Your favorite TL-191 Character?

Abhakhazia

Banned
What's your favorite TL-191 character.
Mine are Sam Carsten, when you ignore the fact that he gets sunburned, Reggie Bartlett and The Great McSweeney!

I'm saying historical ones. OK?

Abraham Lincoln, James G. Blaine, Eugene V. Debs, Upton Sinclair, Al Smith. (For Presidents of America)

Doroteo Arango. Pancho Villa running for President of the CSA? Too unique.

Turtledove's work especially his later ones resemble those of bad sci-fi movies you watch for fun. Each character is best known as the stereotype that best describes them. You jokingly guess when characters are going to die and when they do you laugh.

This not to say that I don't enjoy Turtledove but all his characters seem to come off an assembly nowadays with many of them the same models only being given a new name and face but act mostly the same.

Oh, that's right you haven't read it.

Yeah, Blue, get with it. :p

I think Scipio is my favorite. I also like Morrell, Martin, Bartlett, Moss, Flora, Potter, and Hip Rodriguez. I can't say I like Anne Colleton, McSweeney, or Featherston, but their sections are usually interesting. Most of the other POV characters are lacking in personality.

Cinnicinattus, because he wasn't content to simply settle for his lot. He strove for a better life, unlike most of the other characters in that series who just stood around and complained about life.

Union POVS : John Moss , Cincinnatus Driver , Armstrong Grimes , the Enos family , Gordon McSweeny and Irving Morrell

Confederate POVS : Jefferson Pinkard ,Clarence Potter , Cassius Madison , Reggie Bartlett , Jerry Dover , Cassius and the Colleton family

Last edited:
In How few remain i liked Lincoln wery much in regards to the fact that he was the most fleshed character and not stuck in stereotype like Longstreet etc. Off course, Harry had it easy since noone had killed Lincoln

In Greatwar, American Empire and WW2 i liked Flora. We have a young idealist and woman that wanted to improve the world. She really started in the gutter and worked herself up. It was almost a wank, if it had been a true wank her husband would have been reelected twice.

Pinkard is another character that shows us how life in the gutter was really like.

Dowling wasnt intrested as long as Harry had him stuck with Custer.

Moss became intresting after leaving his airplane in Greatwar, but wasnt that strong after rejoining the airforce and becoming a guerrilla.

From the Union: Lincoln, Irving Morrel, Flora Blackford, Paul Mantrakis, and Teddy Roosevelt

From the Confederact: Scipio, Cassius (Hunter), Reggie Bartlett, Anne Colleton, and Feahterson (Pre-Raving Manachial dictator)

As for Canada well the only likable Canadian for me was Lucien Glaiter

d32123

Banned
Flora Hamburger/Blackford I would marry that woman.

I also thought Cassius was a total bad ass.

Scipio/Xerxes was my favorite character simply because he managed to stay alive for so long.

From the Union side: probably Cincinnatus Driver because he was such a badass, followed by Chester Martin, because he came across as an Everyman sort of character, i.e., a regular guy who fights in the Great War because his nation needs him and returns to battle in the Second Great War because he knows the country needs him again.

On the Confederate side, probably Reggie Bartlett, mostly because while he was a white Southerner to the core, he did try to stand up against the Freedom Party, even though it cost him his life. I think that his views about the races did change somewhat for the better, given that he is a white man after all. You have to wonder what he might have done had he lived to see the rise of the Freedom Party and if he would have continued to stand up against them.

On the Confederate side, probably Reggie Bartlett, mostly because while he was a white Southerner to the core, he did try to stand up against the Freedom Party, even though it cost him his life. I think that his views about the races did change somewhat for the better, given that he is a white man after all. You have to wonder what he might have done had he lived to see the rise of the Freedom Party and if he would have continued to stand up against them.

From an author's viewpoint Bartlett was probably considered redundant since he died right when a new (erstwhile) white anti-Freedom Party POV came on the scene.

That being said, had he lived Bartlett probably would've got run in as a political. Worked half to death in a factory till the end of the war for the misdemeanor of pissing in public or whatever charge the Freedom Party decided to arrest him on.

I actually liked George Enos (the first one, not the second) and felt that he should have been allowed to live.

I would actually have killed off Sam Carsten, since his character served no other purpose than to get sunburned and complain about it. As a matter of fact, Enos could probably have carried on Carsten's story arc just fine.

As a matter of fact, Enos could probably have carried on Carsten's story arc just fine.

The hell are you talking about? :confused:

Enos was a fisherman average civilian type with a wife and kids who enlisted in the Navy only and only after the war broke out and personally inconvenienced his way of life; Carsten was a career Navy man who moved up the ladder into officer country who served the greater context as an expert who saw the decisive transition of capital ships from big-gun battlewagons to aircraft carriers. The two character roles are in no way alike.

The hell are you talking about? :confused:

Enos was a fisherman average civilian type with a wife and kids who enlisted in the Navy only and only after the war broke out and personally inconvenienced his way of life; Carsten was a career Navy man who moved up the ladder into officer country who served the greater context as an expert who saw the decisive transition of capital ships from big-gun battlewagons to aircraft carriers. The two men are in no way alike.

Meh. I just think we only needed one POV character in the Navy.

Meh. I just think we only needed one POV character in the Navy.

Carsten was the better suited POV as far as strictly Navy matters go. As much as I hate to say it (his death was probably one of the few in Turtledove books I actually felt bad over), but civilian-life Enos Senior didn't have a role to serve in American Empire that everyman Chester Martin or Sylvia Enos didn't already fill.

I wish Potter would have opposed Jake more, instead of Turtledove turning him into another yes-man.

I wish Potter would have opposed Jake more, instead of Turtledove turning him into another yes-man.

I rather liked the UST thing they had going on between the two of them.

Potter had his uses in Featherston's inner circle (which in itself could've used some further development), and he was more useful there than as a third or fourth concentration camp POV he inevitably would've ended up being.

I rather liked the UST thing they had going on between the two of them.

Potter had his uses in Featherston's inner circle (which in itself could've used some further development), and he was more useful there than as a third or fourth concentration camp POV he inevitably would've ended up being.

Maybe keep Moss as the "air" POV and Potter could have been the one with the anti-Freedom guerillas?