With any pod between 1050 and 1750, how cam we get a unified Caucasus under the Orthodox faith that can repel the Turkic invasions. Two possibilities that come mind are a Georgia that remains unified or a Circassia that decides to rebuild it. What other candidates are there and what major obstacles would need to be overcome before they can become a third Rome?

Last edited:
I would say that unified Georgia would be best way. Not sure if you would need surviving Byzantine for that.

Since the Byzantines were likely to shrink to west Anatolia would it be possible for Georgia to take their place?

Not sure. But you probably make all of surroudning Turkic, Persian and Arab empires waker. Or then why not Byzantine remaining strong enough to repulse Turks back.

Were they the point of no return or did they just soften up Georgia for the Timurids?
Georgia had mostly recovered by the 14th century so a lesser Timur would have allowed for a lot more Georgian success in centuries to come instead of becoming a fractitious bunch of vassals. I think Russia would've been happy to ally with them given their own animosity to the post-Mongol states. At this point in time, many peoples of the Caucasus who later became Muslim still had a large Orthodox element that only the Timurid invasions erased. So what Georgia needs to do is maintain itself as a center of Christianity (including sponsoring missions to tribal lands nearby), ally with the Russians and Balkan states, and navigate the difficult political waters.

Georgia is pretty much the natural cultural center for this considering their historic role in the Caucasus, and how the Christians among the Alans, Circassians, Vainakhs, etc. both looked to Georgia, borrowed from their language and culture, and even to a degree used Georgian script to write their languages.

Georgia is the way to go here, and I think there are multiple options available to be the point of departure.

Make the Byzantines have a more conciliatory policy with the Armenians, who were shunned so badly many became Roman Catholic. If the Armenians are Chalcedonian Orthodox, maybe a Georgian Empire with less strife is possible. Bonus points if the Khazars convert to Orthodoxy and become absorbed into this Empire.

Make the Byzantines have a more conciliatory policy with the Armenians, who were shunned so badly many became Roman Catholic. If the Armenians are Chalcedonian Orthodox, maybe a Georgian Empire with less strife is possible. Bonus points if the Khazars convert to Orthodoxy and become absorbed into this Empire.
Would this be in lieu of their converting to Judaism?

from what i know of the history of the region, Georgia being smushed between steppe and Muslim empires meant that any Caucasian empire has a window to appear sometime in the 5th-7th c. and later around the 10th c. Perhaps this unifier of Circassia goes beyond just his homeland and conquers Alania, Abkhazia, etc.?