A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

Chapter One Hundred and Fifty Dollars and Sense
Chapter One Hundred and Fifty

Dollars and Sense

From "The Cotton Economy of the Nineteenth Century" by Jude Mackinnon
Harvard Press 1999

“When we look at the southern economy immediately postbellum it is easy to find a number of factors which caused its persistent lethargy…”

From "The Economic Legacy of the Civil War" by Anne Krychek
Peck University 2013

“The low southern income figures for the post-bellum period have been a perennial puzzle to economic historians…

When great emphasis is placed on the slow growth of the international market for cotton one must not be mistaken about its import. In fact many economists view this as a red herring. The rate of growth of demand in the cotton market certainly declined precipitously but that is less relevant given the price increase. In fact during Lincoln’s second term the price of cotton was higher in both absolute and relative terms compared to the 1859 price…

Rather greater emphasis must be placed on the productive efficiency of the major institutions of southern agriculture and on the effects of emancipation on the labor supply and productivity...

Many former slaves withdrew from the labor force or reduced the hours they were prepared to work. Internal migration within the southern states saw large net reductions of the former slave populations in Virginia, North Carolina and Kentucky. There would be significant increases in South Carolina and Mississippi during this period but in many cases these former slaves eschewed further agricultural based work for urban employment…

It should be borne in mind that agricultural income represented 80% of the total income of the five main cotton states and cotton alone accounted for about half of this share…

The effect of the damage caused by the war itself is often disputed. It is agreed that the war caused enormous destruction, disruption and dislocation of the economy of the south. What is disputed is how persistent this effect would be. Many economists, led by Edmund Walker’s 1960s thesis, believe the economic effect of the Civil War (excluding emancipation and proscription) was negligible by 1868. Yet many other economic historians argue that emancipation, proscription and further the influence of the Bureau of Collections would persist for decades…"​

m-10399.jpg
White and Black sharecroppers in Mississippi

Harvard Press 1999

"The south lost much agricultural expertise, particularly in the management of large scale plantations, through both proscription and through a process of voluntary immigration. The organisation that largely replaced these former plantation owners and farmers, the Bureau of Collectors, did not yet have the expertise or the mechanisms in place to maximise agricultural output in its extensive holdings. “Attorneys and Generals do not good farmers make” Jacob Dolson Cox…

One of the short term solutions the Bureau created was the system of sharecropping. Whether or not this originated with the Bureau or was borrowed from the remaining southern landowners, it would briefly achieve widespread adoption in the South…

The shackling of freedmen and unionist farmers to the debt trap of sharecropping led to the fragmentation of previously efficient large scale plantations. Its effect on overall agricultural productivity was disastrous. Sharecroppers had no incentive to improve output or capital to invest. It would take the intervention of John J. Peck and his Freedmen’s Bureau during the period of 1868 onwards to change this system…

In any event the southern economy stagnated and the dominant agricultural sector did not even achieve antebellum levels of output until the late 1870s…"

From "The Economic Legacy of the Civil War" by Anne Krychek
Peck University 2013

"One must not discount the drag factor on the economy of many horrifically injured and disabled veterans of the Confederate cause. Incapable in many instances of normal employment they would be burden on both their families, their communities, and in the more forgiving states like Virginia and North Carolina their states. It would take a hard fought campaign by another President to improve the lot of the southern veteran…”

From "Committed to Community - The Life of Henry Martin Tupper" by Professor Henry Gates
Palmetto College

“Tupper had planned to serve as a missionary at the end of his education but instead enlisted in the Union Army. He was assigned initially to VI Corps under Isaac Rodman. In that formation he frequently served as a chaplain, ministering to the sick and injured soldiers and organising prayer meetings. It was to fill that role formally that led to his transfer to the II Division of X Corps (“the Green and Blacks”) where he became acquainted with the cause of freedmen and negro veterans that would inspire his later work…

Henry Martin Tupper​

Originally attracted to North Carolina to start negro literacy classes, Henry Martin Tupper [in early 1866] that many of his pupils were migrating to South Carolina. North Carolina’s expatriated population was shielded and shepherded to an unequalled degree by Winfield Scott Hancock. Thus many former slaves sought to take advantage of the land grants and leases on confiscated land in the more congenial atmosphere of South Carolina…

Relocating to Orangeburg Tupper began teaching literacy classes to the local freedmen.In many ways this is considered to be the founding of Palmetto College. During the period 1866 to 1868 Tupper was intimately involved with the local Freedmen’s Bureau organisation. It was as a result of that association that his attention was drawn to the economic challenges and hardships experienced by freedmen and to a lesser degree by the white southern unionists during this period. It was particularly instructive that several of his pupils wished to learn to read from agricultural manuals and periodicals…”

From "Many Are One" by Selah Merrill
Published 1874 Reprinted by Bison 2008

“Having completed my studies at the [New Haven Theological] Seminary I was ordained to the Lord’s service in the Congregational Church at Feedings Mills, Massachusetts. Rather than a pacific mission however my heart burned to fight, much like the shepherd in defence of his flock. I was commissioned as replacement chaplain of the 55th Massachusetts regiment then serving under General Peck with the Army of the James, often known as the Fighting Lambs. I could not have been prouder to serve against the rebel wolves in this army, this avenging sword of the Lord, alongside the men who had bled with that noble martyr David Hunter…

Selah Merrill​

It was by their example and those of our unionist brothers in the south that I received the revelation of the Lord’s purpose. Our strength, my friends, comes from our unity; unity of faith; unity of purpose; unity of race; unity of nationhood. As one people, that of free American men, black and white, committed to one another in life, in spirit and in blood we could defeat all foes. It was among their number that it was revealed to me that we would wipe away Secesh and its corruption like the Jews of old…

They called it the peace. I know as you should that this was merely the continuation of war against the evil and corruption in our society by other means. I resolved to go to the heart of darkness, Charleston, to preach the Lord’s word and his purpose of the loyal southern free. I would pledge my life to that cause…

My first task was to unite all right thinking people against the twins evils of southern democracy [a reference to the Democratic Party and former Confederates] and New York finance both of which would rob the people of their true inheritance and the hope of forming a New South…”

Last edited:
Two chapters in two days :eek: we are truly blessed!

Not too much of a surprise that the Southern economy is a total shambles. I am surprised there is such contention on the reason for the slowdown of the economy (to my mind the natural outcome of years or war, white flight, and the break up of the plantations into smaller farms) but since it seems that there is a shot at the Bureau of Collections in there I assume some of this is partly political disagreement amongst economists.

Should be interesting to see where the economy goes.

My first task was to unite all right thinking people against the twins evils of southern democracy [a reference to the Democratic Party and former Confederates] and New York finance both of which would rob the people of their true inheritance and the hope of forming a New South…”[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[/SIZE]

Hmm interesting sentiment. I presume this ties in to the coming of communalism, much like the rest of his beliefs?

Two chapters in two days :eek: we are truly blessed!

Not too much of a surprise that the Southern economy is a total shambles. I am surprised there is such contention on the reason for the slowdown of the economy (to my mind the natural outcome of years or war, white flight, and the break up of the plantations into smaller farms) but since it seems that there is a shot at the Bureau of Collections in there I assume some of this is partly political disagreement amongst economists.

Should be interesting to see where the economy goes.

Hmm interesting sentiment. I presume this ties in to the coming of communalism, much like the rest of his beliefs?

Methinks me see code for Jews. Very first episode West Wing. New York sense of humour/New York Finance. Merrill was in OTL a massive anti-Semite if Wikiwhatsit is to be believed. This does not bode well.

I am afraid not everyone can be nice nor can all the bad people suffer and die (I know the fate of Robert Barnwell Rhett made you believe in the justice of TTL).

Does anyone remember this trailer...

As we are up to Chapter 150 by my odd counting I have updated the Chapter Index...

The POD and the Ripples in the Eastern Theatre

1 How a Little Napoleon Was Drowned - spoiler: McClellan dies!
2 The Army has a Fitz and needs a Lie Down
3.1 We want No Pope Here Part I: On the Union Side of the Rappanhannock
3.2 We want No Pope Here Part II: On the Confederate Side of the River
4.1 "I mean to bag the lot" - The Battle of the Rappahannock: Part I
4.2 "I mean to bag the lot" - The Battle of the Rappahannock: Part II
4.3 "I mean to bag the lot" - The Battle of the Rappahannock: Part III
4.4 "I mean to bag the lot" - The Battle of the Rappahannock: Part IV
5.1 “I mean to bag the lot” - The Battle of the Rappahannock: Part V
5.2 “I mean to bag the lot” - The Battle of the Rappahannock: Part VI
6 “We’ll fight them one handed” - The Rise of Phil Kearny
7 Shuffling the Deck

The First Ripples in the Heartlands

8.1 You Can Forget Kentucky - The Battle of Mount Vernon - Part I
8.2 You Can Forget Kentucky - The Battle of Mount Vernon - Part II

Kearny Takes Command in the East

9.2 We Are All Wet Alike - The Rapidan Campaign - Part I
9.2 We Are All Wet Alike - The Rapidan Campaign - Part II
9.3 We Are All Wet Alike - The Rapidan Campaign - Part III
9.4 We Are All Wet Alike - The Rapidan Campaign - Part IV
9.5 We Are All Wet Alike - The Rapidan Campaign - Part V
9.6 We Are All Wet Alike - The Rapidan Campaign - Part VI

The Ripples on the Mississippi

10 The West Fights in Winter

The Political Ripples

11.1 The Politics of War - Part I
11.2 The Politics of War - Part II
11.3 The Politics of War - Part III

The West

12 Grant shovels while Bragg shuffles
13.1 Duck! The Battle of Duck River - Part I
13.2 Duck! The Battle of Duck River - Part II
13.3 Duck! The Battle of Duck River - Part III
13.4 Duck! The Battle of Duck River - Part IV
13.5 Duck! The Battle of Duck River - Part V

The East

14 The Butler's Tale
15 Too Clever By Half
16 Lee Plays For High Stakes
17 Deep in the Black Stuff
18 The Hunter is Himself Trapped - Part I
19 Parry & Lunge: Kearny -v- Longstreet
20 The Battle of Trevilian Station
21 A Breather Between Annas
22.1 The Battle of Ashland - Part I
22.2 The Battle of Ashland - Part II
22.3 The Battle of Ashland - Part III
22.4 The Battle of Ashland - Part IV
22.5 The Battle of Ashland - Part V
23.1 The Hunter is Himself Trapped - Part II
23.2 The Hunter is Himself Trapped - Part III
24.1 Sabres & Shovels: Part I
24.2 Sabres & Shovels: Part II
25 Sabres & Shovels: Part III

International Ripples

26.1 There's No South in Europe - Part I
26.2 There's No South in Europe - Part II

The Struggle for Richmond

27 A Petersburg Surprise - Part I
28 A Petersburg Surprise - Part II
29 Lee Prepares
30 Kearny Moves
31 The Battle for Richmond: Part I - Stuart's Surprise
32 The Battle for Richmond: Part II - The Attack Goes In
33 Fight or Flight: Part I - Kearny Pauses On The Barricades
34 Fight or Flight: Part II - The Decision
35 Fight or Flight: Part III - The Curtain Falls

Out West Again with Grant

36 On the banks of the Mississippi
37 Grant & the Two Porters -v- the Gardner of Port Hudson
38 Two Brawlers Meet
39 Encounter on the Big Black
40 Ulysses Caesar Grant
41 Where in Hell or Mississippi is Joe Johnston?
42 Vexed to the Sea

The Heartlands

43 Hard Times for Hardee: Part I
44 Hard Times for Hardee: Part II
45 Hard Times for Hardee: Part III
46 Hard Times for Hardee: Part IV
47.1 Hard Times for Hardee: Part V
47.2 Hard Times for Hardee: Part V
Appendix To Chapter Forty One

Kearny Takes Command of all the Armies

48 A New Crowned King
49 War to the Hilt
Organisation of the Army of the James
Organisation of the Army of the Potomac
50 A Train From The East
Organisation of the Army of the Cumberland
51 A Steamboat from the North
Organisation of the Army of the Tennessee

Southern Political Ripples

52 The Southern Government Goes South: Part I
53 The Southern Government Goes South: Part II
Organisation of the Army of Northern Virginia

More International Ripples

54 Untrusted Friends: Part I
55 Untrusted Friends: Part II

Mosby, Mexico and other Miscellaneous Matters

56 Mosby's Confederacy: Part I
57 Mosby's Confederacy: Part II
58 The Mexican Adventure

Lee Invades

59 The Gray Fox
60 The Blue Eyed Prophet
61 The Dandy Devils
62 The Word Spreads
63 Afterthoughts and Rearguards
64 A Town that Hedged its Bets - Kearneysville/Leestown
65 Big Picture Thinking
66 By the Banks of the Monocacy
67 The Emergency of 1863: Part I - The one with Thee Roosevelt!
68 The Emergency of 1863: Part II
69 The Union Goes Forth
70 Thunder on the Susquehanna: Part I
71 Thunder on the Susquehanna: Part II - more Roosevelt
72 The Battle of Gettysburg: The Prelude and Day One
73 The Battle of Gettysburg: Day Two
74 The Battle of Gettysburg: Day Three
75 A Rebel Twice Over
76.1 The Pipe Creek Line of Gray
76.2 Up a Creek
77 A Day of Seven Battles
78 The First Rays of Sunlight - with poetry
79 Second Days and Sixth Corps
80 Virginia Mourns
81 Rebels at Bay
82 Kill Them All and Let God Judge Them
83 Peace and Good Will To All Men Except Slaveholders

In the West with Hooker and Grant

84 Hooker best Lookout
85 Grant Celebrates as Bragg Calculates
86 We Shall Drown Sheridan...
87 ...and Bury Hooker - Part I
88 ...and Bury Hooker - Part II
89 Before the Storm
90 Day One - The Coosa Runs Red
91 Day Two – Green and Gray: Cleburne’s Attack
92 Day Two – Blue or Gray: Hooker Arrives
93 Red, Gray and Butternut – The Rebel Right
94 Red, Gray and Butternut – The Rebel Centre
Appendix to the 1863 Fall Campaigns
95 Kearny goes West

Missouri

96 Bloody Kansas and Missouri Bushwhackers
97 A Political General for a Political Command

Southern Prison Camps - Caution: Upsetting Photos included

98 A Broken System

Kearny's Strategy

99 Grand Strategy
Appendix to Chapter Ninety Nine

The World

100 1863 - A Year in Events

The Respective Capitols

101 Great Men and Their Ladies
102 The Lost Cause

The Carolinas

103 Marching Through The Carolinas: Part I
104 Charleston - A Tragedy in Black
105 Marching Through The Carolinas: Part II
106 Marching Through The Carolinas: Part III
107 Marching Through The Carolinas: Part IV

Bureaucracy of War

108 Bureaucracy – War By Other Means

South Carolina

109 Don't Spare The Rodman

Georgia

110.1 To Atlanta or Hell: Part I
110.2 To Atlanta or Hell: Part II
110.3 To Atlanta or Hell: Part III

The Conventions

111 The Players Are Cast

The Carolinas

112 From Lambs to Lions
113 Last Hurrah of the Black Horse Cavalry
114 "I Can Make Men Follow Me To Hell"
115 Faugh a Ballagh - the one with the Charge of the Irish Brigade
116 Corking the Bottle
117 A Last Throw of the Dice
118 Have You Spades Enough?
119 Details and Details

Georgia and the West

120 A Bridge Too Far?
121 Hooker’s Left Hook
122 The Atlanta Waltz
123 Endgame
124 Marching With Prince John

The First Stirrings of Peace

125 A Peace That Exists Only On The Other Side of War: Part One
126 A Peace That Exists Only On The Other Side of War: Part Two

That Man Booth

127 A Three Part Act - where Hannibal Hamlin becomes a badass
128 Black Days
129 The Stained Banner

Election Time and a Peace...of Sorts

130 The Cusp of Victory
131 Out of Egypt - Texas: The First Phase of the Great Exodus
132 Civil Occupations - Kearny's Empire in the Southern States
133 Acts of Attainder - Reconstruction and the Lame Duck Congress: Part I
134 1864 – A Year In Events

Reconstruction and Punishment

135 Acts of Attainder - Reconstruction and the Lame Duck Congress: Part II
136 A New Beginning - Inauguration and the 39th Congress
137 NOT USED IN ERROR
138 Bureaus and Bureaucrats - The Freedmens, The Collectors, The Proscriptors, and the Secret Service
139 Standing on the Right Platform - Part I: Cabinet Officers
140 Standing on the Right Platform – Part II: Senators and Governors
141 Standing on the Right Platform – Part III: Officers and Gentlemen
142 The Trials that United a Nation – Part I - with a song
Post War Army Generals
143 The Trials that United a Nation – Part II
144 Some Wreckage from the Great Storm
145 Guess Who's Coming to Congress

Kearny's Foreign Adventures

146 The Kearny Mission - The American Crown Prince Part I
146 The Kearny Mission - The American Crown Prince Part II

The Army

147 Brotherhood, Trauma and a Great Purpose - The Army and its Veterans

Mexico

148 The Great Exodus Part II - The Blue Eyed Prophet and the Promised Land

Lincoln's Second Term

149 Domestic Bliss: Part One
149 Domestic Bliss: Part Two
149 Domestic Bliss: Part Three
149 Domestic Bliss: Part Four
150 Dollars and Sense

I am afraid not everyone can be nice nor can all the bad people suffer and die (I know the fate of Robert Barnwell Rhett made you believe in the justice of TTL).

So the radical religious left develops a nasty anti-semitic streak to it. That is going to be interesting; I wonder how they will interact with the non-religious left, especially Marxists, which do have a significant Jewish contingent.

Reading the trailer again adds some clarity to the trajectory of TTL, and some mild hilarity over the fact that "Maoism" is an American ideology :p

But now I'm looking forward to these Corean expeditions...three Coreas? Wonder which is best?

So the radical religious left develops a nasty anti-semitic streak to it. That is going to be interesting; I wonder how they will interact with the non-religious left, especially Marxists, which do have a significant Jewish contingent.

I am also going to consider how any "Christian" communalist/leftist group might view the Mormons (as well as Catholics).

TFSmith121

Banned
Interesting chapter...

Interesting chapter...

Minor typo here:

Harvard Press 1999

"The south lost much agricultural expertise, particularly in the management of large scale planations, through both proscription and through a process of voluntary immigration. The organisation that largely replaced these former plantation owners and farmers, the Bureau of Collectors, did not yet have the expertise or the mechanisms in place to maximise agricultural output in its extensive holdings. “Attorneys and Generals do not good farmers make” Jacob Dolson Cox…

Best,

Domestically the campaign for 1868 looks to be going ahead full steam:

ChaseSalmon.jpg

Salmon P Chase....

4959-004-41FA4E73.jpg

Benjamin Wade....

Kearny.png

Phillip J Kearny.

Looks to be an interesting election, especially if we also put in people like Charles Sumner.

I am also going to consider how any "Christian" communalist/leftist group might view the Mormons (as well as Catholics).

Considering the Catholic Church's well known anti-radical ideology of this period (and, for that matter, Democract), the largely anti-Catholic sentiment present in the United States during this era, the fact that many Catholic immigrants (sans the Irish, who are associated with the corrupt political machines and the hated Democratic Party) were drawn to Marxism and Anarchism and since the Communalists will probably be very anti-hierarchical ... I'm going to do with "not particularly well" :/

However, I will be interested to see the impact this will have on *Populism if/when it develops in the West. If they are able to link up with urban socialists such as Victor Berger and make some inroads into labor unions, there could be a very interesting and viable coalition formed (especially if they tone down the anti-Catholicism with time)

Any more for anymore?

220px-Joseph_Holt.jpg
220px-Hannibal_Hamlin%2C_photo_portrait_seated%2C_c1860-65-retouched-crop.jpg
220px-Hooker_joseph.jpg
220px-Grant_crop_of_Cold_Harbor_photo.png
200px-William_Nelson.jpg
220px-Benjamin_Franklin_Butler_Brady-Handy.jpg
???

Ok, my opinions:

Grant, really? Unless you changed your mind, I thought you said in answer to a query of mine that Grant was not going to be President. He is the "Hero of Three Wars" because he is a soldier. That said, if you have changed your mind. Can Grant be Governnor of Ohio?

That said: Hannibal Hamlin surprises me, figured his position would be usurped by Sumner or even Wade, consideing that all three of them a Radicals, and that was a reason that Hamilin was put on the ticket.

Joseph Holt is a placeholder. Its clear that its Kearney at the moment for President. That said, most likely he is the future Attorney-General or something. Or future Chief Justice....

Butler is a radical, but he is kinda an oddity of a radical to most radicals.

Hooker is Kearny's man. He won't usurp.

Can't say anything about Nelson. He is not in my field of knowledge.

A question though. No Fremont to try again? Guy is the ultimate gloryhound and man of destiny. He actually puts Hooker and Jeb Stuart to shame for his flair....

Last edited:

Zioneer

Banned

Historically, Edward Bellamy was impressed by the Mormons in Utah, and apparently part of his book was inspired by their cooperative businesses. Other socialists were as well, including a French Communist that I forget the name of.

One note is that often, the heads of the cooperative businesses were powerful Mormon leaders, so though the lay members had sympathy towards communalism and in fact the leaders tended to denounce capitalism...

I would guess that Mormonism in your TL will be a little more communal and a little less conservative/capitalist, though.

Was that how sharecropping started OTL? If so, man the government sucks at managing farmland.
Me sees a more violent Klan, or analogue, in the future of this Merill gets his way. The South is not going to take kindly to racial equality for a while. Coupled with Merill's more... radical sentiments and the Army being more likely to crack down on a Klan, it'd probably be more like the French Resistance than our Klan was. But if it gets them extirpated earlier and more thoroughly, I won't complain.