Your Altered Country in the Olympics

JJohnson

Banned
Given your alternate timeline's version of any given country, how will they do in the Olympics (Summer and/or Winter)?

For example, how would 'Mega Canada' do? (Canada with OTL plus the Louisiana Purchase)
Or a surviving German Empire, or German Austria, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland? CSA, USA after losing the Civil War, or having 76 states (USA, Canada, Rio Grande, Baja California, Sonora, Chihuahua, Cuba, Polynesia, etc)? Megali Greece, Kurdistan, Assyria, divided China, unified Korea, etc?

I'll bite. My ideas for alternate United States'/Virginias from my scenarios.

Patriotpunk - About the same as OTL (even though the map is set four years in the future).

Magnificent Destiny - Very, very well. Considering the United States has 2.5 billion people, including nearly the entire Western hemisphere and Russia, I wouldn't be surprised if we won a majority of medals. So very, very well.

Jihads in the Sea of Time - Only the western hemisphere (the only part of the world not under the World Caliphate) takes part in the Olympics. The US does very well with such a small pool of competition.

Reverse Sealion - Since these are simply mirror worlds, the US' of these worlds (the Federated States of Russia and the Collected Doukatias) do about as well as OTL's US.

Napoleon of the West - A tiny, Mormon-majority US with just Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. Gets very few medals.

Riveterpunk - Heavy competition with Soviet Union for first. Because of general regional unification (Western Europe, China/Indochina, and South America) the gap between US and others probably is very small. Serious competition.

Nazis, Confederates, and Communists -
CSA as maybe second or third in medal count after Korean Empire and Australasian Empire.

If the countries of my TL were to attend an Olympics, it's a fair bet that within the first three hours some of them would have pulled out guns on each other and half of the audience would be dead.

- BNC

Mauretania (like I've discussed here) would be a solid mid-tier Olympic nation (assuming butterflies still result in the Olympics like they are now), probably with several great athletes who manage to win medals every time. I'd compare it to a nation like Spain or Italy. At the winter Olympics they could easily be Africa's best nation for the Winter Olympics. They might even be able to host the Winter Olympics somewhere in the Atlas, in a place like *Ifrane which receives relatively heavy snowfall due to its elevation and proximity to the ocean, plus they could easily host the summer Olympics in a place like *Casablanca or *Volubilis. A Winter Olympics in Africa would be cool and a nice gimmick (OTL Sochi Olympics in one of Russia's warmest cities was strange enough), albeit it might be better if Mauretania's close ally South Africa hosts the Winter Olympics which would be in the Southern Hemisphere. Mauretanian-colonised South Africa would also be a major player at the Olympics which would eclipse its mother country, producing all sorts of fantastic athletes including those who would compete in the Winter Olympics.

Last edited:
TSK's Lithuania could probably do decent, I'd imagine. At least better than it's OTL counterpart - at the very least because it has 10x the population. So a bigger pool of athletes to pull from.

In my "Masquerade" timeline, there's a chance that the USA will participate in the 1980 Summer Olympics, in which case the medal count will be enornously larger than in OTL, where we did not go. The winter Olympics are likely to be unchanged in any major way.

In Tomorrow's Mountain, which is being worked on, but slowly, by 1928, if not by '32/'36, there's a significant chance that overall health in the USA will be better, and have been better for long enough that there's a larger pool of athletes to draw from.

My country would be this, The Holy Roman Empire, made some changes but the large structures are still the same.
I'll talk about 1912 olympic since that's a relatively peaceful time in my TL.

Before Olympic:
I imagine there would be a massive pissing contest between the member states on who gets the majority of the athelete to participate. I believe at the end of the day, most of the Reichs atheletes would come from Austria, Hungary, Prussia, Bavaria and Saxony, since they are relatively the most powerful states in the Reich.

During Summer Olympic:
The situation would get pretty awkward if there are muslim countries that joined the olympic too, just have to wish a fight won't break out.
I imagine atheletes from Hungary would win alot of medals on Shooting and cycling due to the hussar.
The Reich would perform much better than OTL Austria due to the much larger population and national power.

Kaze

Banned
The only timelines I am working on or thought of --

Successful Yan Dynasty (still in development)
- Modern Olympics has yet to appear. But considering that An-Lushan's name is based on the name of "Alexander the Great", he would want his nation to participate in the NUDE.
Shun in the Americas.
- Only attended the Berlin Olympics. They made the mistake of researching the atom bomb and it went really, really wrong. The nation ceased to exist for any future Olympics - the remains were absorbed by Canada post-World War Two.

Winter Olympics: New Albion TL
New Albion, being a former British colony stretching from Franciston [San Francisco] to New Caledonia [Alaska] does well in skiing and other Alpine events; the United States of North America [Canada and the U.S., east of the Rockies] is good in hockey, skating, curling etc.
France, being the dominant power in Europe (and reaching to the Rhine) is good in skating and skiing; the Confederacy of Northern Germany is also powerful in Nordic events, as is Greater Poland. The South German Union and the Triple Empire (Austria, Hungary and the Slavs) are good in Alpine sports. Russia, being smaller and weaker, is the loser here.
Korea (being united) and Manchukuo are pretty good; Tibet and The Khanates of East Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan produce good individuals; China, being more southern, does not pay too much attention to the Winter Games.
The Republic of the Rio Platte [incorporating Chile] is also competitive.