World in Conflict! The Cold War Goes Hot.

Does this beta have a single-player component in it? The whole damn thing's about 1.7 gigs, so I'd like to figure out if it's worth my while to spend a day figuring out how to download it.

No, sadly it does not.:( But fighting online is fun enough for now. There's two maps available, all four command classes (Infantry, Armor, Support, Air), and a decent selection of units.

I haven't found what class I'm good at yet, but armor is probably my worst. Support is fun, because you can sit several arty units in the back of the line and pummel any likely enemy positions, but you have to watch out for counter-battery fire and any other enemy units closing the distance. Infantry is a tough class, because if your infantry is out in the open too long, they're gonna get killed by something. Infantry works best in defending chokepoints and holding ground in urban zones (in cover of course).

Too bad about the lack of single-player in the beta. At the very least, I'll be able to run it on my machine after a RAM upgrade.

the beta is so fun. the only thing is that ur men always have to be on the move cause if u stay still they get masscared by an airstrike.

I just played the demo today.

Ho-lee shit!

I want my dispersement now, damn it! Papa needs a game and a new video card!

The beta was fun, though it's a shame that the 'special preorder bonus' was guaranteed access to the beta (anyone could sign up, with no limit!) and an extra map (which, since the public demo owners didn't have it, hardly anyone ever played on). But the game was good. I might buy it; the team structure, where multiple players are on one team, makes it adjust very easily to players leaving or joining...in other MP strategy games, if you start a game you might be stuck there for an hour or more.

Those poor infantry players, though...they can only sprint between forests & buildings, slightly annoy other players, and get wiped out by napalm/chemicals. :(

It's in stores now, and I just got a copy today. Since I don't care if I ever make enough money to feed myself, I got the Collector's Edition, which has a "making-of" DVD, another DVD with a Hitlery Channel special on the Berlin Wall, and a chunk of the Berlin Wall itself the size of my big toe.

Gonna install it on my home machine tonight, then we'll see what we see.

It's in stores now, and I just got a copy today. Since I don't care if I ever make enough money to feed myself, I got the Collector's Edition, which has a "making-of" DVD, another DVD with a Hitlery Channel special on the Berlin Wall, and a chunk of the Berlin Wall itself the size of my big toe.

Gonna install it on my home machine tonight, then we'll see what we see.

Ditto. I've been playing it for the past couple of hours. Again, holy crap! However, the fourth mission is when they decide to stop holding your hand and give everything.

The collector's case was a fucking bitch to open, too. A piece of history is kinda nice, though. . .

KunlunShan

Banned
I like this game a lot, since it works more realistically than other RTS games. However, the fact that there's no Russian campaign really annoys me.

I like this game a lot, since it works more realistically than other RTS games. However, the fact that there's no Russian campaign really annoys me.

You can play the Russians in multiplayer, which is a blast.

I've played through the NY mission and some of the next one. If I'm correct the war has lasted six months so far. In the intro before the first mission (defend Seattle), it said the war had already raged for four months. The NY mission occurred one week before the attack on Seattle, and the post nuclear blast mission that comes next is listed as nine weeks later. So four months, minus one week, plus nine weeks equals six months.

I've just finished the Seattle/Washington State missions, and I'm really starting to get into the game. I've got a good handle on the units, and the whole unit airdrop thing is simple enough to not slow me down. Artillery and airstrikes are also surprisingly useful against enemy units, as opposed to being the lumbering force they are in other RTS's. Having Alec Baldwin providing the epic Ken Burns-level narration is just gravy.

I still really wish there was a Soviet campaign, of course.

I've just finished the Seattle/Washington State missions, and I'm really starting to get into the game. I've got a good handle on the units, and the whole unit airdrop thing is simple enough to not slow me down. Artillery and airstrikes are also surprisingly useful against enemy units, as opposed to being the lumbering force they are in other RTS's. Having Alec Baldwin providing the epic Ken Burns-level narration is just gravy.

I still really wish there was a Soviet campaign, of course.
Ivan!:eek:

Just beat the game last night. Disappointingly short, and I was wondering where the guys shouting, "Wolverines!" were hiding :)p), but overall, I really liked. Looking forward to an expansion and the fan missions.

Just beat the game last night. Disappointingly short, and I was wondering where the guys shouting, "Wolverines!" were hiding :)p), but overall, I really liked. Looking forward to an expansion and the fan missions.

Apparently even in video game they can't find a way for a soviet invasion not to be beaten fast (in freedom fighter too)

As of Mission 12, seven months into the war, here are the known combatants.

NATO & Allies (some have been occupied, a great many others have been invaded)

United States (western Washington state occupied)
Canada
Iceland
United Kingdom
Norway
Portugal
Spain
France (pocket from Nice to Toulon taken early in the war, then crushed)
Luxembourg
Belgium
Netherlands
West Germany (1/3rd occupied 2 months in, pushed back since)
Denmark (occupied)
Italy
Greece
Turkey
Sweden (eastern fringe occupied)
Finland (occupied)
Austria (4/5 occupied 2 months in, pushed back since)
Japan
South Korea
Iran (Northern half occupied)
Afghanistan (occupied)
Pakistan (northern provinces occupied)
India (northern provinces occupied)
Burma (northern provinces occupied)
Australia
New Zealand
Indonesia
Taiwan
Nepal (occupied)
Bhutan (occupied)

Warsaw Pact and Allies

Soviet Union
Poland
East Germany
Romania
Czechoslovakia
Hungary
Bulgaria
China
North Korea
Cuba

Last edited:
Japan's definitely in that screen.

I just rechecked; Japan has no troops or combat markers on it at the start of Mission 12; the NATO force is in South Korea. While Japan is edged in blue, so is everything else in that picture except for the USSR, PRC, and DPRK - even Vietnam and Hainan!

Faeelin

Banned
Reading that list of combatants, it occurs to me that the authors may not know much about how cold war politics, or navies, worked.