WW2 warplane question?

Are there custom warplanes for aces? I had this thought after watching some ww2 dogfighting documentary and after that watching some anime.

You mean specifically built brand new designs, or modifications to existing designs carried out in the field?

Field modifying aircraft was pretty common, and I wouldn't say it was really limited to aces. You might find that aces tended to want their aircraft modified more, as they knew more than other pilots how to get the best from the aircraft. It wasn't really an ace only thing though.

Custom paint schemes were pretty popular. Stuff like nose art and other decorations as well. But again, that's not 'ace only'.

I'm only guessing here , however logic has to play a part here.

When a brand new aircraft arrives at an operational field who gets it .

I guess in most cases it would be used to replace the most senior pilots aircraft . now I have read about some pilots in the BOB that refused to swap their trusted aircraft , however I do not have a source for this .

I know that the engines of WW2 aircraft needed a lot of attention . after a certain number of hours of operational use they needed to be fully overhauled . and after a few overhauls they may not produce the power needed anyway . An unlucky pilot may get an aircraft like this and theirfore be first in line for a new one when it arrived.

Another point is that customising is limited in real life.
Unlike a certain video game you can not just swap out modules .
for higher speeds a good polish may add a few Kt's
If you harmonise the guns properly you increase accuracy . Several pilots had their own idea on where they wanted their guns to converge .

As for engine modifications most of the modifications that occurred were like the stokes filter on the hurricane in western desert . they hampered performance but improved engine life.

Most combat aircraft are gradually improved over the life of the aircraft . An ACE may suggest an improvement and have it carried out on the entire fleet if it's proven but customizing an aircraft for one pilot does not occur regularly according to the biographies of the likes of Sir Douglas Bader and Pappy Boyington . both used standard unmodified aircraft .

As far as I know, Adolf Galland flew one or more Messerschmitt Bf 109 F with more powerful armament, modified especially for him. This is the excerpt from the Wikipedia article:
Channel Front
Now, promoted to Oberstleutnant, he continued to lead JG 26 in 1941 against the RAF fighter sweeps across northern Europe. In early 1941 most of the Luftwaffe's fighter units were sent to the Eastern Front, or south to the Mediterranean Theater of Operations (MTO), only leaving JG 26 and Jagdgeschwader 2 (JG 2) as the sole single-engine fighter Geschwader in France. By this time, JG 26 were being re-equipped with the new Bf 109F, normally equipped with a 15 mm (or later a 20 mm) cannon firing through the propeller hub and two cowl-mounted 7.9 mm MG 17. Galland felt the model was grossly under-armed and so tested a series of 109 "specials" – one with a unique armament of an MG 151/20 cannon and two cowl-mounted 13 mm MG 131 machine guns, and another with integral wing-mounted 20 mm MG FF cannons.[63]
The picture below shows a Bf 109 F, which I think must be one of those planes modified for Galland. It shows the Mickey Mouse emblem typical for Galland and it seems to have MG FF cannons in the wings, like the Bf 109 E, whereas other Bf 109 F's had either no wing armament or armament (MG 151/20) in underwing pods.

Messerschmitt Bf 109 F Adolf Galland.JPG

Riain

Banned
There is at least one RAF CO-Ace (maybe Bader?) who kept the 8mg wing in his Spitfire when the rest of the sqn had gone to 2 cannon and 4 mg variant. Also Sailor Malan ignored the official regulations about having guns harmonised out at 650 yards and had his set to converge 200.

As for Galland, I believe he kept a late model E when the rest of his unit converted to Fs, as he thought the F armament was inadequate.

So yes, some ace/COs did have some leeway with their aircraft.

There is at least one RAF CO-Ace (maybe Bader?) who kept the 8mg wing in his Spitfire when the rest of the sqn had gone to 2 cannon and 4 mg variant. Also Sailor Malan ignored the official regulations about having guns harmonised out at 650 yards and had his set to converge 200.

As for Galland, I believe he kept a late model E when the rest of his unit converted to Fs, as he thought the F armament was inadequate.

So yes, some ace/COs did have some leeway with their aircraft.

In The First and the Last Galland recounts how his crew chief fitted an (unasked-for) sheet of armour over his head in his 109 cockpit. He was pissed off - he hadn't asked for it, and it restricted the view - never the best feature of the aircraft - even further. But there wasn't time to remove it before a sortie, during the course of which the plate stopped a 20mm hit that would have taken off the pilot's head. Galland gave him a bonus payment.

On harmonisation: I've read in a pilot's autobiography (Turner? Goebel? Can't recall) that they had the guns of their P-51 toed in at 100 yards, with no ammo mix - it was all API.

Last edited: