Works with "United Earth" trope subverted

Laurentia

Banned
I don't think that had anything to do with nationality; an admiral, who happened to be Russian (or, at least, have a Russian name; he spoke with a Canadian accent, but, then, Translator Microbes conveniently convert all languages, human or alien, to English spoken in a Canadian accent - must've gotten them from the same store as Stargate), was tagged to get the SSV Normandy in his Flotilla; it was reassigned to Shepard, put under alien oversight (the Citadel Council) and put aliens on the crew. That's what he was pissed about.

But there are indications about things changing - a lot of corporations, ship classes and names, etc. tend to be Russian or Russian-derived, but spacers tend to be American or Canadian in their cultural outlook, while Los Angeles, Mexico City and New York, all in the United North American States, are labeled some of the worst slums in Citadel space. Mass Effect's future does not look kind for North America.

Also, though the Alliance technically has no oversight on Earth, the Alliance Supreme Court ruled on a Presidential succession crisis in UNAS in the daily news updates after ME2 came out. The Alliance's technical lack of oversight was made a big issue by the side that lost.

I don't remember that. I remember them saying Texas was, though.

EricM

Banned
There is a Star Trek story that pops up on here every once in awhile, were a united earth government never developed. The funniest part is in the aftermath of the Romulan War, all of the countries are fighting over the occupation of Romulus.

If I recall correctly The United States still actually existed as some form of regional Governmental entity within The United Earth Government and The Federation. The Soviet Union certainly did (As TNG ironically made clear.)

Of course I think there is an argument to be made that The Federation is so overwhelming influenced by The United States Constitution that it would be viewed as The US's successor state.

If I recall correctly The United States still actually existed as some form of regional Governmental entity within The United Earth Government and The Federation. The Soviet Union certainly did (As TNG ironically made clear.)

Of course I think there is an argument to be made that The Federation is so overwhelming influenced by The United States Constitution that it would be viewed as The US's successor state.

Yeah, there's definitely hints about that, though unfortunately nothing concrete, beyond the dedication plaques of a few ships :( Well, maybe the comment about the Leningrad power grid in IV, but the Oblast is still called that, even today IIRC.

Fortunately, IMO at least though, after TOS, the US influence became a lot less obvious

EricM

Banned
Yeah, there's definitely hints about that, though unfortunately nothing concrete, beyond the dedication plaques of a few ships :( Well, maybe the comment about the Leningrad power grid in IV, but the Oblast is still called that, even today IIRC.

Fortunately, IMO at least though, after TOS, the US influence became a lot less obvious

It's sometimes hard to keep track of what is canon and what is EU. It all turns into mush after awhile, lol.

In all seriousness one of the clues I took from the shows is that Canada has been referred to as a whole in addition to Manitoba having been referenced. In all likelihood if The US still exists it's just for geographic and administrative reasons. It would be far more complicated to take every country and break them up into their individual states, provinces, etc.

Last edited:
Link?

I remember a story on either Stardestroyer.net or Spacebattles in which the Draka series was set in the Star Trek universe, and the fleeing Alliance forms the Federation to fight the Draka (eventually allying with the Kilingons to deal with the common threat). Then the Draka run into the Borg (original format, not nerfed) and highjinks ensure...

(There's another one on one of those sites in which an earth divided into German, US and Japanese blocks goes a-conquering in seperate directions in the Star Trek setting, but then a Japanese fleet is transported into the Star Trek Next Generation universe by Q, and it turns into an Original Characters-I-am-so-much-smarter-about-military-stuff-than-Star-Trek-Wank, so I lost interest quickly).

Bruce
He's talking about this TL : https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=79578

In George Alec Effinger's When Gravity Fails and the TSR Talsorian Games RPG based on the novel, imagine "Balkanization-wank". Earth's nations have all collapsed, except for the United Arab Republic (e.g. Egypt). Things are so bad that no one bothers to create a map of Europe, because the borders change every month.

In Jerry Pournelle's CoDominium stories, the US and USSR cooperate to dominate Earth and interstellar colonies, but remain separate countries; the Earth is devastated by nuclear war between them in the end. Other countries also still exist, and found colonies of their own, (e.g. Churchill, Meiji) but do not have space fleets.

In Jerry Pournelle's CoDominium stories, the US and USSR cooperate to dominate Earth and interstellar colonies, but remain separate countries; the Earth is devastated by nuclear war between them in the end. Other countries also still exist, and found colonies of their own, (e.g. Churchill, Meiji) but do not have space fleets.
Well there is the actual CD navy and the actual Colonies have Space Fleets

That said the CD'verse counts, the CoDominium is essentially the USA (and allies) and the USSR saying, we rule the world, do as we say or else

In the Vor books by Lois McMaster Bujold (set some time in the 29th? Century) whilst there are large multinational countries (Europe, Greater South America) Earth is not united. Nor is it the most technologically advanced planet not being near the centre of the "wormhole" nexus.

It's sometimes hard to keep track of what is canon and what is EU. It all turns into mush after awhile, lol.

In all seriousness one of the clues I took from the shows is that Canada has been referred to as a whole in addition to Manitoba having been referenced. In all likelihood if The US still exists it's just for geographic and administrative reasons. It would be far more complicated to take every country and break them up into their individual states, provinces, etc.

I could be way off but I always assume those name were meant to refer to geographical areas more then to actual polities.

Escape Velocity: Override's background features it. The actual game, not so much, because being invaded by the aggressive, expansionist non-divided aliens is a fairly good reason to form a United Earth. Although it is a fairly bloc-y UE, what with not having gotten around to having a common currency a decade after the power-blocs of Earth signed up.

The Vorkosigan series has a disunited earth. There though earth is a strategic backwater due to being in a cul de sac on the wormhole net. Earth is only really valuable as a tourist and religious destination and remains divided into various nation states. One of the supporting cast is from the Peoples Republic of Brazil and one of the latter books is set in the EuroCom city of London but mention is made of earth remaining mostly divided.

The Vorkosigan series has a disunited earth. There though earth is a strategic backwater due to being in a cul de sac on the wormhole net. Earth is only really valuable as a tourist and religious destination and remains divided into various nation states. One of the supporting cast is from the Peoples Republic of Brazil and one of the latter books is set in the EuroCom city of London but mention is made of earth remaining mostly divided.

While Ky Tung is from Brazil, Brazil is part of the People's Republic of Greater South America.
And I'm pretty sure EuroCom is just one of the media organisations within Europe...

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and following books has a united earth government that promptly collapses once the alien baddies are defeated. Earth nations resume fighting among themselves and founding their own colonies. Earth is eventually reunited again, but the USA is stated to have not joined in the new world government.