A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

Zioneer

Banned
He is out of the 12th around the POD.

Kearny will have encouraged your ancestor to return to the 4th Ohio as part of his campaign to keep the old experienced regiments alive.

Thanks, that's actually a really nice explanation of alt-history for non-famous ancestors!

For xximagex...

Stuart_John_T_Lmuseum_REF3231_med.jpg

John Todd Stuart - Stuart practiced law in partnership with Benjamin S. Edwards. He was the unsuccessful Constitutional Union candidate for Governor of Illinois in 1860. He ran then as a Democrat for the Thirty-eighth Congress against Lincoln ally, Leonard Swett. He lost that election to Swett.

As a favorite cousin of Mary Todd Lincoln he was an occasional visitor at the White House even though he was an anti-emancipation Democrat. That stopped on the murder of Mary Todd Lincoln in 1864. While Stuart would continue his quiet practice of the law he would never again run for or indeed even endorse a candidate for public office...

Thank you Kindly :) Stuart and I are graduates of the same college, although of very different classes, and I am glad to see him mentioned.

I will shoot:

My great-great-Great Grandfather's brother Henry died at Gettysburg in OTL while part of Company H, of the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry (Go Iron Brigade!)

I will shoot:

My great-great-Great Grandfather's brother Henry died at Gettysburg in OTL while part of Company H, of the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry (Go Iron Brigade!)

A hard time from the start of this timeline: in King's Division at the Battle of the Rappahannock. If he survived Pope's mishandling of the battle (I seem to recall the divisional commander of I Division, III (AoV)/I (AoP), didn't). After the battle John F. Reynolds is prompted to commander the Corps which reverts to its old name I Corps.

Assigned to the Valley under Reynolds he may have been nearby when Robert Toombs was captured at Milam Gap.

At Ashland the I Corps was in the thick of it trying to force a crossing against Pickett's troops. They were drawn to the bridges (left standing) rather than search for and find the many shallow fords in the area. Your ancestor was sat in reserve in Doubleday's Division until Kearny directed Reynolds to have them use the fords. He is likely to have got quite wet before the battle was done. Doubleday's boys were isolated on the hostile side of the river for quite some time.

With Reynolds' promotion Hancock gets the I Corps. The Corps supported Mansfield's on the attack upon Fort Winder at Richmond.

Doubleday's boys would getting another mauling on the second day at Gettysburg when a frustrated Hancock would send them forward to support Lew Wallace's boys against Meade's orders. Longstreet would attack them on Cemetery Ridge on the third day.

If that wasn't enough Hancock and Wallace would go in hard at Pipe Creek trying to break through at the Union Mills junction. After these battles Hancock would need a lot of new generals...

If your ancestor is still alive (a tall order at this point - there were only about 7,000 left in the whole corps) he would have been in support at Lexington. Again they would be in the midst of the bloodbath at Statesville. With no rest they would fight again at Charlotte assaulting fortifications and finally they would be involved in repelling Jackson's attempted breakout at Charlotte.

I hope your ancestor got a nice ticket home/flesh wound early on because it would take a miracle to survive all that. The I Corps was barely functional as a division by the end of the war...

TFSmith121

Banned
In BROS, he loses to Swett and goes back in the Army

For xximagex...

Stuart_John_T_Lmuseum_REF3231_med.jpg

John Todd Stuart - Stuart practiced law in partnership with Benjamin S. Edwards. He was the unsuccessful Constitutional Union candidate for Governor of Illinois in 1860. He ran then as a Democrat for the Thirty-eighth Congress against Lincoln ally, Leonard Swett. He lost that election to Swett.

As a favorite cousin of Mary Todd Lincoln he was an occasional visitor at the White House even though he was an anti-emancipation Democrat. That stopped on the murder of Mary Todd Lincoln in 1864. While Stuart would continue his quiet practice of the law he would never again run for or indeed even endorse a candidate for public office...

In BROS, he loses to Swett and goes back in the Army with a commission from the president.

As Major Stuart, USV, he is assigned to Alligator Pratt's command in Upper Canada as a judge advocate. Should help reconcile the Denisons...;)

Best,

And so we shall vote :D

Your picture makes me look forward to how Tammany Hall gets handled TTL I can't imagine the machine there runs quite so well as OTL!

A hard time from the start of this timeline: in King's Division at the Battle of the Rappahannock. If he survived Pope's mishandling of the battle (I seem to recall the divisional commander of I Division, III (AoV)/I (AoP), didn't). After the battle John F. Reynolds is prompted to commander the Corps which reverts to its old name I Corps.

Assigned to the Valley under Reynolds he may have been nearby when Robert Toombs was captured at Milam Gap.

At Ashland the I Corps was in the thick of it trying to force a crossing against Pickett's troops. They were drawn to the bridges (left standing) rather than search for and find the many shallow fords in the area. Your ancestor was sat in reserve in Doubleday's Division until Kearny directed Reynolds to have them use the fords. He is likely to have got quite wet before the battle was done. Doubleday's boys were isolated on the hostile side of the river for quite some time.

With Reynolds' promotion Hancock gets the I Corps. The Corps supported Mansfield's on the attack upon Fort Winder at Richmond.

Doubleday's boys would getting another mauling on the second day at Gettysburg when a frustrated Hancock would send them forward to support Lew Wallace's boys against Meade's orders. Longstreet would attack them on Cemetery Ridge on the third day.

If that wasn't enough Hancock and Wallace would go in hard at Pipe Creek trying to break through at the Union Mills junction. After these battles Hancock would need a lot of new generals...

If your ancestor is still alive (a tall order at this point - there were only about 7,000 left in the whole corps) he would have been in support at Lexington. Again they would be in the midst of the bloodbath at Statesville. With no rest they would fight again at Charlotte assaulting fortifications and finally they would be involved in repelling Jackson's attempted breakout at Charlotte.

I hope your ancestor got a nice ticket home/flesh wound early on because it would take a miracle to survive all that. The I Corps was barely functional as a division by the end of the war...

Even alternate history isn't kind to the Iron Brigade, it seems! I hope that "Old Abe" their bald eagle mascot survived. in OTL the grand bird lived to a ripe old age and, after its death, was stuffed and preserved in the Wisconsin State Capitol (where, sadly, it was lost when the capitol building burst into flames in 1901)

Chapter One Hundred and Forty Nine Domestic Bliss: Part Three
Chapter One Hundred and Forty Nine

Domestic Bliss: Part Three

From “The Rivals – Lincoln and his Cabinet” by Amelia Doggett
Grosvenor 2008

“Looking back there had been little time to mourn his wife’s death. Within a few weeks he had been re-elected president by an overwhelming majority (with only his wife’s home state of Kentucky arrayed against him). A few weeks after that Stockdale surrendered on behalf of what remained of the Confederacy. The time in between was filled with the management of the 38th Congress: the Proclamation of Abandonment; a new Confiscation Act; a new Naturalization Act; an Undesirable Aliens Act. Then his Second Inauguration…and passage of the 13th Amendment…

Ironic that, at the time he granted General Kearny leave to recover his health, his own was deteriorating. An April cold had, by May, left the President bedridden. His doctors diagnosed a ‘plural effusion’. Robert feared it was pneumonia. Lincoln described feeling like “a collapsed steam engine: the pressure had built and built and built for years. Then its sudden disappearance caused the structure to collapse in on itself”…

attachment.php

There was some unseemly discord when Secretary Chase sought to convene a cabinet meeting only to have Vice President Holt arrive and assert a right to chair it. The problem was resolved when Lincoln appeared and chaired the meeting in his bedsheets. It was the first public indication of his improving health…”

From “Drawing Together – Abraham and Robert in the Post-War Years” from an article by Joshua K. Brogan
New England Journal of History 2009

“Many had feared for President Lincoln’s health during the years of the rebellion, fears confirmed by his collapse in May 1865. Yet in recovering it seemed as though the troubles of the war had been purged…

During that summer at the Soldiers Home John Hay reported that he “had never seen the Tycoon in such high spirits…He thinks nothing of spending hours playing with Tad and his friends. Often the President leads one band of rapscallions and I am conscripted to lead the other…”. John Hay’s role was temporary. On Robert’s return from Europe he moved back into the White House with his father. The two began to spend their leisure time together. Robert would recount all he had seen and heard in Europe. Often these discussions would take place in the evening and Secretary Seward and occasionally Vice President Holt would join them. The son was now treated as a man...

Kearny’s request that Robert remain on his staff until the final mustering out “as an example to others kept unwillingly in uniform by the necessities of peace” meant he had employment close at hand, at least to the final mustering out of the volunteers…”

From “The Rivals – Lincoln and his Cabinet” by Amelia Doggett
Grosvenor 2008

“Lincoln had a fierce appetite for work and seemed irrepressibly joyous in the most mundane unwarlike business of governing in peace…

The twin pillars of Reconstruction for the President himself were (i) the protection of the hard won freedoms of the African Americans and (ii) the rehabilitation of the South…

His talk of colonization in 1866 won him new friends among worried conservatives and he spent that political capital ensuring the passage of the 14th Amendment received the broad support of both flanks of the Republican party in the 40th Congress…

The conservatives were easier to mollify once it became apparent that the threatened deluge of freedmen into the northern section did not materialize. Much migration did occur but it was largely internal to the south with the west acting as the relief valve…most often it was to South Carolina, Mississippi and to a lesser degree Louisiana. States where African American majorities were conceivable, at times even without the expatriation of huge sections of the white electorate…

Lincoln’s frequent weighing into the balance against the Radicals was intended to maintain a balance of power within the party and within Congress. It naturally earned him the enmity of several leading Radicals and none more so that Benjamin Wade. Yet none could openly challenge the President, such was his enduring popularity…”

From “Drawing Together – Abraham and Robert in the Post-War Years” from an article by Joshua K. Brogan
New England Journal of History 2009

“The income from army commission gave Robert the appearance of being able to support a wife, though it remained his intention to study law. There was also the issue that the White House was lacking a hostess though it had no shortage of Lincoln men…

Perhaps it was prolonged exposure to Phil Kearny, always the proponent of the bold and unconventional in both love and war, that convinced Robert to wait no longer. He proposed to Lucy Lambert Hale in the spring of 1866…

Before the end of his presidency ‘Father Abraham’, as the freedmen knew him, would become Grandfather Abraham following the birth of Kearny Hale Lincoln…”

orig-madonna.jpg

Mother and son

From “The Radicals 1860-1872” by Hugh W. McGrath
New England Press 2001

The Supreme Court’s increasing hostility to what David Davis characterized as “the military’s annexation to itself of the duties of the judicial branch of government” made many radicals increasingly uncomfortable. There was a persistent belief, entirely unfounded given the composition of the Court, that the Supreme Court would one day override the post war settlement. The fear also existed that a resurgent Democratic party might one day return to dominate Congress and likewise unravel the hard work of the Radical Republicans…

The response was predictable: the radical Republicans would ensure the rights of freedmen and the principles of expatriation and proscription were incorporated into a 14th Amendment to the Constitution…

The content of the 14th Amendment accurately reflects the concerns and priorities of the 40th Congress and indeed the 39th which had preceded it. In summary:

1. Citizenship was guaranteed to all people naturalized or born in the United States;
2. The right to renounce that citizenship, through either word or deed, was an inalienable right of every citizen;
3. Equal protection under the law for all citizens;
4. Endorsement of the repayment by the federal government for the money borrowed to fight the Civil War;
5. Repudiation, not only of the Confederate war debt (by both federal and states governments), but of any indebtedness incurred in the course of a rebellion against the nation and the constitution;
6. The reservation to the executive and legislative branches, combined, of the power to proscribe aliens whose presence with the territory of the United States was prejudicial to the good order of the nation…”

7c35b892c948dcc157ca2fb755fa3fa7.jpg

Passage of the 14th Amendment heralded a final spasm of outrage in the South

Last edited:

TFSmith121

Banned
As sad as Mary's life was, you'd think they both would

I imagine grandfather and godfather will turn it into a joke... "Kearny Hale Lincoln!" At which point the General always stands up and salutes the President...

As sad as Mary's life was, you'd think they both would have deserved some happiness ... same for Phil and Aggie.

Again, nicely done.

Best,

Lovely update! I enjoyed the name of Lincoln's grandson :p

As an aside, with nearly some half a million people fleeing the South how many states are we looking at with future black majority populations in the future aside from the ones mentioned already?

Would these majorities be approaching say over 70% by 1900?

Getting there. One last Domestic part-chapter on:

• The 14th Amendment Riots
  • The Economy of the South
  • The first stirrings of Communalism

All of this sounds both ominous and fascinating. Looking forward to it!

After the Domestic policies what issues will you be tackling?

There was some unseemly discord when Secretary Chase sought to convene a cabinet meeting only to have Vice President Holt arrive and assert a right to chair it. The problem was resolved when Lincoln appeared and chaired the meeting in his bedsheets. It was the first public indication of his improving health…”

Secretary Chase's teeth are grinding in his attempt to assert control.

Henceforth, Chase shall be played by Stannis.

228652_600.jpg