What if NATO didn't just include the European Nations but Pacific, African and Asian countries (Japan, Australia and New Zealand) to form TOTO (Trans Oceanic Treaty Organization) or PATO (Pacific Atlantic Treaty Organization) to fight against the USSR? What would have to happen to and how realistic could this be?

Last edited:
What if NATO didn't just include the European Nations but Pacific, African and Asian countries (Japan, Australia and New Zealand) to form TOTO (Trans Oceanic Treaty Organization) to fight against the USSR? What would have to happen to and how realistic could this be?
Khrushchev at the UN pounding his shoe: "We will bury you America.....and your little dog too!"

...and the alliance theme song comes quite naturally:

What if NATO didn't just include the European Nations but Pacific, African and Asian countries (Japan, Australia and New Zealand) to form TOTO (Trans Oceanic Treaty Organization) or PATO (Pacific Atlantic Treaty Organization) to fight against the USSR? What would have to happen to and how realistic could this be?
If you've expanded the remit of this Global Treaty Organisation to encompass the Earth, you now encounter the problem that the colonial holdings of the European powers are now under Article 5 protection. Norway won't be happy sending their boys to uphold Portuguese rule in Angola.

Whether it would be a good idea nowadays or not, in 1949 it would be unacceptable, even in America. A stronger SEATO would be a better bet, especially if South Vietnam somehow survives.

Last edited:
As @Sorairo mentioned, the main issue with such an organization would be how its remit would include protecting the colonial order and upholding colonialism in the process.

If you've expanded the remit of this Global Treaty Organisation to encompass the Earth, you now encounter the problem that the colonial holdings of the European powers are now under Article 5 protection. Norway won't be happy sending their boys to uphold Portuguese rule in Angola.

Whether it would be a good day nowadays or not, in 1949 it would be unacceptable, even in America. A stronger SEATO would be a better bet, especially if South Vietnam somehow survives.
A larger group might get the rules adjusted to prevent having to fight over colonies.

The problem with a global nato has always been two fold in my opinion. Firstly the unwillingness of most of the nations in places like Asia, Africa, and Oceania to commit to a nato style alliance and secondly the unwillingness of smaller nato countries in Europe to defend them. America was being a world power definitely had an interest at forming more secure defensive pacts with their allies in different parts of the world examples can be seen in the now defunct South East Asian Treaty Organization and the proposed North Pacific Treaty organization. These were created/preposed mainly to create a coherent mutual defense structure among American Allies In the Cold War as well as to contain communism. I think the most realistic way to make a global nato is it for to act more like a few little defensive pacts for each area of the world like SEATO was for south east Asia and NATO is for Europe. Most European would not want to defend nations on the other side of the world if they got invaded and Vice versa which makes this system where America (and possibly Canada) which as mentioned has interest in defending all its allies around the world the common pillar in each alliance.

Now with that rant done how to acually accomplish this? A more successful SEATO seems like the best way to me let’s say America is able to keep the pact coherent and together it could inspire more similar pacts to form as the first 2 we’re so successful at securing American interests. I think we could see a North Pacific pact with America, Japan, South Korea and some of the smaller island nations form it basically already exists in theory and so it would be easy to make formally real. The other one I think might form would be a Middle East pact in reaction to the Islamic revolution in Iran. There was already some attempts to make a NATO style defense alliance by the British after the Second World War and I think that a nato style alience including Saudi Arabia, The gulf States+Yemen, Jordan, and Israel

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Khrushchev at the UN pounding his shoe: "We will bury you America.....and your little dog too!"

...and the alliance theme song comes quite naturally:

I might as well just walk away from this thread right now.

Thread has been won

:D

PATO is a funny name if you speak portuguese, it means Duck.

"Pato" in Brazilian Portuguese is also an adjective to describe someone who is naive, lacking courage, easily fooled.