An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

I guess presumably if the transports get separated from the main fleet they are easy prey to getting attacked by a few ships at once? Like how a pack of wolves will try to separate the slower/weaker members of a herd of moose and then go for the kill once they are away from the main pack.

Yeah, yeah, you're probably right. I was thinking too much in terms of naval battles in Napoleonic fiction, where prizes are mostly gained by boarding ships.

Cryostorm

Donor
It looks like we’re getting to the decisive moment of this war. With everyone closing in how much longer could this last?
Depends on how one sided the battle is, if both sides only get slightly mauled or ends in a Pyrrhic victory then it could drag on for a while.

I wouldn't be suprised if it ended in an uneasy stalemate that will be finally settled years later by a more experienced Leo Kalimoros

Unless things change it does look like Malacca may fall, but Sunda isn't going anywhere soon.
Malacca is the biggest prize anyway imo. More manpower, more control over the straits, more future as an independent entity. I wonder what the Romans will rename it if they decide they want to.

I’m honestly hoping that the Romans sweep the Spanish though. A warning to everyone that Rome can and will win a war anywhere at anytime, even if it’s almost immediately after another war that devastated the heartland.

What is exactly going on with the Brits? I am catching up with this timeline and i was wondering

Brits? What Brits? Oh England. Well from a certain point of view England was a tad bit unlucky. Jeanne d'Arc was not around to save them... they've won the hundred years war. But France had several times the population. Hence the Triunes, ie the Triple monarchy of France, England and Ireland with Frenchified English kings running the whole place... from France.

Would ttl English even be remotely intelligible to us nowadays? All the french influence must make it pretty different. (Not that otl 17th century english is that intelligible to us nowadays lmao)

Last edited:
Speaking of language, is French as much of a lingua franca as it was in OTL in diplomatic terms at least? I'd assume Greek is the obvious language of diplomacy in the East but I'm less certain about the West.

Speaking of language, is French as much of a lingua franca as it was in OTL in diplomatic terms at least? I'd assume Greek is the obvious language of diplomacy in the East but I'm less certain about the West.
Probably not because the Triunes until recently haven't had the amount of power projection as otl france. Most latins will view it as a language of heritic Bohmanists

I’ll preface this by saying I love this timeline and have read through the whole thing multiple times.

anyone other than me struggling to care about island Asia? maybe it’s just me.

I’ll preface this by saying I love this timeline and have read through the whole thing multiple times.

I personally find it super interesting and engaging because its a relatively new frontier for the Rhomans and its super interesting to see such an ancient empire produce a colonial empire. I totally understand not being interested in it though and soon enough the focus of the tl will be back on constantinople so i dont mind the slight detour thay does a ton of needed worldbuilding

Not really i enjoy this asian updates cause i don't see much alt timelines that goes into detail on the effects of European interference on east and se asia.

And I also live there so its a bonus.

I'm really intrigued because its not only a new frontier for the Romans, and the beginnings of really the Europeans stepping up above their rivals technologically and knowing it, but that it shows how large the diplomatic spheres of the world have become, we're not far off from alliances between the Zeng and Europeans I expect, or at least the Ottomans which is a big deal since the Romans tie them all together.

Further, I'm looking forward to the moment where the Romans start to approach the Vijayanagar in the Indian Ocean. That will be a big political change, forcing Vijayanagar to be much more assertive or risk the Romans operating from both sides of them - now at first, sure the Romans are throwing toll money into Vijayanagar - but that only incentivises find a way to use the South-Easterlies to reliably to their advantage. Suddenly the Romans are making more, and the subcontinent is losing out a significant revenue source throughout history, and that could hurt Vijayanagar enough to force change.

TL;DR - I like this because it sets the stage for the big boy on the block in these stories to let the next big boy in out of complacency.

I've said this before but I like the interlude where we look at Africa/Asia because I didn't know anything about those regions of the world in the 16th-17th Century. Sure, this is alternate history, but it is grounded in reality so it served as a cool jumping off point for me to do some reading about South/Southeast/East Asia. I understand wanting to get back to Europe though - we sorta left a cliffhanger with the Triunes running roughshod over the HRE and the Ravens' Rebellion/new Bohemian Holy Roman Emperor but I'm thoroughly enjoying this "breather" and a look at how the rest of the world operates.

Also, what @RogueTraderEnthusiast said :)

Once we get deep into all of the intrigue in Constantinople I'm gonna miss this vacation to the far east that Mr. B444 took all of us on

So, going through the history of Byzantium podcast and I can't help but wonder, how will such a podcast in a *english speaking nation/ world would be differently presented. Also how it would be different in other various ways; such as, would Justinian get as much focus as he did in OTL, with examples of figures such as Andreas Niketas, Theodoros Megas and/or Demetrios Megas (or Basil II, the Bulgar Slayer, but he's OTL)? After all here Justinian wouldn't be the last gasp of Rome/Rhomania as a super power but the man who greatly overextended the empire, had a massive plague happen, which despite the damage it did, kept his expansionistic policies in spite of all common sense and reason, and ultimately weakened the empire so badly it took roughly a thousand years before Rhomania was roughly on par as the superpower of the Mediterranean.

(Though honestly he's probably still weirdly popular in the West, at least in popular culture/pop history, as the "Last true Roman Emperor" in spite of all his major fuck ups.)

Last edited: