Wrestling WIs:

1. WI during the 1981-83 period, either Greg Gagne insists on no uncertain terms to his father Verne that he wants to come in from the cold to the front office of the AWA, or some sort of injury sidelines his career and Nick Bockwinkle's, forcing Verne to turn to Hulk Hogan as the face of the AWA, and it's champion at the next convenient mement? It's relatively easy feud Hogan with Ken Patera and/or Jesse "The Body" Ventura for the belt.

Since Hogan now has everything he wants, and there's no way he can jump ship to the WWF (or anywhere else) without turning heel and drawing comparisons among the fans to Rick Rude or Ted DiBiase, plus Vince McMahon Jr.'s ego will still compel him to try to take the WWF national anyway, despite being forced to move ahead with aging champion "Nice Guy" Bob Backlund, how badly will Wrestlemania I crash and burn? Or will we see the "Hollywood" persona fifteen or so years early?

2. Is there any way for someone other than Vince McMahon to buy the in-recievership AWA in 1991? If so, how does it affect the professional wrestling landscape to have three major players still. Will ECW still happen?

3. Either during the 1988-91 medical inquiry, or right after the events of the "Montreal Screwjob," or in the wake of the Owen Hart incident in Kansas City, Congress and/or the Canadian Parliament flay professional wrestling as we know it alive, with massive hearings and legislation, effectively mandating a level of safety comprable to boxing and/or a true competitive sporting format as "shoot" as the then emerging MMA scene.

Obviously, the ECW is finished, but other than that, what happens next?

If Verge Gagne had made Hulk Hogan the AWA champion in 1983, then Vince McMahon would have still tried to expand the WWF nationwide. He would have most likely made Sgt. Slaughter the WWF champion. Slaughter could have feuded with the Iron Sheik and Roddy Piper from 1984 through 1985. A tag team match between Slaughter/ Mr. T and Piper/Orndorff tag team could have been the main event of the first Wrestlemania. TTL’s Wrestlemania probably wouldn’t have been the success OTL’s was, but it could have still been profitable for McMahon. In competition with both the AWA and NWA, McMahon could have focused on signing Randy Savage and giving him an even bigger push than he did in OTL. Savage vs. Slaughter could have been a possible main event for Wrestlemania II in TTL, with Savage winning the WWF title. Keep in mind, even with Hogan in the AWA and (assuming Magnum TA’s accident is avoiding in TTL) a strong NWA, that the WWF still would have the advantage of having McMahon running it.

If Verge Gagne had made Hulk Hogan the AWA champion in 1983, then Vince McMahon would have still tried to expand the WWF nationwide. He would have most likely made Sgt. Slaughter the WWF champion. Slaughter could have feuded with the Iron Sheik and Roddy Piper from 1984 through 1985. A tag team match between Slaughter/ Mr. T and Piper/Orndorff tag team could have been the main event of the first Wrestlemania. TTL’s Wrestlemania probably wouldn’t have been the success OTL’s was, but it could have still been profitable for McMahon. In competition with both the AWA and NWA, McMahon could have focused on signing Randy Savage and giving him an even bigger push than he did in OTL. Savage vs. Slaughter could have been a possible main event for Wrestlemania II in TTL, with Savage winning the WWF title. Keep in mind, even with Hogan in the AWA and (assuming Magnum TA’s accident is avoiding in TTL) a strong NWA, that the WWF still would have the advantage of having McMahon running it.

1. Not likely to have been Slaughter as Vince was in the midst of a split with him during this time period. Vince had told people that if he couldn't get Hogan, he thought Kerry Von Erich would be the one, this just before Kerry's painkiller addiction. As stated above, he very well could've gone with Savage as well. Still, at that time, Vince and Sarge were not getting along, so you'd have to butterfly their animosity away.

Also, Verne was going to make Hogan AWA champion, however, Gagne demanded part of Hogan's Japanese earnings and merchandising. Hogan was not about to go along with that.

2. No one had the money. By then all the old school promoters had either been driven out of business (Watts, Fritz, Hart, Boesch) or were running small time territories that were going under rapidly (Owen) or didn't have the capital to take over that kind of massive territory (Jarrett\Lawler, Crockett). Crockett could have made a play if the AWA had gone earlier, but he had run out of money by then and was ready to sell to Turner (if he hadn't already. I'm fuzzy on the timeline there). Paul Heyman wasn't nearly ready to be a promoter, neither was Jim Cornette. ECW will very likely come into existence no matter what would happen with the AWA.

3. There would be no Indy promotions. No one but McMahon (and Turner for the purposes of your timeline) could continue in business.

1. Not likely to have been Slaughter as Vince was in the midst of a split with him during this time period. Vince had told people that if he couldn't get Hogan, he thought Kerry Von Erich would be the one, this just before Kerry's painkiller addiction. As stated above, he very well could've gone with Savage as well. Still, at that time, Vince and Sarge were not getting along, so you'd have to butterfly their animosity away.

Since I doubt this will butterfly away the pill addiction, will Vince incorporate it into his storylines and either heve Kerry go into rehab or turn heel? Will he be forced to groom the "Macho Man" as a face, or will such an embarassing championship turnover for reasons unrelated to the action in the ring cut into the WWF's credibility?

Also, Verne was going to make Hogan AWA champion, however, Gagne demanded part of Hogan's Japanese earnings and merchandising. Hogan was not about to go along with that.

Unless he owned more than 36 percent of a Japanese promoter, or the AWA had Japanese affiliates, why the heck would Verne ever make such a demand? It makes no sense. The NBA doesn't demand a share of the salary of off-season and undrafted players who play in Europe, Asia, or South America between times with NBA teams.

Okay, let's asume the screwdriver that Verne Gagne has a lick of sense about the matter. Now what?

Oh, and ff Hulk is AWA champ, more than likely "Mean" Gene Okerlund stays put too. Who does McMahan turn to for ring announcing? Or does he give some unknown a chance?

Also, if Corckett can avoid buying a jet he can't really afford and hasn't much use for yet, and has a "Plan B" in the form of seeing and signing Sting and/or The Ultimate Warrior after seeing them while on an NWA affiliate roundtable meeting in Shreveport or Memphis in late 1985, before they turned heel for a couple of years, it could have minimised most of the damage to his promotion Magnum TA's injuries caused. Who knows, maybe it would have prevented the need to sell out to Ted Turner, or else made it more of a merger of equals. (Until Time-Warner acquired Turner's properties).

2. No one had the money. By then all the old school promoters had either been driven out of business (Watts, Fritz, Hart, Boesch) or were running small time territories that were going under rapidly (Owen) or didn't have the capital to take over that kind of massive territory (Jarrett\Lawler, Crockett). Crockett could have made a play if the AWA had gone earlier, but he had run out of money by then and was ready to sell to Turner (if he hadn't already. I'm fuzzy on the timeline there). Paul Heyman wasn't nearly ready to be a promoter, neither was Jim Cornette. ECW will very likely come into existence no matter what would happen with the AWA.

Well, there seems to have been some bad blood between McMahon and the Gagne family, enough that Greg's younger brothers Gene and Dale tried to restart it in 1996. I haven't read any interviews about it, but it seems like McMahon was an absolute last resort.

Since ESPN by this time no longer needed them, and treated them like filler when they had them anyway, that would have been a bust.

According to Wikipedia, Ted Turner took the Atlanta affiliate of the NWA off of Jim Crockett's hands in Novermber, 1988, so theroreticaly Crockett should be pretty flush with cash, unless he wasted it on something else, which admittedly is not beyond the realm of possibility. And we all know that he wasn't officially done with wrestling promotion, the way he took over TNA. Also, while Cornette wouldn't call it quits with the Midnight Express for another two years, Paul Heyman was already looking for a way out of the ring.

WI Heyman, Crockett, Lawler, and Jarrett has pooled their resources together to buy the AWA, or are there too many big egoes and/or too disperate booking styles for this to work?

3. There would be no Indy promotions. No one but McMahon (and Turner for the purposes of your timeline) could continue in business.

In other words, it would punish everyone but the actual malefectors.

Funny, there are still minor boxing, kickboxing, and MMA circuits today.

I had no idea that McMahon had considered Kerry Von Erich as an alternate to Hogan, but the idea makes sense. Von Erich was very popular in 1984 and would remain so for several years. But I just can’t see Von Erich leaving his father’s company at the height of its popularity. People tend to forget just how popular World Class was around the nation during the mid 1980’s. Despite their animosity, I still see McMahon finding a way to handle Sgt. Slaughter and use him to expand the WWF nationwide. McMahon would need Slaughter if he couldn’t get Hogan, and McMahon in the 1980’s was considerably more humble than he is today. As for Hulk Hogan, I suspect that McMahon would’ve found a way to get him to come to the WWF, because of Verne Gagne. Gagne simply doesn’t impress me as being smart enough to appreciate the long term value of keeping Hogan, and I can very easily see Hogan going to the WWF in the late 1980’s in this scenario. Although, as a Randy Savage fan, I would’ve loved to have seen Savage (and Miss Elizabeth) be the face of the WWF for years.

My responses in bold for your convenience. :)

Since I doubt this will butterfly away the pill addiction, will Vince incorporate it into his storylines and either heve Kerry go into rehab or turn heel? Will he be forced to groom the "Macho Man" as a face, or will such an embarassing championship turnover for reasons unrelated to the action in the ring cut into the WWF's credibility?

Kerry didn't really get into addiction (at least no more so than any of the guys who still use the "It was the 80's" excuse) until the motorcycle accident in 1986 took his foot as well as most of his in-ring ability. If Vince sensed a problem, he would've tried to get Kerry clean at all costs. He even made an attempt in the early 90s while Kerry was employed but already too far gone. As far as that, if there was a problem with Kerry, he could have always hotshotted the belt onto Piper or Savage for awhile and I don't think it would have hurt. If anything, Piper could have had a very prosperous reign as he was the most brilliant talker of that time.

Unless he owned more than 36 percent of a Japanese promoter, or the AWA had Japanese affiliates, why the heck would Verne ever make such a demand? It makes no sense. The NBA doesn't demand a share of the salary of off-season and undrafted players who play in Europe, Asia, or South America between times with NBA teams.

I'm not privy to 100% details on what the deal was, but according to several shoot interviews, Gagne was unhappy with Hogan keeping all of the merchandising money he stood to make in Japan and wanted a percentage as basically a kickback for letting him have the title. McMahon wanted no such thing. He let Hogan work for Inoki (I believe) without asking for any of the merchandising percentages. Rather, Vince would make deals with Inoki at the time while Gagne had a deal with Baba (all the while Hogan would work dates for Inoki). The politics of it is quite dizzying, but it boils down to Gagne wanted a kickback from Hogan. Hogan wouldn't budge.

Okay, let's asume the screwdriver that Verne Gagne has a lick of sense about the matter. Now what?

Then Gagne can probably compete for awhile longer. Until McMahon decided to throw a pile of money at the syndicated stations that aired the AWA and told them to put on the WWF instead. Historically, most of the syndicates went for it and dropped whatever wrestling program was on for the WWF. Also, many of the workers knew where the money was. Verne didn't attempt to get into competitors markets. He would need to. The result will likely always end the same.

Oh, and ff Hulk is AWA champ, more than likely "Mean" Gene Okerlund stays put too. Who does McMahan turn to for ring announcing? Or does he give some unknown a chance?

Mean Gene was indeed an interview artist. I don't think Vince could replace him so easily, however, Mean Gene said in his shoot that he knew where the money was. Vince also did some interviewing at the time, so if no Gene, he could've done it or gotten say Alfred Hayes or someone like that to do it. Though it wouldn't be the same.

Also, if Corckett can avoid buying a jet he can't really afford and hasn't much use for yet, and has a "Plan B" in the form of seeing and signing Sting and/or The Ultimate Warrior after seeing them while on an NWA affiliate roundtable meeting in Shreveport or Memphis in late 1985, before they turned heel for a couple of years, it could have minimised most of the damage to his promotion Magnum TA's injuries caused. Who knows, maybe it would have prevented the need to sell out to Ted Turner, or else made it more of a merger of equals. (Until Time-Warner acquired Turner's properties).

Of course. According to the Jim Cornette shoot and many other sources, they were all making money hand over fist, but they also bled all that cash away frivolously. The only reason Jimmy Crockett was forced to sell was because he just did not watch his spending. The Mid-Atlantic territory could have survived just as long, if not longer than it did.

Well, there seems to have been some bad blood between McMahon and the Gagne family, enough that Greg's younger brothers Gene and Dale tried to restart it in 1996. I haven't read any interviews about it, but it seems like McMahon was an absolute last resort.

Yep. Verne and Vince are like oil and water. McMahon did offer Gagne a huge buyout and even promised him towns that he could run under the WWF banner as the agent in charge (the WWF was running 3 house shows at a time on any given night in three different cities). Gene Okerlund was in the room when Vince was on the phone with him and said Gagne flipped his top and he could hear him screaming at Vince over the phone. I believe Dale Gagne did try to restart the AWA around that time but it went nowhere. The territory system was dead by then. So, why not sell to Vince years later and get a nice check from Titan Sports?

Since ESPN by this time no longer needed them, and treated them like filler when they had them anyway, that would have been a bust.

ESPN was wanting to get away from wrestling by the time the AWA went under. They did air the GWF and UWF afterwards but those two promotions were huge failures. Herb Abrams' UWF is the epitome of how bad a wrestling show can be in particular.

According to Wikipedia, Ted Turner took the Atlanta affiliate of the NWA off of Jim Crockett's hands in Novermber, 1988, so theroreticaly Crockett should be pretty flush with cash, unless he wasted it on something else, which admittedly is not beyond the realm of possibility. And we all know that he wasn't officially done with wrestling promotion, the way he took over TNA. Also, while Cornette wouldn't call it quits with the Midnight Express for another two years, Paul Heyman was already looking for a way out of the ring.

I believe Crockett would've had the capital to go ahead and get back in it, but he was admittedly tired of the wrestling business. The Jarrett's founded TNA. Jim Crockett has had nothing to do with it as far as I know. But I could be wrong. Well, Heyman first became interested in booking when he complained to Verne Gagne about the show on that night. Gagne threw the booking sheets at Paul and said "Let's see you do better". After that, Heyman began developing his ideas as a booker.

WI Heyman, Crockett, Lawler, and Jarrett has pooled their resources together to buy the AWA, or are there too many big egoes and/or too disperate booking styles for this to work?

Look at the Pro Wrestling USA fiasco as a historical guideline for this. Crockett already proved he couldn't work with Lawler and Jarrett (also involved in that mess were the Von Erichs and Gagne). Everyone was trying to steal talent from each other and none of them could really get along. Also, Heyman and Lawler hate each other. Actually, the styles only contrast between the three southerners (who booked fairly similarly) and Heyman. Besides, Jarrett was about to get a job with the WWF around 91-92 because Vince thought he was going to jail. He believed Jerry Jarrett was a safe pair of hands to leave the WWF in after Gorilla Monsoon turned him down in case Vince went to jail. So, even if they all had the resources to do it, they couldn't have worked together.

In other words, it would punish everyone but the actual malefectors.

Certainly so. Wrestling is extremely expensive to promote and a lot of indy promotions probably wouldn't have the resources to survive if things came down hard... It would also hurt a lot of indy workers who make very little money. Why would they wanna pay say 500 dollars for a drug test when they're only making say 50 - 100 bucks for the night?

Funny, there are still minor boxing, kickboxing, and MMA circuits today.

It can be conceded that not all indy promotions are cash poor. Ring of Honor certainly could afford to keep going (As could JCW, which is run by the ICP, they apparently pay very well because they run shows to coincide with their concerts). I believe PWG could survive as well because they only run 1-2 times a month. But small budget independents like CHIKARA would be gone. And I can't live without CHIKARA in my life lol. (Granted, it's not everyone's taste)

Well, the actual ring announcing would mostly be Howard Finkel, and the backstage interviewing, a larger role likely would have gone to Alfred Hayes.

I had no idea that McMahon had considered Kerry Von Erich as an alternate to Hogan, but the idea makes sense. Von Erich was very popular in 1984 and would remain so for several years. But I just can’t see Von Erich leaving his father’s company at the height of its popularity. People tend to forget just how popular World Class was around the nation during the mid 1980’s. Despite their animosity, I still see McMahon finding a way to handle Sgt. Slaughter and use him to expand the WWF nationwide. McMahon would need Slaughter if he couldn’t get Hogan, and McMahon in the 1980’s was considerably more humble than he is today. As for Hulk Hogan, I suspect that McMahon would’ve found a way to get him to come to the WWF, because of Verne Gagne. Gagne simply doesn’t impress me as being smart enough to appreciate the long term value of keeping Hogan, and I can very easily see Hogan going to the WWF in the late 1980’s in this scenario. Although, as a Randy Savage fan, I would’ve loved to have seen Savage (and Miss Elizabeth) be the face of the WWF for years.

Well, he and Sarge did bury the hatchet later, so it could happen, certainly. I'm just saying at the time, they'd only just had the falling out.

Vince also wanted David Von Erich as well. It's likely if he took Kerry and David (if David had not died), he probably would've made an offer to Fritz like he did to Stu Hart. Though World Class was profitable, Fritz was getting older and could have been looking for something to retire on. Again, that's pure speculation on my part and it's just as unlikely to be the case. When David died, even though World Class had another couple of years, it was all downhill from there... Especially after Gino Hernandez died and Kerry had his accident. If Fritz could have gotten out before the downfall came, he may have saved the lives of his sons as well as so much more of the heartache that was to come with it. Might have.

You're right about Gagne. He was too set in his old ways to change with the times and as an old wrestler, there's no way he would be able to compete with a businessman of Vince's caliber. Also, keep in mind, Hogan was going to go where the money was. If Vince offered him more bread, there's no way Hogan turns him down.

You're right about Gagne. He was too set in his old ways to change with the times and as an old wrestler, there's no way he would be able to compete with a businessman of Vince's caliber. Also, keep in mind, Hogan was going to go where the money was. If Vince offered him more bread, there's no way Hogan turns him down.

True, but there's a world of difference between leaving for greener pastures after your contract ends, and jumping ship in the middle of renegotiations when you still have three or four years left and you've been offered everything you want. Even if Vince can cover the buyout, it's still a PR disaster for Hogan if it gets out, and one way or another, it will. That sort of thing defines "burning your bridges behind you."

Still, that only means Hogan stays at AWA until ca. 1988. That means that Pro Wrestling USA is potentially an even bigger mess.

Short of time travel (which belongs on Alien Space Bats), or direct sabotage of a WWF event (which sooner or later will be found out), is there any way to derail Vince McMahon's eventual monopoly with a POD after 1980?

In a scenario where Hogan stays in the AWA in 1983, his being AWA champion would increase his drawing power whenever he choose to leave the AWA. Undoubtedly, McMahon would make Hogan a huge offer in order to sign him away from Gagne. I could see Hogan leaving for the WWF in around 1987, befriending WWF champion Randy Savage and his manager Miss Elizabeth, eventually feuding with Savage over Elizabeth, and winning the WWF title from Savage. A feud between Savage and Hogan would be just the catalyst for the WWF becoming the dominant federation. In any business battle between Jim Crockett, Fritz Von Erich, Verne Gagne, and McMahon, my money is on Vince. Even if Hogan were to somehow stay in the AWA, I’m convinced that McMahon would’ve still signed away other talent from the AWA such as Jesse Ventura, Gene Okerlund, Bobby Heenan, Curt Henning, etc. As for Fritz Von Erich selling World Class to Titan Sports, keep in mind that in 1984, World Class was worth a whole lot more than Stu Hart’s Stampede Wrestling group. Vince didn’t have the money in 1984 to give Fritz what World Class was worth. By the time Vince did have the money to buy World Class, with the Von Erich family in dire straits; it was no longer worth purchasing.

True, but there's a world of difference between leaving for greener pastures after your contract ends, and jumping ship in the middle of renegotiations when you still have three or four years left and you've been offered everything you want. Even if Vince can cover the buyout, it's still a PR disaster for Hogan if it gets out, and one way or another, it will. That sort of thing defines "burning your bridges behind you."

Still, that only means Hogan stays at AWA until ca. 1988. That means that Pro Wrestling USA is potentially an even bigger mess.

Short of time travel (which belongs on Alien Space Bats), or direct sabotage of a WWF event (which sooner or later will be found out), is there any way to derail Vince McMahon's eventual monopoly with a POD after 1980?

There had been threats against WWF events many times. Vince would always have security very prepared. Granted, he may seem insane or at the very least out of it now, but in those days, he was hyper-competent. If someone had sabatoged him, I have no doubts he would have responded. As far as anyone beating McMahon? The only chance came when WCW was riding high and that was REALLY close. Had WCW been run by someone who was as good as Vince, then I have no doubts they would've put the WWF under. But that was the only way. Other than that, none of the old school promoters stood a chance.

In a scenario where Hogan stays in the AWA in 1983, his being AWA champion would increase his drawing power whenever he choose to leave the AWA. Undoubtedly, McMahon would make Hogan a huge offer in order to sign him away from Gagne. I could see Hogan leaving for the WWF in around 1987, befriending WWF champion Randy Savage and his manager Miss Elizabeth, eventually feuding with Savage over Elizabeth, and winning the WWF title from Savage. A feud between Savage and Hogan would be just the catalyst for the WWF becoming the dominant federation. In any business battle between Jim Crockett, Fritz Von Erich, Verne Gagne, and McMahon, my money is on Vince. Even if Hogan were to somehow stay in the AWA, I’m convinced that McMahon would’ve still signed away other talent from the AWA such as Jesse Ventura, Gene Okerlund, Bobby Heenan, Curt Henning, etc. As for Fritz Von Erich selling World Class to Titan Sports, keep in mind that in 1984, World Class was worth a whole lot more than Stu Hart’s Stampede Wrestling group. Vince didn’t have the money in 1984 to give Fritz what World Class was worth. By the time Vince did have the money to buy World Class, with the Von Erich family in dire straits; it was no longer worth purchasing.

You're right about that. By 1986 though, World Class was finished all but on paper. They really fell an astonishing amount in very short order from the very respectable heights they'd reached. Reasons being David and Gino dying, Kerry's accident, Mike's toxic shock syndrome and Fritz's onscreen heart attack angle. Gary Hart said in his Guest Booker shoot, filmed two days before his own death, that Fritz was hardly running things by 1985 and wanted to bring in Ken Mantell which is when Hart left. Mantell's horrible booking killed off whatever had been left over after all the problems. If Vince HAD made the right offer, I'm sure Fritz would've taken it given his age and also, what father wouldn't want his sons to succeed if Vince was going to bring both Kerry and David in as he'd wanted to do. Granted, it's certainly no promise, but I could see it as a plausible scenario. Besides, Vince could be anxious to get into the Dallas market and it could be a lot easier to make a deal with Fritz at the time than to just try to outspend him, which he could have done anyway. But if David doesn't die in Japan and all the horrible sliding bad luck is avoided, it would have been costly to fight for the Dallas market.

I don't know if it's ever been mentioned, but I've gathered from what I've heard that Vince's first instinct was to attempt to buy out other promoters rather than directly compete with them. The Tunney's and Stu Hart and the Brisco's all went that way. Others like Verne and Watts wanted to try and fight him. Watts lost out because he waited too long to go national. If he'd done it sooner, he would have avoided the oil recession in the Gulf that destroyed his ticket sales.

When you look back at the 1980’s pro wrestling scene, you begin to realize that Vince McMahon had two great advantages over his competitors, his business acumen and his competitors’ lack of it. Even if the Von Erichs hadn’t self destructed, Fritz lacked the ability to maintain World Class’s success beyond the eventual retirement of his sons. Even if Magnum TA hadn’t been in a motorcycle accident, Jim Crockett still would have spent more money than he was taking in, and that is always a recipe for business disaster. Even if Hulk Hogan had stayed in the AWA, he would eventually left for more money, because Verne Gagne was too stuck in his ways to adapt to what the WWF was doing. Keep in mind, Gagne had both the Road Warriors and Hulk Hogan at the same time, and didn’t keep them in the AWA.

The only way with a POD after 1980 that the WWF doesn’t wind up the dominant federation is for Ted Turner to have purchased Jim Crockett Productions earlier than he did in OTL, and for Turner to put the same of amount of resources in pro wrestling that he wound up doing in OTL in 1995. If Turner had gone after the WWF in 1985, as aggressively as he did in OTL in 1995, he could have beaten them and established TTL's version of the WCW as the dominant federation. Of course, in OTL, Turner was busy making himself a lot of money in other areas during those ten years, which is why he waited before going full bore at the WWF. If Turner had gone after McMahon in 1985, by the end of the 1990’s, the WWF would have been driven out of business.

Well, how about if Gene LeBell and Barry Owen had decided to team up in 1983, and combined Hollywood Wrestling and NWA Pacific Northwest into a new promotion that effectively carried the whole West Coast, plus Nevada and Arizona, with national ambitions much like McMahon and Crockett? Between LeBell's martial arts cred and grappler training record and Owen's connections I think they could have given the WWF a real run for its money.

The only question is, who would carry their show? NWA/WCW had TBS, WWF had syndication partially through NBC plus USA, and AWA had ESPN. Fox wouldn't start broadcasting until 1986, which is a lot of ground to make up for, and Rupert Murdoch would be a rather tough sell.