WI/WIP: A posthumous daughter for Catherine of Aragon and Arthur Tudor

How should I format this TL going forward?

• History textbook style

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Narrative style

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Mix of both

Votes: 36 69.2%

• Total voters
Since I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall I'm not going to respond to the spammer. And since all the fabulously argued evidence (@The Professor that was couple of really nice points!) didn't work I'm going to suggest we all just ignore until either it gets bad enough to call the mods or goes away?

Also, I wanted to second @FalconHonour and say @curlyhairedhippie I'm really really excited to see where this goes!

Last edited:
@darthfanta

For Mary, the Princess Royal to become Queen her father, Charles I, would have to include her in the Line of Succession.

How it worked pre-2013. Whether you were male or female your position in the Line of Succession depended on whether the first in line had children. In this case Charles, the eldest son of Queen Elizabeth II, had William and Henry (Harry). This meant that Charles' brothers and sister were, like everyone else, pushed back down the Line of Succession by at least two places. William and Catherine went on to have three children two sons and a daughter. If this were to happen pre-2013 then Louis would take precedence over Charlotte, but as Charlotte was born after the 2013 Act came in to force her position is fixed and will only change if and when George has children. The three children of William and Catherine take priority over Harry who is now sixth in line to the throne. When Harry and Meghan had Archie their son became seventh in line and pushed everyone else down.

Please don't blame me for your lack of understanding of how primogeniture operated in the United Kingdom.

You are confusing the issue. Pre-1707 the line of succession was based on gender (legitimate male heir) and if there was no legitimate male heir then by a Will and/or an Act of Parliament (Henry VIII) or through the right of conquest (Henry VII). Post-1707 the line of succession is based on the holder being a descendant of Sophia, Electress of Hanover. The common feature of both is the Law of Primogeniture i.e. only legitimate male heirs could inherit. In 2013 the Law of Primogeniture was dispensed with.

Victoria was the sole surviving child of the four eldest sons of George III, which made her fifth in line. The pertinent point being the absence of male children therefore the law of primogeniture could not operate.

When her uncle, William IV, died she ascended to the Throne of Great Britain and Ireland, but because the Kingdom of Hanover, which was a separate entity to the Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, was governed by Salic Law Victoria, by virtue of her gender, could not become Queen of Hanover. This meant that the Throne of Hanover became vacant and the only person with a legitimate claim was Victoria's uncle Ernest Augustus, the fifth son of George III. Ernest Augustus could never become King of Great Britain and Ireland because as the sole surviving child with no male cousins of the four eldest sons of George III Victoria took priority over him.
I can accept that this is an alternate time line story I'm not stupid I understand what this forum is for. I, before you lot unleashed our egos on me, was merely responding to the OP. I decided to cite the historical events leading up to the POD in order to explain my answers to the questions. I was politely told to effectively shut up and go away.

Perhaps what you lot need to do is in the politest way possible go away for a bit and reflect on how you communicate with people on this forum especially new people because it is a turn off when people such as myself express our views and all we get profanities, shouting and told that we don't know anything.

Also if you want this story to develop naturally then surely its better to have it grounded in fact and logic rather than just it is because we say it is...

First off, I’m from the Commonwealth Realms, so give me the “I know better than you because it’s my country” attitude.

Others and myself have already addressed the contradictions in your argument and what seemed to be a misunderstanding on what primogeniture is.I just want to say one last time that primogeniture does not mean only males can inherit. That is clearly not what primogeniture means. The term by itself has no gender connotations.It only meant succession based on the order of birth.Even with the 2013 change, primogeniture continued to be practised in what’s called true primogeniture because the order of succession is now completely by the order of birth instead of being switched around based on gender. With that said, I am not going to speak to you further on that matter.

The main reason why Mary and Elizabeth had to accede to the throne through an act of parliament had to do with the fact that bastards could not inherit the throne. If Henry VIII did not declare them bastards, they would not need an act of parliament to succeed to the throne legally after their younger brother.

I think you are clearly embarrassing yourself with the way how you call an entire group of people with relevant studies into the era(many of whom also have higher qualifications) egoists when you yourself repeatedly tried to push this idea that “I know better than you all because I’m British”, and that ‘x is not happening because I said so’—using your own religious beliefs to try and enforce the idea upon the OP at one point(ignoring the fact that avunculate and cousin marriages are quite common during the period).

Good day.

EDIT:Agree with everyone else,I am going to ignore this guy from now on.

Last edited:
That was an interesting night sleep.
I was going to respond to the errors in the response but since that will derail further I'll await the next threadmark.

Loathe as I am to derail further, I think there’s an aspect that has not been noted. As of 1504 the only queen had not really reigned. The interregnum of the 1140s was resolved by leaving Stephen on the throne and skipping Matilda by making Henry II his heir. That was why Henry VIII was adamant to do anything to have a male heir and that he preferred a child male heir to an adult female. In addition we’re looking at a regency for certain. The main precedent was for a man to rule and precedents are made as one goes. France had no precedent until the female child heiress was skipped over by her uncle(s). Once this happened no woman could ever rule France. Similarly Elizabeth II and Victoria would never have been Queen had the unique situation of the Tudor daughters not provided precedent for a female King and thereby for Mary II (who after all was acclaimed by the English authorities and had to persuade them to accept William III as her equal because she did not want to rule).

In this situation Henry of York is going to be King in all but name until 1520 or longer and it will be he who decides what happens to his ward as her Uncle and Regent, including who she marries. European and English history have ample instances where anything can happen - supercession, ‘sickness’, Levite marriage. Consider also that his father may have a view while he lives as to whether York marries before he dies. If York marries he can’t realistically expect to marry his niece (as that requires a vacancy). If he waits he’ll be 30+ and a bachelor - a slender reed to hang the Tudor lineage on if something happens to her and/or him. Then the throne is at risk of going to Scotland or France (via Elizabeth of York’s daughters husbands) or to a Yorkist and to civil war.

let’s see what our story maker decides as there is plausibility to several options, which have consequences of their own to guide the tale...

Loathe as I am to derail further, I think there’s an aspect that has not been noted. As of 1504 the only queen had not really reigned. The interregnum of the 1140s was resolved by leaving Stephen on the throne and skipping Matilda by making Henry II his heir. That was why Henry VIII was adamant to do anything to have a male heir and that he preferred a child male heir to an adult female. In addition we’re looking at a regency for certain. The main precedent was for a man to rule and precedents are made as one goes. France had no precedent until the female child heiress was skipped over by her uncle(s). Once this happened no woman could ever rule France. Similarly Elizabeth II and Victoria would never have been Queen had the unique situation of the Tudor daughters not provided precedent for a female King and thereby for Mary II (who after all was acclaimed by the English authorities and had to persuade them to accept William III as her equal because she did not want to rule).
This was already addressed multiple times. By ‘resolved’, you mean Stephen the usurper losing the war and then given the face saving option of declaring the son of the original heiress his successor.The precedence of Henry II showed that the heiress’ sons(if not heiress herself)had a better right to the throne than anyone else. Baby Margaret’s sons would have the same weight of argument for the throne as well.
In this situation Henry of York is going to be King in all but name until 1520 or longer and it will be he who decides what happens to his ward as her Uncle and Regent, including who she marries. European and English history have ample instances where anything can happen - supercession, ‘sickness’, Levite marriage. Consider also that his father may have a view while he lives as to whether York marries before he dies. If York marries he can’t realistically expect to marry his niece (as that requires a vacancy). If he waits he’ll be 30+ and a bachelor - a slender reed to hang the Tudor lineage on if something happens to her and/or him. Then the throne is at risk of going to Scotland or France (via Elizabeth of York’s daughters husbands) or to a Yorkist and to civil war.

let’s see what our story maker decides as there is plausibility to several options, which have consequences of their own to guide the tale...
I think the best option would be for Grandpa Hal to try and get a few sons with Grandma Liz, and if Grandma Liz dies, find a new grandma to get a few more Tudor males.

Last edited:
On a new note, Maggie is about the same age as Anne Boleyn (if you are going by the 1501 date) would Thomas Boleyn try and get Anne is as a companion and later Lady In Waiting or is Anne still going to France, do ya’ll think?

VVD0D95

Banned
On a new note, Maggie is about the same age as Anne Boleyn (if you are going by the 1501 date) would Thomas Boleyn try and get Anne is as a companion and later Lady In Waiting or is Anne still going to France, do ya’ll think?
Knowing Thomas, I definitely think he would try to get her in asa companion to Margaret

III: The Plans
“By the time that his granddaughter was christened in December 1502, Henry knew what had to happen. It would be a pain, no doubt, and this grew clearer as he saw the attitude of the Dowager Princess of Wales towards her daughter. Henry was very quiet in his elevation of the Duke of York to Prince of Wales in January 1503, especially keeping the news from the Spanish ambassadors who were in frequent contact with Dowager Princess Katherine.

For his next move, Henry called into play Queen Elizabeth. It was not the first or the last time that Elizabeth would play mediator to her husband and her daughter-in-law, but it was undoubtedly the most important time that she did so.”
From Henry VII: The Life and Times of a Tudor King by Reece Swanson​

“The infanta has been sorely troubled ever since she received a visit from the Queen earlier in the month. She holds faster to the little princess than ever, takes little food, and is most of the time in prayer. There is much concern as to her health.”
From a letter written by one of Katherine’s Spanish ladies, Blanca de Vargas, to a relative in​
Spain, dated April 1503.​

“BLAKE SCHOFIELD: So, what was Katherine’s reaction to all of this? She couldn’t have been happy about the prospect of her little Meg as only a queen consort of England.

DR. SYDNEY MARSDEN: Well, Katherine most certainly wasn’t happy about it. While we don’t have anything from her that describes her reaction, her ladies, both the English ones and the few who had come with her from Spain, write that she withdrew into fasting and prayer. But the record from Katherine herself drops off, and she didn't even appear at court again until Michaelmas in September 1503.

SCHOFIELD [nodding along]: Interesting! So there are no surviving letters or anything? Wasn’t Katherine known for keeping up a prolific correspondence for the time period?

DR. MARSDEN: Yes she was, but we really only have one letter from her from the immediate months following her daughter's betrothal, written to the King in May 1503. Katherine must’ve written to her parents and their ambassadors during this time as well but all those letters were destroyed. It’s smart that they were, because they only could’ve complicated relations between Katherine and her in laws.

SCHOFIELD: So relations had deteriorated by this time then?

DR. MARSDEN: Not necessarily. Elizabeth of York was always very fond of her daughter-in-law and would remain so. But Henry VII was growing increasingly frustrated with Katherine , and the anxieties that she surely vented to her parents would not have helped things.

SCHOFIELD: Oh that's certainly understandable! Now, did Katherine ever come around to her daughter’s engagement? Obviously Margaret still married Henry anyways but did she do so with her mother's blessing?

DR. MARSDEN [laughing]: I wouldn't use the word 'blessing' to describe it. Ultimately, Katherine came around to the idea as the best way to preserve Margaret's rights, since at least her children would be guaranteed to rule over England, but she was certainly not enthusiastic about it and, prior to the marriage itself, privately referred to Margaret as the Princess of Wales and Henry as the Duke of York.”
From an interview of Dr. Sydney Marsden, historian and expert on the Tudor era, by BBC reporter​
Blake Schofield, conducted 14 September 2017.​

“In all things I remain your most humble and obedient servant. I hope that you may find me ever as pleasing a daughter as I have been.

Katherine, Infanta of Aragon, Princess of Wales”
From a letter written by Katherine of Aragon to King Henry VII, dated 9 May 1503.​

“Henry Tudor, formerly Duke of York but now elevated to Prince of Wales, was betrothed to his infant niece Lady Margaret in spring 1503. Shortly afterwards, he departed from London for Ludlow, where he would spend most of his time until he became king. To modern sensibilities, the concept of an uncle marrying a niece is disturbing at best, and even in the 16th century such a union would've been uncommon. Indeed, Henry and Margaret's marriage was received with no small amount of hesitation by the English people. But it was also clear that it was the only way for the Tudor dynasty to move forward, and nobody was willing to sacrifice the peace that had been built over the past twenty years.”
From The Pomegranate Queen by Carlie Needham​

Last edited:
Well put I think. Acknowledges the issues but makes clear it's the only solution. And by the time we get another sole granddaughter or daughter her reign should be all but guaranteed rather than needing her uncle's hand.

I like how you hint at Katherine's frustration but muted. I really like the idea of Elizabeth of York mediating and I'm excited to see how Meg grows. Great update!

Beautiful chapter, I like the way you dealt with the issues of Henry and Margaret having to marry - Henry VII might know it's the best thing to do, but he can't be too delighted with the idea that his son is going to have to wait so long to be able to secure the Succession... I wouldn't be surprised if Henry didn't start taking mistresses a long time before Margaret matures... you could almost end up with a triangle at the centre of the English Court if Henry is besotted with a mistress and refuses to give her up for the sake of the niece he's been forced to make his Queen.

And of course, Katherine would always see her daughter as outranking her brother-in-law. That's just so Katherine.

Well put I think. Acknowledges the issues but makes clear it's the only solution. And by the time we get another sole granddaughter or daughter her reign should be all but guaranteed rather than needing her uncle's hand.
Yes, future English queens will not need to marry their uncles to secure the Crown.
I like how you hint at Katherine's frustration but muted. I really like the idea of Elizabeth of York mediating and I'm excited to see how Meg grows. Great update!
Glad you enjoyed it. Elizabeth seems like she would be very good at mediating, considering what her teenage years were like.
Beautiful chapter, I like the way you dealt with the issues of Henry and Margaret having to marry - Henry VII might know it's the best thing to do, but he can't be too delighted with the idea that his son is going to have to wait so long to be able to secure the Succession... I wouldn't be surprised if Henry didn't start taking mistresses a long time before Margaret matures... you could almost end up with a triangle at the centre of the English Court if Henry is besotted with a mistress and refuses to give her up for the sake of the niece he's been forced to make his Queen.

And of course, Katherine would always see her daughter as outranking her brother-in-law. That's just so Katherine.
Oh yes, Katherine will always see her little pearl as ranking higher than Henry, which will definitely irk him but is, as you pointed out, highly appropriate. Henry will indeed take a mistress long before he and Margaret are husband and wife in earnest, poor Margaret is going to have a lot to contend with in that arena. And Henry VII and Elizabeth of York are going to be following their OTL plan in regards to securing the succession after Arthur's death...

IV: The Other Pregnancy
“By Christmas 1502, Elizabeth of York was already carrying her sixth child but the news would not be announced until February 1503, shortly after the Queen turned 37. It was greeted with universal joy, for the concern that the Prince of Wales or Lady Margaret could be carried off by any number of childhood ailments was still great.”
From Henry VII: The Life and Times of a Tudor King by Reece Swanson​

“Elizabeth went into labor on September 12, 1503. It appears to have been especially difficult, her physicians reporting at more than one point that she was near death. Though Elizabeth managed to pull through, the experience would permanently damage her health.”
From Queen of White Roses by Mira Kearns​

“News has come that the Queen has gone to labor with her child, and His Majesty has been near beside himself with anxiety. Lady Richmond takes much pain to comfort him, but he will not have it.”
From a journal entry of a gentleman attendant to Henry VII, dated 12 September 1503.​

“The poor Queen has brought forth a piddly girl child. Such a disappointment it must be for the king, he sorely hoped for another lusty prince.”
Note in the journal of a Tudor noblewoman at the court of Henry VII, dated 13 September 1503.​

“LADIE Katharine Tudor, borne 12 September 1503 deceased 15 September 1503.”
Inscription on the tomb of Katherine Tudor, the youngest daughter and child of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York.​

“In the aftermath of her youngest daughter’s demise, Elizabeth of York spent more time than ever with Margaret, her only grandchild. Princess Katherine seems to have made no objections to this, and in fact welcomed her mother-in-law’s visits, though it no doubt reminded her that her own parents would never get to see her child. At this time, King Henry also began paying more frequent visits to his granddaughter, and relished in remarking that young Margaret seemed thoroughly a Tudor, down to the red-blonde hairs on her head [1].”
From The Pomegranate Queen by Carlie Needham​

[1] A trait inherited from her maternal side too, but nobody tell that to King Henry VII!

Last edited:
Poor Elizabeth, that was certainly very hard on her, to have so much hope and then the babe dies three days later.

Catalina will certainly not let it all rest yet.