Alternate pets

Hamster crap wouldn't be as toxic as the byproducts of gas and coal. All you need for fuel is vegetables and grain (or whatever hamsters eat). Thus, we'd have our long term goal realized: a renewable energy source. Plus, you could always eat the hamsters when they get old (more food in the world is always a good thing). Dang, this is a great idea.. why isn't the government throwing billions of dollars into research to create giant hamsters? Let's all get a petition together and send it to Bush....

SurfNTurfStraha said:
giant hamsters are destructive on a scale only a Shoggoth or Cthulu could equal.

We should mention that in the petition. You know how keen the Republicans are on Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Well so long as they're the only ones to have them.

The Humble Tortoise

How about turtles? What would be needed to get them as a popular type of pet? Granted, most people have a slight aversion to reptiles, but there might be other ways around that.

Alasdair Czyrnyj said:
How about turtles? What would be needed to get them as a popular type of pet? Granted, most people have a slight aversion to reptiles, but there might be other ways around that.

Tsk, turtles aren't reptiles.

Anyway, in Southern France, the Teenage Mutant Turtles craze caused every child to get a turtle, but eventually most grew bored with them and released them, causing a serious upsetting of the natural balance as they went forth and multiplied, having no predators.

Straha

Banned
Landshark said:
We should mention that in the petition. You know how keen the Republicans are on Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Well so long as they're the only ones to have them.
*sigh* a shoggoth or Cthulu would make WMDs look weak...

Huh? what? turtles aren't reptiles? since when? My dictionary says they're reptiles. My field guide to western reptiles has turtles in it. At least 3 other books in my living room say turtles are reptiles. Have they been reclassified sometime recently, or are you thinking of some other critter?
Turtles used to be very popular as pets... the main one, some kind of slider turtle, IIRC, was becoming endangered because so many of their young were being grabbed for the pet trade. The pet store I worked in once regularly had turtles for sale.

I've been thinking about this for some time. In my opinion, the reason cats and dogs became popular is that they were easily domesticated, small, and could be easily trained to herd animals, attack people, kill vermin. With most everything in the mouse/rat/hamster family, they are all essentially one step above being vermin themselves. Birds are a possibility, but they generally didn't get large or smart enough in the "cradles of civilization" to be much use. With most everything from reptiles downward, they don't (usually) have the brainpower to be trained. Also, most people instinctively dislike most of these animals. (With reptiles at least, it may be a holdover from the days when they used to eat out shrewlike ancestors).

Just some thoughts