WI: United Nations Secretary-General Jimmy Carter

Jimmy Carter is often seen as a horrible President but as a great humanitarian through his work with the Carter Center which even led to him receiving the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002. So what if Jimmy Carter was elected as the Secretary-General of the United Nations? Is it even plausible? The best time period I can see it happening is after Kofi Annan's term since Carter had won the Nobel Peace Prize and was a well-respected humanitarian. Thoughts?

Delta Force

Banned
It's an unofficial rule that the Secretary General will never come from a P5 member, and will usually be chosen from a neutral state.

It is possible but Carter needs to be precived better by the public for it to happen
Was he not perceived well back then? His term as President was a long time ago, and he devoted his post-presidential life to humanitarian works in other countries. He had also won the Nobel Peace Prize. If Carter was a very hawkish President I can imagine why other countries would have serious issues, but he wasn't so what can they really hold against him?

Delta Force

Banned
Ah, was not aware of that, but that certainly makes sense. Conflict of interest, I suppose.

It's a common arrangement in situations in which one member has a disproportionately large influence. For example, there's an unofficial understanding that there will never be a Pope from the United States, the Joint Chiefs of Staff rotate which service head leads the group, NATO and NORAD exchange leadership between nations and branches, and the head of the legislative houses in Oregon are not selected from Portland area representatives.