A Mozarabic/Romance Granada?

I find the Emirate of Granada to be a fairly interesting state. It was the final remaining rump of the once-so-might al-Andalus, but that didn't make it a backwater by any means. Granada was economically prosperous and culturally vibrant, and Muslims, Christians, and Jews seemingly lived together largely peacefully. The several points mentioned in this thread further make it a fascinating country imo. Of course, Granada ultimately fell to a Spanish invasion, owing to the perceived threat of the Ottomans in the Mediterranean.

I want to explore a surviving Granada, even if it largely exists at the mercy of the Spaniards. But one thing that's noticeable about Granada is that it was fully monolingual in Arabic; even the Christians and Jews used Arabic exclusively. I'm a sucker for Mozarabic, so I wanted to see if there's any way to make Granada... well, not monolingual in Arabic. Either it could retain Mozarabic, or a new Arabized Romance language could develop.

The way I understand it, Mozarabic was already on its way out by the time Muhammad I took power, dying out by the year 1300. If this source is to be believed, Muhammad did not help their cause either:
Mozarab numbers in the conquered territories were bolstered after 1248 when Muhammad ibn al-Ahmar, a staunch defender of Islam and Islamic culture, expelled all remaining Christians from the Emirate of Granada. His reasons were simple. He feared an internal revolt by Mozarabs that would help the Christian forces of Castile-Léon and Arágon if they did decide to invade. The only Christians granted access to Granada were now merchants, prisoners, slaves and disaffected nobles seeking support against their rivals. The only non-Muslim communities within the Emirate of Granada were a few Jewish commercial concerns in the coastal towns.

Assuming this is true, we could say that Muhammad "just" doesn't expel them, but 1) that's handwavium, and 2) it won't help anyway, as the Christians would probably just switch to Arabic either way.

I did some digging and it seems that Muhammad II, the second sultan of Granada, was finalizing an anti-Castilian alliance with Aragon. They were planning to invade Castile and partition their conquests, with Murcia going to Aragon and the rest of what is now OTL Andalusia going to Granada. However, the sultan's son, Muhammad III, poisoned his father before the campaign started because he wanted to accede to the throne and became impatient. And then Granada declined.

Allowing this campaign to go through is probably a solid PoD to ensure Granada's survival. However, it isn't a full solution to the language issue; the Christians who now find themselves living in Granada might just switch over to Arabic anyway.

All in all, I'll probably need a PoD several centuries earlier that emancipates the Mozarabic language in some way, preventing it from being outcompeted by Arabic. This is probably difficult for as long as the Umayyads rule, as they believed Arab-ness was a fundamental aspect of being a Muslim. But if I have the Umayyads replaced by a Muladí dynasty like Omar ben Hafsun, then Granada, Almoravid/Almohad Spain, and pretty much all the gains of Castile, León, Portugal and Aragon are likely butterflied.

So this is where I consult the board: How can I emancipate the Mozarabic language in al-Andalus, to the point that the last remaining rump of Muslim Iberia would use it as a primary language? We don't literally need to end up with OTL Granada; in fact, that might be a detriment to my goal if it's true that Muhammad was "a staunch defender of Islam and Islamic culture". At the simplest level, I'm just trying to obtain a Romance-speaking Muslim kingdom in southern Spain that outlives the rest of al-Andalus and is no bigger than OTL Andalusia at its absolute maximum. I'm aware that this is a highly specific and likely difficult goal to accomplish, but I figure it's worth trying at least.

Granada was economically prosperous
The state's largest economy came from being a commercial bridge between the Catholic kingdoms to the north and the emirates to the south.
and Muslims, Christians, and Jews seemingly lived together largely peacefully.
This is not something factual, it is more of an invented fashion trying to make the idea of Andalus a place of multi-religious tolerance. Moments of peace between Christians and Muslims occurred when one of the groups had supremacy over the other. With peace occurring through strength and not tolerance. In the same way that the reconquista as a great plan created by the Catholic world is an invention of the Spanish right, al-andalus as a land of tolerance was an invention of the left (they occurred during the Spanish civil war).
I want to explore a surviving Granada, even if it largely exists at the mercy of the Spaniards.
no Ottomans, and even then it will depend a lot on who controls Castile, Portugal and Aragon. Granada was alive simply because it was an economic boom to castile . In the same way that Muslims use minorities to generate state wealth, Castile used Granada as a way to generate wealth.
I did some digging and it seems that Muhammad II, the second sultan of Granada, was finalizing an anti-Castilian alliance with Aragon.
In this case we probably have an alliance between Portugal and Castile. Probably in the future with these two countries forming Spain. Depending on the situation in France, they could also enter the war, especially if Castile promises Catalonia to them.
Allowing this campaign to go through is probably a solid PoD to ensure Granada's survival.
Not because they don't have the power to compete with Castile. The kingdom of castile alone has 6 to 7 times the population of aragon. This is considering if there is no interference from other kingdoms. Portugal being one of them because both (Aragon and Portugal) were competing for influence in the court of Castile. Grenada is an interesting nation, but incapable of survival.
How can I emancipate the Mozarabic language in al-Andalus
One of the Muladi revolts succeeds and due to ethnic disputes between the Arabs, Berbers and Muladis, they adopt Mozarabic as a form of ethnic nationalism (perhaps banning Arabic as a language in the country).

Last edited:
I would say that if you want an Islamic Iberia we have some options. The first is a reform of the Caliphate of Cordoba opening space for other ethnic groups, the second is a coup d'état by the Islamic Iberians, the third is Abd al-Aziz ibn Musa ibn Nusayr rebelling against the Umayyad caliphate.

The first is a reform of the Caliphate of Cordoba opening space for other ethnic groups, the second is a coup d'état by the Islamic Iberians
Seems like the best two ideas to me too. Omar ben Hafsún seems like a good contender for the second idea, is there anyone else?

Who could carry out the reforms of the first idea? Maybe Abd al-Rahman III, as he was reportedly fluent in Mozarabic and had a lot of European blood?

I would say that if you want an Islamic Iberia we have some options. The first is a reform of the Caliphate of Cordoba opening space for other ethnic groups, the second is a coup d'état by the Islamic Iberians, the third is Abd al-Aziz ibn Musa ibn Nusayr rebelling against the Umayyad caliphate.
The problem is that Arabic is the language of the Quran, giving it a huge advantage.

Last edited:
The problem is that Arabic is the language of the Quran, giving it a hige advantage.
These options are for a non-Mozarabic Islamic Iberia. As a whole, due to the Quran being Arabic by nature, Islamic cultures will always adopt this language as something important.

Seems like the best two ideas to me too. Omar ben Hafsún seems like a good contender for the second idea, is there anyone else?
He is the best case aside from that we have a clan in the north of the caliphate who were openly pro Romani (Iberian). I don't remember the clan name
Who could carry out the reforms of the first idea? Maybe Abd al-Rahman III, as he was reportedly fluent in Mozarabic and had a lot of European blood?
The biggest problem is the Arab elite was extremely racist and prevented major reforms. So none of the leaders were able to really reform the kingdom. So if you want to keep the story similar to OTL, Omar is the best choice. Because by taking over the caliphade he would massacre the Arab elite and replace it with a mixture of Mozarabs and Muladis (in addition to the Berbers who supported him). From then on you can do whatever you want within reason.

The problem is that Arabic is the language of the Quran, giving it a huge advantage.
People forget that learning multiple languages was far common people think, using both is possible but you need a great speaking base of romance/mozarabic that doesn't feel like an enemy language,a fully united peninsula might be the trick