Wyoming AH Challenge

With a POD after 1900, make Wyoming the most heavily populated state in the Union by 2009. Extra points if the other 49 states keep their OTL population numbers.

Wyoming is kind of dry. I don't really see how there would be enough water for 30 million people in that state. Also I have drove through Wyoming and it is the definition of fly over territory.

it has to start with one city doesnt really matter which one. Lets say they discovered oil or gold and settelers flocked. You would then need a really progressive series of state administrations, no state income tax, no sales tax low business taxes.

offer up cheap land grants for new people and subsidize some housing. they would also have to build substantial infrastructure ie intl airport major highways etc

they could maybe get to like 10 million people if everything goes well but never approach ca levels of 40 million its juts not possible

Wyoming's so unsuitable for dense population, the only way I see it happening is through some cataclysmic event that kills most of the people in the other states. "Kind of dry" is an understatement. Wyoming's no Sahara, but have you been there? It's a stretch of brown land punctuated by desperate-looking brown plants. It's definitely beautiful in its way, but it's not supporting any major cities anytime soon. Oil booms bring in people, but not enough to rival New York or Chicago.

Then again, there's no real reason so many people should live in Los Angeles. That whole area is basically tens of millions of people utterly thumbing their noses at nature. But at least the weather is nice, which attracted the various entertainment persons who caused it to surge so.