World War 2 between the Soviet Union and the Western Allies

What if the takeover of Germany by the Nazis or a similar ultranationalist group is prevented, and whatever regime does end up replacing the Weimar government does not have expansionist ambitions beyond perhaps Austria and does not seek a war with the western allies? Could a second world war still happen, but with the Soviets instigating? Might Stalin (or a different soviet leader, if you think his ambitions aren't compatible with a European war) have instigated a war in Europe that draws Russia into a confrontation with the Western Allies? What allies would the Soviets have, if any? Would East Asia be involved in such a war?

Stalin never would begin war against Europe without it being distracted by something. He wasn't stupid enough to do that. And I highly doubt that any alternate Soviet leader would had done that either. At best they would try give support for any revolutionary movement in Europe.

I don't see it happening. Stalin would more likely have taken advantage of a war between other European nations than instigate a war on his own. Especially considering what the state of the Red Army was like in the late 1930s.

Stalin never would begin war against Europe without it being distracted by something. He wasn't stupid enough to do that. And I highly doubt that any alternate Soviet leader would had done that either. At best they would try give support for any revolutionary movement in Europe.
That, and stalin struggled with mid sized regional powers due to the purge. No eastern front and i doubt the army could even take poland

Say Trotsky wins and pursues foreign policy of stirring up.revolutions.
Are you talking about the real Trotsky or the Stalinist caricature of him? Because real life Trotsky would not have invaded other countries (he didn't believe in revolution by sending tanks) or could have done more than giving a longer leash to the Comintern-parties, so that they can be more effective.

Say Trotsky wins and pursues foreign policy of stirring up.revolutions.

Trotsky beginning major war against Europe is just Stalinist propaganda. He wasn't going to start such thing. He wouldhad given more aid to revolutionary movements but he wouldn't invade Europe.

I think it could happen even with Stalin as a leader of USSR,yes Stalin was cautious not to start a war with the great powers like UK,France,Germany ... but will he be so cautious in starting a war with Finland,the Baltic's,Romania or Poland.So could Soviets bully the Baltics in accepting soviet military bases and maybe later stage a coup i think yes,could Soviets present an ultimatum to Romania in to giving back the territory that was part of the Russian Empire,again i believe they could,could they invade Finland or have a second Poland-Soviet war,so yeah Soviets won't declare war on Europe,but it doesn't mean that they could not miscalculate and find them self at war with Europe.

Garrison

Donor
I think it could happen even with Stalin as a leader of USSR,yes Stalin was cautious not to start a war with the great powers like UK,France,Germany ... but will he be so cautious in starting a war with Finland,the Baltic's,Romania or Poland.So could Soviets bully the Baltics in accepting soviet military bases and maybe later stage a coup i think yes,could Soviets present an ultimatum to Romania in to giving back the territory that was part of the Russian Empire,again i believe they could,could they invade Finland or have a second Poland-Soviet war,so yeah Soviets won't declare war on Europe,but it doesn't mean that they could not miscalculate and find them self at war with Europe.
But in the 1930s would any of these things provoke the British and French to declare war? Given how reluctant they were to oppose Nazi expansionism I doubt they would be willing to start a war over the Baltic states or Romania.

but will he be so cautious in starting a war with Finland,the Baltic's,Romania or Poland.
I think he would. Remember, in the 1930s, Romania was allied with Poland and Poland was allied with France, and while Estonia and Latvia didn't have formal alliances with Poland, I do believe that Poland would consider an Soviet invasion of these states to be a threat to its security. And the French (at least before 1933) did consider the Soviets to be an enemy. In fact, according to Wikipedia, the French Army in the early 1930s was worried over the Soviet arms build-up and to attempt to counter that threat was preparing to form a expeditionary force that could assist its European allies.

What if the Rexists took power in Belgium? Leon Degrelle, may have been more effective on his own than as a Nazi errand boy.