. They are the ones staffing the ships and sailing to the colonies. Civilians won't be migrating to the colonies from the interior for a long time as most people on boats have to be sailors since transporting people won't be very profitable for a long time unless you are transporting slaves and even then once it does become profitable it will only do so because they are transporting Indentured Servants. Most colonization and immigration will happen as incident by just individual sailors deciding to stay in the colonies.

Its worth pointing out Portugal hired thousands of Castilian Sailors IOTL to serve in their fleets and here that's going to skyrocket as many poor Castilians have easy access to the navy for opportunities. I still see the colonies have a strong Castilian flavor to them as time passes.

Its worth pointing out Portugal hired thousands of Castilian Sailors IOTL to serve in their fleets and here that's going to skyrocket as many poor Castilians have easy access to the navy for opportunities. I still see the colonies have a strong Castilian flavor to them as time passes.

That was in a TL where Castile controlled a coastline that had some of the largest most important ports in Europe and the world.

ITTL cities that are either on the water or heavily involved with the water like Cadiz, Sevilla, Granada, Murcia, Cartagena, Malaga, and more are a part of Granada. They don't have many sailors, at all, so Portugal won't have 'thousands of Castilian Sailors' because what ones do exist will be along the northern coast where the ports are far less used, rich, numerous, and populous.