Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the Panther or Tiger in lieu of the Pz Iv?

Also how would availability of access to western equipment change a potential upgrade of a T - 34 / 85? I'm thinking the former Yugoslavia may have gone this route...

The Panther suffers from a number of issues that any long term use would require fixing, the transmission was only rated for something 10-15 tons less, the final drives tended to fail, and the engine is underpowered. So the amount of work necessary to keep it going is likely to be more trouble than its worth, which is why the French never modified theirs at all. The Tiger isn't quite as bad, but would be woefully out of date by the end of WWII, with the design not really able to handle much more unless it was drastically changed. And both the Tiger and Panther are quite large, so they may not be the most practical of vehicles to use anyway.

As for the T-34/85, the Yugoslavians had a reverse engineered copy of it, the Vozilo A, while the Vozilo B was a version of it mounting an American 90mm gun and mantlet off of one of the American tanks they were operating (IIRC either an M47 or an M36), and I believe they had several SPG projects based on both the Sherman and T-34/85, although not much is known about those projects. About the only thing I think would change if there was access to western technology would be guns/armament, as there's only so much you can do with the chassis, either as a tank itself or as a platform for an SPG.

Hi guys. Congrats on the second incarnation of the thread Claymore!

As some of you may already know, thanks to the efforts of fresh.co.il (link in Hebrew), the "Pereh" (פרא = Wild) tank was finally declassified by the IDF yesterday (cencorship had to give up eventually with pictures of the tank poping in the news in increasing numbers over tha past few years). Not so much a tank in that it's "gun" is a fake, and the real deal happens at the "rear" of the turret - 12 Spike NLOS "Tamuz" ATGMs used for precision targeting of enemy targets, be they a fixed rocket launcher at the Gaza Strip, or the Pereh's original goal of rapidly destroying advancing Syrian armour columns.

The tank uses an M48 Patton tank's hull, upgraded with 4th gen armour to help the launcher survive the dangers of a modern battlefield, which risks the earlier version, being based on the M113 APC in Israel and other lightly armoured vehicles around the world.

Now on fresh.co.il out of the conversation sprung up the question of making the next logical step and basing the system on a Merkava hull for easing up the logistics over all. Naturally it's cheaper to use old M48 hulls (left untouched after thier original turrets were given to the newer Magach versions), than to take away from the IDF's Merkava production line preciouse room for a relatively small number of Pereh tanks, at least with the curreent budget and rate of manufactoring.

Which brings me to ask a non-relevant question to that site, here: During the 1960's the IDF was contemplating basing it's future tank on a tank's gun concept, or an ATGM concept. In out timeline, the IDF had chosen the former. But what if it didn't? What would an earlier Pereh tank look like had it been the norm starting in the mid-1970's-early 1980's with the introduction of a Spike ATGM based Merkava tank? How, if at all, would this affect the development of tanks in other countries? What would an early Merkava model look with a turret designed for launcing of ATGM's, rather than for firing a tank's gun? I am not talking about a light tank like the Sheridan, but more along the lines of an IT-1 or Jaguar 2. Main difference being that the vehicle is meant to be the main battle platform, rather than a supporting Tank Destroyer.

Thoughts?

Hey Clint good to hear from you and thanks.

An interesting proposition and one that I will give some thought to. :)

Last edited:
I have a couple of questions for my fellow tread heads:

The M - 4 Sherman was fairly extensively upgraded during the course of the Cold War and I wanted to know what its counterparts say a Panzer IV and T - 34 / 85 would look like in the mid to late 1960s?

Anyone care to have a go?

I'll give it some thought and have a play. :) However...

Problem is, to do all of those things in order to make a Pz.Kpfw. IV viable, you're much better off just putting the time and money into a whole new tank or vehicle built for that role from the ground up. As I mentioned, the Pz.Kpfw. IV's suspension was already at the breaking point with the later models, there isn't much you can do to fix that without a whole new suspension, engine, transmission, etc, at which point you've put so much money and man hours into reworking it, that a new vehicle could have been purpose built.

As LiB says, there comes a point where the gain in retro-fitting / upgrading old hulls is outweighed by the practicality/maintenance/cost of keeping that hull serviceable and the degree of work needed to alter a hull that was designed to do something different. At that point it becomes cheaper and more practical to design something new. That is why the modern OTL world is not full of Pz IVs and Sherman tanks. :p

Claymore or LIB you guys know of any good books that deal with armored cars? I'm looking for anything from WWI to the Cold War.

Sorry, nothing specific. My George Bradford books have a good selection of WW1, WW2 and Cold War armoured car line drawings. If one takes my fancy, I tend then to use the interweb to look it up to get the necessary details.

I'll give it some thought and have a play. :) However...

As LiB says, there comes a point where the gain in retro-fitting / upgrading old hulls is outweighed by the practicality/maintenance/cost of keeping that hull serviceable and the degree of work needed to alter a hull that was designed to do something different. At that point it becomes cheaper and more practical to design something new. That is why the modern OTL world is not full of Pz IVs and Sherman tanks. :p

Understand, after all as we say in my line of work we want to avoid overcapitalisation.

Looking forward to it.

Hey Clint good to hear from you and thanks.

An interesting proposition and one that I will give some thought to. :)

Having a think about this over a cup of coffee, I am inclined to go down the route that the development of ATGM tanks would rapidly see the demise of the traditional turret and the introduction of vertical launch ATGMs. The advantages are obvious - much lower profile, lighter weight, more capacity for defensive systems, faster reaction and engagement times.

Most modern vertical launch missiles have a vectored topple system which quickly flips the missile into horizontal flight after being ejected vertically. This toppling action also aligns the missile onto the correct azimuth for its attack vector.

For the IDF, I could see an AFV looking not unlike the Namur but with a battery of verticle launch ATGMs where the troop compartment would normally be.

There would still be a need for some sort of target acquisition system on the vehicle itself but this could be augmented by a data-linked remote system that could provide the necessary extended range coverage.

Just some initial thoughts - coffee's over... :)

Ok I got a new mess of Alt AFVs, light tanks today. Remember these are ground up designs in ITL verse they are for not trying to shoehorn shit.

Based off the Panzer I Hull with T-70 Turret
Main Armament: 3.7cm Pak 36
Secondary Armament: MG 18 TuG (Commander’s Hatch), Maxim Machine Gun (Co-axial)

Based off the Panzer 38(t)hull with T-80 Turret(No rivits)
Main Armament: 7.5cm KwK 37 (A Models), Flamethrower (B Models)
Secondary Armament: DShK (Commander’s Hatch), MG3 (Co-axial)

Based off the T-50
Main Armament: 5cm Pak 39 (A Model), 7.5cm KwK 37 (B Model), Flamethrower (C Model)

Based off the M24 Chaffee(Hull) with LTTB Turret
Main Armament: A light weight 7.5cm gun

Based off the M41 Walker Bulldog Hull with a Ru-251 Turret
Main Armament: 8cm PAW 800

Last edited:
StuG version of my modified Pz.III/IV. Used front end of a Jagdpanther.
Questions, was the Pz.III/IV suspension superior to the Pz.IV? How much more weight could it have possibly handled and could the Kw.k 42 L/70 possibly fit in this TD?

ISOT Pz-III IV - StuG+.jpg

Last edited:
Having a think about this over a cup of coffee, I am inclined to go down the route that the development of ATGM tanks would rapidly see the demise of the traditional turret and the introduction of vertical launch ATGMs. The advantages are obvious - much lower profile, lighter weight, more capacity for defensive systems, faster reaction and engagement times.

Most modern vertical launch missiles have a vectored topple system which quickly flips the missile into horizontal flight after being ejected vertically. This toppling action also aligns the missile onto the correct azimuth for its attack vector.

For the IDF, I could see an AFV looking not unlike the Namur but with a battery of verticle launch ATGMs where the troop compartment would normally be.

There would still be a need for some sort of target acquisition system on the vehicle itself but this could be augmented by a data-linked remote system that could provide the necessary extended range coverage.

Just some initial thoughts - coffee's over... :)

It would need to be more than 12 launchers, and with a corridor for the driver to reach the rear door. The loader is possibly out. He has nothing to load, and the TC/gunner can work the radio. Without a turret, or ammo at the back, the driver can be moved to the back of the engine, with a corridor from his position to the rear door. Say a cross with a long corridor from the driver to the back being one axis, and the gunner/missile aimer and TC in the middle being the other, seperating 4 groups of missiles. That way each of the crew can move without bothering the other two. Above each crew there is a hatce - Gunner and TC have an MG, In the middle or next to the TC a mortar. The crew can leave through the hatches or through the rear door, so if the tank is flipped or falls back there is an escape either way.

Rough Layout.png

That can work.

Rough Layout.png

Ok I new mess of Alt AFVs, light tanks today. Remember these are ground up designs in ITL verse they are for not trying to shoehorn shit.

<snip>
odoJVUg.gif

Ok I got a new mess of Alt AFVs, light tanks today. Remember these are ground up designs in ITL verse they are for not trying to shoehorn shit.

Based off the Panzer 38(t)hull with T-80 Turret(No rivits)
Main Armament: 7.5cm KwK 37 (A Models), Flamethrower (B Models)

Based off the T-50
Main Armament: 5cm Pak 39 (A Model), 7.5cm KwK 37 (B Model), Flamethrower (C Model)

Based off the M24 Chaffee(Hull) with LTTB Turret
Main Armament: A light weight 7.5cm gun

Based off the M41 Walker Bulldog Hull with a Ru-251 Turret
Main Armament: 8cm PAW 800

Careful, the LTTB turret in WoT is a fabrication, as no turret was ever designed or developed for the vehicle, only the chassis. And I'm not sure there are enough pictures and such of the Ru 251 to put its turret on the M41.

StuG version of my modified Pz.III/IV. Used front end of a Jagdpanther.
Questions, was the Pz.III/IV suspension superior to the Pz.IV? How much more weight could it have possibly handled and could the Kw.k 42 L/70 possibly fit in this TD?

It could probably have handled the 7.5cm L/70, although I don't know how much more stable the suspension would have been. If you moved the turret back far enough and made the turret slightly larger, you might even be able to get the 7.5cm L/70 in the turret.

Careful, the LTTB turret in WoT is a fabrication, as no turret was ever designed or developed for the vehicle, only the chassis. And I'm not sure there are enough pictures and such of the Ru 251 to put its turret on the M41.
Given the pure numbers of AFVs I'm going to be creating for this TL I'm more than likely going to have to borrow things from WOT. Because I got the major nations who can field everything from armored car designs to heavies. Then you got the minor players who have lights, mediums, armored cars, and SPGs of their own. Its going to be a massive armored party with everyone and their brother and mother having tanks. But I'm open to ideas.

It could probably have handled the 7.5cm L/70, although I don't know how much more stable the suspension would have been. If you moved the turret back far enough and made the turret slightly larger, you might even be able to get the 7.5cm L/70 in the turret.
Interesting and thanks. :)

Nothing wrong with stealing well. Everything you guys do goes in a rpg/skirmish weird war two campaign I'm working on. The players get to see what's shooting at them. Or crushing the new car they just bought...

This is in Panzer Tracts 20-1:
023_zpskuwt32xd.png
Dam except for the front glacis plate and the gun mantlet, they're pretty dam close. I may be changing the suspension to rear drive or swapping it out with a US suspension though and the character in BIDSG TL is some what knowledgeable about WWII weapons so he could use the pz.III/IV as the basis for building on.

Status
Not open for further replies.