Would a German victory in WW1 create a "better" present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but wouldn't we be likely to see something like *Nazi France as a result of this? There was already a lot of hatred and racism toward Germans as a result of Alsace-Lorraine; if this were compounded by war reparations similar to those placed on Germany IOTL and the annexation of even further land, I don't think it's a stretch to see a far-right France mobilize its large population and carry out a genocidal campaign of revenge against people considered to be German. The revenge mentality was already there in WWI; by *WWII it might be even worse than Germany's was.

The problem with this is that it sets the stage for German meddling, so in all liklihood France would be like OTL with a discredited view of war. Heck, they WON WW1 and thought they had nothing to gain in war against a weak Germany in WW2, and just kind sat back and got easily intimidated into capitulation. A France that loses 1870 and then loses 1915-1917 is pretty much a pushover, probably a nominal German ally as they are simply too close for comfort and not willing to duke it out.

Unlikely well the French are likily to go nazi there country was smaller and weaker then Germany it wouldn't be able to do as much damage.
I'm curious as to a couple points in your reasoning:

1. Why would the size or military strength of a country determine its propensity toward racism or autocracy?
2. A highly militarized France, especially alongside a similarly revenge driven *USSR certainly could do great damage to Germany and have done so OTL. Size of a country does not necessarily determine military capability.

IMHO the real danger of any timeline is that it butterflies away a World War that allowed nukes to be used without the capacity to truely cause nuclear annihilation. It seems reasonable to assume that, as with all scientific progress, nukes are all but inevitable to show up. If they show up in a world that hasn't yet worked out how bad a world war can get and especially not how bad a nuclear world war can get, the ATL may well get much, much worse quickly.

Of course the other problem with that kind of question is that in addition to all the butterflies, it's so hard to agree on what a "better" world is supposed to be. To me everything that spreads enlightenment further around the world is better, and in the 18th and 19th century, Germany was actually doing pretty well in that department. Plus a German victory might have avoided the Soviet Union, which has been a pretty significant setback for enlightenment. But as I said, there is the whole thermonuclear war thing that you risk if militarism Europe isn't curbed by two world wars.

The problem with this is that it sets the stage for German meddling, so in all liklihood France would be like OTL with a discredited view of war. Heck, they WON WW1 and thought they had nothing to gain in war against a weak Germany in WW2, and just kind sat back and got easily intimidated into capitulation. A France that loses 1870 and then loses 1915-1917 is pretty much a pushover, probably a nominal German ally as they are simply too close for comfort and not willing to duke it out.
Hmmm, I can see this outcome. However, I'm not so sure France would be willing to roll over. Going from a world power to a German satellite is a pretty big fall from grace. I can also see a totalitarian French state rationalizing their losses by chalking up 1870 to being unprepared for Germany's commitment to total war and WWI to British cowardice. Plus, if the *USSR were willing for a rematch (and they, at least, most certainly WOULD be) I would predict France being pretty excited about recovering historically French lands from the barbaric Germans and then some. I have trouble seeing France sitting comfortably next to a Germany that keeps annexing their lands.

Hmmm, I can see this outcome. However, I'm not so sure France would be willing to roll over. Going from a world power to a German satellite is a pretty big fall from grace. I can also see a totalitarian French state rationalizing their losses by chalking up 1870 to being unprepared for Germany's commitment to total war and WWI to British cowardice. Plus, if the *USSR were willing for a rematch (and they, at least, most certainly WOULD be) I would predict France being pretty excited about recovering historically French lands from the barbaric Germans and then some. I have trouble seeing France sitting comfortably next to a Germany that keeps annexing their lands.

The USSR would not only face the problem of having hostiles on its entire western border, but with a surviving Ukraine also the problem of not having access to either its industrial potential (aka Don-bass), or its grainexports and thus foreign exchange -> building up a industrial base strong enough to take on even its united ex-territories would be rather difficult for a many more years. At which point Germany is more than quite likely to have many WMD with appropiate delivery vehicles.

That is, of course, if the USSR a) comes into being in the first place, and b) said USSR survives against the now better supported whites.

Out of curiosity, what is "enlightenment" for you?

In a strict sense I mean the moral philosophy that appeared in the period, which seems to have found it's relative culmination with the works of Kant and Fichte, perhaps Hegel.

In a more general sense the idea that there are absolute, objective standards that apply to everyone, that everyone is equal (though the question who counts as "everyone" is tricky) and that the creation and protection of freedom is the fundamental goal of society and, by extension, the state.

Deleted member 1487

The issue is that France is a more liberal nation than Germany. They don't have the base to have a Fascist regime; when they did with Vichy that was imposed externally and the de Gaulle regime was the result of the military and de Gaulle personally being vindicated for being the winners in the end. That would not be the case here and instead the defeat would be blamed on joining the war to support Russia, rather than on more military preparations next time; in fact the military would be blamed for the defeat in the first place and screwing up the war, so rather than trying again after two defeats, its better to go to the left than right; it was like Germany after WW2, two defeats in a row is enough, best not try against, France is not up to Germany's caliber, just accept and accommodate reality.

Plus part of being a satellite of Germany means not having to power to resist her again. Germany could do what it did during WW2 as the result of the Allies pulling all troops out of Germany by 1930:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remil...The_foreign_policies_of_the_interested_powers
The Versailles Treaty also stipulated that the Allied military forces would withdraw from the Rhineland in 1935, although they actually withdrew in 1930. The German Foreign Minister Gustav Stresemann announced in 1929 that Germany would not ratify the 1928 Young Plan for continuing to pay reparations unless the Allies agreed to leave the Rhineland in 1930. The British delegation at the Hague Conference on German reparations in 1929 (headed by Philip Snowden, Chancellor of the Exchequer, and including Arthur Henderson, Foreign Secretary) proposed that the reparations paid by Germany should be reduced and that the British and French forces should evacuate the Rhineland. Henderson persuaded the skeptical French Premier, Aristide Briand, to accept the proposal that all Allied occupation forces would evacuate the Rhineland by June 1930. The last British soldiers left in late 1929 and the last French soldiers left in June 1930. As long as the French continued to occupy the Rhineland, the Rhineland functioned as a form of "collateral" under which the French would respond to any German attempt at overt rearmament by annexing the Rhineland. It was the fear that the French would take this step that had deterred successive Weimar governments not to attempt any overt breaches of Part V and VI of Versailles, which had disarmed Germany (as opposed to covert rearmament which began as almost as soon as Versailles was signed). Once the last French soldiers left the Rhineland in June 1930, it could no longer play its "collateral" role, which thus opened the door to German rearmament. The French decision to build the Maginot Line in 1929 (which cost hundreds of millions of francs) was a tacit French admission that it was only a matter of time before German rearmament on a massive scale would begin sometime in the 1930s and that the Rhineland was going to be remilitarized sooner or later.[8][9] Intelligence from the Deuxième Bureau indicated that the Germany had been violating Versailles continuously all though the 1920s with the considerable help of the Soviet Union, and with the French troops out of the Rhineland, it could only be expected that Germany would become more open about violating Versailles.[10] The Maginot line in its turn lessened the importance of the Rhineland's demilitarized status from a French security viewpoint.

France was a lot weaker than Germany after WW1 even with Versailles; Germany would be a lot stronger than France after an early victory in WW1 and wouldn't make the same mistake of letting France off lightly after the Franco-Prussian war:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Frankfurt_(1871)
  • Regulated the payment of France's war indemnity of five billion francs (due within five years).
  • Required military occupation in parts of France until the indemnity was paid (to the surprise of Germany, the French paid the indemnity quickly).

I have trouble seeing France sitting comfortably next to a Germany that keeps annexing their lands.

What could they do about it? Germany would have a 60-80% larger population with an economy more than twice their size, if not more. They would have a large standing army which will move in the moment they smell trouble.

France would be happier to worry about their colonial empire and pay tribute to the German hordes next door than risk losing the northeast of France and its industry for good.

Deleted member 1487

What could they do about it? Germany would have a 60-80% larger population with an economy more than twice their size, if not more. They would have a large standing army which will move in the moment they smell trouble.

France would be happier to worry about their colonial empire and pay tribute to the German hordes next door than risk losing the northeast of France and its industry for good.
Exactly. Just like West Germany realized it was better not to be in charge and let their larger neighbor run the show, France ITTL would be in the position of West Germany after WW2.

Exactly. Just like West Germany realized it was better not to be in charge and let their larger neighbor run the show, France ITTL would be in the position of West Germany after WW2.
I would argue that it could be more revanchist than West Germany was, but in the end it wouldn't matter much, since it would lack any ability to enact revenge. If more or France is annexed one might very well see a substantial amount of terrorism in the area.

Deleted member 1487

I would argue that it could be more revanchist than West Germany was, but in the end it wouldn't matter much, since it would lack any ability to enact revenge. If more or France is annexed one might very well see a substantial amount of terrorism in the area.
There wasn't in annexed areas of France after 1871, nor in Alsace in 1919, nor in Alsace in 1940-45 (that weren't connected to OSS/SOE operations), nor again in Alsace after 1945. Plus the Germans would crush any resistance and probably ethnically cleanse areas and bring in German settlers, while maintaining occupation troops and their version of Gendarmie. In anti-German areas of Alsace-Lorraine before 1914 they had some unrest, but garrisoned troops there and prevented violence.

There wasn't in annexed areas of France after 1871, nor in Alsace in 1919, nor in Alsace in 1940-45 (that weren't connected to OSS/SOE operations), nor again in Alsace after 1945. Plus the Germans would crush any resistance and probably ethnically cleanse areas and bring in German settlers, while maintaining occupation troops and their version of Gendarmie. In anti-German areas of Alsace-Lorraine before 1914 they had some unrest, but garrisoned troops there and prevented violence.
Good points.

I would say that the political mobilization was larger in 1919 than 1871 and that Alsace was more France leaning in general than German leaning which would explain the situation in Alsace in 1919. Anyway, there might be some, might not.

My main point however was that France would be more antagonistic than West Germany was as France had only been destroyed in a large regional war and one world war while West Germany had lost two world wars, the last one an even more morally disgusting one than other wars. West Germany also had the situation with East Germany that further emphasized the need to look for friends in the west as an anchor against the east. Westpolitik before Ostpolitik so to speak.

In a strict sense I mean the moral philosophy that appeared in the period, which seems to have found it's relative culmination with the works of Kant and Fichte, perhaps Hegel.

In a more general sense the idea that there are absolute, objective standards that apply to everyone, that everyone is equal (though the question who counts as "everyone" is tricky) and that the creation and protection of freedom is the fundamental goal of society and, by extension, the state.
Kant, Fichte and Hegel were certainly well before this period! :D It would seem likely that Marx defined the period more than any other philosopher, what with the USSR becoming a thing and all.

In any case, these goals were certainly not the pursuit of the participating powers in WWI. That war was perhaps a phenomenal example of states looking out for theirselves; millions of people died horrible, horrible deaths, all in the name of ego, power, and maybe a bit of land in Africa. Perhaps for the best, though, as states that pursue such ideas as you're putting forth have a nasty track record of committing horrible atrocities in the name of said ideas.
The USSR would not only face the problem of having hostiles on its entire western border, but with a surviving Ukraine also the problem of not having access to either its industrial potential (aka Don-bass), or its grainexports and thus foreign exchange -> building up a industrial base strong enough to take on even its united ex-territories would be rather difficult for a many more years. At which point Germany is more than quite likely to have many WMD with appropiate delivery vehicles.

That is, of course, if the USSR a) comes into being in the first place, and b) said USSR survives against the now better supported whites.
I assumed that a USSR of sorts would come into existence since the POD is so close to the USSR's formation. Even with increased German funding to the Whites, I imagine the resulting backlash at the perception of them receiving support from the victorious enemy to keep the Russian people down would garner even more support for the Reds.

In any case, Russia is vastly resource rich and would be able (especially if they have a leader similarly ruthless to Stalin) to bolster other areas of industry and still pose a dangerous threat to Germany. You could be right about the wall of Eastern European puppets providing an effective deterrent though; OTL Ukraine was a maybe a bit TOO excited to be free of Russian influence in WWII. However, I cede my point about Nazi France; wiking provided a very good argument and I can follow how they would be unable to pose much of a threat.

tenthring

Banned
Defeating France is hard to do in 1914. Battle of the Marne failed for obvious reasons. Maybe without the British Germans can win race to the sea, but that doesn't win them the war. Maybe a year later, but not in 1914.

The best outcome would be for Britain to remain neutral but to mediate some kind of peace in early 1915. This seems possible given the state of Austria Hungary at the time and France still being in the war.

The possibility of Britain involving itself on the continent might be enough to scare Germany into settling for reasonable gains. Have both sides sell it as an embracing of the Christmas Truce of 1914.

Also, losses in 1914/1915 were enough that I don't think anyone would consider it an easy victory. There is going to be war weariness on both sides.

My thripenny bit for the debate

This may help. . . Article by John J. Reilly:

In a way, this is a more interesting hypothesis than the more commonly asked question about what the world would be like if the Germans had won World War II. Several historians have noted that both world wars should really be considered a single conflict with a long armistice in the middle. If this viewpoint is valid, then the official outcome of the first phase of this conflict may have been important for reasons other than those usually cited.

As a preliminary matter, we should note that the actual outcome of the First World War was a near thing, a far nearer thing than was the outcome of World War II after 1941. While it is true that the United States entered the war on the allied side in 1917, thus providing vast new potential sources of men and material, it is also true that Germany had knocked Russia out of the war at about the same time. This gave the Germans access to the resources of Eastern Europe and freed their troops for deployment to the West. The German Spring Offensive of 1918 actually succeeded in rupturing the Allied line at a point where the Allies had no significant reserves. (At about this time, British Prime Minister Lloyd George was heard to remark, "We are going to lose this war". He began to create a record which would shift the blame to others.)

The British Summer Offensive of the same year similarly breached the German lines, but did a much better job of exploiting the breakthrough than the Germans had done a few months earlier. General Luddendorf panicked and demanded that the government seek an armistice. The German army did succeed in containing the Allied breakthrough, but meanwhile the German diplomats had opened tentative armistice discussions with the United States. Given U.S. President Wilson's penchant for diplomacy by press-release, the discussions could not be broken off even though the German military situation was no longer critical. While the Germans were not militarily defeated, or even economically desperate, the government and general public saw no prospect of winning. Presented with the possibility of negotiating a settlement, their willingness to continue the conflict simply dissolved.

The Germans were defeated by exhaustion ["The wearing-out fight"]. This could as easily have happened to the Allies. When you read the diaries and reports of the French and British on the Western Front from early 1918, the writers seem to be perfectly lucid and in full command of their faculties. What the Americans noted when they started to arrive at about that time was that everyone at the front was not only dirty and malnourished, but half asleep.

In addition to their other deleterious effects, the terrible trench warfare battles of that conflict were remarkably exhausting, and the capacity of the Allies to rotate out survivors diminished with the passage of time. Even with American assistance, France and Britain were societies that were slowly falling apart from lack of ordinary maintenance. Both faced food shortages from the diversion of farmers into the army and from attacks on ocean borne supplies. Had the Germans been able to exploit their breakthrough in the spring, or if the German Empire had held together long enough for Luddendorf's planned autumn offensive to take place, its quite likely that either the French or British would have sued for peace. Had one or the other even raised the question of an armistice, the same process of internal political collapse which destroyed Germany would have overtaken both of them.

Although today it is reasonably clear that Germany fought the war with the general aim of transforming itself from a merely continental power to a true world power, the fact is that at no point did the German government know just what its peace terms would be if it won. It might have annexed Belgium and part of the industrial regions of northern France, though bringing hostile, non-German populations into the Empire might not have seemed such a good idea if the occasion actually arose. More likely, or more rationally, the Germans would have contented themselves with demilitarizing these areas.

From the British, they would probably have demanded nothing but more African colonies and the unrestricted right to expand the German High Seas Fleet. In Eastern Europe, they would be more likely to have established friendly satellite countries in areas formerly belonging to the defunct empires than to have directly annexed much territory. It seems to me that the Austrian and Ottoman Empires were just as likely to have fallen apart even if the Central Powers had won. The Hungarians were practically independent before the war, after all, and the chaos caused by the eclipse of Russia would have created opportunities for them which they could exploit only without the restraint of Vienna. As for the Ottoman Empire, most of it had already fallen to British invasion or native revolt. No one would have seen much benefit in putting it back together again, not even the Turks.

Communist agitation was an important factor in the dissolution of Imperial Germany, and it would probably have been important to the collapse of France and Britain, too. One can imagine Soviets being established in Glasgow and the north of England, a new Commune in Paris. This could even have happened in New York, dominated as it was by immigrant groups who were either highly radicalized or anti-British. It is unlikely that any of these rebellions would have succeeded in establishing durable Communist regimes in the West, however. The Soviets established in Germany and Eastern Europe after the war did not last, even though the central government had dissolved. In putting down such uprisings, France might have experienced a bout of military dictatorship, not unlike the Franco era in Spain, and Britain might have become a republic.

Still, although the public life of these countries would have been polarized and degraded, they would probably have remained capitalist democracies. The U.S., one suspects, would have reacted to the surrender or forced withdrawal of its European expeditionary force by beginning to adopt the attitude toward German-dominated Europe which it did later in the century toward the victorious Soviet Union. Britain, possibly with its empire in premature dissolution, would have been forced to seek a strong Atlantic alliance. As for the Soviet Union in this scenario, it is hard to imagine the Germans putting up with its existence after it had served its purpose.

Doubtless some surviving Romanov could have been put on the throne of a much- diminished Russia. If no Romanov was available, Germany has never lacked for princelings willing to be sent abroad to govern improvised countries.

This leaves us with the most interesting question: what would have happened to Germany itself? Before the war, the German constitution was working less and less well. Reich chancellors were not responsible to parliament but to the Kaiser. The system could work only when the Kaiser was himself a competent executive, or when he had the sense to appoint and support a chancellor who was.

The reign of Wilhelm II showed that neither of these conditions need be the case. In the twenty years preceding the war, national policy was made more and more by the army and the bureaucracy. It is unlikely that this degree of drift could have continued after a victorious war. Two things would have happened which in fact happened in the real world: the monarchy would have lost prestige to the military, and electoral politics would have fallen more and more under the influence of populist veterans groups.

We should remember that to win a great war can be almost as disruptive for a combatant country as to lose it. There was a prolonged political crisis, indeed the whiff of revolution, in victorious Britain in the 1920s. Something similar seems to be happening in the United States today after the Cold War. While it is, of course, unlikely that the Kaiser would have been overthrown, it is highly probable that there would have been some constitutional crisis which would have drastically altered the relationship between the branches of government.

It would have been in the military's interest to push for more democracy in the Reich government, since the people would have been conspicuously pro-military. The social and political roles of the old aristocracy would have declined, since the war would have brought forward so many men of humble origin. Again, this is very much what happened in real history. If Germany had won and the Allies lost, the emphasis in these developments would certainly have been different, but not the fundamental trends.

All the bad and strange things which happened in Germany in the 1920s are conventionally blamed on the harsh terms of the Versailles treaty. We forget, however, that the practical effect of these terms was really very limited. The diplomatic disabilities on Germany were eliminated by the Locarno Pact of 1925. The great Weimar inflation, which was engineered by the government to defeat French attempts to extract reparations, was ended in 1923.

The reparations themselves, of course, were a humiliating drain on the German budget, but a system of financing with international loans was arranged which worked satisfactorily until the world financial system broke down in the early 1930s. Even arms development was continued through clandestine projects with the Soviet Union. It is also false to assert that German culture was driven to insanity by a pervasive sense of defeat. The 1920s were the age of the Lost Generation in America and the Bright Young Things in Britain.

A reader ignorant of the history of the 20th century who was given samples from this literature that did not contain actual references to the war could reasonably conclude that he was reading the literature of defeated peoples. There was indeed insanity in culture in the 1920s, but the insanity pervaded the whole West.

Weimar culture would have happened even if there had been no Weimar Republic. We know this, since all the major themes of the Weimar period, the new art and revolutionary politics and sexual liberation, all began before the war. This was a major argument of the remarkable book, RITES OF SPRING, by the Canadian scholar, Modris Ekstein. There would still have been Bauhaus architecture and surrealist cinema and depressing war novels if the Kaiser had issued a victory proclamation in late 1918 rather than an instrument of abdication. There would even have been a DECLINE OF THE WEST by Oswald Spengler in 1918. He began working on it years before the war. The book was, in fact, written in part to explain the significance of a German victory.

These things were simply extensions of the trends that had dominated German culture for a generation. They grew logically out of Nietzsche and Wagner and Freud. A different outcome in the First World War would probably have made the political right less suspicious of modernity, for the simple reason that left wing politics would not have been anywhere nearly as fashionable among artists as such politics were in defeat.

I would go so far as to say this: something very like the Nazi Party would still have come to power in Germany, even if that country had won the First World War. I realize that this assertion runs counter to the historiography of most of this century, but the conclusion is inescapable. Politics is a part of culture, and the Nazis represented a kind of politics which was integral with Weimar culture. Salvador Dali once said, perhaps ironically, that he approved of the Nazi Party because they represented the surrealists come to power. The connection is deep, as with the Nazi affinity for the modernist post-rationalism of the philosopher Heidigger, and also superficial, in the styles the party promoted.

The Nuremberg Rallies, for instance, were masterpieces of Art Deco stagecraft, particularly Albert Speer's "cathedral of ice" effect, created with the use of searchlights. As a young hopeful in Vienna, Hitler once passed up the chance to work as a theatrical set designer because he was too shy to go to the interview. But whether he knew it or not, that is what he became. People with no fascist inclinations at all love to watch film footage produced by the Nazis, for the simple reason that it is very good cinema: it comes from the same artistic culture which gave us METROPOLIS and THE BLUE ANGEL. The Weimar Republic and the Third Reich formed a historical unit, one whose advent was not dependent on the accident of who won the First World War.

The Nazi Party was other things besides a right wing populist group with a penchant for snazzy uniforms. It was a millenarian movement. The term "Third Reich," "Drittes Reich," is an old term for the Millennium. The Party's core began as a sort of occult lodge, like the Thule Society of Munich to which so many of its important early members belonged. It promoted a racist theory of history not unlike that of the Theosophist, H.P. Blavatsky, whose movement also used the swastika as an emblem. The little-read ideological guidebook of the party, Alfred Rosenberg's MYTH OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, begins its study of history in Atlantis. Like the Theosophists, they looked for a new "root race" of men to appear in the future, perhaps with some artificial help. When Hitler spoke of the Master Race, it is not entirely clear that he was thinking of contemporary Germans.

This is not to say that the Nazi Party was a conspiracy of evil magicians. A good, non- conspiratorial account of this disconcerting matter may be found in James Webb's THE OCCULT ESTABLISHMENT. I have two simple points to make here. The first is that the leadership had some very odd notions that, at least to some degree, explain the unique things they said and did. The other is that these ideas were not unique to them, that they were spreading among the German elites. General Von Moltke, the chief of the General Staff at the beginning of the war, was an Anthroposophist. (This group drew the peculiar ire of the SS, since Himmler believed that its leader, Rudolf Steiner, hypnotized the general so as to make him mismanage the invasion of France.)

The Nazi Party was immensely popular on university campuses. The intellectual climate of early 20th century Germany was extraordinarily friendly to mysticism of all types, including in politics. The Nazi leadership were just particularly nasty people whose worldview bore a family resemblance to that of Herman Hesse and C.G. Jung. The same would probably have been true of anyone who ruled Germany in the 1930s.

Am I saying then that German defeat in the First World War made no difference? Hardly. If the war had not been lost, the establishment would have been much less discredited, and there would have been less room for the ignorant eccentrics who led the Nazi Party. Certainly people with no qualifications for higher command, such as Goering, would not have been put in charge of the Luftwaffe, nor would the Foreign Ministry have been given over to so empty-headed a man as Von Ribbentrop. As for the fate of Hitler himself, who can say?

The big difference would have been that Germany would been immensely stronger and more competent by the late 1930s than it was in the history we know. That another war would have been brewed by then we may be sure. Hitler was only secondarily interested in revenge for the First World War; his primary goal had always been geopolitical expansion into Eastern Europe and western Asia. This would have given Germany the Lebensraum to become a world power. His ideas on the subject were perfectly coherent, and not original with him: they were almost truisms. There is no reason to think that the heirs of a German victory in 1918 (or 1919, or 1920) would have been less likely to pursue these objectives.

These alternative German leaders would doubtless have been reacting in part to some new coalition aligned against them. Its obvious constituents would have been Britain, the United States and Russia, assuming Britain and Russia had a sufficient degree of independence to pursue such a policy. One suspects that if the Germans pursued a policy of aggressive colonial expansion in the 1920s and 30s, they might have succeeded in alienating the Japanese, who could have provided a fourth to the coalition.

Germany for its part would begun the war with complete control of continental Europe and probably effective control of north Africa and the Near East. It would also have started with a real navy, so that Britain's position could have quickly become untenable. The coalition's chances in such a war would not have been hopeless, but they would been desperate.

It is commonly said of the First World War that it was pure waste, that it was an accident, that it accomplished nothing. The analysis I have just presented, on the contrary, suggests that the "war to end all war" may have been the most important war of the modern era after all.

Article Written by (c) John J. Reilly, website.

Bonanza

Banned
Since a German victory in WW I would have almost certainly prevented Hitler and World War II - and perhaps even Communism in Russia - the answer is yes

If you aren't a Pole, Ukranian, Armenian or Balt, then yeah! :DDD

Overall there would surely be less death, as stuff like WWII and the Holocaust are off the picture, but Europe (and the world) would be more authoritarian IMO.

Also I don't believe in the "France will attack Germany for A-L forever" logic, I think the French will just sit and deal with it after a CP victory. They would surely move if let's say... The Russians are on Berlin.

No.

The whole idea is a myth spread by American isolationists who blame British and French for turning American foreign policy away from isolationism.

and a early german victory would prevent the spanish flu from happening, that is another 100-150M people that continue to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.