WI Wales qualified for the 1982 World Cup?

Though Wales has since qualified for the 2022 World Cup, their first since 1958, they have had a few close calls before hand with teams that should've played at a World Cup with the Welsh team of the 1980's being perhaps the team the most unlucky not to qualify for a major tournament and they couldn't have come closer from qualifying for a World Cup which was for the 1982 edition.

It was in their second last game against Iceland in which in a game that Wales were winning, a power cut happened in the ground and afterwards, Iceland managed to get a draw which ultimately prevented Wales from qualifying in which to make it worse, the other three Home Nations would qualify leaving as Wales being the only British side not to qualify and looking at how close they were which came down to goal difference with Czechslovakia, it is frustrating to see how close it was.

But what if Wales had qualified for the 1982 World Cup? How would they have done in Spain and what would have been the side effects of Welsh football being seen on the world's stage and the likely team they would have had? Maybe an early formation of a Welsh league or perhaps qualification for Euro 1984 (which actually was within a few seconds from happening had Yugoslavia not scored) and the 1986 World Cup?

It is a fascinating subject that I'm suprised no one else has brought it up and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Had Wales qualified in 1982, they would have been in the same group as England and France. It would have been a tough call for them to get through to the second stage.

1986 would have been interesting. They would have had Ian Rush and Mark Hughes up front, Neville Southall in goal and Kevin Ratcliffe at the heart of the defence. A few fancied sides would have been tested.

I think seeding would be different. OTL pot B included 4 unseeded Western European teams + 2 unseeded South American, while pot A included 6 Eastern European teams (with Austria counted as Eastern European). With Wales instead of Czechoslovakia I think pot A would include 4 Eastern European teams (Hungary, Poland, Yugoslavia, Soviet Union) + 2 unseeded South American (Chile, Peru), while pot B would include 6 unseeded Western European teams (Belgium, France, Northern Ireland, Scotland, like OTL, + Austria and Wales).

Thus Wales would not just replace Czechoslovakia, being in the same pot as France, OTOH Poland and Peru would be in the same pot, perhaps Wales is in group with Italy, Cameroon and Poland, while Peru is with England, France and Kuwait?

Last edited: