Would a fascist US join Nazi Germany?

Fascism was never a unified ideology, every fascist government had a different interpretation of it and having a similar ideology doesn't mean you are automatically on the same team (ex. Yugoslav-Soviet split).
In your opinion would a fascist US be on the same team of Nazi Germany, on the side of GB or be neutral in WW2?

Last edited:
I bet even a fascist America would be utterly horrified by the Holocaust and seek to distance itself from the perpetrators of such an atrocity.

A homegrown fascist movement (one which isn’t merely an extension of the Italian and German foreign ministries) would I think have close links to the Anglo-Saxon East Coast elite many of whom were Anglophiles. For all that they were occasional rivals the financial, cultural, and political links between America and Britain were strong, and the interests of these two nations aligned in many cases, particularly when it came to containing Japanese aggression in the far east. For these reasons I believe a fascist USA would probably be tentatively pro-British.

Last edited:
I bet even a fascist America would be utterly horrified by the Holocaust and seek to distance itself from the perpetrators of such an atrocity.
During the war nobody knew about the Holocaust, but I agree with that, the Nazis didn't tell the Germans what they were doing to Jews.

Chapman

Donor
It's possible they could try to be something of a bridge between the UK and Germany, depending on how exact events flow. I don't realistically see them joining Nazi Germany, less for the fact that they would be concerned by the racist aspects of the regime and more for the fact that there would be too much bad blood from WW1. A large part of Hitler's rhetoric was about how the Allied powers humiliated Germany, how they broke Germany down and tried to neuter their nation. If somehow the US went fascist in between WW1 and WW2 without impacting Hitler's rise to power, I see it as possible that he could soften his rhetoric towards the Americans but still unlikely that they would be allies. As has been noted the links between the US and the UK were much deeper and more meaningful for much of the nation, while relations with Germany are lukewarm at best. It's also possible that, as major fascist powers, they could agree the Soviets are the much bigger threat and join together against them. So long as the Nazis don't try to dominate western Europe, they have the chance to actually impose lebensraum on the east.

I seriously doubt it.

Isolationism is possible but Germany is just so freaking overwhelimingly agressive and allied to Japan thats the same that it would most likely lead to the US being their enemy.

Wouldn’t a fascist USA conquer Canada or Mexico or both?

Canada is honestly a coin flip pretty sure the UK could prevent that through diplomacy. Mexico? Only invades if some one crossed the boarder and even then only a chunk of Mexico would be taken not the whole thing.

Extremely unlikely. The strains of fascism in the USA at the time were mostly against interventionism and more isolationist. America First and all that.

Best I can imagine is open trade and support to fight the USSR.

Fascism was never a unified ideology, every fascist government had a different interpretation of it and having a similar ideology doesn't mean you are automatically on the same team (ex. Yugoslav-Soviet split).
In your opinion would a fascist US be on the same team of Nazi Germany, on the side of GB or be neutral in WW2?
The POD for an American fascist regime would probably lead to radically different circumstances worldwide, including in Germany.

I don't think so, no, and for two reasons.

First, Hitler absolutely hated Americans and viewed the US as 'decayed' and Americans themselves as stupid. He apparently considered some Native Americans to be Aryan, but we don't really know much on that because he didn't talk about it a lot. Honestly, the way the Nazis viewed race is pretty different than an American PoV and I'd argue Hitler's views were probably informed mainly by German Westerns (a genre of Westerns written by Karl May, which Hitler apparently liked when he was younger).

Second, American Fascism at the time was extremely isolationist as others have mentioned, and xenophobic in a different way in that.. they hated all foreigners, basically. The Klan, as an example, didn't just hate Blacks and Jews, but also Catholics, Italians, Germans, basically anyone not Anglo-Saxon Protestants. That's a super simplification of course (and if needed, I can try to find some sources), but I imagine a Fascist America would likely remain neutral in the war and pretty isolated. I don't even know if they'd get involved against Japan.

Theoretically, you miiiight be able to get a Fascist US that may be able to ignore the second and considering Hitler also looked down on Italians but was allied with Italy.. It's possible a US under Hearst (was he really a fascist?) or Charles Coughlin (not really possible) maaaay actually ally with Hitler. Or at least trade.

I think it'd probably be a better bet to get an Authoritarian US instead of a Fascist one aligned with the Axis honestly.

First, Hitler absolutely hated Americans and viewed the US as 'decayed' and Americans themselves as stupid. He apparently considered some Native Americans to be Aryan, but we don't really know much on that because he didn't talk about it a lot. Honestly, the way the Nazis viewed race is pretty different than an American PoV and I'd argue Hitler's views were probably informed mainly by German Westerns (a genre of Westerns written by Karl May, which Hitler apparently liked when he was younger).
AFAIK Hitler thought the German descendants (who obviously are responsible for all of the US successes) were under a Jewish conspiracy by the government. He admired the US for Manifest of Destiny and Segregation.

If Charles Lindbergh had got elected in Nov. 1940 - I could see aid for the UK being cut back, no L-L, any expansion in the US military would be aimed at bolstering the Pacific.
Internal politics, would stick to 'America First', while also being more sympathetic the German policies, and would become more anti-Semite. US businessmen would expand their interests in Germany, while trying to get around German foreign exchange restrictions.
The UK, would be encouraged to seek 'peace'! Moreover, when Germany went East, German films of the 'action' would be shown across the US with much applause.
Many Americans of German heritage, frustrated by service life, resigned and travelled to Germany to join the German armed forces, together with civilians who were attracted to the 'glory of the Fatherland'.

I think the above is more plausible, then a fasscist US born out of the depression.

Garrison

Donor
When you look at the real world example of Communism, a theoretically more cohesive philosophy than Fascism, you have to genuinely wonder why people would think that two nations would align just because they technically have the same governmental system. An aggressive expansionist Germany is a threat to American strategic interests, which is why I also think any realistic candidate who wins the White House in 1940 is still going to wind up supporting the British.

Wolf1965

Donor
A fascist US would require a rather huge POD, depending on how you define Fascism. If that means a society that keeps the formalities of democracy, but the elections are rigged and human rights are not really existent, that I could see as an outcome of the Great Depression. The Ku-Klux-Khan was uncomfortably powerful during that time or you might have a populist like Huey Long. A historian would probably not call it Fascism, but it would be close enough.
Anything more would need a POD long before 1929, probably even before WW1 and would leave a world so different that I doubt that we would see Nazi Germany the way that we saw it in OTL.

Given that Nazi Germany was allied to Japan and that there was a definitive pain point with the Philippines, an alliance was quite unlikely, especially as the UK was willing to do quite a bit to keep the US on their side.
You'd need something that really transforms the world after WW1, even to the point where the latter war is very different. Keep the alliance between Japan and the UK alive and make a fascist US fight for the former German colonies.