TLIAW: A continued Macedonian dynasty, or: Basil II's guide to raising a family

1000-1004 AD:

Basil II was returning to Constantinople after four years of campaigning against the Bulgarians. He had learned from his mistakes at the Battle at the Gates of Trajan and now Vidin and all of Thessaly, Macedonia, Moesia and Western Bulgaria was under Roman rule.

Despite Basil's recent successes, his life had not been an easy one, to say the least. At the tender age of five, his father, Romanos II, had died and his mother, Theophano, had married a military strongman - Nikephoros II Phokas, better known to his enemies as 'The White Death of the Saracens'. After 6 years, Theophano murdered Nikephoros to place his nephew, John Tzimiskes on the throne. Instead of marrying her, John had instead sent Basil's mother to a nunnery and married Romanos' sister Theodora. John Tzimiskes served as a mentor for Basil for 7 years before dying abruptly after a successful campaign against the Fatimids. Basil was finally old enough to rule in his own right, but he immediately hindered by three nobles - Bardas Skleros, Bardas Phokas and Basil Lekapenos - who were determined to reduce his family to impotent ciphers. Basil had defeated them all, but he was a changed man - sombre, bitter and distrustful with no time for art, rhetoric or the ceremonial of the court at Constantinople. Phokas and Lekapenos were now dead, and Bardas Skleros had given him the following advice:

"Cut down the governors who become over-proud. Let no generals on campaign have too many resources. Exhaust them with unjust exactions, to keep them busied with their own affairs. Admit no woman to the imperial councils. Be accessible to no one. Share with few your most intimate plans."

For the rest of his reign, Basil would take this advice to heart, yet now he was mulling the last bits of advice. His brother Constantine had three daughters, Eudokia, Zoe and Theodora, but no sons, and Basil himself was unmarried. Bardas Skleros had a son and a grandson. Suddenly, Basil realised Skleros' masterstroke - while he had defeated the old general, his lineage would continue and thrive, and if he followed the last bits of his 'advice', the Macedonian dynasty would likely end up extinct. Basil was determined not to let that happen*. After resting at Philippopolis, Basil headed south towards Adrianople, which had been plundered by Tsar Samuel while he was in Macedonia. A sorry sight - buildings smoking and collapsing, dead bodies everywhere. Basil himself stumbled across a group of survivors, one of them a young woman in her early twenties, beautiful yet stoic. Basil barked at her, asking for her name. When no answer came, Basil raised his arm to strike her when another of the survivors said her name was Agatha, daughter of a now-deceased local baker.

Outwardly, Basil's only reaction was to furrow his brows and stroke his whiskers, which he usually did if he was angry or deep in thought. Inside, he felt enraged towards the Bulgarians and a strange... connection to this poor woman. He would never allow a woman from one of the noble families to gain access to his plans and secrets, but Agatha, this woman who had suffered as he had against Samuel, she would do just fine.

Hope this grabs people's attention.

Last edited:
Interesting start, I wonder how this change will affect Basil in his future campaigns, perhaps he'll be less ruthless when dealing with the Bulgars?

Interesting start, I wonder how this change will affect Basil in his future campaigns, perhaps he'll be less ruthless when dealing with the Bulgars?

Oh hell no. I'm trying to keep Basil as close to real life as possible. If there's one thing I've really learned it's that emperors are generally not nice people. They're either on top of the game or imprisoned and/or mutilated or dead. Sometimes all three.

Why a slit tongue?!

For in-story purposes, it's so Basil can have a wife who, if he shares any of his secrets with her, won't be able to tell anyone else. I'd also assume that, since Agatha's of low birth, the nobles wouldn't take much notice of her anyway.

At least, that's why I assumed the Byzantines used to slit tongues instead of just hacking the whole thing off.

But anyway it would cost Basil his prestige...marrying a mutilated, low-born woman

Got it. Basically, I'm trying to get Basil to marry a low-born woman while also keeping Theophano in mind. I'll change the mutilation to something else which I'll reveal in tomorrow's update.

Thanks for the information.

Great start, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

One idea that'd be fun to think about is to have any son of Basil's be a cultured and pleasure loving disappointment to his father: that'd nicely upend the trope of "GLORIOUS MACEDONIAN WARRIOR DYNASTY 4EVA!!"

But seriously, we don't get enough of Basil II around here, arguably the most terrifyingly capable Byzantine Emperor of them all. And, it's a rare thing: a new Byzantine TL that is both plausible and well spelled! Just what we need.

My personal view is that Basil II may well have been gay, but that may just be because I want to associate us homos with such a badass. ;)

Redhand

Banned
Got it. Basically, I'm trying to get Basil to marry a low-born woman while also keeping Theophano in mind. I'll change the mutilation to something else which I'll reveal in tomorrow's update.

Thanks for the information.

Yeah, if she cannot speak, the nobility is going to have a field day with that. You could go for the rare trope of a Byzantine Empress who actually is not constantly scheming and plotting but at the same time is not mutilated.

Even if they weren't evil and scheming they become so after becoming an empress. It probably comes with the job because everyone else at the court is like that.

One idea that'd be fun to think about is to have any son of Basil's be a cultured and pleasure loving disappointment to his father: that'd nicely upend the trope of "GLORIOUS MACEDONIAN WARRIOR DYNASTY 4EVA!!"

But seriously, we don't get enough of Basil II around here, arguably the most terrifyingly capable Byzantine Emperor of them all. And, it's a rare thing: a new Byzantine TL that is both plausible and well spelled! Just what we need.

My personal view is that Basil II may well have been gay, but that may just be because I want to associate us homos with such a badass. ;)

Thanks. It might be one or two more updates before we really get into the kids. First we have to get the parents done and dusted. Not sure if there's much specific information about Basil's Bulgarian campaigns up until Kleidion in 1014, and between then and 1018 when Bulgaria was annexed. I guess we'll see when I update again, which should be soon.

Speaking of kids, I forgot to mention it, but another POD is that Otto III lives and his planned marriage to Zoe goes through.

Yeah, if she cannot speak, the nobility is going to have a field day with that. You could go for the rare trope of a Byzantine Empress who actually is not constantly scheming and plotting but at the same time is not mutilated.

So, someone like John II's wife, Eirene of Hungary? I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I just don't want Agatha to be too boring, depending on how long I keep her around.

Even if they weren't evil and scheming they become so after becoming an empress. It probably comes with the job because everyone else at the court is like that.

I guess it depends on how accessible Basil and anyone close to him is. If I remember, there weren't any major rebellions after Phokas and Skleros, but would there still be nobles aiming for the purple, like OTL Romanos III & Michael IV?

Redhand

Banned

Basil II was not gay due to the behavior of his early adulthood, when he was known to be quite the womanizer, but later in life he acted somewhat asexual as has been already alluded to.

If you're interested in great gay leaders, besides Alexander, Karl XII of Sweden was possibly gay. He just as easily might have been Hetero and carried on with mistresses but either is a possibility. And of course, Dumbledore. :)

Keep this up man. :D

Suggestion noted... and accepted!

1004 AD:

When Basil returned to Constantinople he went immediately to the Sacred Palace, sending Agatha to be cleaned and fed at the Blachernae Palace while he discussed the matter with his brother. The news of Helena's death barely phased Basil, who brusquely told Constantine to find a new wife or else join a convenant. Surprised and indignant, Constantine caved in to his brother's demands and selected an imperial cousin, Pulcheria Argyros*. He would have chosen her sister, Maria, if not for the fact that she was to be married to Pietro Orseolo, Doux of Dalmatia and son of the Doge of Venice.

After completing his strategy for the next campaign, Basil returned to the Blachernae to spend some time with Agatha alone. This time, Agatha spoke. She sounded fearful yet weary at once. Basil asked why he did not speak back at Adrianople, she replies that, having seen the brutal death of her family and friends, she had sworn herself to silence until their deaths had been avenged, and that she was planning on becoming a nun until the imperial army arrived. Basil tells her that, while he admires her devotion, she will have to rescind her vow around the imperial court at least. The nobles there are a pack of wolves who will pounce at even the slightest sign of weakness. Agatha is confused until Basil tells her that he wants her to be his empress. Stunned nearly into silence, Agatha accepts and is about to swear a new vow when Basil shushes her and leads her off to to the bedchambers.

The next day, Basil announces to the court his intention to marry alongside his brother in a week's time. 'A commoner who would barely speak as empress? What is the emperor thinking?' thought many in the court. Patriarch Sergius voices his concern at allowing the marriage, until Basil suggests finding a new patriarch who would allow it. At the wedding, the one time Basil would deign himself to wallow in court ceremony, surprisingly, everything went off without a hitch, with Agatha maintains a near-regal dignity, even in the face of scowls and gossip from the ladies. Theodora herself attends the wedding and is shocked to see her uncle marry someone who could pass off as another sister.

1005-1009 AD:

After the wedding night, it was back to business as usual. Samuel was beginning to lose the respect of his commanders, so much so that the governor of Dyrrachium, Ashot Taronites, surrendered the city to Basil without a fight, cutting the Bulgarians off from the Mediterreanean completely. Agatha and Pulcheria gave birth to healthy baby boys in the middle of 1005 AD, Constantine naming his son Romanos, after his father the emperor. Basil names his son John, after Agatha's father, partly to avoid confusion and partly to honour his mentor, John Tzimiskes. When Constantine suggests the name Nikephoros (victory-bearer), after their stepfather, Basil snaps at his brother not to mention him or their mother. Basil says that his son will earn his own victories or none at all.

For the first few years, Agatha spent most of her time in the Blachernae, occasionally visiting Theodora in the gynaeceum where the two became good friends. Soon, Agatha learns to trust the same people her husband did - Manuel Erotikos Komnenos**, Theophylact and Leo Botaneiates*** and the parakoimomenos*/* John the Orphanotrophos. Basil values his wife and son to the extent that he has Varangian guards posted outside the Blachernae at all times.

Progress against the Bulgarians slows down as Samuel fortifies the passes and routes on the borders of his territory. Despite these measures, in 1009, a Bulgarian counterattack was defeated at Kreta, east of Thessalonika. Surely it wouldn't be long now...
**: Father of Isaac I, grandfather of Alexios I and possible progenitor of the Komnenos dynasty. One Nikephoros Komnenos was arrested and excuted during the reign of Constantine VIII, though his relation to Manuel and his children is unknown.
***: One of them was the father of Nikephoros Botaneiates, OTL Nikephoros III.
*/*: Chief eunuch. John himself was the brother of Michael IV the Paphlagonian and was practically the real power during his brother's reign.

Deleted member 67076

After Bulgaria is dealt with, might we see campaigns against Sicily? IIRC Basil was planning a campaign there.

Keep it coming! :)

After Bulgaria is dealt with, might we see campaigns against Sicily? IIRC Basil was planning a campaign there.

Hell fucking yes. I WILL AIDE YOU THROUGH THE DEPTHS OF HELL!!! :D:D:D

Thanks, all!

1006-1014 AD:

As Basil's campaigns continued, Agatha took lessons with Theodora to heart and made more appeerances at court, though the resentment had not gone away and she had heard the name 'Theophano' whispered once or twice. When asked about the matter, Theodora explained what she knew about her grandmother - the daughter of an innkeeper chosen by Romanos II to be his wife, when Romanos died, she married Nikephoros Phokas to keep her the regency of her son safe, and was then forced to become a nun by John Tzimiskes after she played a hand in Nikephoros' murder. This, her father had told her, was supposedly part of the reason Basil had been distrustful, scared maybe, of women in the past. Agatha swore that she would never turn on the one who had taken her in and given her a new home, but Theodora warned her to be careful all the same - to trust noone.

In 1006, Pulcheria gave birth to a second son, Michael. Soon all three boys were taking lessons together, John and Romanos showing a aptitude for martial activities. John, though frightened of his father at first, began to act more like him, startling his tutors. Romanos poured himself into books when not practise fighting. His parents slowly began encouraging him while ignoring Michael who started eating for comfort.

In 1014, Basil ambushed and nearly destroyed a 20,000 strong Bulgarian army, taking eight thousand hostage. Samuel himself barely escaped due thanks to his son, Gabriel Radomir, though he passes away two months later, some say from shock. Shortly afterwards, one of Basil's best generals, Theophylact Botaneiates, was ambushed and killed by Gabriel.

Back in Constantinople, Agatha was having dinner with John when she began to choke on her soup. The empress was rushed to bed when the screams of her son were heard. When Agatha woke she saw Theodore by her side and could hardly move. 'This is my final lesson to you, dear sister,' the princess said, using the term of affection she had used in the past. Theodora quietly explains that her mother-in-law, Pulcheria Argyros, jealous of Agatha, had secretly laced her soup with aconite*. In fact, Theodora watched the herbs be crushed and mixed in with the soup. She did not warn Agatha because, as she gathered from their conversation on Theophano, she had to learn the lesson about trust the hard way. Agatha spat in Theodora's face and Theodora briefly gives into her anger, smothering Agatha with her pillow before she can cry out for help.

Basil, still fuming over Theophylact's death, flies into a rage when he hears the news. Theodora is found hiding in the gymnaceum and Pulcheria dragged from her bed in the middle of the night. Basil finds John and hugs him tight, one of the few moments father and son have spent together so far. The next day, the emperor publically announces the crimes of his niece and sister-in-law. Romanos Argyros are forced to publicly disown their sister before Basil orders her to be blinded. Constantine pleads with his brother to be merciful with Theodora, so Basil instead banishes her to the island of Prote, later sending John the Orphanotrophos to strangle her with a bowstring.

Last edited:
Those are some events! I just hope little Michael doesn't inherit Basil...began eating for comfort sounds like he is another Constantine. John looks promising on the other hand.