William Walker: Confederate general?

What if his final trip to central america is postponed, and Walker is state side when session starts. Would he be given a commission by the confederates?

What if his final trip to central america is postponed, and Walker is state side when session starts. Would he be given a commission by the confederates?
If Walker wasn’t, I suspect he would have just barged in, grabbed some troops, & started fighting.

I'm not sure if he could become a general, since his only experience with military is filibustering in Latin America. Most of the CSA Generals were graduates from West Point, and William Walker was a lawyer that tried to take over Latin America.

However, I can see William Walker still fight for the CSA, but as irregular units, with himself in command. It'd be like Confederate Bushwackers, like Quantrill's Raiders. Let's call them "Walker's Raider". Seeing how William Walker loved to filibuster, what if he tried filibustering states, and starting their own Pro-Confederate State Govenment, like California?

William Walker would do well in the Trans Mississippi Department, where the war was fought is a less conventional manner.

You don't need to be a West Point graduate to get a military appointment during the civil war. There are numerous examples on both sides of people with little to no military experience rising through the ranks. Nathan Bedford Forrest is a example of this.

Due to his age, celebrity status, education, and fighting experience, Walker probably raises a regiment of cavalry volunteers and gets a commission as a colonel. Ability to get promoted depends on where he's sent to fight and how well does he do.

He's from Tennessee so he might serve under Albert Sidney Johnson, but due to his experience fighting Mexico in Baja California, he might get sent to Texas/Trans-Mississippi.

Officers of companies/regiments in the Civil War were often elected from amongst the men of the regiment/officers of the companies. If he enlists, Walker would stand out as a good candidate amongst his peers due to his leadership experience (and fame), so he’d likely be elected as an officer. Then he gets a commission.

So yeah, it’s very likely I’d say.

Last edited:
Most of his support came from Tennessee and Kentucky, so I imagine that's where he will raise his regiment. I think he would be a colonel in AS Johnstons command.

I'm not sure if he could become a general, since his only experience with military is filibustering in Latin America. Most of the CSA Generals were graduates from West Point, and William Walker was a lawyer that tried to take over Latin America.

However, I can see William Walker still fight for the CSA, but as irregular units, with himself in command. It'd be like Confederate Bushwackers, like Quantrill's Raiders. Let's call them "Walker's Raider". Seeing how William Walker loved to filibuster, what if he tried filibustering states, and starting their own Pro-Confederate State Govenment, like California?
Simple. He'd hang.

Serious question---how the hell was William Walker so outrageously successful at filibustering? Were his targets just ridiculously weak, or was he a latter day Alexander or Napoleon or something?

Serious question---how the hell was William Walker so outrageously successful at filibustering? Were his targets just ridiculously weak, or was he a latter day Alexander or Napoleon or something?
In Nicurauga, he started out as a mercenary of the government, which is when he had his most success. After launching a coup of his own, that's when everything went down hill.

Officers of companies/regiments in the Civil War were often elected from amongst the men of the regiment/officers of the companies. If he enlists, Walker would stand out as a good candidate amongst his peers due to his leadership experience (and fame), so he’d likely be elected as an officer. Then he gets a commission.

So yeah, it’s very likely I’d say.

Quite no matter where he starts off he veers towards the western Theatre, gets a colonelcy and dies gutshot and screaming at Shiloh.

erious question---how the hell was William Walker so outrageously successful at filibustering? Were his targets just ridiculously weak, or was he a latter day Alexander or Napoleon or something?

His targets were that weak, but Walker is not the only guy involved, there are several other officers with experience and future careers involved.