Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Saparmurat Niyazov

• Benito Mussolini

• Other

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters
My actual choice was betwwen Hitler and Pol Pot and here I used mere arithmetic as a criterion for my choice. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was Pol pot who is responsible for death of 1/4 jf the whole Cambodia's population. No bloody dictator on Earth was able to achieve such a rate of murderousness as to his own county's population.
So, my choice is Pol Pot.

Okay. But Francisco Lopez actions lead to the deaths of 83% of his country. While not as intentinal as Pol Pot, this was one nasty figure.

Yes, he is even scarier than Pol Pot. How can someone do that, whether with or without intention?

He got Paraguay involved in a war against Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay. His insanity wrecked any chance that Paraguay had of winning (which was decent, at least). He then forced the entire population into this mass migration. By the end of hiss reign, Paraguay lost it's entire adult male population, and 5 out of every 6 citizens. Scary guy.

Stalker

Banned
Okay. But Francisco Lopez actions lead to the deaths of 83% of his country. While not as intentinal as Pol Pot, this was one nasty figure.
I simply didn't know about that!:confused: Will have to read some more about Paraguayan history...

I'd say Stalin, compared to Hitler, Stalin was kill everyone who gets in my way while Hitler was the same, he had some respect for his own people.

I'd say Stalin, compared to Hitler, Stalin was kill everyone who gets in my way while Hitler was the same, he had some respect for his own people.
The same Hitler who (in 1945) said that the "German race" had no right to live and had to make place for the stronger "Slav race"?

Lopez?!? Does anyone really think Lopez was as bad as Hitler? Sure, he had his own mother tortured and executed, but geez.

I agree. Lopez didn't directly killed thousands of his own nationals: he just drove his country into a war that was absolutely impossible to win, and he contiued it far beyond the point when it was absolutely clear he had lost. At its final stages, he send kids, old men and women into the battlefield. But Hitler was much worse: he didn't just do this (think of Berlin), but he also deliberately decided to eliminate himself millions of people, whether foreign (Slabs, Poles, Gypsies, etc.) and from his own country (German Jews, Mentally ill Germans, etc.). Most of Paraguayans killed in the Triple Alliance War died in the hands of foreign armies. Most of Hitler's victims, instead, died by his own hand. It's not the same.

Alcuin

Banned
Lopez may, in fact, have the best claim to the title. During his rule, Paraguay's population fell from 1,337,000 to 226,000. Paraguay was crippled for years. Meanwhile, the adult male population fell to somewhere between 6,000 and 28,000. Paraguay lost half it's land, and was ruined by invaders. To cap it all off, he killed 23 bishops so he could become a saint. His first act as such was to have his mother flogged and killed.
Actually, I'd agree that Lopez was the worst dictator, not just because of evil intentions but also because he was so apallingly BAD as a ruler, He went to war with Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Peru and one other country (I can't remember which) at the same time. Hence the population decrease, especially in adult males.

Many Paraguayans also died from other Paraguayans' hands. AFAIK he made every third soldier a spy, advising them that they should kill anyone who showed cowardice. The soldiers were said to be more afraid of those spies than from the enemy. Furthermore, I suspect that he had very many people killed (he did so with his own mother and the cardinals, why should he stop there) and that he completely screwed up the economy of Paraguay, so that many starved.

Many Paraguayans also died from other Paraguayans' hands. AFAIK he made every third soldier a spy, advising them that they should kill anyone who showed cowardice. The soldiers were said to be more afraid of those spies than from the enemy. Furthermore, I suspect that he had very many people killed (he did so with his own mother and the cardinals, why should he stop there) and that he completely screwed up the economy of Paraguay, so that many starved.

I think there's a lot of legend surrounding this guy. And Paraguay did pretty incredibly well in all those wars... I don't see how he's any worse than any other Latin American dictator, and certainly not in the Hitler category.

Pol Pot all the way. Yes Hitler, and Stalin have killed millions, but its the percentage that makes Pol Pot so bad. Some estimates of the dead range from 1 to 3 million, out of a 1975 population estimated at 7.3 million. That is 15 to 40% of the overall population.

From What I've read about him, he single handidly wrecked his country. The fight was only against Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay, and Paraguay had at least a chance. But Lopez ruined everything. Maybe not the world's worst, but I shudder to think what he could do in the 20th or 21st century's. Also, this is the "saint" whos actions Directly caused over 1 million deaths just among his countrymen. He may not be Hitler, but He was dangerous.

By the way, If you voted other, and didn't already say who you voted for, please say who you selected. Just so that I can keep track.

I think we can all agree that the men were evil, miserable douchebags. But how do we quantify the evilness of their actions? Percentage killed? Total Number? Damage cause to humanity as a whole? There is no clear definition or gradient.

No Takers on Idi Amin, Ivan the Terrible, Ceaschescu, Niyazov, or Obiang?

Amin was possibly the most sadistic killer ever.
Ivan, well, you should have heard what my sixth grade Social Studies teacher told me about his methods of execution.
Ceaschescu was more paranoid than Stalin and certifiably insane to boot.
Niyazov is Turkmenbashi. He named a month and a fruit after himself.
Obiang makes just about every list of the ten worst current dictators. Not in the same class as Hitler, Pol Pot, Lopez, or Amin, but still...

NomadicSky

Banned
I voted for Hitler because he took over Europe and the Death camps and the massive amount of hate inside that man made him imo the worst dictator of all time. (Well as of yet anyway)

Idi Amin was a close second.

I voted for Hitler because he took over Europe and the Death camps and the massive amount of hate inside that man made him imo the worst dictator of all time. (Well as of yet anyway)

Idi Amin was a close second.

In general, I agree. It is easy to say that Hitler is the worst on the list. However, I am disappointed that people keep going for him and thus ignoring the others. Amin cannot be easily described with words, but no one has voted for him.

Perhaps I should have added the multiple vote option.

Ibn Warraq

Banned
I think we might want to remember that the question is who was the "worst" dictator not simply who killed the most people. Obviously Joseph Stalin and Adolph Hitler killed far, far more people than Idi Amin, but did that prove they were more evil.

I certainly don't think so. I think the fact that Hitler racked up a much bigger body count than Amin had far more to do with differences in power and resources than differences in cruelty, bloodthirstiness, savagery, or hatred.

Having said that, in the end, I voted for Hitler because as bad as he was, had he succeeded at his goals he would have killed far, far more people than various other dictators who actually succeeded at their achieving their goals, such as Stalin and Mao.

And now, for tonight's summary of the voting.

Unsuprisingly, Hitler maintained a commanding lead of 22 votes.
Despire several rallies, neither Stalin or Pol Pot could decisivly pull ahead, both close with 16
Mao Tse-Tung pulled ahead of Lopez with 6
Francisco Lopez, despite considerable discussion, was unable to produce, and currently has 4 votes
Mobutu Sese Seko, Kim Jong-il, Vlad Dracul "The Impaler", Francisco Nguema, and Saddam Hussein are on the board with one apiece.
In addition, there is one "other" vote which no one has claimed. Whoever voted other, I would be grateful if you could just say who you voted for.

The worst dictator of all time?

That's a tricky one.

I'm going to have to go for Mahatma Gandhi.

Oh come on! He didn't kill anyone, to my knowledge: all that 'non-violent resistance' stuff. And then, after that long struggle for independence, he didn't even take charge of India, much less rule it with an iron fist.

Wait...

You don't mean 'worst' as in 'no good at it'?
Oh.