TLIAW: A continued Macedonian dynasty, or: Basil II's guide to raising a family

I always thought that actually did happen. Was it something only recorded by 12th and 13th century historians?

Most probably. Same as the the Boulgaroktonos nickname. Basil's policy was to appease and integrate the Bulgarians. For example he allowed them to pay their taxes in kind (later abolishment of that practice was IIRC one of the main causes of bulgarian revolt), gave them positions in court and army, etc.

Mass killing them and calling himself Bulgarslayer would not serve that purpose.

Most probably. Same as the the Boulgaroktonos nickname. Basil's policy was to appease and integrate the Bulgarians. For example he allowed them to pay their taxes in kind (later abolishment of that practice was IIRC one of the main causes of bulgarian revolt), gave them positions in court and army, etc.

Mass killing them and calling himself Bulgarslayer would not serve that purpose.

Of course. The last post's been edited now.

1014-1021 AD:

After the death of Tsar Samuel, his son Gabriel Radomir hoped to come to an agreement with Basil, but a year after Kleidon, he was murdered while hunting by his cousin, Ivan Vladislav, who took the throne for himself. That same year, a Roman army was defeated at Bitola. Determined to finish the matter once and for all, Basil spends less and less time with John. All three boys have been educated in politics, court etiquette and warfare, but whereas Romanos is able to balance his interests carefully, John, irritated at a lack of attention from his father and bored with the day-to-day rituals, takes a page out of the book of his great-great-grandfather, Leo VI, and starts wandering around the streets of Constantinople in disguise. And lastly, young Michael began eating more after the death of his mother and, while not grossly fat, can only just get on a horse without help.

Four more years of raids and scorched earth tactics sees the definite end of the Bulgarian wars when Emperor Ivan Vladislav is killed while assaulting Dyrrachium. The majority of the boyars surrendered to Basil at Adrianople, with resistance under Ivan's son, Presian, being swiftly crushed. Bulgaria is reorganised as a theme and Basil allows the boyars who surrendered to keep their lands, wealth and titles. To avoid the same fate as Bulgaria, the princes and nobles of Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia swear fealty to the emperor. After 337 years, the Romans have regained their Danube borders.

That same year, an attempt by Lombard noble Melus of Bari to carve out his own realm from the Catepanate of Italy ends in his defeat by the catepan Basil Boioannes, aided by a contigent of Varangian Guards. The Battle of Cannae would become the first notable use of Norman mercenaries in the Mediterranean.

Basil feels no peace despite having avenged his wife and defeated his longtime foe. There is an ache in his heart, which seems to get worse whenever he sees his son. So, in 1021, when John asks to accompany his father East against the Georgians and Khazar remnants, Basil bluntly refuses. John insists he is ready. Basil is about to remind him of Trajan's Gates when John interrupts with "Your shame is not mine." Enraged, Basil punches his son in the face, breaking his nose. "Stupid boy," he growls. "You don't know anything about this empire. None of you do." It is the last time the two will ever see each other.

No sooner than Basil had left for the East had John snuck out in disguise once more, arrested by a city patrol after trying to bribe them. Like Leo VI, he is recognised and released in the morning, rewarding the patrol officer for doing his job. But when Romanos and Michael come to meet him at the Blachernae later that day, John is nowhere to be found...

Last edited:

trajen777

Banned
Excellent -- so if things do not change then from 2005 to Basil's death in 1025 --- he will be 20 -- It will be interesting if he leads the invasion of Sicily.

Good Start

1. Remind me again whose child is who's?
2. Will Basil attempt to lay the foundations for a hereditary succession?
3. I wonder if the butterflies will impact the Seljuks in a way that they won't be carving that much of an Empire...
4. If Croatia remains a Vassal of Byzantium, could it be someday converted to Orthodoxy?
5. I smell a civil war between John and his father/brothers...
6. I wonder if Yaroslav the Wise will be even wiser TTL and fix his country's terrible sucession system?

Will Basil still campaign in the East? His last great campaigns were in Armenia and Georgia, and his conquests became the Eastern most frontier of the Empire. Mind you, some of them were completely opportunistic, but the circumstances that created them still exist.

1. Remind me again whose child is who's?
2. Will Basil attempt to lay the foundations for a hereditary succession?
3. I wonder if the butterflies will impact the Seljuks in a way that they won't be carving that much of an Empire...
4. If Croatia remains a Vassal of Byzantium, could it be someday converted to Orthodoxy?
5. I smell a civil war between John and his father/brothers...
6. I wonder if Yaroslav the Wise will be even wiser TTL and fix his country's terrible sucession system?

1. John is the son of Basil and Agatha. Romanos and Michael are the sons of Constantine and Pulcheria Argyros (who, as far as I know, never married IOTL).
2. Well... you'll see.
3. I might not go that far, but there certainly won't be a Manzikert.
4. Possibly. Though I think Croatia had just been organised as a kingdom and might want to break away as soon as Basil's dead, which it did IOTL. Though that gives me an idea concerning the Great Schism.
5. Again, you'll see.
6. I'll have to look into that, and into the Holy Roman Empire under a surviving Otto III. If the Germans weren't happy with Theophano Skleros, how much longer would they put up with Greek customs before they rebel? And how would they bypass the elections to create a hereditary succession? Say, crowning their heir King of Italy while the emperor is crowned King of the Romans?

Will Basil still campaign in the East? His last great campaigns were in Armenia and Georgia, and his conquests became the Eastern most frontier of the Empire. Mind you, some of them were completely opportunistic, but the circumstances that created them still exist.

He is, though now I realise I worded it incorrectly.

1021-1022 AD:

After capturing the cities of Korchev and Tmutarakan from the Khazars, Basil II turned his attention to the george I of Georgia and his Armenian allies. Despite an abortive rebellion by the general Nikephoros Xiphias and Bardas Phokas' son, Basil went on to defeat the Georgians in open battle at Shirimni and Svindax. With King Senekerim of Vaspurakan surrendering his realm to Basil for protection against Turkmen raids, George was forced to come to terms with Basil - handing over his infant son Bagrat as a hostage as well as the towns and regions of Tao, Theodosiopolis, Göle, Ardahan and Javakjeti.

Basil heads back to Constantinople hoping to reconcile with John and invite him on his campaign against the Arabs in Sicily. He is outraged and heartbroken when he discovers John has disappeared, pressuring his governors to find his son immediately or else. When asked about the succession, Basil remains tight-lipped, though it is implied that the throne will go to Constantine is John does not return.

1022-1025 AD:

After the argument with his father and the incident with the city patrol, John grabbed the first boat he could to Bari, capital of the Catepanate of Italy. He disguised himself as a mercenary captain, forming a band of misfits, bastard sons and barbarians, mainly working against Lombards and Arab raiders.

Three years had passed when John's band saw their first major chance for glory. The main Sicilian fleet began raiding the Italian mainland. John's mercenaries were hired by Basil Boioannes to defend Reggio while he prepared for a major invasion of Sicily itself. John decided that if the threat was large enough to warrant that response from the Catepan, there would be a chance to gain a bridgehead at a low cost. When some of his group question his decision, John finally reveals his true identity, showing them his signet ring as proof. Why exactly they continued to follow him despite being lied to was not recorded in history. Regardless, the mercenary band disobeyed orders and crossed over to Messina. Sneaking in, the remaining garrison was quickly overwhelmed and the Imperial flag was raised on top of the citadel, to the jubilation of the Christian population. Basil Boioannes, having destroyed most of the Arab fleet, is enraged by his orders being disobeyed and stunned when he learns that the prince is leading them. He sends a messanger to Constantinople while he sails over to Messina with his army.

Basil is convinced when he finally sees the young man who, while having inherited his mother's eyes, has begun growing a beard and whiskers in imitation of his father. Boioannes kneels before the prince, who kneels in turn. John says that while he did seize an opportunity, he still disobeyed his employer and commanding officer, asking to be punished in place of his men, without whom the attack would not have succeeded. Flabbergasted, Basil nevertheless informs John of his duty to return to Constantinople. John agrees, bidding farewell to his colleagues, promising to call upon them should he need them again. John sails back to his home in December, but will end up arriving too late.

On the 15th of December, 1025, Basil II falls ill and summons his brother Constantine to his room. The following conversation was alledged to have taken place, and was dramatised in the tragic play "Boulgaroktonos":

Constantine: I hear you're dying, brother.

Basil: I'm done for, Constantine, but my line lives on.

Constantine: You're not still guessing John's alive-?

Basil: I'm not guessing, I know! (Coughs) And if you ever harm my son, the first thing you'll see in Heaven is my sword at your throat! (Coughs)

Constantine: In Heaven? And what makes you think a filthy, bloodthirsty old boar like you could get into Heaven? You know, Basil, at first I resented you excluding me from government. But now I understand that it was not punishment, but salvation. I shall enter Heaven, free of sin, greeted by my family and the Holy Son. We shall look down on you, suffering all the torments of Hell, and I will say "Leave him there. Leave him there until the end of days." Goodbye, brother.

No one knows if it really happened was just a fabrication of the part of author Constantine Manasse*, who was writing over a hundred years after the events. Regardless, in short order, Constantine took the signet ring from his dead brother's finger and was proclaimed emperor at the Hagia Sophia in short order. Many people expected rebellions at best and civil war at worst, and while there were rebellions, no one could have expected what happened next.

Just caught up on all the updates, will civil war actually be better for the empire in the long run? Perhaps John can end it quickly seeing as Constantine was by all accounts incompetent.

Constantine was incompetent and he was very old by 1025, but here he does have two sons so it sounds like a civil war pretty soon.

1026 AD:

While docked at Thessalonika, John receives word of his uncle's accession. Soldiers and local nobles encourage John to take up arms and seize the throne for himself. John refuses, saying he will earn his throne on his own merits or not at all. He spends 2 months secretly exchanging letters with his cousin Romanos, who keeps him informed of what is going on in the capital. While continuing to feast and enjoy life, despite his gout, Constantine has begun reacting to uppity nobles and peasants alike with impulsive cruelty, executing or mutilating hundreds of innocent men. Finally, when Romanos informs John of his plans to repeal the land laws of his father, John writes back, saying that he will give up his claim to the throne and support him in whatever plans he might have. Romanos rides to Thessalonika and 'arrests' his cousin on the orders of his father. The people of Constantinople instantly recognise him and cheer, praising John, much to the irritation of Constantine VIII. Constantine desperately wants to kill his nephew, but he can't do it here, not while the mob have his support. On the advice of Romanos, Constantine instead throws him the dungeon to await mutilation or banishment.

By now, Constantine's gout had gotten so bad he could barely walk and he needed to be carried around in a litter most of the time. On the first night of April, Constantine was making his way home from a trip to the Hagia Sophia when one of the servants carrying the litter stumbled and nearly threw the emperor off. Constantine swore and said that he ought to kill him in the morning. Truth be told, it was dark enough that he didn't quite know which of the two carriers at the front had stumbled, and he was so lazy he'd probably forget all about it. But the servant was not willing to take that chance. When they had made it up to the top of the stairs at the Grand Palace, the servant moved to help the old emperor and suddenly threw him back down the stairs. By the time anyone got to him, Constantine VIII was already dead. The next morning, Romanos was crowned Romanos III and released his cousin, who publically swore to serve his cousin loyally for as long as he lived.

1026-1030 AD:

Romanos celebrated his new reign with a triple marriage, John to Philippa Tornikes, daughter of an Armenian noble, Michael to Sophia Phokas and himself to Maria Skleros. He had named any sons he and Maria would bear as principal heir, and Michael as second heir in case his future sons should predecease him. On the advice of John, Romanos lessened the land laws against the clergy, but not the nobility. This led to a rebellion by Basil Skleros, a son or grandson of Bardas Skleros, which John swiftly crushed. Basil Skleros was imprisoned and blinded for treason against the emperor. After four years, Romanos had sired two daughters but no sons, John had a stillborn daughter and Michael, now enormously fat, had no children at all. While people mourned the death of the infant princess, jokes were beginning to circulate about the supposed impotency of the brothers. Romanos ignored them for now, deciding make his mark in history in the same vein as Marcus Aurelius and Trajan. The Mirdasid Emirate of Aleppo had begun paying tribute to the Fatimids of Egypt instead of the Romans, and the other Arab border lords were getting uppity as well. Romanos gathered an army of 20,000 men, including John's old mercenary band, and marched East with John and experienced general Constantine Dalassenos in mid-July, 1030 AD...

Last edited:
1030 AD:

So confident was Romanos of victory that he arranged a grandiose entrance into Antioch and prepared special crowns for the triumph. The emir of Aleppo sent envoys to Antioch, offering to resume the tribute and become a Roman vassal once more. Romanos' first thought was to reject the offer, but his generals insisted in order to avoid campaigning in the hot, dry Syrian desert during Summer. Romanos accused his generals, especially George Maniakes, strategos of Teleuch, of cowardice, until John appeased him by saying that if he accepts this offer, he will have already won, with no loss of life or prestige. The emperor accepts the offer and Aleppo becomes a Roman protectorate once more. Romanos then orders George Maniakes to attack Edessa to make up for his 'cowardice' while he marches north to deal with Georgia and the Armenian kingdoms. Georgia was now ruled by the twelve-year-old Bagrat IV and his mother, Mariam of Vaspurakan. Knowing that his position was not stable, Romanos offered a large sum of money to the young King to use against his rivals in exchange for not interfering with his campaigns.

The Romans also discovered that King Smbat III of Armenia, who had promised Basil II to will his kingdom to the empire, had mysteriously died and his son, Gagik, had been sidelined in favour of his brother, Ashot IV, who had no intention of submitting willingly. Ashot was soon defeated in open battle near the town of Manzikert, and he surrendered his crown and kingdom in exchange for estates in Cappadocia. The year 1031 AD marked the end of an independent Armenia. At least for the forseeable future.

1031-1032 AD:

Romanos returned to Constantinople and found that, in his absence, his wife had finally given birth to a son, Constantine. He also learns from Sophia Phokas that Michael had not only been ignoring her, he had been sleeping with concubines and feasting instead. Romanos' last major act was to bully Patriarch Alexios Studites into divorcing Michael and Sophia. He married Sophia off to another Michael, brother of John the Orphanotrophos, and kept his obese brother around because "he amuses me."

Later that year, George Maniakes captures Edessa and the area around it becomes a new theme. Strategos Christopher Doukas also returns, having failed to annex the Armenian Kingdom of Aghuank*. Romanos rewards Maniakes handsomely and has old Christopher Doukas blinded or castrated for his failure. Whichever it was, he allegedly died during the process, earning him the emnity of the Doukas family.

On the 3rd of April, 1032, when even John himself was giving up hope of ever gaining the throne, Romanos III was making his way through the streets to the Hagia Sophia, crowds of spectators began heckling and jeering him, and he was suddenly struck on the head by a roof tile. Although he was rushed to safety, the emperor fell into a coma and died in the night. Historian Michael Psellos claims that Romanos' doctor had been bribed to poison or smother him by the Doukai as revenge for the death of Christopher. John once more declined the throne in favour of his cousins Constantine and the newly-crowned Michael IV, aka Michael the Fat, who rarely left the Grand Palace, entirely given up to hedonism and gluttony. After 8 days, Michael suffered a massive stroke. In his delirium, he was persuaded to remove Constantine from the succession altogether. 7 years of planning and building up a solid base of support had finally paid off. The people were ecstatic to see a son of Basil II come to the throne, a son who, unlike his father, had earned their love as well as their obedience. John II's reign would prove to be longer than his uncles' and nephews' combined, and much more tumultuous.

Basil I 'the Macedonian': 867 AD - 886 AD (19 years)
Leo VI 'the Wise': 886 AD - 912 AD (26 years)
Alexander II: 912 AD - 913 AD (1 year)
Constantine VII 'Porphyrogennetos' (regency): 913 AD - 920 AD (7 years)
Romanos I Lekapenos: 920 AD - 944 AD (24 years)
Constantine VII 'Porphyrogennetos' (sole rule): 944 AD - 959 AD (15 years)
Romanos II: 959 AD - 963 AD (4 years)
Nikephoros II Phokas: 963 AD - 969 AD (6 years)
John I Tzimiskes: 969 AD - 975 AD (7 years)
Basil II 'the Younger/Porphyrogennetos': 976 AD - 1025 AD (49 years)
Constantine VIII: 1025 AD - 1026 AD (5 months)
Romanos III: 1026 AD - 1032 AD (6 years)
Michael IV 'the Fat': 1032 AD (8 days)
John II: 1032 AD -

I very much like your timeline. The idea of maintaining dynastic continuity to counter the instability suffered by 11th century Rome is plausible and has (as you have shown) great repercussions for the empire's fortunes. The prestige of the Macedonians helps hold the center together and so on, with somewhat less damage caused by their worse emperors.

Certainly keep this up as much as you can. I hope that John II can master the old enemies of civil war and bad luck to secure the empire's position in Syria and the Caucasus on a firm foundation. Maybe we'll see some naval expeditions, successful or not, against the slowly weakening Fatimids?

1032 AD-1038 AD:

Emperor John II's first action was to prepare an expedition to expel the Mohammedans from Sicily once and for all and to conquer the lands between the Catepanate of Italy and the city of Naples, which was nomially under imperial rule. In regards to the succession, some suggested that Romanos' children should mutilated or killed, but Jonh refused to do away with his cousins' legacy. Pulcheria, Helena and Constantine were kept in the Blachernae Palace, with the servants under orders to give them no special treatment or make any indication of their imperial heritage. John's hope was that they would grow so accustomed to a 'regular' life that they would have no interest in the throne when they became adults. He also belatedly order his cousin's widow, Maria Skleros, to join a covenant. The former empress did eventually retire from court and Constantinople.

A year after his ascension, John's first son was born by Philippa Tornikes. John decided to name his heir Basil, for whatever had happened between him and his father years back, Basil II had still been his best mentor. John was about to leave for Southern Italy when he received a letter from the Strategos of Dalmatia, calling for help against a combined Hungarian-Croatian invasion. The messanger says he was diverted, since the Serbs of Dioclea were up in arms as well. Instead of postponing the invasion, John puts George Maniakes in charge of the expedition while he deals with the two Stephens. He leaves Philippa, John the Orphanotrophos and general Nikephoros Boteneiates* in charge of the city until he gets back. John was joined on the expedition by general Isaac Komnenos** and the commander of the Varangian Guard, a physically imposing Norseman who other Varangians called 'Hardrada'***. Dioclea quickly folded, the Doux was blinded and his realm reorganised into a theme, but the counterattack further West turned into a long, hard slog. The Croatians stubbornly refused to surrender, even when John steadily conquered Bosnia, and the Hungarians simply crossed the Danube and sacked the city of Singidunum, killing its commander Constantine Diogenes*/*. Strategos Andronikos Doukas (V) was sent to restore order. Things changed when King Stephen of Hungary died in 1038 and Hungarian troops returned home for the coronation of his nephew, Peter. Tired from war, King Stephen of Croatia offered to become a Roman vassal once more and send his youngest son Castimir to Constantinople as a hostage. Victorious, John and his remaining 15,000 soldiers began marching back to Constantinople in early September, but as they were approaching Naissus, they were suddenly set upon by archers, mounted or otherwise. Despite the glare of setting sun, John could recognise their coat of arms - the symbols of the Doukas family.

Constantinople

John the Orphanotrophos was playing a dangerous game, sneaking into the imperial bedchambers in the dead of night, but he had no choice. Those Doukai fools moved too quickly. "Oh well," he thought to himself, "it will still make things easier once Michael is emperor and I'm Patriarch." The Excubitors standing guard had been put to sleep with wine earlier in the evening, and soon he was standing over the sleeping prince. He raised his dagger when suddenly the boy woke and screamed in fear. And who should come in next but the Empress? The two struggled for a while, evenly matched, until a kick to the leg and the nether regions gave Philippa the upper hand. She forced the treacherous eunuch to the ground and began to choke the life out of him. When Botaneiates finally arrived on the scene, they found the empress bleeding and holding her son tight, and John the Orphanotrophos on the floor, eyes open in death, hand pointed towards a stray, poison-tipped dagger.
*/*: Father of OTL Romanos IV.
V: Father of OTL Constantine X and Caesar John Doukas.

Last edited: