Alt Armstrong first step speech

There is a story that for the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong was having trouble coming up with a suitable first step speech, and NASA is on record as having refused to give him a script. So he was brooding about it on the way out.

At this point the Command Module pilot Michael Collins was apparently advising him that what he should do, on stepping onto the lunar surface was:

1 - Face in a direction the camera could not see.
2 - Say "That's funny, what's that?"
3 - pause
4 - "What, no, no it can't be, no, NO, AHHHHHH!"
5 - Cut transmission.

Clearly this was intended as a joke to cheer up Armstrong, but what if he had ACTUALLY done that.

Keep in mind that President Nixon was waiting to talk to them live on air.

The conspiracy theorists would be going on about it to this day.

Yeah, one group would say that Armstrong never returned and the person we think is Armstrong is an alien in disguise while another would say he was a mind controlled mole helping prepare for an alien invasion.

Saphroneth

Banned
Yeah, one group would say that Armstrong never returned and the person we think is Armstrong is an alien in disguise while another would say he was a mind controlled mole helping prepare for an alien invasion.
Yeah, but at least they'd agree he bloody well got there in the first place. Which might actually be a net plus.

Red Horse

"Jesus f*cking Christ! Is that what I think it is?"

"That swastika's already a dead giveaway."

"HQ, I think we have a little problem here..."

Odd that no one has mentioned the first EVA words of the NEXT Apollo moon landing mission, uttered by Pete Conrad:

Whoopee! Man, that may have been a small one for Neil, but that's a long one for me.

Which he uttered to win a bet with Italian journalist Oriana Fallaci. (She never paid up.)

There was a good deal of luck in how the moon landing assignments worked out. Armstrong's crew got the first landing mainly because of the LM completion delays that forced the switching of the Apollo 8 (Borman) and 9 (McDivitt) crews, which also switched around their backup crews, who on normal rotation would then get promoted to their own missions three launches later. Had that not happened, Conrad would have commanded Apollo 11, rather than Apollo 12.

Which leaves us to wonder whether Conrad would have been so cavalier had he gotten the big assignment.

Odd that no one has mentioned the first EVA words of the NEXT Apollo moon landing mission, uttered by Pete Conrad:

Which he uttered to win a bet with Italian journalist Oriana Fallaci. (She never paid up.)

There was a good deal of luck in how the moon landing assignments worked out. Armstrong's crew got the first landing mainly because of the LM completion delays that forced the switching of the Apollo 8 (Borman) and 9 (McDivitt) crews, which also switched around their backup crews, who on normal rotation would then get promoted to their own missions three launches later. Had that not happened, Conrad would have commanded Apollo 11, rather than Apollo 12.

Which leaves us to wonder whether Conrad would have been so cavalier had he gotten the big assignment.

Supposedly Conrad cursed like a sailor, so once he started training for the Apollo Program NASA brought in a hypnotist who managed to get him to hum instead of swearing. Apparently if you listen to the audio from Apollo 12 he's humming non-stop.

How awkward would it be if the conditioning broke and he dropped the f-bomb on live tv?

"I've had had it with these motherf**king snakes on this motherf**king lander!"

"Are we there yet?"

"There once was a man from Nantucket, who kept all his cash in a bucket. But his daughter, named Nan.... Oh, we are live? Lemme find that speech..... OK, here we go.... This is a small step for a man but giant leap for mankind."

"First!"

U.S David

Banned
"One small step for man.... PLEASE ANYTHING BUT THAT SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!"

"Get that camera out of my face"

"One, oh shit what was I going to say"

"You tell that director over there, I need more makeup"

"You know what Buzz, I voted for Humphrey"

Imagine Nixon hearing that on live TV

"I'm going to walk on the Moon! But first, let me take a selfie."

"Jesus man, I need to take a massive dump. I had some bad chili Janet made. Yes sure, she has great rack and is great in bed but can't cook for shit. And that chili was..... What do you mean "we are live and whole world is listening?" "

*hums* "Arise, the workers of all nations! Arise, oppressed of the earth! For justice thunders condemnation: A better world's in birth!"

"Inb4 Russkies, tee-hee"

"What? I thought you filled the tank for return trip..... I guess we are hitch hiking back."

In all seriousness, what if Armstrong said something political, "i.e. If our great nation can reach the moon, our people can overcome any challenge against any people, and we will achieve victory." How does that affect Nam?