1453, Ottomans decide that the Greek Patriarchate stays abolished!

Keenir

Banned
Now, if this would lead a butterfly effect that result in a Catholic Zevi, that would be a hell of a quirk ! :eek:

*nods* though I suspect that they'd be as Catholic as OTL's Domne(sp) are Muslim...but yeah, very interesting nonetheless.

(for one, does Catholicism allow for Messiahs who aren't Jesus?)

It doesn't seem likely to me that a large number of people within Ottoman borders are likely to convert to Catholicism - you would have to ask what their motivation for doing so would be. I doubt it would be in any number sufficient to move the Ottomans to adjusting their policy.

Didn't you say earlier that you imagined Catholics poaching Orthodox Christians?

As far as their motivation, perhaps they like the declining Orthodox church (someone commented earlier about illiterate squabbling priests) but don't want to convert to Islam either, despite the material benefits that could bring.

Catholicism is similar in practices and the like to Orthodoxy, but the RCC could provide more educated priests and structure than a headless Orthodox church could not.

You're thinking of the Eastern Rite Catholic Churches, Merry.

Didn't you say earlier that you imagined Catholics poaching Orthodox Christians?

As far as their motivation, perhaps they like the declining Orthodox church (someone commented earlier about illiterate squabbling priests) but don't want to convert to Islam either, despite the material benefits that could bring.

Catholicism is similar in practices and the like to Orthodoxy, but the RCC could provide more educated priests and structure than a headless Orthodox church could not.

the point I was trying to make about History abhoring a vacuum was that someone would definitely step in to fill the vacuum left by there being no Patriarchy to provide leadership to the Eastern Orthodox. some one or some organization will step in to fill it or make inroads to gain influence among the Christians of the Empire.

With no Patriarch to openly oppose the project of Reconciliatyion between the two churches I have no doubt that some bright ambitious AB in the West will use the prospect of fostering such reconciliation or gaining influence among the Christians of the Empire to launch his own bid for the Papacy. Indeed I expect there would several who would use this as basis for their bid for Catholicism's highest office.

Thus greater contact would almost certainly develop between Western Catholicism and the Orthodox of the Empire.

More Uniate Churches or Maronite type sects would certainly result with in the Empire but also perhaps through Eastern Europe. I suspect that the Kings of the PLC for instance will almost certainly bring all the Orthodox under the umbrella of a Polish Uniate church which can have substantial effects on the evolution of Eastern Europe and The Russian principalities.

Which is why I said the development could have more far reaching consequences than just the religious/political ramifications within the OE.

If the Patriarchte is abolished, would any of the Christian groups start demanding for its restoration later on down the road?

Probably though it depends when it is abolished. If it is abolished early on in Ottoman history, then most if not all Greeks by ATL 2010 would be Muslim along with the entire Balkan population but if it is abolished, I expect an uprising or two.

Probably though it depends when it is abolished. If it is abolished early on in Ottoman history, then most if not all Greeks by ATL 2010 would be Muslim along with the entire Balkan population but if it is abolished, I expect an uprising or two.

Greeks always have been strongly Christian, so yeah it will be difficult Islamization for them. It does seem that Pelloponese(sp?) Christian Greeks may go the way of Lebanese Maronites. However, in interior Balkans the area is simply isolated of the reach of Catholic Church, and (Orthodox) Christianity only survived there IOTL due to the re-establishment of the Patriarchate. And Ottoman habit of populating frontier areas with muslims will enhance its isolation from Christendom. Slavs are soo Islamized. Wonder about Romanians though.....

-100 relations with Muscovy
-100 relations with Novgorod
-100 relations with Ryazan
-100 relations with Serbia
-100 relations with Bosnia
-100 relations with Trebizond
-100 relations with Tver
Innovativeness -1
+300 gold
Event 40094 - Elections of the New Metropolitan for Muscovy will never fire

Greeks always have been strongly Christian, so yeah it will be difficult Islamization for them. It does seem that Pelloponese(sp?) Christian Greeks may go the way of Lebanese Maronites. However, in interior Balkans the area is simply isolated of the reach of Catholic Church, and (Orthodox) Christianity only survived there IOTL due to the re-establishment of the Patriarchate. And Ottoman habit of populating frontier areas with muslims will enhance its isolation from Christendom. Slavs are soo Islamized. Wonder about Romanians though.....

Originally a majority but then following political turmoil and emigration become only a significant minority? At least hope the Muslims are not Turkified at least. I prefer at least some linguistic diversity.

Well, the Romanians in Dobruja might be Islamised, but as part of the treaties between the Ottoman Empire and Moldavia/Wallachia, the Ottoman Empire wasn't allowed to build mosques and send missionaries in Moldavia/Wallachia, besides the two Metropolites in Moldavia/Wallachia were rather independent of Constantinople, with the Metropolitan being named by the Prince, not the Patriarch of Constantinople, and which only had to be confirmed by the Patriarch of Constantinople.