WI Toyotomi Hideyoshi was adopted by the last Ashikaga Shogun?

Toyotomi Hideyoshi tried to get several important people to adopt him in order to adopt certain government titles IOTL. He succeeded with the Fujiwara, which ended with him taking the Kampaku and later Taiko title. Before he got adopted by the Fujiwaras however, he also tried to get the last Ashikaga Shogun to adopt him before being told to GFY.WI the last Ashikaga Shogun agreed? He would probably become shogun of course, but would a difference in the government office change anything if he only had a child as his like by the time of his death like OTL? I have heard some people claim that the reason why the Tokugawa could dislodge the Toyotomis so easily was because the title of shogun had more legitimacy as a ruler than kampaku, and was far more hereditary? The title of Kampaku was by all means higher than that of the shogun, and was used by many Fujiwara de facto rulers before the rise of the shogunate, so I am not really convinced of that statement. I have a feeling that the Tokugawas could still seize power had the same OTL events minus the change in title occurred.

It won't change much. The reason why Toyotomi got dislodged so easily was because Hideyoshi's heir was just too young (plus Hideyori was born from disliked concubine, rather than legitimate wife) to protect Toyotomi position and other clans position like Tokugawa were still too strong.
Since Japan was still fresh after civil war, actual military strength was more important than any authority given from titles.

The Ashikaga were legitimate shoguns but they were punching bag and puppet of other clans long before Oda Nobunaga finally removed them.

It won't change much. The reason why Toyotomi got dislodged so easily was because Hideyoshi's heir was just too young (plus Hideyori was born from disliked concubine, rather than legitimate wife) to protect Toyotomi position and other clans position like Tokugawa were still too strong.
Since Japan was still fresh after civil war, actual military strength was more important than any authority given from titles.

The Ashikaga were legitimate shoguns but they were punching bag and puppet of other clans long before Oda Nobunaga finally removed them.
My exact thoughts.Just don’t know why some people think that the shogun title is more legitimate. All those titles are at the end just government titles that could be revoked legally.

Last edited: