WI Washington was killed at Princeton

It's a neat TL, and I hope you keep the results modest :)

The most often used parallel used for the American Revolution, the Dutch rebellion, suffered several bouts of lost-the-talisman, and a couple of military disasters; however, the underlying causes were never addressed enough in the North, so the best result for the Spanish was keeping the Southern Netherlands (the border could be anywhere between Brussels and Utrecht, I think, after Arras/Atrecht).

So in this case, I expect the Americans to fight on, the British to make gains in various colonies, and then to pick between divide-and-conquer (some) state by state, or a grand reconciliation that eventually drifts into dominion-followed-by-commonwealth status (as in the current commonqealth; a nice talking shop and a good basis for cooperation where desired). In the first case, I imagine it's possible to reduce the Americans to a hard-core independent faction and a couple of chunks that could develop separately as dominions (with the added benefit that they could stay on similar to OTL Canada for a much longer time).

It's a neat TL, and I hope you keep the results modest :)

The most often used parallel used for the American Revolution, the Dutch rebellion, suffered several bouts of lost-the-talisman, and a couple of military disasters; however, the underlying causes were never addressed enough in the North, so the best result for the Spanish was keeping the Southern Netherlands (the border could be anywhere between Brussels and Utrecht, I think, after Arras/Atrecht).

So in this case, I expect the Americans to fight on, the British to make gains in various colonies, and then to pick between divide-and-conquer (some) state by state, or a grand reconciliation that eventually drifts into dominion-followed-by-commonwealth status (as in the current commonqealth; a nice talking shop and a good basis for cooperation where desired). In the first case, I imagine it's possible to reduce the Americans to a hard-core independent faction and a couple of chunks that could develop separately as dominions (with the added benefit that they could stay on similar to OTL Canada for a much longer time).

I'm glad you like it, and no, an outright British victory is not anything I'm interested in, if that's what you mean.

I am hoping to reconcile the colonies with Britain in such a dominion manner as you have described.

Primary Sources ATL

So, my plan is to write a series of letters and military reports to go alongside the TL. This is the first, from Capt. Leslie of the 17th, who I think may become someone to use quite often.

Letter from Capt. the Hon. Willie Leslie said:
Father,

I know that I only recently wrote to you and mother, but I awoke this morning with the distinct feeling that it was my duty as your son to give you an account of the recent events in the prosecution of the war in the colonies. This feeling seems to have arisen after the momentous good fortune General Cornwallis has experienced in the past few days, that I myself have witnessed first-hand.

But first, I don’t suppose you have already heard of a slightly worse turn of events on St Stephens’s day? The Provincials were the ones with all the luck that day. They managed to catch a battalion of our friends from Hess, under the command of one Rahl fellow, entirely by surprise, taking most of them, and their guns, away with them, whilst they were camped just to the south of our position in Princeton. I understand that the men were apparently exhausted, however I suppose that the seemingly persistent rumour that they were suffering somewhat from the festivities of Christmas is not entirely true. Whatever the case, they fought fiercely when they realised their situation, this Rahl gentleman losing his life in the struggle. This didn’t stop Washington from taking most of them captive. After this, Uncle Alexander reported to me that General Cornwallis had assumed the foulest aspect for the remainder of the week, ranting and raving about the ill-discipline of these teutonic types. I think it was the heat of the moment talking, but General Howe seems to have taken his anger to heart.

We spent the next week or so in Princeton, knowing that Washington was sitting just the other side of the Delaware River, currently thick with ice, over which he had hopped to strike at the men from Hesse-Kassel at Trenton, and then tripped back in fear of General Cornwallis’ reaction.

This reaction finally came a full week later, as Cornwallis marched to Trenton with most of his army, leaving Mawhood’s division (that is, the 17th, 40th and 55th foot, and some cannon and light dragoons) in the city, with orders to meet him in the morning, to help him assault Washington on his own side of the river. However, we never needed to get there, for in the following night, Washington stole a march on us, and early in the morning, as the 17th and 55th were marching to meet Cornwallis, we realised that the Provincials were marching parallel to us along some farmland owned by a certain Will.M Clark. When we turned to meet them, sending some men to bring the 40th out of Princeton, we found ourselves facing a line of militia. In that first volley, I do believe a slight stumble may have saved my life, as musket ball went clear through my hat, and another struck poor Sergeant Bell, who fell by the wayside, being helped behind the lines by our men.
In swift order, the militia were driven away by the grenadier company under Capt. Brereton with a bayonet charge – I understand in this moment some of the men believed they had slain Washington himself as they unhorsed the militia’s colonel.

Though we were almost immediately met with more militia, they, seeing the flight of their compatriots, also turned and fled. And the most wondrous thing happened: Washington also having seen the flight of the two militias, rode forwards from his regulars to attempt to stem the tide, calling out to them in a friendlier aspect than I could see anyone except perhaps our Col. Mawhood using, and then only to his hounds. Suffice it to say, that as enough men rallied for a volley, we were able to send off one of our own, and saw with our own eyes Washington, struck through the throat, tumble from his horse – when we pressed forwards, as the militias again took flight, we found that they had placed his body leant up by a tree in Clark’s orchard.

The rest of the battle was a frantic affair, as the 40th arrived, and we turned aside the two regiments of regulars ahead of us, and the Dragoons seized what cannon were not withdrawn in the retreat. During this retreat, my men surrounded a retreating militia Colonel, who introduced himself as Cadawa Cadwalader, and demanded to be taken to Mawhood, who I believe has placed him under house arrest in Princeton for the moment.

It is astounding how even the most momentous of victories can cause such a melancholy to sweep over the mess – the men themselves seemed rather cheerful, but some for some of the younger officers this was their first action. Young Ensign Murray wept that night, and we sent Ashe to look after him, poor boy.

Finally, you remember my reports of Rush having joined with the rebels? I met him this morning, as he had requested the return of his General’s body. He and I talked some, and I have the greatest sympathy with his view, but I did not understand the need for rebellion. These colonies appear to me to have enjoyed, as I said in my last letter to mother, the greatest prosperity, greater even than those at home, and deserve to be punished as you would punish little Georgie, should he act in the same way.

My love to Mother, and to Alexander, Charlotte and Mary. Looking for a swift reply,
Your loving son,

Willie

Last edited:

Saphroneth

Banned
What might be kind of cool, albeit I'm not sure how possible it would be, is:

Maine part of Nova Scotia.

New England independent due to LIBERTY

Mid-atlantic (incl New York?) separate dominion/s

South (meaning Georgia,the Carolinas and Virginia) independent due to... well, the slavery thing, after the British use emancipation as a weapon.

What might be kind of cool, albeit I'm not sure how possible it would be, is:

Maine part of Nova Scotia.

New England independent due to LIBERTY

Mid-atlantic (incl New York?) separate dominion/s

South (meaning Georgia,the Carolinas and Virginia) independent due to... well, the slavery thing, after the British use emancipation as a weapon.

Would that take a more drawn out war, though? I'm looking to get the peace talks and reconciliation on as soon as possible...

Part 2:

Sun, 5th January, 1777 – Generals Sullivan and Greene withdraw the remaining American force to Bristol. Greene takes command. Captain Leslie sends his letter to his father, having met with Dr Benjamin Rush to negotiate the return of the bodies of Washington and Mercer.

Tue, 7th January, 1777 – General Howe sends a letter ecstatically describing the victory at Princeton. This letter reaches London on the 1st February, after Lord North’s resignation. Cornwallis’ entire force, save the 40th under Major Simcoe, left to garrison Princeton, marches towards Burlington. They reach the town that evening. From their position, they can see Greene’s men, but each side are beyond each other’s range. The next day Cornwallis orders a dozen lashes for an artillery corporal who attempted to fire on Bristol.

Wed, 8th – Sun, 12th January, 1777 – A feeling of unease falls on both sides of the river, as both forces lick their wounds. The return of Colonel Cadwalader is requested, but Cornwallis rejects the offer, as the Americans have no one of the same rank to return. On Sat, 11th January, Cornwallis receives orders from General Howe to attempt to fire on Bristol. On-going struggles over supplies between American and British troops. Often, the Americans have the advantage, particularly against the Hessian and Hanoverian regiments who have little knowledge of the land.

Mon, 13th January, 1777 – Cornwallis lands the 33rd Foot and 8 cannon, including the two captured at Princeton, on Burlington Island, in the middle of the Delaware River, and begin to fire on the encampment across the river. After early success, however, the superior numbers of American cannon brought up in retaliation causes the battery to withdraw to the south side of the island. Fire is exchanged at regular intervals for the next few days, however.

Thurs, 16th January 1777 – On this day, King George is taken ill during inclement weather and withdraws to Kew Palace. Cornwallis ceases firing on the Bristol encampment. A regiment of Waldeckians is captured just west of Allenston by the 4th Virginia regiment in a daring raid that involved crossing the Delaware and catching the Waldeckians in a snow-storm. However, the Virginians also took losses, mostly due to the cold.

Wed, 22nd January 1777 – General Howe’s damning report of the capture of the Hessians at Trenton arrives in London. With the King absent, suffering from the cold weather at Kew, Lord North, who has already attempted to resign in favour Whig candidates Lord Chatham or Lord Rockingham several times since the beginning of strife in the colonies, seizes his chance, and resigns, leaving for the country with immediate effect.

Thurs, 23rd January 1777 - Lord Chatham is made Prime Minister, and replaces Lord Germain with the Duke of Grafton as Secretary of State for the Colonies. The disgraced Germain is given a commission and sent to India to fight in the Anglo-Maratha war. When George learns of North’s resignation on the 27th, having recovered and returned to London, he is outraged, and demands Lord North return to London. However, he is persuaded by Grafton, with Howe’s letter, that Lord North was correct in resigning.

an alternate path:

Washington goes down. those around him are horrified. rather than rally around the fallen, Washington's troops join the fleeing. At the end of the day, it's not a complete rout, but it halts the string of victories the Patriots had put together.

(OTL, Washingtons rally of the troops fosters a spirit of confidence. closet patriots start coming out of the closet. TTL, they stay in the closet. Loyalists start peeking out thinking that maybe the mother country will prevail)

Greene takes over temporarily, but ultimately Congress decides to go with a veteran, who just happens to have some political backing - Gates.

(OTL, Washington had a real appreciation of the danger of smallpox and took a lot of precautions to minimize it, and called for the variolation of all new troops. ATL, Gates doesn't take such precautions)
(OTL, Howe tried to draw Washington into a battle in New Jersey in the spring of 1777. Washington didn't bite. Gates, though, in an effort to cement his hold on the military gets sucked in)

Gates suffers a moderate loss in New Jersey.

Howe moves on to Philadelphia. Gates throws all his resources to prevent this. this means that troops that OTL were sent to NY to oppose Burgoyne (including Benedict Arnold) aren't sent. Gates, supports his cronies. Guys who won't challenge his spot at the top.

Burgoyne, despite all his bungling ways, accomplishes his mission. Saratoga is a close run thing, but, sans the support OTL Washington sent, with questionable Patriot support, and Loyalists coming out of the woodwork, British forces prevail. Bottom line: by the end of 1777, the Hudson Valley is in British hands. Control is tenuous, but NY Loyalists are increasingly encouraged to blast back at the thug Patriots who have been bullying them into submission.

Philadelphia falls. Gates is having trouble getting material support from Congress. Smallpox keeps popping up, killing his troops at a rate that rivals enemy fire. Morale in the troops is waning.

Winter Quarters is a harsh environment for the Patriots. The French have backed off what seemed, only months before, sure support. The French and Spanish are willing to send a little bit of clandestine life support, but no more. Close quarters brings on a smallpox epidemic. lack of support from Congress means there's more bloody footprints in the snow than OTL. A capable officer named Stueben is shuffled to the side in favor of a dundering crony of Gates. Sanitation woes and discipline are major problems. More and more troops say 'screw this' and leave to try to make their way home.

Britain has sent a delegation to try and work things out. (OTL, they are dismissed out of hand, because the Patriots know they have France coming to town, and because they are increasingly winning battles). The colonies are starting to waver. '76 was a good year. '77 was supposed to build on it. but '77 turned out to be a dud. Worse than a dud. no wins. a couple of losses. a couple of draws. Not the kind of year to enthuse the populace to support the cause.

"How about limited home rule?" says Britain.
"No dice" says the Patriots.

1778: The Patriots are having a hard time recruiting. Loyalists are increasingly seeing which way the wind blows. Borderline Patriots are hedging their bets and going Loyalist, or at least remaining neutral. Britain has severed the colonies. Massachusetts is still firmly rebellious. But NY/Pennsylvania is now Loyalist country. Vermont is pretending to be independent, but making overatures to British Canada. Virginia is rebellious, but the further south you go, the more iffy the cause is. British plans center around keeping the northeast isolated while crushing the south. Gates is in trouble. Congress is tired of his losing ways. He can't hold an army together. the 'country' is now separated. But, he's managed a few draws, and politics (which OTL is spoke of so glowingly) lets the Patriots down, so he's given another chance. but he's on a short leash. He doesn't get the support he needs, so predictions of failure become a self fulfilling prophecy.

British adopt a strategy of subduing the south. Ultraloyalist Florida troops move north. Free to move their troops around at will, the British make gain after gain. Holding down the fort in NY, the British move their army south to Virginia. Gates wants to adopt a strategy of defense, but his tenuous position means he must be aggressive to bring the French back into the fold. His attempt leads to a major defeat. a total eclipse of the sun is taken as a sign of doom for the embattled patriots. more and more, desertions decimate the state militias, the last hope of the Patriots. by the end of the year, things look grim for the rebels. Gates has finally been replaced by someone more competent, but it's too late. the tide has turned.

The British peace commission, realizing that a compromise must be reached, offers again limited self rule. The political overlords in Britain are starting to think that they don't need to be generous, but communication is slow. Plus, there's opposition to continuing spending money on the colonies. overall, an air of compromise is taking place. Both sides are exhausted. Britain is realizing that they need to give a little. the Patriots are realizing that full independence is a pipe dream. The middle colonies and the southern colonies are, in various states of willingness, ready to sign off. Massachusetts is a problem, though. It's independence or bust for them. So the whole confederation breaks down. by 1779, only the northeast is in rebellion. by 1780, peace is fully ensconced everywhere but the northeast. Britain has adopted a policy of slowly squeezing the last of the rebels. Easily blockading the last of the rebellious coast, the rebels are in a world of hurt. the Brits send their armies against the rebels, but are cautious to not put themselves in a position of possibly losing a battle. Britain isn't spending anywhere as near as much as they previously were on prosecuting the war, but they still are spending too much. As the months pass, both sides are becoming more urgent to find a solution. Finally, at long last, the northeast is established as a full self rule region. this causes some friction within the colonies. some are jealous, and kicking themselves that they didn't hold out for more. Some are happy that they don't need to worry about protection from the indians. The Northeast still isn't happy, but the die has been cast. these united states aren't going to be so united. there are wounds that are going to fester. the northeast isn't going to trust the south. the south is mad at the Northeast. Virginia is pissed because the Vandalia is established as a new colony. Britain has declared the Northwest territory to be Indian country, but bows to reality and lets Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee be settled. There's plenty of room for expansion, which lets the steam out of the kettle for several decades. Florida grows and pushes north. the Indian country of the south is squeezed.

France doesn't have the massive debt from supporting the revolution. The crisis years of late 80's, early 90's are eased a bit. Instead of supporting the revolution, France firmly said no to Austrian expansion into Bavaria. As OTL, Austria backed down. The debt load is a tough weight to bear, but without being overwhelming, the perfect storm which lead to the French revolution is reduced to a rough storm which is ridden out. Tough times, for sure, but no reign of terror, no Napoleon. At the end of the day, there emerged a weak monarchy, with some sort of congress helping keep monarchy in check.

The patriots had hoped for a European war to sidetrack the Brits while they went for round two of the rebellion. Sadly, it didn't happen, and a new generation came of age, one which accepted British protection with significant self rule. And then another generation. and another. There were Indian countries, one north, one south, but slow encroachment allowed population release from the coast. Spanish Louisiana slowly grew. Spain didn't dare block access up the Mississippi, with British control of everything east, so there was no issue of transport of goods. some colonists made their way west of the Mississippi, but willingly traded one king for another. Made no difference to them as long as the overlords let them have their space, which was a given, considering the distances involved. The Brits and the Spanish provided protection against the indians, which allowed the settlers to settle. The British wanted to go coast to coast, but Mississippi and all points west and north was a pretty good chunk of land, and there was no real danger of Spanish trying to expand (they were lucky to hold on to the territory they had), so no real need to engage in war to dispel the Spanish. The Brits, although legally not allowed to trade west of the Mississippi, didn't much care for legalities. the smuggling business was good. why rock the boat?

Slowly, surely, time marched on. No master can hold on to their student forever. Eventually, the eastern colonies gained independence. three countries: northeast, middle, and south. Mexico split in two: the conservative mexico proper, and the European influenced north and Louisiana. Oregon country went to Canada. The Northwest Territory went to Canada.

And this notion that there was one grand republic stretching from sea to sea was merely a footnote left bleeding out from the neck of George Washington, whose last thought was not of his beloved Martha or of an independent country, but 'oh damn, this hurts'.

an alternate path:
Snip

This awesome... I think I might be trying to bring reconciliation about quicker than possible - possibly inconceivably quick - however, as mentioned, I should like to have the war over as quick as possible, so that I can then explore what the resulting country looks like.

I have a question arising from my next section - I understand that Howe tried to organize peace talks after Long Island, during which he had a list of those few men he was not allowed to pardon. I know that John Adams was on it, but who else was there?

Last edited:
a punitive peace isn't reconciliation. it's domination. IMO, it's fairly easy to see a quick compromise (POD death of Washington January 1777) within a year or so. While I could see everything going to heck for the Patriots militarily, I don't really see that the Brits could dominate enough, quickly, to dictate a bunch of hangings. And it would probably be counter productive. Maybe a fortunate capture of some of the leadership (Jefferson, Hancock, etc) and toss them in the brig for several years. Maybe a hanging as an example. But, if they're not captured, it's going to be hard to ask the patriots to give up the revolution AND turn over the leadership.

A lot of folk here espouse anything from a couple of hangings to wholesale punitive measures. I think that by 1777, the Brits are realistic that they are not going to crush the rebellion. they think they can retain the colonies, but it's not going to be a reset of the clock to pre rebellion days. They are going to want to give as little as possible, but they know they have to give something. one thing that is fairly easy to give up are some nooses, so at this point, I see the Brits making a list of folk who cannot publically hold leadership roles, but otherwise almost all are simply let be.

You could turn the loyalists into vindictive buzzards, willing to do unto the Patriots as the Patriots (OTL) did unto them. a few lynchings/beatings/run out of town, or capture and turning over to the Brits, of Patriot leadership. Any turned over to the Brits will ride out the rest of the war, and then some, in deplorable prison conditions. In OTL, the loyalists mostly stayed at home. In an environment where the Brits are obviously gaining the upper hand, they're going to come out and they're going to use the situation to settle scores against Patriots who had cowed the loyalists into submission (this aspect of the revolution is often swept under the carpet).