AHC and WI: McClellan Wins in 1864

OK, so Johnston staying on it is.

Ok so correct me if i'm wrong but this seems to be what we've got so far. PoD is Johnston staying command and after Peachtree doesn't throw away his troops in pointless battles like Hood did. Atlanta hangs on long enough to cost Lincoln the election but falls soon after with Johnston evacuating it. The AoT ends up becoming an "Army in Being" that keeps Sherman from performing his March to the Sea. Meanwhile the Siege of Petersburg goes more or less OTL and is close to how it was OTL but in better shape for the Confederates due to less desertion thanks to McClellan winning. Little Mac takes office with the Confederacy effectively divided in half and Petersburg fairly close to falling. Now the ball is in his court on whether or not to continue the war.

bguy

Donor
Ok so correct me if i'm wrong but this seems to be what we've got so far. PoD is Johnston staying command and after Peachtree doesn't throw away his troops in pointless battles like Hood did. Atlanta hangs on long enough to cost Lincoln the election but falls soon after with Johnston evacuating it. The AoT ends up becoming an "Army in Being" that keeps Sherman from performing his March to the Sea. Meanwhile the Siege of Petersburg goes more or less OTL and is close to how it was OTL but in better shape for the Confederates due to less desertion thanks to McClellan winning. Little Mac takes office with the Confederacy effectively divided in half and Petersburg fairly close to falling. Now the ball is in his court on whether or not to continue the war.

If the siege of Petersburg is still ongoing when McClellan assumes office is there any chance that he personally takes field command of the Army of the Potomac? :eek:

If the siege of Petersburg is still ongoing when McClellan assumes office is there any chance that he personally takes field command of the Army of the Potomac? :eek:

I'm tempted to say no considering he's the president but then again it is Little Mac and I honestly wouldn't put it past him.

Sounds fair enough; another thing to note here is that McClellan will not be running as a War Democrat (meaning, in effect, he's running as a Peace Democrat, even if its the copperheads campaigning for him that make the connection). Also, if McClellan does decide to carry on the war, he has to decide whether to continue it as a war of Emancipation (which his own party will be deadset against); if he abandons Lincoln's policy in this respect, will the Republicans still support the war? These considerations will play into McClellan's decision making, which I think makes it more likely he at least tries to honor the campaign pledge for an armistice.

Sounds fair enough; another thing to note here is that McClellan will not be running as a War Democrat (meaning, in effect, he's running as a Peace Democrat, even if its the copperheads campaigning for him that make the connection). Also, if McClellan does decide to carry on the war, he has to decide whether to continue it as a war of Emancipation (which his own party will be deadset against); if he abandons Lincoln's policy in this respect, will the Republicans still support the war? These considerations will play into McClellan's decision making, which I think makes it more likely he at least tries to honor the campaign pledge for an armistice.
I think he'll put out overtures of peace but'll personally want to end the war knowing how close it is to having the Union win. He may try to negotiate while telling Grant and Sherman to keep fighting full bore before it's too late.

I think he'll put out overtures of peace but'll personally want to end the war knowing how close it is to having the Union win. He may try to negotiate while telling Grant and Sherman to keep fighting full bore before it's too late.

So we come to the final question -- does the CSA have a chance of winning its independence TTL?

So we come to the final question -- does the CSA have a chance of winning its independence TTL?

Yes if Petersburg doesn't fall before negotiations were completed. No if it does while they're in the middle of them.(I could just imagine the looks on the Confederate negotiators faces if that happens).

This Sounds Like The Makings of a Negotiated Peace, to me ...

If Emancipation is out, What Then?

Does The Confederacy, Remain an Independent Nation ...

If Not, Under What Terms, do The Southern States, Return to The Union?