AH Discussion: The Sun Never Sets

I like your POD, making Jack the Ripper King and Emperor of the Empire may reconcile the Indians to longer rule from London. Fear will bring the local systems into line.

Hahaha!

Jokes apart. Actual Albert Victor was a bit more of a Liberal than his Brother or Father. So i guess it won't really hurt the process of reforms in the subcontinent. But then i gotta cook up fictional biographies for alt-universe Edward VIII or a George VI, etc., and i hate making up a story from thin air.

Saphroneth

Banned
I like your POD, making Jack the Ripper King and Emperor of the Empire may reconcile the Indians to longer rule from London. Fear will bring the local systems into line.

Pity they don't have the old, hard-of-hearing, famous Sepoy general Arthur Wellsey any more.

...the Deaf Star.

Just a quick question, what would you guys like to see me touch up on on on the next update. Frankly i am getting tired of writing exclusively about the empire. A little change would be welcome. I can also use the time to help figure out whether to go with George or Jack as the King-Emperor.

So any suggestions?

Just a quick question, what would you guys like to see me touch up on on on the next update. Frankly i am getting tired of writing exclusively about the empire. A little change would be welcome. I can also use the time to help figure out whether to go with George or Jack as the King-Emperor.

So any suggestions?

Well I for one vote for the classic Murder Mystery Weekend with the Royal Family on the Island of Wight. Imagine the fun one could using the Bathing Machine as the murder weapon

Saphroneth

Banned

So any suggestions?
What I'd be interested in is how Russia or Japan are doing. The R-J war is pretty close to due.
That or Europe.

Well I for one vote for the classic Murder Mystery Weekend with the Royal Family on the Island of Wight. Imagine the fun one could using the Bathing Machine as the murder weapon

What I'd be interested in is how Russia or Japan are doing. The R-J war is pretty close to due.
That or Europe.

@Julius vogel

Well the reference doesn't ring a bell. Sorry :/

@Saphroneth

Yeah i guess that could be done. I will cover Europe, Russia, Japan and then the USA in the next update tomorrow.

Regards

Atandra

@Julius vogel

Well the reference doesn't ring a bell. Sorry :/

@Saphroneth

Yeah i guess that could be done. I will cover Europe, Russia, Japan and then the USA in the next update tomorrow.

Regards

Atandra

Oh there is no reference, I just like the idea of a murder mystery vignette. I'm also a little confused about the bathing machine, apparently it was some sort of changing shed on wheels that could move down into the sea. That seems like it has potential.

Saphroneth

Banned
Oh there is no reference, I just like the idea of a murder mystery vignette. I'm also a little confused about the bathing machine, apparently it was some sort of changing shed on wheels that could move down into the sea. That seems like it has potential.

Yes, they were quite common. Late Victorian modesty, coupled with convenience.

So any suggestions?

What countries are beginning to see relevant changes from OTL thanks to the butterflies by now? Obviously China is, where it's been fun to see a more punitive western coalition possibly help it in the long run, but what else?

From discussion in the previous thread, it was indicated that WWI is either vastly different or simply a non-event in this timeline. Addressing the changes that lead to this would also be good, IMO.

Hello,

So this thread has been in stasis for almost a year now. Gosh, i sure do hope it isn't locked by now. And i can't even begin to say how sorry i feel about letting it fade away. And as such i have decided to resurrect it from the dead.

In the interim i have worked out most of the quirks of the TL in the past one year and given that i have some free time on hand, i believe its better i start over with this TL.

I also think it is better if i rework the updates so that they look less like a veritable walls of garbled text. Instead i will try to make it more reader friendly and break it down into easy-to-read small manageable chunks.

The first few updates will be be pretty much the same except for the aforementioned changes to the formatting. As i have a three month long lull in my studies i will try to finish off the TL in that time scale. I will be updating on a daily schedule.

I am really sorry for letting the TL be hung out to dry and as such will redouble my efforts.

I am really thankful for all your support and for all your inputs, criticisms and appreciation. I would also like to thank @Komnenos002 for sending me a PM and convincing me to come back to this TL that we all had come to enjoy.

I will be posting the first revised update within by tuesday evening. Thank you all for your patience. :)

Sincerely,

Atandra

@Stark this used to be the only thread about the TL. It had all the updates. I was planning on starting a story only thread. This time around i will launch the story only thread when i get to about ten updates.

@quinazacity Thank you. Hope you enjoy the TL in its new avatar. :)

I would also like to welcome any inputs regarding the TL, vis a vis any events between 1885 and 1900 that i should cover or that in your opinion have or may have an important effect on the TL as a whole and the course of history ITTL.

Thank you! :)

Atandra

@Stark this used to be the only thread about the TL. It had all the updates. I was planning on starting a story only thread. This time around i will launch the story only thread when i get to about ten updates.
Atandra

Oh, ok. I'll reread it here then :)

The Sun Never Sets

Update 2.0

Excerpt from “Lord Ripon & the Act that wasn’t” an article by Dr. B. C. Banerjee ,

The Hindu, Calcutta Edition, Volume 11, No. 300, Monday, October 27th, 1997, Calcutta, Bengal Province, Dominion of India.

“.. The Illbert bill, or as some like to name it ‘the bill that wasn’t’ [1] is arguably one of the most important bills in the empire never to be passed. A hundred and fourteen years after the matter was discreetly put out to pasture, the bill continues to be a matter of debate among us historians.

… Lord Ripon contemplated introducing the bill in 1883, which, some would say ambitiously, aimed to equate the legal status of Indian native and British justices in the Indian Empire. It provided for prosecution of Her Majesty’s subjects of British origin by Indian native judges. Naturally this was opposed by the British and Anglo-Indian elite as there was an apprehension of being prosecuted by native judges over exploitation of the native workforce in the plantations.

Lord Ripon in consultation with his subordinate Courtenay Illbert, after whom the bill was named, displayed much desired political acumen in refraining from pursuing the bill further and shelving it for later. [2] This helped soothe over many ruffled feathers in the British and Anglo-Indian community and arguably saved his future political career from certain ruin.

… The mainstream view among modern historians is that perhaps this bill, if passed, would have brought about a much earlier acceptance of Indian self-rule. By equating the ‘ruler and the ruled’ it would have brought the Rule of Law and the Rights of Man into the British political consciousness with regards to the Indian subjects and the Indian Empire. [3] Some of us with more radical views herald this bill as a stepping stone to an earlier rise of Indian political organizations and a more decisive shift to demanding complete independence from the Crown. However it could be possible that both these views may be flawed analyses of the course of events to follow.

Firstly, Lord Ripon, who back then had the reputation of being an out-spoken liberal, perhaps could have had his political reputation irreparably damaged by an organized political backlash from the colonial elite. [4] History stands witness to the immensely important role Lord Ripon had later on back in the House of Lords in ensuring that the Indian Empire was much better governed.

… Secondly, as the radicals claim, facing a strong well organized and well-coordinated political opposition would have galvanized the then nascent Indian political groups into actual political parties. This could have led to a much earlier rise of political activism in India. What remains debatable is whether such a ‘decisive shift’ to a demand for self-rule was bound to happen. [5]

… And lastly, perhaps most overlooked is the very divisive effect this law could have had on the elite. This stems from the near unanimous support the bill had, when it was first conceived among the Indian native elite and that was mirrored by an equally entrenched opposition to the bill among the British and Anglo-Indians in India and even back in Parliament. Such divisive bill would have surely created a very polarizing debate centered on it and would have forced many of the supporters of reform of Indian administration in the British Parliament to choose sides. Clearly such a divide would have lessened support for the momentous reforms enacted over the next few decades. It would be to lose the forest for the trees.

…In the end, perhaps it was for the best that we can conclude on the 170th birth anniversary of Lord Ripon that ‘the bill that wasn’t’ was not for the better.”

[1] The alpha-PoD in this TL. OTL Lord Ripon pushes for the Bill.
[2] ITTL he sticks to his guns.
[3] I highly doubt that could ever happen. Not with a Liberal party dying out as it did OTL.
[4] Which actually did happen OTL. And resulted in the premature death of Lord Ripon’s quite remarkable political career
[5] OTL such a shift did happen when the Indian political parties, namely the Indian National Congress realized it was necessary to ensure that the British administration was loathe to reform and change the status quo.

Here is a taste of things to come. Please so tell if you are comfortable with this style, format and size of updates. i will be posting the first update tomorrow :)

Hope you enjoy! :D