XXth C: Discussion Thread

OK, here's my thinking for 1908:

Root does not have the charisma or the Progressivism to pull off a TR. He would keep up the 'big stick' policies, but wouldn't go for the convservation or the square deal or the trust busting to nearly the same extent, nor gain nearly the same popularity.

Thus there are some pretty rough strikes in the east, and railroads continue to abuse the west. Without a popular Roosevelt, I really don't think a more conservative Republican would grab the nations interest. Definately not enough to carry the western vote.

I think that the Roosevelt in 1912 scinario is incredibly unlikely for severall reasons: 1. There is a much less powerful Progressive branch of the Republican party. Many of them, including LaFollete, would probably have deffected by this point. 2. The recession would happen earlier not later then OTL. 2. Bryan wouldn't get blaimed for it, and would probably adopt more progressive meassures. 3. The local political bosses in New York HATED TR before he was president. That's why he was given the VP slot in the first place. He would not keep power in that state. Remember that the political machines had tons of power back then. 4. Cabot-Lodge is the naturall middle road choice between a very hard-nosed conservative Republican and TR. He is much more likely to gain the full 2/3rds vote in the convention. (note: I've spent hours upon hours studying conventions, I know how they work). 5. If Bryan is a disater, the Republicans would be more inclined to go with a less progressive canidate as to distance themselves from Bryan.

Here's my guess at a 1908 election Root V. Bryan. Democrats are Red, and win the electoral majority.

genusmap.png

Indiana was quite close in the real election. Without Roosevelt's popularity, it would go off the deep end. Remember that things are incredibly different without Roosevelt. Roosevelt was such a powerful and effective president that no Democrat would have a chance. This is probably not the case with Root. The mid-west would go Democrat if there are both agricultural and labor problems. Many Progressives would actually defect.

Justin Pickard said:
I like this. Think this could lead to NZ becoming a pioneer in aeronautics, if he gets subsequent funding / interest?
Or perhaps pioneers in other countries (US, France) try to discredit him and push even harder to achieve flight.

What do you guys think about no trust busting? Or at least, letting standard oil stay alive? Would definately lead to big changes.

Glen

DominusNovus said:
What do you guys think about no trust busting? Or at least, letting standard oil stay alive? Would definately lead to big changes.

I suspect we'd see trust busting delayed, but it will happen eventually....

1902 Feb 22,
A fistfight broke out in the Senate. Senator Benjamin Tillman
suffered a bloody nose for accusing Senator John McLaurin of Cowardness on the Phillipine withdraw issue

*Fistfite is real, and is about Phillipines, changed reason slighty.

=======

1902 Mar 26, [OTL died]
Cecil Rhodes (48), Prime Minister of Cape Colony (1890-96), is
hospidilized following a heart attack. he would die 14 months later from a second attack.
Dueing that time he would work on extending the Cape Colony Franchise to the newly annexed Boer regions, and establishing a insitute [foundation] to encourge European settlement in Rodesia.

There's no way Root would withdraw from the Phillipines. He was Roosevelt's secretary of state OTL, and Secretary of War during the Spainish American crisis.

Ok, well first of all Roosevelt simply cannot become mayor of New York without the support of the local New York political machines. He didn't have it. And he lost the support before the turn of the century. It just isn't possible for him to make it just as a New York politician.

Root would only be a nominall trust buster, and would try to encourage big bussiness. This would lead to a proabably very anti-trust Democratic canidate in 1908. Again Bryan is the obvious choice here. Bryan would go hog wild with trust busting, making bussines, both big and small to the east, wanting a less active Populist government. This means that they'd elect a more main streme Republican like Lodge, and avoide a Progressive like Roosevelt.

The panic of 1907 may very just not happen. If it does happen, my bet is that it would happen in 1904 or 1905 in this TL, having no effect on Bryan. It was a VERY short crisis.

Actually, Utah went for Taft in 1912, which is interesting, but I could see it sympathising with Bryan more then Root. Also, with the strike and other labor problems, not to mention possible government scandal and big bussiness expansion, New Jeresey or Pensylvania or even Ohio might go for Bryan.