Alternate Electoral Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Elections of 1972 in The Brightest of Days- An American Electoral Timeline. (PoD in 1947)

John Lambert (Democrat)
Michael J. Gold (Republican)
Nicholas Trelawney (Progressive)

1972.PNG

Convinced that in his absence from the Presidency that the political rivalries will tear the young nation apart, and urged on by his cabinet members, Washington eventually agrees to serve a third term, despite having initially wished to retire after only the first.
In his third term, Washington presided over the Half-War with France and delivered his Farewell Address, one of the most important and insightful speeches ever given by an American President.
Modern historians believe that Washington was less directly involved in his administration during his third term. Alexander Hamilton is thought to have been especially influential in Washington's decisions, as he had been throughout the first President's second term.

Q1WY9.png

I thought this was an interesting idea, so I decided to do it myself with another of the USA's most lopsided elections, 1972. I gave McGovern all the states Nixon won by a margin of 10% or less, like you did. I expected McGovern to maybe reach triple figures at best.

The result was really unexpected, and I swear I did not do this on purpose... :eek:

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72... with a twist!:D

The 2008 election where John McCain picks a better running mate (Lieberman? Romney? Pawlenty?), a more aggressive campaign on the Republicans' part, Obama picks Edwards as his running mate, and the housing bubble doesn't burst until several months later than our timeline.

Again, all of the states McCain lost by ten points or less he takes.

McCain 301/ Obama 237

2008 electoral map.png

1912: United GOP
genusmap.php

William Howard Taft (R-OH) / Robert La Follette (R-WI) - 268 EV
Woodrow Wilson (D-NJ) / Thomas Marshall (D-IN) - 222 EV
Eugene V. Debs (S-IN) / Emil Seidel (S-WI) - 41 EV

Thande

Donor
The 1892 election if you give James Weaver's Populist ticket all the states he got at least 20% of the popular vote in. Doesn't change the overall result but more than triples the already respectable third party electoral vote from OTL.

Weaver.png

Thande

Donor
Carrying on the theme of boosting third party performances, here is the election of 1848 but with Van Buren's Free Soil ticket winning all the states he got 20% or over in in OTL. This is enough to hang the electoral college, and South Carolina's 9 state legislature-determined electors are not enough to give anyone a majority. Maybe in this timeline the US will get a period of political chaos that is filed under the same heading as the 1848 revolutions by future historians...

Van Buren.png

Thande

Donor
I tried doing Millard Fillmore's Know-Nothing campaign in 1856 using the same rules, but he actually did much better in popular vote terms than I realised--he came second in lots of states, mostly the South due to the Republicans being persona non grata with the slaveholders--so if you give him all the states he got 20% or more in, he actually wins!

Fillmore.png

The Elections of 1840 in American Emperors, A Tale of Alternate Presidents.
Robert Delawney/Edward Wilkinson (Democratic)
Charles Kilkenny/John Appleby (Whig)

Underlined and italicized means winner.

1840.PNG

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
Perot also wins if you give him all the states he got 20% in (at least, if you treat all Maine and Nebraska's votes as one unit, which I did because I didn't have congressional district level results).

Perot's results hovered around 20% for a lot of states so this is quite arbitrary.

Perot.png

The 1976 Presidential Election in my TL. This is the fourth(?) revision I've done to this map thus far.

genusmap.php

Ronald Reagan of California / Senator Richard Schweiker of Pennsylvania (R): 41% (213)
Senator Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota / Jimmy Carter of Georgia (D): 50% (325)
Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota (Independent): 6.6% (0)

The Elections of 1844 in American Emperors, A Tale of Alternate Presidents.
Robert Delawney/Edward Wilkinson (Democratic)
Adam E. Banks/Michael Zachary Adams* (Moderate)
John Appleby/Daniel Shambroke (Whig)

*Not related to John Adams.

This election resulted in an throwing to the Congress, which chose the incumbent.

1844.PNG

Last edited:
Four years later, with Humphrey's Fair Society program in full-swing, Ronald Reagan goes down to the biggest Electoral College defeat in American history.

genusmap.php

President Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota / Vice President Jimmy Carter of Georgia (D): 58.8% (534)
Ronald Reagan of California / George Bush of Texas (R): 40% (4)

Thande

Donor
This election resulted in an Coalition between the Democrats and the Moderates.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/B]

That's not how American presidential elections work. If no-one has a majority in the electoral college, it gets thrown to Congress. A candidate can't just say they'll release their electors to vote for another guy in return for concessions: that's a "corrupt bargain".

That's not how American presidential elections work. If no-one has a majority in the electoral college, it gets thrown to Congress. A candidate can't just say they'll release their electors to vote for another guy in return for concessions: that's a "corrupt bargain".
Good point. I'll change it so it is threw to Congress and the Dems win. After I have my tea...

Tea finished, and post edited.

Last edited:
The Elections of 1848 in American Emperors, A Tale of Alternate Presidents.
Michael Zachary Adams*/Lionel Harbrooke (Moderate)
John Appleby/Daniel Shambroke (Whig)
Edward Wilkinson/Nicholas Tipperary (Democratic)

*Not related to John Adams.

1848.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.