Apollinis et Dianae: A Story of Power, Magnificence and Glory

I was wondering, two of the Stuart-line characters in this TL, both which who were rumored to prefer the other sex OTL (William III and Queen Anne), how have their ahem...tendencies been taken this go-around? Does Anne have a German version of Sarah Churchill/Abigail Masham?

I was wondering, two of the Stuart-line characters in this TL, both which who were rumored to prefer the other sex OTL (William III and Queen Anne), how have their ahem...tendencies been taken this go-around? Does Anne have a German version of Sarah Churchill/Abigail Masham?

Interesting question. You know I haven't given it much thought, but I'll try to address that here. For William, I'm planning a chapter on the Netherlands so I can address him there. For Anne, I never really thought she was a lesbian. She, like Marie Antoinette, formed intense friendships with her female friends but I never got the feeling that they were sexual. Romantic maybe, but not sexual. However, should try and find a German version of Sarah and Abigail.

Well, at least William's favorite is better than what his TTL wife endured in her OTL marriage.
As for Anne, I was thinking about her half-sister-in-law, Duchess of Schomberg...

Well, at least William's favorite is better than what his TTL wife endured in her OTL marriage.
As for Anne, I was thinking about her half-sister-in-law, Duchess of Schomberg...

Considering what/how much Liselotte put up with from Monsieur OTL, although the princesse de Monaco (?)'s offer of a lesbian affair would maybe be made to the princesse de Conti TTL:D, I think Liselotte should be okay with Willem's flavour of the week, whether Squinting Betty or Keppel.

Though, I'm curious about the suggestion of the duchess of Schomburg:confused: though I suppose it isn't impossible that she could've been, considering her brother was the lover of the duke of Brunswick-Wolffenbuttel, and another (or the same one, can't remember which) had a thing for the young Countess of Wilhelmsburg (Sophie Dorothea of Celle).

On the topic of the Raugraves can someone shed light on them, please. Antonia Fraser writes that the Elector had married Mlle Degenfeld bigamously. However, from what I can gather, Karl I divorced Charlotte in 1657 and married Degenfeld in 1658. This, by my knowledge would've rendered the marriage "morganatic" but not "bigamous". Or am I missing something? Because how I understand it is that divorce dissolves a marriage, making remarriage (in some religions) permissible.

On the topic of the Raugraves can someone shed light on them, please. Antonia Fraser writes that the Elector had married Mlle Degenfeld bigamously. However, from what I can gather, Karl I divorced Charlotte in 1657 and married Degenfeld in 1658. This, by my knowledge would've rendered the marriage "morganatic" but not "bigamous". Or am I missing something? Because how I understand it is that divorce dissolves a marriage, making remarriage (in some religions) permissible.
It was never recognized by any university other that Elector finds some guys who rubberstamp his divorse. So it was non-bigamous only in Palatinate, since no Calvinist authority in the rest of HRE consented to the divorce - as far as I know this story.

As for Duchess of Schomberg - I did not believe Anne was a lesbian, but the OTL correspondence between Liselotte and Duchess of Schomberg makes me think that she'll make a nice substitute to Mrs. Churchill.

Well, me and Constantine got sorta bogged down in real life, but 1 chapter is currently being edited, and another two are being written, so if situation turns favorable you can expect an update (or even TWO!) within this month.

In the meantime, any odds of a mapmaker helper, since our volunteer has gone MIA as well? Though the only new map this TL requires currently is a Far East map to reflect the outcome of TTL post-Amur War Russo-Chinese border.

Just finished reading the TL. Intriguing premise and scenario.

But shouldn't the Christians be doing much better in the Balkans by this point? IOTL the Austrians pushed much deeper into Ottoman territory than ITTL. With a coalition this big and no worries of French intervention re-conquering Constantinople should be well in the cards before invading the Holy Land.

Just finished reading the TL. Intriguing premise and scenario.

But shouldn't the Christians be doing much better in the Balkans by this point? IOTL the Austrians pushed much deeper into Ottoman territory than ITTL. With a coalition this big and no worries of French intervention re-conquering Constantinople should be well in the cards before invading the Holy Land.

Looking at a map, it is a reasonable question to ask why the Coalition would be making less progress against war targets within 1000 km of the nearest member's capitol, compared to war targets in the eastern Med that are over 3000 km away. I think there would be two ways to explain this.

First, logistics. In that era, like most others, it was cheaper to large objects such as barrels 1000 km by sea than 100 km by land. Armies at that time, assuming they were not moving through territories like a horde of locusts, despoiling the land for supplies, tended to move only at the pace of their supply train. Its would be easier and cheaper to campaign in Egypt/the Levant than the the Straits, at least until such time as the Turks naval power was completely eliminated.

Second, politics. Any gains in Balkans, the Hapsburgs backyard, would been seen as pure wins for Austria, and less so for France, the Dutch Republic and others. Any economic gains to the parties bordering the Atlantic would be limited. The Levant, however, would be seen as more of a win for all parties. Being close to the sea, they could easily develop commercial and political links to more faraway European powers. There would also be a stronger romantic appeal to campaigning in the Holy Land for the non-Habsburg powers. Britain, France and to some extent even the Dutch had glorious historical narrative to draw upon in the region, especially for the
people actually making political decisions. The greatest British and French families included many crusaders.

Also eagerly awaiting an update!

Looking at a map, it is a reasonable question to ask why the Coalition would be making less progress against war targets within 1000 km of the nearest member's capitol, compared to war targets in the eastern Med that are over 3000 km away. I think there would be two ways to explain this.

That's not the question. The question is why is the Coalition making less progress than the Austrians did IOTL.

Something I'm curious about:

OTL William III of Orange was offered the title of 'Duke of Guelders' and its underling titles when the stadtholderate was restored. However, the idea didn't sit too well with the more republican element in the Holland Province, and it caused a rush on the stock-market or somesuch (I can't remember the exact results) but I know the excesses of the rampjaar were exacerbated by it in a way. William declined the offer - (although I'm sure he would've very much liked to accept) - and instead opted for Stadtholder of Gelderland. But what was his reaction here, what with an earlier fall of the Republican government? And would/does he still have royal ambitions (if not for himself, then for his heir)?

There's one update in works, and quite a "wham" one. Too bad I get no permission to post it without Constantine and he's busy with his other project (a 1830ies France one).
As for logistics, Antipater explained it rather well - that was the idea. Also, major spoiler - Eugene of Savoy is neither French nor Austrian general TTL, where the career of his mom is quite different. And he is the major reason for Spanish wet dream in Morocco being successful. That and blind luck with artillery bombardment.

As for William III, TBH, I didn't think about it.

It's the friendly neighborhood nuisance again:eek::p

Something that I was thinking about with the Pfalz-Simmern line continuing is that the Palatinate will stay at least lukewarm in its relationship to the French court, as opposed to the pro-Imperial policy the following rulers of the Palatinate observed. Or have I got it wrong? Because while the Bavarian Wittelsbachs and those in the Palatinate hated each other, both (at least during Simmern's rule) were allied with France. Then after the Palatine War of Succession when Haus Pfalz-Neuburg took over, due to imperial connections, the Palatinate sided with the empire until the War of the Austrian Succession when they sided with the Bavarian Imperial party. However, after Karl VII's death, they were back to kissing up to the Habsburgs.

At least this is my reading of the situation.

It's the friendly neighborhood nuisance again:eek::p

Something that I was thinking about with the Pfalz-Simmern line continuing is that the Palatinate will stay at least lukewarm in its relationship to the French court, as opposed to the pro-Imperial policy the following rulers of the Palatinate observed. Or have I got it wrong? Because while the Bavarian Wittelsbachs and those in the Palatinate hated each other, both (at least during Simmern's rule) were allied with France. Then after the Palatine War of Succession when Haus Pfalz-Neuburg took over, due to imperial connections, the Palatinate sided with the empire until the War of the Austrian Succession when they sided with the Bavarian Imperial party. However, after Karl VII's death, they were back to kissing up to the Habsburgs.

At least this is my reading of the situation.
Yes. Considering the Elector is rather sick man and his energetic Electress is not only a cousin to British king but a sister of the favorite niece-in-law of French king, they have more reason to side with France than with Empire, at least for now.

I've said - there is a chapter on Constantine's editing table, and the plans for it. Though we're not sure now exactly the European part will turn out right now - TTL Spanish succession got a bit more complex than expected.

VVD0D95

Banned
I've said - there is a chapter on Constantine's editing table, and the plans for it. Though we're not sure now exactly the European part will turn out right now - TTL Spanish succession got a bit more complex than expected.

Ah okay, look forward to more