WI US / British War of 1837?

Ghost 88 said:
On leaving the state I'll grant you that could be a concern
thats why Abe Lincoln had to let the CSA go because none of the State Militias would leave home.

No kidding, many northern militias refused to leave their states in the war of 1812 because the war was unpopular there. This scenario has war breaking out over the annexation of Texas, which will rally the south behind the war and the border of Maine which will rally the north.

Timmy811 said:
No kidding, many northern militias refused to leave their states in the war of 1812 because the war was unpopular there. This scenario has war breaking out over the annexation of Texas, which will rally the south behind the war and the border of Maine which will rally the north.
Timmy didn't think of the NE holdout when I posted. Was pointing out that if militia always stayed home Lincoln could not have fought the ACW as it was almost 100% a militia war.

Ghost 88 said:
On the Navy never said it was decisive just said it was a pain in the ass.also I was talking about the Regular US Navy,and thier sometimes embarassing victories over the Royal Navy (Lake Erie,the USS Constitution) Grant aside from L Erie nothing more than moral boosts for the home front.

The US victories on the open seas were the Su[per frigates against Regular frigates, they were grossly lopsided.

Lake Erie was also lopsided, the UK forces were using soldiers to crew the boats and using fort canons (with antiquated fuses) instead of proper guns, in other words this was also due to the small amount resources Britain spent on the conflict.

As for regulars always being better than Militia that is so much bull. NO was Militia beating Regulars,

Yes and on the initial cavalry recon they abandoned their posts and ran, if the British had followed up then they would have been defeated.

Militia sitting in a fortification shooting aren’t having their weaknesses n military discipline tested as they would be on the open battlefield.

Scots campaign in Mexico was largely Militia beating Regulars,

Scott had a volunteer and regular force which went up against Mexico soldiers which isn’t a fair comparison with a regular soldier from a proper military.

Viet Nam was militia vs.regulars,

The American regulars were militarily quite good in Vietnam, however what you are describing in a guerrilla campaign and that is quite a different affair.

and the First Afghan war was Militia Massacreeing a Army of Regulars.

An army of regulars on a march which had been cut off from supplies and was outnumbered.

You will note that the British forces we easily able to walk all over the Afghans twice (both before and after the Afghans rising).

Issandanwhana(sp) was Militia vs mostly Regulars.

Where the British were outnumbered 15 to 1 and it could be argued the Zulus weren’t militia given they got a lot of training.

700 militia and 300 regulars, used to perfection by Morgan (he had them fire and run because he knew that like all militia they couldn’t hold their ground, which sort of makes my point for me).

Tareleton on the other hand had a mixed force of regulars and provincials.

That battle was won because Morgan correctly understood that militia were unsteady and he used them as such.

and Kings mountian same.

Militia on militia and a bad choice of battlefield.

So no regulars are not automaticly better than millitia.

Yes they are, they just can’t magically outcome gross disparity in numbers or a large strategic/tactical handicap.

You can’t just give some country bumpkin a gun and expect him to be able to perform military formations and have courage under fire.

On leaving the state I'll grant you that could be a concern
thats why Abe Lincoln had to let the CSA go because none of the State Militias would leave home.

It also happened in the war of 1812.

Marching thru hostile indian lands presumes that the tribes in question were hostile to the US. That the US could easily get Indian allies along these routes.

Ah but as you have already pointed out the US had displaced tribes into this reason and their reputation would have spread, the British on the other hand had treated their native allies fairly (although things would change).

Ease of logistics, I was not complete in my statement on this.Yes the RN could get the troops there but keeping them feed would be difficult at this time there is sparse settlement and mostly substanance farming on the West Coast,this means suppling Vanncover by sea which the UK did not have to do in India.

True but Britain has a rather large merchant marine and already has several outposts in the area which were kept in supply.

Screw up officers. Might be ahead of my self on this one as the brilliant team of Raglin,Lucan,and Cardigan was 17 years in the future, had understood these three were the culmination of years of mediocraty in the Royal Army.

It’s not called the Royal Army (it is made up of both royal and non royal regiments).

Raglan’s incompetence its greatly exaggerated, he was a competent soldier who just had the misfortune of being too friendly with the French.
As for the charge of the light brigade, it was a miscommunication of the type that happens in war (on the plus side the men were eager to go again once they returned to their lines, although I’m not sure what that says about the IQ of your average cavalry member).

Yes I'm aware Wellington is still around but was he capable of taking a field command.

Well he 68 at this point

Raglan was 67 in the Crimea.

So it’s possible he could take the field but I’m not sure whether he would.

He would certainly keep a close eye on what was going on however.

What it boils down to is a Britian/US war is likely to have the same outcome as 1812 and the poloticians on both sides knew this thats why they compromised.

The war of 1812 had that outcome because Britain devoted virtually non of its forces to the war.

Ghost 88 said:
Timmy didn't think of the NE holdout when I posted. Was pointing out that if militia always stayed home Lincoln could not have fought the ACW as it was almost 100% a militia war.

No it wasn't the US had a regular army in the hundred of thousands, Pennsylvania raised a militia when it was invaded and they made it quite clear they weren't leaving the state.

The above statement is so blatantly wrong I can't actually think you mean what you are saying.

Timmy811 said:
Britain invaded Maine during the war of 1812 and gave strong indications they were going to annex it, New England didn't how much interest.

This was one of main reason Maine became its own state, they were very annoyed that Massachusetts didn't send help.

On the issue of why war breaks out, I can't see how it can be both.

67th Tigers

Banned
A work in progress, British Dispositions 1/1/1838:

Home: 18 Cavalry Regiments, 27 Infantry Battalions
Mediterranean: 17 Infantry Battalions
Canada: 2 Cavalry Regiments, 19 Infantry Battalions
North America (except Canada) 16 Infantry Battalions
India: 5 Cavalry Regiments, 25 Infantry Battalions
Africa: 5 Infantry Battalions
Australia: 5 Infantry Battalions

Household Brigade:
1st Life Guards (Windsor)
2nd Life Guards (Regents Park, London)
Royal Horse Guards (Hyde Park, London)

Heavy Cavalry Brigade (London):
4th Dragoon Guards (Islington)
5th Dragoon Guards (Clapham)
10th Hussars (Houndslow)

Light Cavalry Brigade (Dublin):
2nd Dragoons
8th Hussars
17th Lancers

Guards Division (London)
1/Grenadier Guards (St. Georges Barracks, London)
3/Grenadier Guards (Portman Barracks, London)
1/Coldstream Guards (Windsor)
1/Scotch Fusilier Guards (Wellington Barracks, London)

Infantry Division (Dublin)
7th, 38th, 42nd, 79th,

Regional

Ireland
Newbridge: 2nd Dragoon Guards
Ballincollig: 1st Dragoons
Cahir: 6th Dragoons
Fermoy: 10th
Kilkenny: 19th
Belfast: 22nd
Limerick: 25th
Athlone: 48th
Cork: 94th
Newry: 95th
Enniskillen: 96th
Birr: 97th
Templemore: 99th

England and Wales
Manchester: 3rd Dragoon Guards, 98th
Leeds: 9th Lancers
London: 20th (Tower)
Brighton: 12th Lancers
Birmingham: 14th Light Dragoons
Plymouth: 29th
Canterbury: 45th
Gosport: 84th
Bolton: 88th
Stockport: 86th

Scotland
Edinburgh: 7th Dragoon Guards, 1/1st
Glasgow: 15th Hussars, 78th

Mediterranean

Celephonia: 53rd (Depot at Dublin)
Corfu: 5th (Depot at Gosport), 1/60th and 2/60th (Depots at Hull and Jersey)
Gibraltar: 33rd (Depot at Carlisle), 46th (Kinsdale), 52nd (Newcastle), 81st (Carlisle), 82nd (Cork)
Malta: 47th (Depot at Portsmouth), 59th (Mullingar), 77th (Galway), 92nd (Nenagh), Royal Malta Fencibles
Mauritius: 12th (Depot at Tralee), 35th (Stirling Castle), 87th (Castlebar)

Canada

Cavalry Brigade:
1st Dragoon Guards (Depot at Coventry)
7th Hussars (Depot at Coventry)

Guards Brigade (Montreal)
2/Grenadier Guards
2/Coldstream Guards
2/Scotch Fusilier Guards

Infantry Brigade (Montreal)
2/1st (Depot at Devonport)
83rd (Chester)
85th (Devonport)

Infantry Brigade (Quebec)
15th (Depot at Spike Island)
66th (Depot at Yougal)

23rd (Depot at Armagh)
24th (Depot at Portsmouth)
34th (Depot at Fermoy)
71st (Depot at Cork)
Royal Newfoundland Veterans

London: 32nd (Depot at Devonport)

St. John’s: 43rd (Depot at Dover), 65th

Infantry Brigade (Halifax):
11th (Depot at Chs Fort)
73rd (Depot at Clare Castle)
93rd (Butevant)

North America

Bermuda: 30th (Depot at Sunderland)
Jamaica: 8th (Depot at Guernsey), 37th (Cork), 56th (Sheerness), 64th (Londonderry), 68th (Waterford)
Antigua: 14th (Depot at Brecon)
Barbadoes: 36th (Depot at Cork, order to Canada), 69th (Dover), 70th (Guernsey)
Guyana: 67th (Chatham)
St Vincents: 74th (Aberdeen)
Demerara: 76th (Drogheda)
Trinidad: 89th (Gosport)
St Helena: 91st (Dundee)
St Lucia: 1st West Indies
Bahamas: 2nd West Indies
Honduras: Det of 2nd West Indies

Africa

Cape: 27th, 72nd (Depot at Cork), 75th (Boyle), Cape Mounted Rifles

Sierra Leone: Royal African Colonials, det of 2nd West Indies

India (unless noted, depot is at Chatham)

Bengal:
3rd Dragoons (Depot at Maidstone)
11th Light Dragoons (Depot at Coventry)
16th Lancers (Depot at Maidstone)
3rd
9th
13th
16th
26th
31st
44th
49th

Bombay:
4th Dragoons (Depot at Maidstone)
2nd
6th
17th
40th

Madras:
13th Light Dragoons (Depot at Maidstone)
4th
39th
41st
54th
55th
57th
62nd
63rd

Ceylon:
18th (Depot at Newbridge)
58th
61st (Depot at Clonmel)
90th (Depot at Portsmouth)
Ceylon Rifles

Australasia

Van Dietman’s Land
21st

New South Wales
28th
50th
51st
80th

Darkling said:
Britain invaded Maine during the war of 1812 and gave strong indications they were going to annex it, New England didn't how much interest.

This was one of main reason Maine became its own state, they were very annoyed that Massachusetts didn't send help.

On the issue of why war breaks out, I can't see how it can be both.
Britain gave strong indications of annexing anything?

Darkling said:
The US victories on the open seas were the Su[per frigates against Regular frigates, they were grossly lopsided.

Lake Erie was also lopsided, the UK forces were using soldiers to crew the boats and using fort canons (with antiquated fuses) instead of proper guns, in other words this was also due to the small amount resources Britain spent on the conflict.

Yes and on the initial cavalry recon they abandoned their posts and ran, if the British had followed up then they would have been defeated.

Militia sitting in a fortification shooting aren’t having their weaknesses n military discipline tested as they would be on the open battlefield.

Scott had a volunteer and regular force which went up against Mexico soldiers which isn’t a fair comparison with a regular soldier from a proper military.

The American regulars were militarily quite good in Vietnam, however what you are describing in a guerrilla campaign and that is quite a different affair.

An army of regulars on a march which had been cut off from supplies and was outnumbered.

You will note that the British forces we easily able to walk all over the Afghans twice (both before and after the Afghans rising).

Where the British were outnumbered 15 to 1 and it could be argued the Zulus weren’t militia given they got a lot of training.

700 militia and 300 regulars, used to perfection by Morgan (he had them fire and run because he knew that like all militia they couldn’t hold their ground, which sort of makes my point for me).

Tareleton on the other hand had a mixed force of regulars and provincials.

That battle was won because Morgan correctly understood that militia were unsteady and he used them as such.

Militia on militia and a bad choice of battlefield.

Yes they are, they just can’t magically outcome gross disparity in numbers or a large strategic/tactical handicap.

You can’t just give some country bumpkin a gun and expect him to be able to perform military formations and have courage under fire.

It also happened in the war of 1812.

Ah but as you have already pointed out the US had displaced tribes into this reason and their reputation would have spread, the British on the other hand had treated their native allies fairly (although things would change).

True but Britain has a rather large merchant marine and already has several outposts in the area which were kept in supply.

It’s not called the Royal Army (it is made up of both royal and non royal regiments).

Raglan’s incompetence its greatly exaggerated, he was a competent soldier who just had the misfortune of being too friendly with the French.
As for the charge of the light brigade, it was a miscommunication of the type that happens in war (on the plus side the men were eager to go again once they returned to their lines, although I’m not sure what that says about the IQ of your average cavalry member).

Well he 68 at this point

Raglan was 67 in the Crimea.

So it’s possible he could take the field but I’m not sure whether he would.

He would certainly keep a close eye on what was going on however.

The war of 1812 had that outcome because Britain devoted virtually non of its forces to the war.
Just one point yes the Zuls out numbered the Brits but the Brits had rapid fire rifles.
Also I thought Fergunson led regulars at KM if he didn't my bad, Its just two battles in the ARW that I knew US militia played a key factor.For what its worth calling any of the US troops in the ARW Regulars is a streach most of the Contenintals were originally colonial Militia.
Also thank you for saying the US troops in Nam did good I didn't think there were History Books out there that said anything but the US lost.

Imajin said:
Britain gave strong indications of annexing anything?

They set up a military governor and customs agent, allowed free trade between Maine and other British territories and the people of Maine in return surrendered and agreed to abide by whatever was determined at the peace table.

Ghost 88 said:
Just one point yes the Zuls out numbered the Brits but the Brits had rapid fire rifles.

Indeed they did but that would be outside militia vs. regulars.

Also I thought Fergunson led regulars at KM if he didn't my bad, Its just two battles in the ARW that I knew US militia played a key factor

His force was Loyalist militia with a small (> 10%) number of regulars.

For what its worth calling any of the US troops in the ARW Regulars is a streach most of the Contenintals were originally colonial Militia.

At the start certainly but they got training (eventually from Europeans) which transformed, as I pointed out Morgan knew there was a difference.

Also thank you for saying the US troops in Nam did good I didn't think there were History Books out there that said anything but the US lost.

True but they still hammered their enemies, it’s like Somalia were you hand kill ratios in the hundreds to one, but you still pulled out.

It was a loss for the US but on the battle field the US always won the stand up fights.

Darkling said:
No it wasn't the US had a regular army in the hundred of thousands, Pennsylvania raised a militia when it was invaded and they made it quite clear they weren't leaving the state.

The above statement is so blatantly wrong I can't actually think you mean what you are saying.
Sorry but the US regulars never achieved numbers like that. The bulk of the Union Army was Volunteer Militia. The Volunteers were never considered Regulars thier officers did not hold Regular commission. Example G.A,Custer was a Major General of Volunteers,at the end of the ACW he reverted to his Regular Army rank of LT.Colonel,and died 11 years later still an LC. The Bulk of the US fighting forces were always amatuers untill the Cold War.
As for a war against Britian at the time mentioned the US Army had very few regulars most of who were in the artillery.There was about 10,000 inf and IIRC no cavalry, at least the US had no cav.in 1832 during the Black Hawk War,In this case the local commander called on the Gov.of IL who called out the militia who mustered 2000 in a couple of days.
It would be militia that would fight in this war and as always happened as they fought more the better they would get .
By the way was the Mutiny at this time, if India was in one of her upheavels that would limit the Army's abillity.
Also how close was the Empire to going to war over the Belgian Independance or was that finished with.

Ghost 88 said:
Sorry but the US regulars never achieved numbers like that.

Look at 67th Tigers homepage, he has the army rolls.

They reach 400,000.

These were enlistments not militia; hell the US instituted a draft.

The bulk of the Union Army was Volunteer Militia. The Volunteers were never considered Regulars thier officers did not hold Regular commission. Example G.A,Custer was a Major General of Volunteers,at the end of the ACW he reverted to his Regular Army rank of LT.Colonel,and died 11 years later still an LC. The Bulk of the US fighting forces were always amatuers untill the Cold War.

If you are enlisted you are regular, semantics aside.

If the army has you for 24/7 and can drill you and march you wherever they like then you are a regular, despite the handing out of officers positions based upon political whims (after all a British man could get his self a position as an officer if he raised a force during some wars).

As for a war against Britian at the time mentioned the US Army had very few regulars most of who were in the artillery.There was about 10,000 inf and IIRC no cavalry, at least the US had no cav.in 1832 during the Black Hawk War,In this case the local commander called on the Gov.of IL who called out the militia who mustered 2000 in a couple of days.

Which doesn’t bode well for the US in this war.

It would be militia that would fight in this war and as always happened as they fought more the better they would get .

Maybe initially (which is why things will go badly for the US) but they will expand their army with volunteers who would get training.

By the way was the Mutiny at this time, if India was in one of her upheavels that would limit the Army's abillity.

Ye sit was at this time in the same way that the Falklands war is at this time (i.e. two decades difference).

Also how close was the Empire to going to war over the Belgian Independance or was that finished with.
The Belgian revolution was de facto recognised in 1830 but not de jure until 1839, it won't make much difference here.

Darkling said:
Indeed they did but that would be outside militia vs. regulars.

His force was Loyalist militia with a small (> 10%) number of regulars.

At the start certainly but they got training (eventually from Europeans) which transformed, as I pointed out Morgan knew there was a difference.

True but they still hammered their enemies, it’s like Somalia were you hand kill ratios in the hundreds to one, but you still pulled out.

It was a loss for the US but on the battle field the US always won the stand up fights.
On Zulus they are almost the classic Militia work at home go fight when called up.
It seems we are getting crosswise on this subject perhaps due to misunderstanding of our use of the terms
To me:
Regulars = fulltime 24/7/365 soilders,serve in peacetime and in wartime
Militia= All that serve at most part time have jobs as civilians serve fulltime only during war time.
It seemed to me your scope of regulars included those that I would call Militia(National Guard ,Reserves, Territorials,ect.)
These "part time soilders" can be quite good.I doubt the Brits would have wanted to fight The Army of the Potomic in April of 1865,for that I doubt they want any part of the ANV just before Gettysburg, this is not a statement that the UK would lose said battle just that it would be under the heading of things to avoid if at all possible.

Ghost 88 said:
It seems we are getting crosswise on this subject perhaps due to misunderstanding of our use of the terms
To me:
Regulars = fulltime 24/7/365 soilders,serve in peacetime and in wartime
Militia= All that serve at most part time have jobs as civilians serve fulltime only during war time.
It seemed to me your scope of regulars included those that I would call Militia(National Guard ,Reserves, Territorials,ect.)
These "part time soilders" can be quite good.I doubt the Brits would have wanted to fight The Army of the Potomic in April of 1865,for that I doubt they want any part of the ANV just before Gettysburg, this is not a statement that the UK would lose said battle just that it would be under the heading of things to avoid if at all possible.

What I define as militia are the guys who get called up at a moments notice, don't necessarily have any training (and probably not modern weaponry) and go home after the battle is over.

People who are enlisted or drafted aren’t militia, militia wasn’t fighting at the Somme and I can’t say I have heard anybody say they were.

Darkling I see what you were getting at, I still can not change my viewpoint on this. To me a regular is a professional fulltime soilder who serves in peace and war, this can include draftees in peacetime. The Militia is all others. I know calling them militia is streaching the term, but it made my arguement sound better. For what its worth I get this from the US Army's own way of classifying troops prior to the use of Social Security Numbers for Identification. If you enlisted into the Regular Army your number started with RA , draftees with US short for Uniformed Selective Services i.e. the draft.

Glen

Seems like there is a lot of dispute over the relative changes in levels of ability between the US and Britain over the course of the 19th/early 20th centuries.

One of these days I'll have to dig up my own answers on that issue...

Glen

Seems like there is a lot of dispute over the relative changes in levels of ability between the US and Britain over the course of the 19th/early 20th centuries.

One of these days I'll have to dig up my own answers on that issue...

This is how I'd put it...

ARW - ACW - Bet on Britain to win this, and they probably won't lose (could stalemate- see 1812) unless they're fighting literally everyone, and foreign troops are able to get to the Americas and break naval superiority (see ARW). Even then, Britain will not completely lose (see ARW and Canada)

ACW - Span-Am War - It becomes less certain. Still bet on Britain, but expect them to take very heavy losses in doing so. Foreign committments become an increasing issue, but Canada is a very important British colony so they will usually put in the effort to defend it absent something massive in Europe.

Span-Am War - WW1 - Don't bet. It's a toss-up, Britain or America could win. Depends on circumstances. Though, interestingly enough, the possibility of war with Britain becomes less and less, and by now America has important things overseas too.

WW1 - WW2 - America begins to gain the other hand. However, a war becomes less and less plausible as ties between the powers increase.

WW2 - Present - Absent massive PODs, a war is ASB, but would be an American walkover. We could probably defeat the UK even with massive otehr committments if we really put the effort into it, and America is not threatened. Britain has alot less to lose though- Canada fighting the US in such a scenario is even more ASB.